Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 6, 2009
7:26:36 PM
View profile
Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

I just discovered that ATT is now going to require all PDA phones to have a data plan after Sept. 6th.  I have seen all the reasoning behind this, and frankly, I am upset.  I am perfectly happy with my ATT Tilt using WiFi access only.  I have never desired to have a data plan and like to use the features of my phone without the bloated cost of a data plan,

ATT has stated that they feel this is necessary to help prevent customers from excessive data charges for people who do not get a data plan.  I say it is just to force people to pay for data plans even if they they are perfectly content without one.  I have never had excessive data usage charges because I am intelligent enough to understand that I only access data when I am on a WiFi network.  This ridiculous requirement is now going to force me to reconsider staying with ATT as my wireless carrier.  I was also considering upgrading from my Tilt to a Fuze, but now I am not so sure.

I would hope that ATT would reconsider this requirement and allow their customers to continue to have the choice on whether they feel they need a data plan or not.  In my case, I do not and would like to keep it that way.

I just discovered that ATT is now going to require all PDA phones to have a data plan after Sept. 6th.  I have seen all the reasoning behind this, and frankly, I am upset.  I am perfectly happy with my ATT Tilt using WiFi access only.  I have never desired to have a data plan and like to use the features of my phone without the bloated cost of a data plan,

ATT has stated that they feel this is necessary to help prevent customers from excessive data charges for people who do not get a data plan.  I say it is just to force people to pay for data plans even if they they are perfectly content without one.  I have never had excessive data usage charges because I am intelligent enough to understand that I only access data when I am on a WiFi network.  This ridiculous requirement is now going to force me to reconsider staying with ATT as my wireless carrier.  I was also considering upgrading from my Tilt to a Fuze, but now I am not so sure.

I would hope that ATT would reconsider this requirement and allow their customers to continue to have the choice on whether they feel they need a data plan or not.  In my case, I do not and would like to keep it that way.

Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

279 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(279)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2009 4:15:44 PM
(0)
Contributor
Who said anything about doing tethering illegally? I'll gladly abuse legally paid tethering, you can count on it.
Who said anything about doing tethering illegally? I'll gladly abuse legally paid tethering, you can count on it.

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

121 of 280 (1,905 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2009 5:01:28 PM
(0)
Guru
I've never read the tethering TOS, but I do know (as stated earlier) that it has a 5gb/month limit.  What's the per mb penalty once you exceed that?
I've never read the tethering TOS, but I do know (as stated earlier) that it has a 5gb/month limit.  What's the per mb penalty once you exceed that?

122 of 280 (1,888 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2009 5:47:46 AM
(0)
Scholar
I was asking guandolf about the two Samsung phones he mentioned.  The sprint hero can be set up with the full version of documents to go for 29.99. The original reason I got a smart phone was for the speadsheet capability I'm able to keep available without two devices and not carry a briefcase all the time.  So now I will go to Sprint and get twice as many minutes unlimited texting and according to them unlimited internet for 129.99  before my corp disc. of 17% So i'll save roughly 30.00 a month and get the internet.  15 days and counting
I was asking guandolf about the two Samsung phones he mentioned.  The sprint hero can be set up with the full version of documents to go for 29.99. The original reason I got a smart phone was for the speadsheet capability I'm able to keep available without two devices and not carry a briefcase all the time.  So now I will go to Sprint and get twice as many minutes unlimited texting and according to them unlimited internet for 129.99  before my corp disc. of 17% So i'll save roughly 30.00 a month and get the internet.  15 days and counting

123 of 280 (1,851 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2009 8:24:54 PM
(0)
Scholar

OK-after reading all the posts in this thread, I too am unhappy about the forced data plan. However, I consider myself quite fortunate that I have 5 phones on my family plan, with 500 minutes and unlimited texting for about $130 month. Yes, an old plan, but suits us well. 4 of the 5 phones are smartphones/PDAs. I read that as long as I don't sign a new contract, I won't be forced into a data plan and can keep my PDAs. Now, my question: if I upgrade the line that doesn't have the smartphone, does the new agreement I sign apply to only that line, or will it apply to all lines in the family plan? Since the non-PDA phone is my youngest's phone, it does need to be replaced, and not with a smartphone. Should I play it safe and just buy a new phone off ebay and don't sign any kind of agreement, or would I be safe to upgrade that line, and sign a new agerement. without jeopardizing the other 4 lines? (does that make sense?)

