Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Reply
Posted Sep 6, 2009
7:26:36 PM
View profile
Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

I just discovered that ATT is now going to require all PDA phones to have a data plan after Sept. 6th.  I have seen all the reasoning behind this, and frankly, I am upset.  I am perfectly happy with my ATT Tilt using WiFi access only.  I have never desired to have a data plan and like to use the features of my phone without the bloated cost of a data plan,

 

ATT has stated that they feel this is necessary to help prevent customers from excessive data charges for people who do not get a data plan.  I say it is just to force people to pay for data plans even if they they are perfectly content without one.  I have never had excessive data usage charges because I am intelligent enough to understand that I only access data when I am on a WiFi network.  This ridiculous requirement is now going to force me to reconsider staying with ATT as my wireless carrier.  I was also considering upgrading from my Tilt to a Fuze, but now I am not so sure.

 

I would hope that ATT would reconsider this requirement and allow their customers to continue to have the choice on whether they feel they need a data plan or not.  In my case, I do not and would like to keep it that way.

 

 

 

 

I just discovered that ATT is now going to require all PDA phones to have a data plan after Sept. 6th.  I have seen all the reasoning behind this, and frankly, I am upset.  I am perfectly happy with my ATT Tilt using WiFi access only.  I have never desired to have a data plan and like to use the features of my phone without the bloated cost of a data plan,

 

ATT has stated that they feel this is necessary to help prevent customers from excessive data charges for people who do not get a data plan.  I say it is just to force people to pay for data plans even if they they are perfectly content without one.  I have never had excessive data usage charges because I am intelligent enough to understand that I only access data when I am on a WiFi network.  This ridiculous requirement is now going to force me to reconsider staying with ATT as my wireless carrier.  I was also considering upgrading from my Tilt to a Fuze, but now I am not so sure.

 

I would hope that ATT would reconsider this requirement and allow their customers to continue to have the choice on whether they feel they need a data plan or not.  In my case, I do not and would like to keep it that way.

 

 

 

 

Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

13,638 views
279 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Reply
View all replies
(279)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2009 11:35:32 AM
0
(0)
Mentor

guandalf wrote:

 

While data is a pipe, what you have mentioned above are called VAS (Value Added Services) and that is why you are billed separately for them, should you wish to subscribe! Like I said before, I can see why users would want a certain phone, without a data plan, however, AT&T decided that certain phones (cheaper ones) do not require it, while the more expensive, so-called PDA's do require it.  In fact, wait a few years, and I bet you that you will not see a single carrier, including the regional ones, that will have a single phone without data. In the not so distant future, "voice" will be an application on the network, just like any other app. This is the way the industry is going.


Correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe that most (if not all) cellular carriers are using digital tx/rx for voice (aka VOIP).  So in a sense..., voice really is just another data stream.  So what you are saying would already be in effect.  I would bet that in most circumstances, it is cheaper to move standard internet browser traffic than it is voice.  However, the pricing plans seem more focused around the popularity or desirability of a service rather than it's actual cost to operate.  Another reason that makes the data plan hard for me to swallow.

 

 


guandalf wrote:

 

While data is a pipe, what you have mentioned above are called VAS (Value Added Services) and that is why you are billed separately for them, should you wish to subscribe! Like I said before, I can see why users would want a certain phone, without a data plan, however, AT&T decided that certain phones (cheaper ones) do not require it, while the more expensive, so-called PDA's do require it.  In fact, wait a few years, and I bet you that you will not see a single carrier, including the regional ones, that will have a single phone without data. In the not so distant future, "voice" will be an application on the network, just like any other app. This is the way the industry is going.


Correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe that most (if not all) cellular carriers are using digital tx/rx for voice (aka VOIP).  So in a sense..., voice really is just another data stream.  So what you are saying would already be in effect.  I would bet that in most circumstances, it is cheaper to move standard internet browser traffic than it is voice.  However, the pricing plans seem more focused around the popularity or desirability of a service rather than it's actual cost to operate.  Another reason that makes the data plan hard for me to swallow.

 

 

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

151 of 280 (1,802 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2009 11:45:51 AM
0
(0)
Professor

varnk wrote:

guandalf wrote:

 

While data is a pipe, what you have mentioned above are called VAS (Value Added Services) and that is why you are billed separately for them, should you wish to subscribe! Like I said before, I can see why users would want a certain phone, without a data plan, however, AT&T decided that certain phones (cheaper ones) do not require it, while the more expensive, so-called PDA's do require it.  In fact, wait a few years, and I bet you that you will not see a single carrier, including the regional ones, that will have a single phone without data. In the not so distant future, "voice" will be an application on the network, just like any other app. This is the way the industry is going.


Correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe that most (if not all) cellular carriers are using digital tx/rx for voice (aka VOIP).  So in a sense..., voice really is just another data stream.  So what you are saying would already be in effect.  I would bet that in most circumstances, it is cheaper to move standard internet browser traffic than it is voice.  However, the pricing plans seem more focused around the popularity or desirability of a service rather than it's actual cost to operate.  Another reason that makes the data plan hard for me to swallow.

