Helpful Links

Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

Scholar

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

well my biggest complant on the matter ...

I live about 45 miles from the nearest 3G network. Why should I have to pay for a service that I cant get??

Message 76 of 280
Professor

03hdfatboy wrote:

well my biggest complant on the matter ...

I live about 45 miles from the nearest 3G network. Why should I have to pay for a service that I cant get??

You do not have to have 3G for data. Edge can be used for data too, but obviously it is not as fast.

Message 77 of 280
Scholar

yeah I know..I'm using it now..and it is slow..
that's why I was wondering why should i hafta pay.fll.price for half the speed?
I live in the stix..my DSL is slower then my dads..but i don't hafta pay as much as he does. I wouldn't mind paying the 30 bucks if it was faster.
Message 78 of 280
Professor

03hdfatboy wrote:
yeah I know..I'm using it now..and it is slow..
that's why I was wondering why should i hafta pay.fll.price for half the speed?
I live in the stix..my DSL is slower then my dads..but i don't hafta pay as much as he does. I wouldn't mind paying the 30 bucks if it was faster.

Well, simple solution to the slow speed.  Move to an area with 3G service.

AT&T charges the same rate for data regardless of whether you live in an area with EDGE or 3G service.  They are constantly expanding and upgrading their network, so at some point, you will get 3G service.  Also, since it is a mobile device, you could be traveling anywhere and encounter 3G service.

Message 79 of 280
Scholar

satchev wrote:

Well, simple solution to the slow speed.  Move to an area with 3G service.

That makes a lot of sense..I'm gonna move to get better cell phone service? .... I know I am.

satchev wrote: you could be traveling anywhere and encounter 3G service

I go home and go to work less than 30 miles round trip... I don't go anywhere that has 3G service

Message 80 of 280

I've got 3G almost everywhere I go now and I know that I use the data connection a lot more than I did before.  The ability to get to things quickly means I'll use the browser on my phone now when I might have found another means to whatever I was looking for before.

In other words, to me at least, the data plan seems like a much better value if you've got 3G speeds.  I didn't even go to the unlimited plan until 3G was available in my area.  AT&T might get a little less resistance to this mandate if they waited until their 3G coverage was just about everywhere.

Message 81 of 280
Mentor

dgiordano wrote:

sbriand wrote:
I guess the sticking point with AT&T is that they offer all of their services "a la carte".  I looked at Sprint and T-Mo, and I can get family plans that include unlimited data and messaging for all lines on a plan.  With AT&T, I can do that with messaging, but I would have to add data at $30 or $15 for each phone.  I have three lines, and to add the data to all three would make AT&T the most expensive of the three carriers.

Looks like with Sprint, at least according to what you can do with the online tools, that for anybody on the plan to have a WinMo phone you need the "Simply Everything" plan at $90 per line.

On AT&T I've got a WinMo phone w/ the data package, my daughter and my mother have dumbphones and we have family unlimited texting and share a measly 450 minutes (none of us are big talkers).  I can't do anything like that on Sprint as far as I can tell.

I have the AT&T 450 family plan for myself, my wife and my daughter.  I wanted to add my other daughter to the plan as well until I read the terms that stated only a maximum of 3 devices was permitted on the 450 plan.  If I want to add up to 5 devices, then I would have to go to the 750 plan.  What a crock?  Why should I have to go to a plan with more minutes just because I have more phones?  If I choose to have the 450 plan, then let me worry about managing my families minute usage.  This is just another example of the frustration that these rate plans can cause.  Unfortunately, it is not just AT&T.  All of the carriers have plans that are structured to pen people in with services that they don't want or need.  They all seem to structure their plans with just enough difference to make the plans seem unique, but in reality, they are all protecting eachother's backs at the customer's expense.

Message Edited by varnk on 09-16-2009 07:31:41 AM
Message 82 of 280
Guru

If it's gonna cost me $720 over two years, I might just wait for AT&T to release the TP2 and buy one on eBay for $500 or so once the supply/demand slows down and still save a couple hundred bucks.
Message 83 of 280
Contributor

So which is it? A revenue generating program for AT&T or a way for customers to save money? I keep reading how this new requirement benefits the customer by saving them money, However you just stated it is revenue generating for AT&T, obviously it cannot be both. It's a contradiction for AT&T to state that it benefits the customer and will save them  on costly phone bills, and on the other hand it is generating revenue for AT&T.  If soooo many customers were having issues with increased phone bills due to not having a data plan you would think AT&T would like that and would NOT want you to have a data plan as paying per usage would cost the customer more which would make AT&T more money. It's total BS that AT&T uses the excuse that it saves the customer in the long run. Businesses do not MAKE money by saving the customer money.
Message 84 of 280
Scholar

sbriand wrote:
If it's gonna cost me $720 over two years, I might just wait for AT&T to release the TP2 and buy one on eBay for $500 or so once the supply/demand slows down and still save a couple hundred bucks.