I think I'll just start shopping ebay anyhow--and let my lines expire so that we can jump ship if any other companies decide to give ATT some real competion.

OK-after reading all the posts in this thread, I too am unhappy about the forced data plan. However, I consider myself quite fortunate that I have 5 phones on my family plan, with 500 minutes and unlimited texting for about $130 month. Yes, an old plan, but suits us well. 4 of the 5 phones are smartphones/PDAs. I read that as long as I don't sign a new contract, I won't be forced into a data plan and can keep my PDAs. Now, my question: if I upgrade the line that doesn't have the smartphone, does the new agreement I sign apply to only that line, or will it apply to all lines in the family plan? Since the non-PDA phone is my youngest's phone, it does need to be replaced, and not with a smartphone. Should I play it safe and just buy a new phone off ebay and don't sign any kind of agreement, or would I be safe to upgrade that line, and sign a new agerement. without jeopardizing the other 4 lines? (does that make sense?)

I think I'll just start shopping ebay anyhow--and let my lines expire so that we can jump ship if any other companies decide to give ATT some real competion.

124 of 280 (1,759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2009 8:41:43 PM
(0)
Scholar

msiscrm wrote:

That's my plan too.

msiscrm wrote:

That's my plan too.

From my iPhone 4

125 of 280 (1,755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2009 9:00:30 AM
(0)
Teacher

The issue I have with ATT is that they are making a very good profit that now they feel they can do whatever they want with their customers.  And they love to use the "contract" as their backup without any consideration to the customer.  They could have eased the transition with a change in their data plans, but after several calls and chats with their customer support, this ain't gonna happen.  I hope Sprint and Verizon gets stronger and stronger, and pushes ATT out of the market.  The greed ATT is showing will only get them so far...

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/10/25/t-mobile-officially-unveils-99-even-more-79-even-more-plus-pl/

http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/onlinestore/en/Action/DisplayPlans

GO VERIZON, GO SPRINT!

The issue I have with ATT is that they are making a very good profit that now they feel they can do whatever they want with their customers.  And they love to use the "contract" as their backup without any consideration to the customer.  They could have eased the transition with a change in their data plans, but after several calls and chats with their customer support, this ain't gonna happen.  I hope Sprint and Verizon gets stronger and stronger, and pushes ATT out of the market.  The greed ATT is showing will only get them so far...

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/10/25/t-mobile-officially-unveils-99-even-more-79-even-more-plus-pl/

GO VERIZON, GO SPRINT!

126 of 280 (1,709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2009 9:14:49 AM
(0)
Professor

GS07 wrote:

GO VERIZON, GO SPRINT!

So now you want to be able to determine how much AT&T makes?! If you owned a business, you would know there is no such thing as very good profit. Any business has an objective of making more profit, and the beautiful thing about it, thankfully, that it is legitimate!

GS07 wrote:

GO VERIZON, GO SPRINT!

So now you want to be able to determine how much AT&T makes?! If you owned a business, you would know there is no such thing as very good profit. Any business has an objective of making more profit, and the beautiful thing about it, thankfully, that it is legitimate!

127 of 280 (1,705 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2009 8:37:18 PM
(0)
Teacher

"So now you want to be able to determine how much AT&T makes?!"

No, I'd like to have a choice of not having to pay for something I don't use.

"If you owned a business, you would know there is no such thing as very good profit."

There is making a profit, and there is forcing people to buy something they don't use.  