 

 


 

Yes and no. The last time I was consulting to a carrier was almost 10 years ago and I am not as familiar as I used to be with wireless network infrstructure. I believe LTE's infrastructure is more converged than what HSD(U)PA is. As for you last comment, that is what supply and demand dictates.

varnk wrote:

guandalf wrote:

 

While data is a pipe, what you have mentioned above are called VAS (Value Added Services) and that is why you are billed separately for them, should you wish to subscribe! Like I said before, I can see why users would want a certain phone, without a data plan, however, AT&T decided that certain phones (cheaper ones) do not require it, while the more expensive, so-called PDA's do require it.  In fact, wait a few years, and I bet you that you will not see a single carrier, including the regional ones, that will have a single phone without data. In the not so distant future, "voice" will be an application on the network, just like any other app. This is the way the industry is going.


Correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe that most (if not all) cellular carriers are using digital tx/rx for voice (aka VOIP).  So in a sense..., voice really is just another data stream.  So what you are saying would already be in effect.  I would bet that in most circumstances, it is cheaper to move standard internet browser traffic than it is voice.  However, the pricing plans seem more focused around the popularity or desirability of a service rather than it's actual cost to operate.  Another reason that makes the data plan hard for me to swallow.

 

 


 

Yes and no. The last time I was consulting to a carrier was almost 10 years ago and I am not as familiar as I used to be with wireless network infrstructure. I believe LTE's infrastructure is more converged than what HSD(U)PA is. As for you last comment, that is what supply and demand dictates.

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

152 of 280 (1,799 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2009 1:07:43 PM
0
(0)
Teacher
What you don't get is that you are getting and paying for something you want. The ones complaining and leaving AT&T are those that are paying for something they don't want or use.
What you don't get is that you are getting and paying for something you want. The ones complaining and leaving AT&T are those that are paying for something they don't want or use.

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

153 of 280 (1,776 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2009 1:18:02 PM
0
(0)
Expert

Crater1 wrote:
What you don't get is that you are getting and paying for something you want. The ones complaining and leaving AT&T are those that are paying for something they don't want or use.

This is a fairly new requirement (started on 9/6/09).  Everyone else who already had a smartphone prior to this date without having a data plan is exempt from the mandatory add-on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

Crater1 wrote:
What you don't get is that you are getting and paying for something you want. The ones complaining and leaving AT&T are those that are paying for something they don't want or use.

This is a fairly new requirement (started on 9/6/09).  Everyone else who already had a smartphone prior to this date without having a data plan is exempt from the mandatory add-on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

154 of 280 (1,769 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2009 11:27:55 PM
0
(0)
Teacher
That 's only part of the story. If your phone has to be replaced due to damage or failure - you will be upgraded without your permission even if you buy the phone from a third party or use your spare. IMEI number changes and you are hosed..... Even the "grandfather" clause is a scam.
That 's only part of the story. If your phone has to be replaced due to damage or failure - you will be upgraded without your permission even if you buy the phone from a third party or use your spare. IMEI number changes and you are hosed..... Even the "grandfather" clause is a scam.

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

155 of 280 (1,747 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2009 7:41:23 AM
0
(0)
Scholar
you always have the choice of changing companies.  I did last week on the 5th the day after my contract expired.  I love Sprint so far.  I'm able to get unlimited date Text and unlimted calling to all cell phones on any company fro around 20.00 less per month than ATT.  Although that wasn't the main reason I switched ATT coverage where I live has prgressively gotten worse over the years in my area. Their customer service is abominable and the forced data plan was just the straw that broke the camels back.  The one thing that will make ATT sit up and take notice is cutomers leaving and going to other companies. I don't care how much profit they make thats what they ar in buisness for I just don't have to pay for it I have a choice as we all do.
you always have the choice of changing companies.  I did last week on the 5th the day after my contract expired.  I love Sprint so far.  I'm able to get unlimited date Text and unlimted calling to all cell phones on any company fro around 20.00 less per month than ATT.  Although that wasn't the main reason I switched ATT coverage where I live has prgressively gotten worse over the years in my area. Their customer service is abominable and the forced data plan was just the straw that broke the camels back.  The one thing that will make ATT sit up and take notice is cutomers leaving and going to other companies. I don't care how much profit they make thats what they ar in buisness for I just don't have to pay for it I have a choice as we all do.

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

156 of 280 (1,722 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2009 8:40:03 PM
0
(0)
Contributor

If you purchase a smartphone from a third party that uses a sim card and then just switch your sim card over, would you still be required to purchase the data plan? Is AT&T able to differentiate between a smart phone and a none smart phone when this is done?

 

I just want a nice PDA with a nice camera, GPS, and wifi, but I do not need a data plan. Is that too much too ask? I cant do that though because there is no longer such a thing as PDA's. All PDA's are now smartphones, and they require a god darn data plan! I have wifi at my house, at my work, and on my college campus. Even if I didnt, I still wouldnt want a data plan. Smart phone operating systems are customizable and they have hundreds of uses that dont require a constant internet connection. 

 

I swear AT&T, I will never purchase a data plan for a tiny device that cost as much as my cable internet, which is infinitely more useful. If your data plan was coupled with fast, reliable, unlimited wireless for a PC and cell phone together, that would be a different story, but its not! I'll just contintue to use my crappy cell phone, upgrade ever two years, and sale the new free phone that I get on Ebay. I'll also call customer service often to let them know how disappointed I am. 