The TP2 will probably be about $550 at full retail. The T-Mobile version is 549.99 without a contract, so I expect AT$T's price to be about the same. Two year contract price is rumored to be 349.99 after a $50.00 MIR (Which will require you to have the data plan). If you buy the phone at full retail, you can still get the rebate, although I don't think it will be worth it because you will have to have the data plan active on your line until you get your rebate. Rebates usually take 1 1/2 to 2 months to get.

Message 85 of 280
Explorer

Just get an unlocked smartphone and pay the lower data price. I pay 10.00/month on my family plan for unlimited data after having the 30.00/month iphone data plan. (The Iphone just had way too many limitations.) I gave them the imei of my unlocked phone. They cannot tell what phone you have as long as it's unbranded. They can only tell their branded phones when being used on their network. I have been doing this for years. Also I can tether with my phone without having to pay the extra 15/month. I mean why should they charge for the same data twice!!  I dont mind paying 10-15/month for unlimited data. But to charge 30 for the same data stream as a non-smart phone is ridicoulous.  I have had a non-smart phone and a smartphone and did speed test. The same speed. I was told by at&t smartphones have faster data speed. Not true!!! I have used 5-6Gb on a non-smart phone and a smartphone. So does it really process data differently. Not so. (I stream music and video about 8 -10hrs a day when I'm at work. Gotta stay entertained.). So really at&t is just needing a way to increase their revenue. Maybe one day things will change, but I can only see more greed coming from all phone carriers. So yeah the unlocked way is the way to go.

Message Edited by blakkheartt12 on 09-23-2009 06:33:17 PM
Message 86 of 280
Professor

blakkheartt12 wrote:

Just get an unlocked smartphone and pay the lower data price. I pay 10.00/month on my family plan for unlimited data after having the 30.00/month iphone data plan. (The Iphone just had way too many limitations.) I gave them the imei of my unlocked phone. They cannot tell what phone you have as long as it's unbranded. They can only tell their branded phones when being used on their network. I have been doing this for years. Also I can tether with my phone without having to pay the extra 15/month. I mean why should they charge for the same data twice!!  I dont mind paying 10-15/month for unlimited data. But to charge 30 for the same data stream as a non-smart phone is ridicoulous.  I have had a non-smart phone and a smartphone and did speed test. The same speed. I was told by at&t smartphones have faster data speed. Not true!!! I have used 5-6Gb on a non-smart phone and a smartphone. So does it really process data differently. Not so. (I stream music and video about 8 -10hrs a day when I'm at work. Gotta stay entertained.). So really at&t is just needing a way to increase their revenue. Maybe one day things will change, but I can only see more greed coming from all phone carriers. So yeah the unlocked way is the way to go.

Message Edited by blakkheartt12 on 09-23-2009 06:33:17 PM

I am not sure who told you that smartphones have faster speeds, but they were not correct. The reason smartphones are charged more than regular phone is because they assume that people using smartphones will consume more data than non smartphone users.
Message 87 of 280
Explorer

I am not sure who told you that smartphones have faster speeds, but they were not correct. The reason smartphones are charged more than regular phone is because they assume that people using smartphones will consume more data than non smartphone users.

It was a corporate at&t rep. I knew they were full of crap.

Message 88 of 280
Explorer

I Think the data plan sucks. I like the smartphones but don't use data.
Message 89 of 280

I am completely unhappy with this requirement too.  I am eligible and wanting to upgrade our phones and I wanted to get the Nokia e71x for a few reasons:

1. The camera.  I use the camera feature on my current phone a lot, to send pics of my kids to family. So a  good camera and flash matters to me.  I shouldn't have to go to a cameraphone that is lower quality than what I have now.

2.  The full keyboard.  We recently upgraded to Family unlimited messaging, so I am definitely into the idea of a full keyboard.

3.  The design.  I do not like flip phones, and I am not too thrilled with the slider type I have now.

4. No touch screen. I really do not want a touch screen.

None of the non-smartphones AT&T has can meet all my desires.  We don't use our phones for business, we don't use the internet from our phones,  we don't use any of the apps that usually come with any phone- we are just a family who wants to have good phones that have the features that best fit us and our life. If we really had the need for data, we could add the family data right now for $10 per line, but we have no use for it.  Verizon has the LG EnV 3 which meets all my wants, and does not require a data plan- they have pay-per-use as an option for data.  I hate to switch providers though, because I get really good call reception up here in the mountains with AT&T, and I have been with AT&T for a while now..  I am just unhappy that I am so limited in phone choices now because of the pda data plan requirement.  I've no idea what to do at this point.

Message 90 of 280
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support