Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

Scholar

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

Yes nygman some people do use the smartphone for other thing than data. I used to carry  a HP PDA and my cell phone when the better smartphones came out I combined to one device mostly for the word and excel functions.At this point in my life I have no need ( or desire) to be connected to the internet 24/7 I have many more important thigs to do than stay connected all day long.  Just because all the other carriers do the same thing doesn't make it the right thing to do they are just following along.   
Message 61 of 280 (3,610 Views)
Scholar

htcfan wrote:
did you not read the story on BGR? Canceling the data plan is no longer an option. Read this and make sure you have all the facts before you post.

No I didn't and my apologizes I didn't know that they changed it THAT way..I was wandering why everyone was making such a big deal out of it..now I know. that id messed up. I have 2 smart phones on my plan and some sites classify the propel as a smart phone so that means I have 4 smart phones.. my phone is the only one with the data plan. I have the $15 a month unlimited..does that mean I'd have to go to the $30 one?

Message 62 of 280 (3,585 Views)
Scholar

For the hellof it I contacted AT&T and asked if I got the new Fuse could I still keep my data plan...and here is what I was told

The fuse will NOT work with the $15/mo data plan it has to have the PDA plan..

I told him..

That was what I was told about my Palm when I got it and it worked just fine

That was what I was told about my Q9h when I got it and it worked just fine

and my Tilt that I have now works just fine. Looks like AT&T are trying to rip people off.

I asked him how dumb did AT&T think there costumers were..I got no comment and he left the chat.

Message 63 of 280 (3,581 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

03hdfatboy wrote:

htcfan wrote:
did you not read the story on BGR? Canceling the data plan is no longer an option. Read this and make sure you have all the facts before you post.

No I didn't and my apologizes I didn't know that they changed it THAT way..I was wandering why everyone was making such a big deal out of it..now I know. that id messed up. I have 2 smart phones on my plan and some sites classify the propel as a smart phone so that means I have 4 smart phones.. my phone is the only one with the data plan. I have the $15 a month unlimited..does that mean I'd have to go to the $30 one?

The Samsung Propel is not a PDA, however, the Propel Pro is. The way to know the difference is in the software. If your Samsung has Windows Mobile (ie - does it have a start button in the bottom left corner?), then you have the Propel Pro. If it has the somewhat standard software on it, then it is not considered a PDA. As far as the data plan you are using now, Unless you upgrade your phone, and sign a new contract, you might be safe with what you have (but keep in mind that you are violating AT$T's Terms of Service). However, If you do upgrade your phone to any Windows Mobile, Palm OS, or Blackberry, they will automatically switch you to the $30 plan.

Message Edited by htcfan on 09-15-2009 12:18:55 PM
Message 64 of 280 (3,559 Views)

htcfan wrote:
 If you do upgrade your phone to any Windows Mobile, Palm OS, or Blackberry, they will automatically switch you to the $30 plan.

Symbian too.

Message 65 of 280 (3,548 Views)
Scholar

dgiordano wrote:

htcfan wrote:
 If you do upgrade your phone to any Windows Mobile, Palm OS, or Blackberry, they will automatically switch you to the $30 plan.

Symbian too.

Agreed. Sorry I missed that one. I'm not used to Nokia's being considered smart phones (although they are good devices).

Message 66 of 280 (3,545 Views)

htcfan wrote:

I'm not used to Nokia's being considered smart phones (although they are good devices).

I flirted with the idea of getting an unlocked 5800 to tide me over until the new HTC devices came out (a couple of keys on my Tilt keyboard have gotten very finicky) but I decided to just wait it out.

Message 67 of 280 (3,537 Views)
Scholar

guandalf wrote:

yatrg wrote:

<SARCASM> Lexus has said that they no longer are selling cars with standard FM radio... You have to buy a Sirius plan. So next time I buy a Lexus, I will have to pay $15 a month for sattelite radio which I do not use. (Never mind that all other luxury cars already have implemented this.) So I am not only going to drive my current Lexus off a bridge, I am going to smash my wife's Toyota too because they are from the same company. Oh - wait - I know - I will file a class action law suit! Why? Because I can! </SARCASM>

Of course, I know that Crater1 can not be that blind, after all, he can type. So he must be trying to "get your goat". Don't let him. Smiley Happy And do not forget to laugh!

Another bad analogy.... As you are already buying service from AT&T, you have to agree to their ToS. You are not buying a service from Sirius, so you have a choice... but if you were to buy a service from Sirius, let me know, after you are successful in getting the price of the contract reduced because you only listen to 1 station instead of the 100+ they offer....

No - not a bad analogy... I am buying a service from Lexus. I purchase the hardware (the car) and the add ons (customer service, free oil changes. etc.) In my analogy, I find out that my next purchase will require me to pay for a service I have no use for so I trash my car and my wifes car to spite Lexus. Which is what the guy who is going to cancel his U-Verse is claiming he will do.

In reality, no one's existing TOS is changing. So as I see it, you have four choices.

1. Do not sign another contract (stay month to month). What you lose here is the $100s of dollars that AT&T gives you off of a new phone.

2. Cancel your existing service out of spite even though it is not affected by this. What you lose here is that every other national carrier will cost you more for what you have now from AT&T as you will have to sign a contract with them and purcahse a data plan.

3. Log onto the AT&T forums and claim to have contacted the FCC and started a class action lawsuit and hope AT&T is so scared that they back out their plan. You lose nothing with this choice as you are obviously do not have much left to lose.