If you purchase a smartphone from a third party that uses a sim card and then just switch your sim card over, would you still be required to purchase the data plan? Is AT&T able to differentiate between a smart phone and a none smart phone when this is done?

 

I just want a nice PDA with a nice camera, GPS, and wifi, but I do not need a data plan. Is that too much too ask? I cant do that though because there is no longer such a thing as PDA's. All PDA's are now smartphones, and they require a god darn data plan! I have wifi at my house, at my work, and on my college campus. Even if I didnt, I still wouldnt want a data plan. Smart phone operating systems are customizable and they have hundreds of uses that dont require a constant internet connection. 

 

I swear AT&T, I will never purchase a data plan for a tiny device that cost as much as my cable internet, which is infinitely more useful. If your data plan was coupled with fast, reliable, unlimited wireless for a PC and cell phone together, that would be a different story, but its not! I'll just contintue to use my crappy cell phone, upgrade ever two years, and sale the new free phone that I get on Ebay. I'll also call customer service often to let them know how disappointed I am. 

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

157 of 280 (1,670 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2009 1:49:29 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

Crater1 wrote:
That 's only part of the story. If your phone has to be replaced due to damage or failure - you will be upgraded without your permission even if you buy the phone from a third party or use your spare. IMEI number changes and you are hosed..... Even the "grandfather" clause is a scam.

 

This is incorrect.  My sister just did a warranty exchange and there is no data requirement because she already had a smartphone without data.  When this first started I was told a warranty or insurance replacement would not trigger the data plan because it is input as a replacement however I have since been told that if you are grandfathered you will not be assigned data unless you activate new service, renew your contract, or upgrade your device with a subsidy.  I even asked about putting my BB on my sisters grandfathered line and was told this would also not trigger it, so it is not related to IMEI changes.  This being said, the odds are good that an unbranded device on a grandfathered line will be left alone.  They have also changed the website so that if you upgrade with no commintment pricing it no longer presents you with the smartphone warning pop up and will in fact let you purchase the device without a data plan, where as doing this with a subsidized device will not let you proceed to checkout without choicing a data plan.

Crater1 wrote:
That 's only part of the story. If your phone has to be replaced due to damage or failure - you will be upgraded without your permission even if you buy the phone from a third party or use your spare. IMEI number changes and you are hosed..... Even the "grandfather" clause is a scam.

 

This is incorrect.  My sister just did a warranty exchange and there is no data requirement because she already had a smartphone without data.  When this first started I was told a warranty or insurance replacement would not trigger the data plan because it is input as a replacement however I have since been told that if you are grandfathered you will not be assigned data unless you activate new service, renew your contract, or upgrade your device with a subsidy.  I even asked about putting my BB on my sisters grandfathered line and was told this would also not trigger it, so it is not related to IMEI changes.  This being said, the odds are good that an unbranded device on a grandfathered line will be left alone.  They have also changed the website so that if you upgrade with no commintment pricing it no longer presents you with the smartphone warning pop up and will in fact let you purchase the device without a data plan, where as doing this with a subsidized device will not let you proceed to checkout without choicing a data plan.

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

158 of 280 (1,657 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2009 3:35:31 AM
0
(0)
Scholar
sounds logical, and a good reason to continue the $5 a month insurance on my son's smartphone.   I can do insurance replacements as needed on it forever, and never renue my contract, therefore never kicking in the data charges, which are blocked on his phone for now
sounds logical, and a good reason to continue the $5 a month insurance on my son's smartphone.   I can do insurance replacements as needed on it forever, and never renue my contract, therefore never kicking in the data charges, which are blocked on his phone for now

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

159 of 280 (1,648 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2009 5:51:57 AM
0
(0)
Mentor

barbwyr wrote:

Crater1 wrote:
That 's only part of the story. If your phone has to be replaced due to damage or failure - you will be upgraded without your permission even if you buy the phone from a third party or use your spare. IMEI number changes and you are hosed..... Even the "grandfather" clause is a scam.

 

This is incorrect.  My sister just did a warranty exchange and there is no data requirement because she already had a smartphone without data.  When this first started I was told a warranty or insurance replacement would not trigger the data plan because it is input as a replacement however I have since been told that if you are grandfathered you will not be assigned data unless you activate new service, renew your contract, or upgrade your device with a subsidy.  I even asked about putting my BB on my sisters grandfathered line and was told this would also not trigger it, so it is not related to IMEI changes.  This being said, the odds are good that an unbranded device on a grandfathered line will be left alone.  They have also changed the website so that if you upgrade with no commitment pricing it no longer presents you with the smartphone warning pop up and will in fact let you purchase the device without a data plan, where as doing this with a subsidized device will not let you proceed to checkout without choicing a data plan.

Here is the dilemma that I am in.  I am currently on the 550 minute family plan with no data.  My family plan only allows up to 3 lines (I have all 3 lines in-use).  I need to add a fourth line soon for one of my daughters.  In order to do this I have to go to a new higher plan (which I think is ridiculous in itself) that will cause me to be on a new contract.  At that point in time, I am concerned that my Tilt phone will suddenly get converted to being charged for a data plan when I start a new contract because of the need to add another phone.  This is where the whole grandfathering thing seems to break down.

 

 


barbwyr wrote:

Crater1 wrote:
That 's only part of the story. If your phone has to be replaced due to damage or failure - you will be upgraded without your permission even if you buy the phone from a third party or use your spare. IMEI number changes and you are hosed..... Even the "grandfather" clause is a scam.