"Any business has an objective of making more profit, and the beautiful thing about it, thankfully, that it is legitimate!"

Legitimate yes, but more so unethical.  I gotta say that you sound like an ATT corporate goon that only sees the bottomline.  All I ask is that ATT provide a more affordable plan, and I will pay for it.  As of now, they are not getting anything but voice from me.  

"If you owned a business, you would know there is no such thing as very good profit."

There is making a profit, and there is forcing people to buy something they don't use.  

"Any business has an objective of making more profit, and the beautiful thing about it, thankfully, that it is legitimate!"

Legitimate yes, but more so unethical.  I gotta say that you sound like an ATT corporate goon that only sees the bottomline.  All I ask is that ATT provide a more affordable plan, and I will pay for it.  As of now, they are not getting anything but voice from me.  

128 of 280 (1,657 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2009 8:49:17 PM
(0)
Professor

GS07 wrote:

If AT&T doesn't offer what you need, perhaps a different carrier will. They have the right to decide what devices are used on their network and how those devices are used. No, I do not work for AT&T.

GS07 wrote:

If AT&T doesn't offer what you need, perhaps a different carrier will. They have the right to decide what devices are used on their network and how those devices are used. No, I do not work for AT&T.

129 of 280 (1,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2009 6:01:16 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by varnk on Oct 26, 2009 at 6:02:45 AM

guandalf wrote:

GS07 wrote:

You may not work for AT&T, but it sounds as though you are of the idea that you can never have enough profit no matter how many people you step on in the process, including your customers.  No one is denying that companies have the right to make money, but people in the business world need to understand that you can still make money and maintain customer satisfaction at the same time.  You do not have to sacrifice one over the other if you know what you are doing.  I was a very satisfied AT&T customer until this year when changes went into effect that were obviously meant to increase profits on an already highly profitable business, at the expense of loyal customers.

All that most people are saying in this thread is that as a paying customer, we do not want to pay for things that we do not use, nor do we want to be hemmed in with inflexible choices that are obviously meant to manipulate us into spending more money than we need to.  It is not like we are asking for anything new here; the wireless rate plans were structured to allow for much better choices than they do now.

Message Edited by varnk on 10-26-2009 06:02:45 AM

guandalf wrote:

GS07 wrote:

You may not work for AT&T, but it sounds as though you are of the idea that you can never have enough profit no matter how many people you step on in the process, including your customers.  No one is denying that companies have the right to make money, but people in the business world need to understand that you can still make money and maintain customer satisfaction at the same time.  You do not have to sacrifice one over the other if you know what you are doing.  I was a very satisfied AT&T customer until this year when changes went into effect that were obviously meant to increase profits on an already highly profitable business, at the expense of loyal customers.

All that most people are saying in this thread is that as a paying customer, we do not want to pay for things that we do not use, nor do we want to be hemmed in with inflexible choices that are obviously meant to manipulate us into spending more money than we need to.  It is not like we are asking for anything new here; the wireless rate plans were structured to allow for much better choices than they do now.

Message Edited by varnk on 10-26-2009 06:02:45 AM

[ Edited ]
130 of 280 (1,616 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2009 7:48:49 AM
(0)
Teacher
After numerous chats with ATT customer service, it has become evident that ATT is not concerned about losing customers.  They will still require a data plan even if you buy a phone full price.  This is not about recouping the cost of the phone, but squeezing every cent out of their customers. 
After numerous chats with ATT customer service, it has become evident that ATT is not concerned about losing customers.  They will still require a data plan even if you buy a phone full price.  This is not about recouping the cost of the phone, but squeezing every cent out of their customers. 

131 of 280 (1,799 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2009 8:06:11 AM
(0)
Scholar

I will leave at&t and go to any other carrier over this. I have one more year on my contract.  I realise all the other carriers have this too, but I'm p1ssed and every month paying $30 for something that's a waste to me will make me more angry at at&t.  

They abused us when they were our land line provider and they are doing it now.