4. Buy a PDA with WiFi and get a non-smartphone. The loss here is the cost of a new PDA, and your pants might fall down if your belt is not tight enough and you have a phone, PDA, pager, and fat wallet all in your pocket. And do not forget all those keys.

Message 68 of 280 (3,503 Views)
Professor

yatrg wrote:
guandalf wrote:

yatrg wrote:

<SARCASM> Lexus has said that they no longer are selling cars with standard FM radio... You have to buy a Sirius plan. So next time I buy a Lexus, I will have to pay $15 a month for sattelite radio which I do not use. (Never mind that all other luxury cars already have implemented this.) So I am not only going to drive my current Lexus off a bridge, I am going to smash my wife's Toyota too because they are from the same company. Oh - wait - I know - I will file a class action law suit! Why? Because I can! </SARCASM>

Of course, I know that Crater1 can not be that blind, after all, he can type. So he must be trying to "get your goat". Don't let him. Smiley Happy And do not forget to laugh!

Another bad analogy.... As you are already buying service from AT&T, you have to agree to their ToS. You are not buying a service from Sirius, so you have a choice... but if you were to buy a service from Sirius, let me know, after you are successful in getting the price of the contract reduced because you only listen to 1 station instead of the 100+ they offer....

No - not a bad analogy... I am buying a service from Lexus. I purchase the hardware (the car) and the add ons (customer service, free oil changes. etc.) In my analogy, I find out that my next purchase will require me to pay for a service I have no use for so I trash my car and my wifes car to spite Lexus. Which is what the guy who is going to cancel his U-Verse is claiming he will do.

In reality, no one's existing TOS is changing. So as I see it, you have four choices.

1. Do not sign another contract (stay month to month). What you lose here is the $100s of dollars that AT&T gives you off of a new phone.

2. Cancel your existing service out of spite even though it is not affected by this. What you lose here is that every other national carrier will cost you more for what you have now from AT&T as you will have to sign a contract with them and purcahse a data plan.

3. Log onto the AT&T forums and claim to have contacted the FCC and started a class action lawsuit and hope AT&T is so scared that they back out their plan. You lose nothing with this choice as you are obviously do not have much left to lose.

4. Buy a PDA with WiFi and get a non-smartphone. The loss here is the cost of a new PDA, and your pants might fall down if your belt is not tight enough and you have a phone, PDA, pager, and fat wallet all in your pocket. And do not forget all those keys.

Actually, MetroPCS is fast becoming a national carrier and does not force you to have a data plan.

Message 69 of 280 (3,494 Views)
Guru

I guess the sticking point with AT&T is that they offer all of their services "a la carte".  I looked at Sprint and T-Mo, and I can get family plans that include unlimited data and messaging for all lines on a plan.  With AT&T, I can do that with messaging, but I would have to add data at $30 or $15 for each phone.  I have three lines, and to add the data to all three would make AT&T the most expensive of the three carriers.
Message 70 of 280 (3,486 Views)
Professor

sbriand wrote:
I guess the sticking point with AT&T is that they offer all of their services "a la carte".  I looked at Sprint and T-Mo, and I can get family plans that include unlimited data and messaging for all lines on a plan.  With AT&T, I can do that with messaging, but I would have to add data at $30 or $15 for each phone.  I have three lines, and to add the data to all three would make AT&T the most expensive of the three carriers.

That could well be. Different carriers work best for different people. If they all offered the same plans, there would not be any competition.

Message 71 of 280 (3,547 Views)

sbriand wrote:

Looks like with Sprint, at least according to what you can do with the online tools, that for anybody on the plan to have a WinMo phone you need the "Simply Everything" plan at $90 per line.

On AT&T I've got a WinMo phone w/ the data package, my daughter and my mother have dumbphones and we have family unlimited texting and share a measly 450 minutes (none of us are big talkers).  I can't do anything like that on Sprint as far as I can tell.

Message 72 of 280 (3,540 Views)
Guru

The "Everything Data Family" Plan is $129 for 1500 shared minutes on the first two lines, then $20/mo for each additional line.  The package includes unlimited data and tex/mms messages.  I built (but did not buy) that plan and included the TP2 for me, the Pre for my wife, and a basic phone for my daughter.  Total chage per month was to be $149.98, (plus taxes/fees).   Not bad.  I'm still thinking it over....
Message 73 of 280 (3,507 Views)

sbriand wrote:
The "Everything Data Family" Plan is $129 for 1500 shared minutes on the first two lines, then $20/mo for each additional line.  The package includes unlimited data and tex/mms messages.  I built (but did not buy) that plan and included the TP2 for me, the Pre for my wife, and a basic phone for my daughter.  Total chage per month was to be $149.98, (plus taxes/fees).   Not bad.  I'm still thinking it over....

Just remember that Sprint has a smaller footprint when it comes to coverage.  At least look at a comparable carrier, like VZW or even T-Mobster.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold
Message 74 of 280 (3,499 Views)
Scholar

yatrg wrote:

Well, I do miss out on the $100s of dollars that they take off of a phone, but usually that's only $200 - $250 applied to a two-year contract.

If I'm forced into a data plan that I don't use, that $360 for ONE year, $720 for two years.  Cheaper to buy a phone retail, without at&t's "help".

Message 75 of 280 (3,498 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.