 

This is incorrect.  My sister just did a warranty exchange and there is no data requirement because she already had a smartphone without data.  When this first started I was told a warranty or insurance replacement would not trigger the data plan because it is input as a replacement however I have since been told that if you are grandfathered you will not be assigned data unless you activate new service, renew your contract, or upgrade your device with a subsidy.  I even asked about putting my BB on my sisters grandfathered line and was told this would also not trigger it, so it is not related to IMEI changes.  This being said, the odds are good that an unbranded device on a grandfathered line will be left alone.  They have also changed the website so that if you upgrade with no commitment pricing it no longer presents you with the smartphone warning pop up and will in fact let you purchase the device without a data plan, where as doing this with a subsidized device will not let you proceed to checkout without choicing a data plan.

Here is the dilemma that I am in.  I am currently on the 550 minute family plan with no data.  My family plan only allows up to 3 lines (I have all 3 lines in-use).  I need to add a fourth line soon for one of my daughters.  In order to do this I have to go to a new higher plan (which I think is ridiculous in itself) that will cause me to be on a new contract.  At that point in time, I am concerned that my Tilt phone will suddenly get converted to being charged for a data plan when I start a new contract because of the need to add another phone.  This is where the whole grandfathering thing seems to break down.

 

 

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

160 of 280 (1,642 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2009 6:01:29 AM
0
(0)
Scholar
i'm pretty sure you you can add to your family plan without it effecting the contracts of existing lines.  All of my lines have different expiration dates, and one doesn't seem to effect the others
i'm pretty sure you you can add to your family plan without it effecting the contracts of existing lines.  All of my lines have different expiration dates, and one doesn't seem to effect the others

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

161 of 280 (1,952 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2009 6:12:41 AM
0
(0)
Mentor

markfinley wrote:
i'm pretty sure you you can add to your family plan without it effecting the contracts of existing lines.  All of my lines have different expiration dates, and one doesn't seem to effect the others

Normally, if I were adding lines to an existing family plan, that would probably hold true.  However, I have to switch over to a new family plan because I have hit the maximum number of lines with my current family plan.  Because of this, I am not so sure that would be the case because I would have to start up a whole new contract.


markfinley wrote:
i'm pretty sure you you can add to your family plan without it effecting the contracts of existing lines.  All of my lines have different expiration dates, and one doesn't seem to effect the others

Normally, if I were adding lines to an existing family plan, that would probably hold true.  However, I have to switch over to a new family plan because I have hit the maximum number of lines with my current family plan.  Because of this, I am not so sure that would be the case because I would have to start up a whole new contract.

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

162 of 280 (1,950 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2009 6:15:58 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

I expanded my family plan from 550 to 1400 minutes and I dont remember it ever instituting a new plan.  You might want to a rep about this.  It might be as simple as first changing your minutes, and later adding a line.

I expanded my family plan from 550 to 1400 minutes and I dont remember it ever instituting a new plan.  You might want to a rep about this.  It might be as simple as first changing your minutes, and later adding a line.

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

163 of 280 (1,948 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2009 7:06:36 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

varnk wrote:

markfinley wrote:
i'm pretty sure you you can add to your family plan without it effecting the contracts of existing lines.  All of my lines have different expiration dates, and one doesn't seem to effect the others

Normally, if I were adding lines to an existing family plan, that would probably hold true.  However, I have to switch over to a new family plan because I have hit the maximum number of lines with my current family plan.  Because of this, I am not so sure that would be the case because I would have to start up a whole new contract.


I don't think you have to sign a contract just to change your voice plan.  You only sign a contract when you activiate new service, so if you change to the current family plan then a add the 4th line with a dumbphone you should be fine.  But as has been said, talk to a rep about it...in fact I would talk to a couple and get names so you have some backing when it's time to do it.

varnk wrote:

markfinley wrote:
i'm pretty sure you you can add to your family plan without it effecting the contracts of existing lines.  All of my lines have different expiration dates, and one doesn't seem to effect the others

Normally, if I were adding lines to an existing family plan, that would probably hold true.  However, I have to switch over to a new family plan because I have hit the maximum number of lines with my current family plan.  Because of this, I am not so sure that would be the case because I would have to start up a whole new contract.


I don't think you have to sign a contract just to change your voice plan.  You only sign a contract when you activiate new service, so if you change to the current family plan then a add the 4th line with a dumbphone you should be fine.  But as has been said, talk to a rep about it...in fact I would talk to a couple and get names so you have some backing when it's time to do it.

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

164 of 280 (1,941 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2009 9:45:53 AM
0
(0)
Teacher
I hope this is right but it is not what I was told. I was even contacted by "the assistant to the President" because I filed a complaint with the FTC. This person confirmed with her supervisor that any change in the IMEI number would trigger a data plan activation if and when the account was audited.
I hope this is right but it is not what I was told. I was even contacted by "the assistant to the President" because I filed a complaint with the FTC. This person confirmed with her supervisor that any change in the IMEI number would trigger a data plan activation if and when the account was audited.