I will leave at&t and go to any other carrier over this. I have one more year on my contract.  I realise all the other carriers have this too, but I'm p1ssed and every month paying $30 for something that's a waste to me will make me more angry at at&t.  

They abused us when they were our land line provider and they are doing it now.

posted from my Captivate.

132 of 280 (1,787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2009 8:23:44 AM
(0)
Guru

wekebu wrote:

Paying ~$30/mo. to T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint instead will make you feel better?

If I didn't already have the data plan this would have annoyed me too but considering everybody else has roughly the same policy I'd stick with whoever is giving me the best service (that's wireless service, not customer service).  Holding a grudge against a major corporation is fruitless.  At the end of the day they're all the same and all care just as little about you as an individual.

wekebu wrote:

Paying ~$30/mo. to T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint instead will make you feel better?

If I didn't already have the data plan this would have annoyed me too but considering everybody else has roughly the same policy I'd stick with whoever is giving me the best service (that's wireless service, not customer service).  Holding a grudge against a major corporation is fruitless.  At the end of the day they're all the same and all care just as little about you as an individual.

133 of 280 (1,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2009 8:44:01 AM
(0)
Scholar
I wouldn't have an issue with the 30 bucks a month if i could GET 3G service.
I wouldn't have an issue with the 30 bucks a month if i could GET 3G service.
From my iPhone 4

134 of 280 (1,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2009 2:31:08 PM
(0)
Scholar
Well Sprint offers alot more for a lot less and apparently T-Mobile is dropping their rates as well.  I realize differnt carriers have better coverage here and there but ATT has been promising better coverge where I live for over 5 years well the coverage has gotten worse.  Plus their CS sucks. Well Sprint hs the coverage I need and they are actively growing in my area. 7 days to go until my contract expires. and I'll be outa here I also hope many other people leave maybe they will get the message.
Well Sprint offers alot more for a lot less and apparently T-Mobile is dropping their rates as well.  I realize differnt carriers have better coverage here and there but ATT has been promising better coverge where I live for over 5 years well the coverage has gotten worse.  Plus their CS sucks. Well Sprint hs the coverage I need and they are actively growing in my area. 7 days to go until my contract expires. and I'll be outa here I also hope many other people leave maybe they will get the message.

135 of 280 (1,718 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2009 8:53:53 PM
(0)
Guru

If my coverage was as bad as yours I'd have left long ago, forced data charge notwithstanding.

My AT&T coverage is excellent.  Verizon is pretty good around me too but T-Mobile and Sprint are crap.  Watch T-Mobile too.  Without the 850MHz band they are seldom as good as AT&T when you're inside large buildings.  I suppose their 1700MHz 3G band might help but I don't think their 3G buildout is anywhere near as big as AT&T's.

Can't fault anybody for going for the best coverage where they need it.

If my coverage was as bad as yours I'd have left long ago, forced data charge notwithstanding.

My AT&T coverage is excellent.  Verizon is pretty good around me too but T-Mobile and Sprint are crap.  Watch T-Mobile too.  Without the 850MHz band they are seldom as good as AT&T when you're inside large buildings.  I suppose their 1700MHz 3G band might help but I don't think their 3G buildout is anywhere near as big as AT&T's.

Can't fault anybody for going for the best coverage where they need it.

136 of 280 (1,692 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2009 5:50:23 AM
(0)
Scholar
The forced data plan was just the straw that broke the camels back.  ATT has been promising better coverage in my area ever since they took down a tower a couple of years ago it never transpired at first they said it would in a couple of months then they started denying taking the tower down ever happened.  I've had 6 different fuze phones this on keeps turning itself off they will not replace it with a pure or tilt2 unless I upgrade and sign a new 2 year contract granted they are willing to sell it to me for $100.00 but that is also with the data plan which I currently don't have.  I'm tored of the BS and lies.  I've done alot of research the last few weeks and it seems Sprint has much better customer service and I really like the android UI.  I seems loke its much more user friendly and customizable over WinMo and not nearly as much bloatware.
The forced data plan was just the straw that broke the camels back.  ATT has been promising better coverage in my area ever since they took down a tower a couple of years ago it never transpired at first they said it would in a couple of months then they started denying taking the tower down ever happened.  I've had 6 different fuze phones this on keeps turning itself off they will not replace it with a pure or tilt2 unless I upgrade and sign a new 2 year contract granted they are willing to sell it to me for $100.00 but that is also with the data plan which I currently don't have.  I'm tored of the BS and lies.  I've done alot of research the last few weeks and it seems Sprint has much better customer service and I really like the android UI.  I seems loke its much more user friendly and customizable over WinMo and not nearly as much bloatware.