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

165 of 280 (1,914 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2009 3:02:19 PM
0
(0)
Scholar

Crater1 wrote:
I hope this is right but it is not what I was told. I was even contacted by "the assistant to the President" because I filed a complaint with the FTC. This person confirmed with her supervisor that any change in the IMEI number would trigger a data plan activation if and when the account was audited.

 

THe new customer service response is no longer, "certain smartphone require a data plan".  Now it's "certain smartphones MAY require a data plan."  My sister did a warranty replacement and has not gotten the dreaded data required text.  She also had a dumbphone on the line for 2 weeks before she was able to get to the warranty replacement center, so putting a dumbphone in then going back to a new BB did not trigger a data requirement.  I am pressing the email service rep because they were very vague with their answer to a very specific question.  It seems rediculous that they can't give a straight answer to a long time customer.  Heck, if they give me the answer I believe they should based on what I am seeing, I will be buying a new phone.  I coul easily go to TMO and get the deal I want but as I told them I really like AT&T and would hate to go somewhere else just because they can't answer the question, even though the answer could be confirmation of the same thing I can get from TMO.

Crater1 wrote:
I hope this is right but it is not what I was told. I was even contacted by "the assistant to the President" because I filed a complaint with the FTC. This person confirmed with her supervisor that any change in the IMEI number would trigger a data plan activation if and when the account was audited.

 

THe new customer service response is no longer, "certain smartphone require a data plan".  Now it's "certain smartphones MAY require a data plan."  My sister did a warranty replacement and has not gotten the dreaded data required text.  She also had a dumbphone on the line for 2 weeks before she was able to get to the warranty replacement center, so putting a dumbphone in then going back to a new BB did not trigger a data requirement.  I am pressing the email service rep because they were very vague with their answer to a very specific question.  It seems rediculous that they can't give a straight answer to a long time customer.  Heck, if they give me the answer I believe they should based on what I am seeing, I will be buying a new phone.  I coul easily go to TMO and get the deal I want but as I told them I really like AT&T and would hate to go somewhere else just because they can't answer the question, even though the answer could be confirmation of the same thing I can get from TMO.

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

166 of 280 (1,875 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2009 6:28:07 PM
0
(0)
Contributor

Being long overdue for an upgrade, I went on-line to do just that.  I thought about the iphone but could not check out without the data plan selected.  I decided on the HTC Pure and I was not forced into a data plan to check out.  So dumb me, thought that meant I would not have to have a data plan.  I have received the phone along with an email stating that a data plan could be added to my account.  I called customer serviced and was told that I had to have a data plan.  So why did the website let me check out without the data plan selected?  Customer service didn't seem to know the answer to that question.  I have not even installed the battery on the new phone.  As much as I would love to replace my pda and cell phone with one unit I guess I won't be doing so.  This phone is going back to AT&T.  I refuse to pay for something I don't want just for the privilege of using an upgraded device. I will ditch AT&T and jump on board with the first cell phone service provider that will allow me to have a smart phone without a data plan.

Being long overdue for an upgrade, I went on-line to do just that.  I thought about the iphone but could not check out without the data plan selected.  I decided on the HTC Pure and I was not forced into a data plan to check out.  So dumb me, thought that meant I would not have to have a data plan.  I have received the phone along with an email stating that a data plan could be added to my account.  I called customer serviced and was told that I had to have a data plan.  So why did the website let me check out without the data plan selected?  Customer service didn't seem to know the answer to that question.  I have not even installed the battery on the new phone.  As much as I would love to replace my pda and cell phone with one unit I guess I won't be doing so.  This phone is going back to AT&T.  I refuse to pay for something I don't want just for the privilege of using an upgraded device. I will ditch AT&T and jump on board with the first cell phone service provider that will allow me to have a smart phone without a data plan.

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

167 of 280 (1,719 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2009 10:33:51 PM
0
(0)
Scholar

Pcryer wrote:

Being long overdue for an upgrade, I went on-line to do just that.  I thought about the iphone but could not check out without the data plan selected.  I decided on the HTC Pure and I was not forced into a data plan to check out.  So dumb me, thought that meant I would not have to have a data plan.  I have received the phone along with an email stating that a data plan could be added to my account.  I called customer serviced and was told that I had to have a data plan.  So why did the website let me check out without the data plan selected?  Customer service didn't seem to know the answer to that question.  I have not even installed the battery on the new phone.  As much as I would love to replace my pda and cell phone with one unit I guess I won't be doing so.  This phone is going back to AT&T.  I refuse to pay for something I don't want just for the privilege of using an upgraded device. I will ditch AT&T and jump on board with the first cell phone service provider that will allow me to have a smart phone without a data plan.


 

I still wonder if it will require and activation or if you can just insert your sim card and then if that works, if they add the plan.  I am waiting for funds to improve and then I will be trying just that with an unbranded device.  Soon hopefully.

Pcryer wrote:

Being long overdue for an upgrade, I went on-line to do just that.  I thought about the iphone but could not check out without the data plan selected.  I decided on the HTC Pure and I was not forced into a data plan to check out.  So dumb me, thought that meant I would not have to have a data plan.  I have received the phone along with an email stating that a data plan could be added to my account.  I called customer serviced and was told that I had to have a data plan.  So why did the website let me check out without the data plan selected?  Customer service didn't seem to know the answer to that question.  I have not even installed the battery on the new phone.  As much as I would love to replace my pda and cell phone with one unit I guess I won't be doing so.  This phone is going back to AT&T.  I refuse to pay for something I don't want just for the privilege of using an upgraded device. I will ditch AT&T and jump on board with the first cell phone service provider that will allow me to have a smart phone without a data plan.


 

I still wonder if it will require and activation or if you can just insert your sim card and then if that works, if they add the plan.  I am waiting for funds to improve and then I will be trying just that with an unbranded device.  Soon hopefully.

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

168 of 280 (1,698 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2009 12:22:13 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

barbwyr wrote:

 

I still wonder if it will require and activation or if you can just insert your sim card and then if that works, if they add the plan.  I am waiting for funds to improve and then I will be trying just that with an unbranded device.  Soon hopefully.

all you gotta do is stick your sim card in and you are ready to go...


barbwyr wrote:

 

I still wonder if it will require and activation or if you can just insert your sim card and then if that works, if they add the plan.  I am waiting for funds to improve and then I will be trying just that with an unbranded device.  Soon hopefully.

all you gotta do is stick your sim card in and you are ready to go...

From my iPhone 4

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

169 of 280 (1,688 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2009 1:13:26 PM
0
(0)
Contributor
I am due to upgrade my 3-yr old phone and don't want or need a data plan. I am a consumer who will use the features of a smartphone, but don't want to buy something I won't use. So instead of buying a phone from AT&T I'll buy one from a third party, use Wifi, save money, and be much happier.  And I will be discouraging people from becoming AT&T customers because as we've read before in this thread, they are no better than any other carrier.
I am due to upgrade my 3-yr old phone and don't want or need a data plan. I am a consumer who will use the features of a smartphone, but don't want to buy something I won't use. So instead of buying a phone from AT&T I'll buy one from a third party, use Wifi, save money, and be much happier.  And I will be discouraging people from becoming AT&T customers because as we've read before in this thread, they are no better than any other carrier.

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

170 of 280 (1,546 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2009 1:21:36 PM
0
(0)
Mentor

mkomeara wrote:
I am due to upgrade my 3-yr old phone and don't want or need a data plan. I am a consumer who will use the features of a smartphone, but don't want to buy something I won't use. So instead of buying a phone from AT&T I'll buy one from a third party, use Wifi, save money, and be much happier.  And I will be discouraging people from becoming AT&T customers because as we've read before in this thread, they are no better than any other carrier.

Sadly, the one thing, at least from my perspective, that made them better than other carriers was that they did not require the data plan.  Now that they are just like everyone else, what do they have to offer that nobody else provides?  I can't think of anything.  I received my Consumer Reports magazine this month that was dedicated to ranking cell phone carriers.  AT&T ranks at the bottom according to the research reported on Consumer Reports.

 

 

Another note to add to all of this is that I just went to an AT&T store to add a line for my daughter and was told by the AT&T salesperson that AT&T will soon be sending out text messages to all PDA phones warning them that data plans will be added to anyone with a PDA phone unless they switch to a new phone.  I wonder how many angry customers that will create?

 

 

 

 


mkomeara wrote:
I am due to upgrade my 3-yr old phone and don't want or need a data plan. I am a consumer who will use the features of a smartphone, but don't want to buy something I won't use. So instead of buying a phone from AT&T I'll buy one from a third party, use Wifi, save money, and be much happier.  And I will be discouraging people from becoming AT&T customers because as we've read before in this thread, they are no better than any other carrier.

Sadly, the one thing, at least from my perspective, that made them better than other carriers was that they did not require the data plan.  Now that they are just like everyone else, what do they have to offer that nobody else provides?  I can't think of anything.  I received my Consumer Reports magazine this month that was dedicated to ranking cell phone carriers.  AT&T ranks at the bottom according to the research reported on Consumer Reports.

 

 

Another note to add to all of this is that I just went to an AT&T store to add a line for my daughter and was told by the AT&T salesperson that AT&T will soon be sending out text messages to all PDA phones warning them that data plans will be added to anyone with a PDA phone unless they switch to a new phone.  I wonder how many angry customers that will create?

 

 

 

 

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

171 of 280 (1,629 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2009 2:08:05 PM
0
(0)
Guru
When you say "all PDA phones", what do you mean?  There are possibly THOUSANDS of PDA phone users who are "grandfathered" in and are not REQUIRED to obtain a data plan.  I still have my original Tilt, and do not (and will not) have a data plan.  Bring it...
When you say "all PDA phones", what do you mean?  There are possibly THOUSANDS of PDA phone users who are "grandfathered" in and are not REQUIRED to obtain a data plan.  I still have my original Tilt, and do not (and will not) have a data plan.  Bring it...

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

172 of 280 (1,620 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2009 2:21:03 PM
0
(0)
Mentor

sbriand wrote:
When you say "all PDA phones", what do you mean?  There are possibly THOUSANDS of PDA phone users who are "grandfathered" in and are not REQUIRED to obtain a data plan.  I still have my original Tilt, and do not (and will not) have a data plan.  Bring it...

 

I am just repeating what I was told.  I have a Tilt which I like to use without a data plan as well. 

 

I mentioned the "grandfathering" as well and was told that did not matter if you bought your phone within the last year.  However, when the sales rep. brought up my account she told me that since I had been a customer for as long as I had, that the system indicated I would not have to carry a data plan.  Confused?  So am I.

 

 

 

 


sbriand wrote:
When you say "all PDA phones", what do you mean?  There are possibly THOUSANDS of PDA phone users who are "grandfathered" in and are not REQUIRED to obtain a data plan.  I still have my original Tilt, and do not (and will not) have a data plan.  Bring it...

 

I am just repeating what I was told.  I have a Tilt which I like to use without a data plan as well. 

 

I mentioned the "grandfathering" as well and was told that did not matter if you bought your phone within the last year.  However, when the sales rep. brought up my account she told me that since I had been a customer for as long as I had, that the system indicated I would not have to carry a data plan.  Confused?  So am I.

 

 

 

 

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

173 of 280 (1,616 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2009 3:05:18 PM
0
(0)
Contributor
All it's going to take is one carrier to have the intelligence to listen to their customers instead of dictating to them.  We are notoriously stubborn and if pushed we will push back.  When an industry as a whole forces consumers to pay for services they don't want, they make themselves a target for government regulation.  I would hate to see that happen since the government doesn't do such a great job of handling things, but something needs to be done and consumers are too poorly organized.
All it's going to take is one carrier to have the intelligence to listen to their customers instead of dictating to them.  We are notoriously stubborn and if pushed we will push back.  When an industry as a whole forces consumers to pay for services they don't want, they make themselves a target for government regulation.  I would hate to see that happen since the government doesn't do such a great job of handling things, but something needs to be done and consumers are too poorly organized.

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

174 of 280 (1,610 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2009 4:58:25 PM
0
(0)
Mentor
Im so frustrated at this point im about to go to verizon. I can't get anyone at att to give me a decent price on a tilt 2 when others have provided reciepts to prove they got a better deal. I also have a company discount and they don't car. Im so sick of all of the stuff att does.
Im so frustrated at this point im about to go to verizon. I can't get anyone at att to give me a decent price on a tilt 2 when others have provided reciepts to prove they got a better deal. I also have a company discount and they don't car. Im so sick of all of the stuff att does.

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

175 of 280 (1,597 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2009 5:00:04 PM
0
(0)
Scholar

varnk wrote:

sbriand wrote:
When you say "all PDA phones", what do you mean?  There are possibly THOUSANDS of PDA phone users who are "grandfathered" in and are not REQUIRED to obtain a data plan.  I still have my original Tilt, and do not (and will not) have a data plan.  Bring it...

 

I am just repeating what I was told.  I have a Tilt which I like to use without a data plan as well. 

 

I mentioned the "grandfathering" as well and was told that did not matter if you bought your phone within the last year.  However, when the sales rep. brought up my account she told me that since I had been a customer for as long as I had, that the system indicated I would not have to carry a data plan.  Confused?  So am I.

 

 

 

 


 

This is why you can't listen to a rep at the store, half are clueless and the other half will lie to get you to buy a new device and make their numbers.  You have to research and the research currently indicates as she finally said that you would not need a data plan because, as we have discussed, you are grandfathered and the one thing AT&T has been consistant with is not reuiring existing costumers to change to new programs until they sign a contract or need a plan change.  I for example am on a Family Plan they call Family Business Plan because it was grandfathered from Cingular many years ago.  I have a plan that no one else can get because it's not available and I can keep it until I decide I need something that is not in my plan.  Same goes for the data requirement.  The odds are good that you could be a customer on month to month for another 10 years with them and not have data as long as you don't activiate a new device on the account.  They figure, eventually, everyone needs something that will require and contract change.

varnk wrote:

sbriand wrote:
When you say "all PDA phones", what do you mean?  There are possibly THOUSANDS of PDA phone users who are "grandfathered" in and are not REQUIRED to obtain a data plan.  I still have my original Tilt, and do not (and will not) have a data plan.  Bring it...

 

I am just repeating what I was told.  I have a Tilt which I like to use without a data plan as well. 

 

I mentioned the "grandfathering" as well and was told that did not matter if you bought your phone within the last year.  However, when the sales rep. brought up my account she told me that since I had been a customer for as long as I had, that the system indicated I would not have to carry a data plan.  Confused?  So am I.

 

 

 

 


 

This is why you can't listen to a rep at the store, half are clueless and the other half will lie to get you to buy a new device and make their numbers.  You have to research and the research currently indicates as she finally said that you would not need a data plan because, as we have discussed, you are grandfathered and the one thing AT&T has been consistant with is not reuiring existing costumers to change to new programs until they sign a contract or need a plan change.  I for example am on a Family Plan they call Family Business Plan because it was grandfathered from Cingular many years ago.  I have a plan that no one else can get because it's not available and I can keep it until I decide I need something that is not in my plan.  Same goes for the data requirement.  The odds are good that you could be a customer on month to month for another 10 years with them and not have data as long as you don't activiate a new device on the account.  They figure, eventually, everyone needs something that will require and contract change.

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

176 of 280 (1,594 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2009 5:06:13 PM
0
(0)
Scholar

mkomeara wrote:
I am due to upgrade my 3-yr old phone and don't want or need a data plan. I am a consumer who will use the features of a smartphone, but don't want to buy something I won't use. So instead of buying a phone from AT&T I'll buy one from a third party, use Wifi, save money, and be much happier.  And I will be discouraging people from becoming AT&T customers because as we've read before in this thread, they are no better than any other carrier.

I disagree...I still find AT&T to have superior service in my area and continue to recommend them over the others.  I simple let them know that if a smartphone is what they want then they will have to take data or find one of the few remaining backdoors untill they are closed.  After all...if they are doing the same thing everyone else does then they are back on par with the others as far as your comparison and should still be YOUR recommendation.  The best thing you can do for a friend or family member is to recommend the carrier that provides the best service in your area and if they live in another state the only thing you can recommend on is customer service as you would have no clue on their service in that area.


mkomeara wrote:
I am due to upgrade my 3-yr old phone and don't want or need a data plan. I am a consumer who will use the features of a smartphone, but don't want to buy something I won't use. So instead of buying a phone from AT&T I'll buy one from a third party, use Wifi, save money, and be much happier.  And I will be discouraging people from becoming AT&T customers because as we've read before in this thread, they are no better than any other carrier.

I disagree...I still find AT&T to have superior service in my area and continue to recommend them over the others.  I simple let them know that if a smartphone is what they want then they will have to take data or find one of the few remaining backdoors untill they are closed.  After all...if they are doing the same thing everyone else does then they are back on par with the others as far as your comparison and should still be YOUR recommendation.  The best thing you can do for a friend or family member is to recommend the carrier that provides the best service in your area and if they live in another state the only thing you can recommend on is customer service as you would have no clue on their service in that area.

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

177 of 280 (1,592 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2009 5:48:38 PM
0
(0)
Scholar
Edited by barbwyr on Dec 3, 2009 at 5:49:07 PM

brent_si wrote:
Im so frustrated at this point im about to go to verizon. I can't get anyone at att to give me a decent price on a tilt 2 when others have provided reciepts to prove they got a better deal. I also have a company discount and they don't car. Im so sick of all of the stuff att does.

 

Retail stores aren't required to price match because there are a vast number of reasons that others get better prices.  Your best bet is to call AT&T CS and ask them to price match but that doesn't mean they will.  After all, they are in the busniess to make money, so getting angry that they will not give you a deal like your friends is a waste of your nerves.  Watch for their online specials.  They do unadvertised specials all the time, like $9.99 refurbed 8900 Curves that a lot of people scored.
Message Edited by barbwyr on 12-03-2009 05:49:07 PM

brent_si wrote:
Im so frustrated at this point im about to go to verizon. I can't get anyone at att to give me a decent price on a tilt 2 when others have provided reciepts to prove they got a better deal. I also have a company discount and they don't car. Im so sick of all of the stuff att does.

 

Retail stores aren't required to price match because there are a vast number of reasons that others get better prices.  Your best bet is to call AT&T CS and ask them to price match but that doesn't mean they will.  After all, they are in the busniess to make money, so getting angry that they will not give you a deal like your friends is a waste of your nerves.  Watch for their online specials.  They do unadvertised specials all the time, like $9.99 refurbed 8900 Curves that a lot of people scored.
Message Edited by barbwyr on 12-03-2009 05:49:07 PM

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

[ Edited ]
178 of 280 (1,584 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2009 9:47:48 PM
0
(0)
Mentor

Im not looking for a price match. All of my friends who got the good deal work with me. Every one of them said they got a corperate discount and can prove it. I obviously work there too and none of the store's in or around cincinnati will honor that.

Im not looking for a price match. All of my friends who got the good deal work with me. Every one of them said they got a corperate discount and can prove it. I obviously work there too and none of the store's in or around cincinnati will honor that.

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

179 of 280 (1,569 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2009 10:39:12 AM
0
(0)
Scholar
ATT may now be on par with all the big 4 as far as requiring data with smart phones but just because everyone else does it doen't make it a good thing.  That was one of the many reasons I left ATT for sprint was the forced data plans on smart phones and yes I am forced to get data now with my HTC Hero but with 2 lines umlimited data text and 1500 shared minutes it is over 1/3 less than the Att plan I had without data and only 1500 text.  I have found their customer service has gotten consistently worse  over the years and in fact the oinly consistency that CS has is their inconsistency. In fact the polls show they are at the bottom of the big 4.  I realize all cell carriers have pockets or areas w/ no or little service.  I live right out side of St.Louis and my signal strength has over time gotten so bad where i live that I had to do something.  The straw that broke the camels back was when they removed the data block on my daughters phone in march and failed to notify me of the removal.  I hope alot more people leave them for another company and show them their disatisfaction
ATT may now be on par with all the big 4 as far as requiring data with smart phones but just because everyone else does it doen't make it a good thing.  That was one of the many reasons I left ATT for sprint was the forced data plans on smart phones and yes I am forced to get data now with my HTC Hero but with 2 lines umlimited data text and 1500 shared minutes it is over 1/3 less than the Att plan I had without data and only 1500 text.  I have found their customer service has gotten consistently worse  over the years and in fact the oinly consistency that CS has is their inconsistency. In fact the polls show they are at the bottom of the big 4.  I realize all cell carriers have pockets or areas w/ no or little service.  I live right out side of St.Louis and my signal strength has over time gotten so bad where i live that I had to do something.  The straw that broke the camels back was when they removed the data block on my daughters phone in march and failed to notify me of the removal.  I hope alot more people leave them for another company and show them their disatisfaction

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

180 of 280 (1,515 Views)
Share this post
Share this post