137 of 280 (1,659 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2009 8:56:03 PM
(0)
Contributor

I purchased a Samsung Blackjack with the"optional" data plan so I could get the mail-in rebate. After my rebate was processed, I searched and searched online for how to cancel my data plan. I ended up sending an email to customer service since it was after hours for phoning customer service. I received an email giving me a deadline for canceling my data plan. If I miss the deadline I am required to carry the data plan for the life of the phone if receiving service through ATT. Today is the deadline - I was behind on my email so I feel lucky that I even got to the email in time. I cannot believe that I would be committed to an additional $30 a month if I had happened to get to this email a day late. The email informed me that if I ever choose to have the date plan again, I cannot ever cancel it.

Although I enjoyed the data plan, it is much too expensive for me (and it does not even include texting!). I purchased the phone so I could sync up with my calendar on my computer at work. I can do this without the data plan. I hope this issue is resolved my AT&T before I am forced at my next phone purchase to search elsewhere for what I need, pay more on my bill, or just do without.

I purchased a Samsung Blackjack with the"optional" data plan so I could get the mail-in rebate. After my rebate was processed, I searched and searched online for how to cancel my data plan. I ended up sending an email to customer service since it was after hours for phoning customer service. I received an email giving me a deadline for canceling my data plan. If I miss the deadline I am required to carry the data plan for the life of the phone if receiving service through ATT. Today is the deadline - I was behind on my email so I feel lucky that I even got to the email in time. I cannot believe that I would be committed to an additional $30 a month if I had happened to get to this email a day late. The email informed me that if I ever choose to have the date plan again, I cannot ever cancel it.

Although I enjoyed the data plan, it is much too expensive for me (and it does not even include texting!). I purchased the phone so I could sync up with my calendar on my computer at work. I can do this without the data plan. I hope this issue is resolved my AT&T before I am forced at my next phone purchase to search elsewhere for what I need, pay more on my bill, or just do without.

138 of 280 (1,593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2009 6:29:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

This crap is why the FTC should never have allowed AT&T and Cingular to merge.  If we had more telecoms in business, it would behave more like a free market rather than a cartel.  The major networks changing their policies at the same time to require a $30/month data plan smells of illegal collusion.

Also, about the "huge" subsidies that AT&T offers--the Touch Pro 2 was over 6 months old when it was released by AT&T.  With the rapidly decreasing costs of new technologies, I'd be surprised if AT&T didn't make an immediate profit off the "subsidized" Touch Pro 2.  In other words, I'd be surprised if AT&T pays more for the phone than the $350 + $20 activation fee of the phone.  Then the monthly voice and data plans are just gravy.

AT&T brings us phones 6 months late (e.g., why can't I upgrade to an HD 2 now, like all of England can?), overcharges for the phone, for the data plan, and makes us purchase text messaging as an extra (isn't a text message just another form of data?).  And they get away with it because there aren't enough major competitors (like Cingular used to be).

I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but it probably won't involve upgrading to an almost last gen phone at an uber-premium price with AT&T.  If AT&T wants to charge premium prices (= to Verizon) on old phones, then maybe I should switch to the better network (Verizon) or to a lower cost plan (Sprint).

This crap is why the FTC should never have allowed AT&T and Cingular to merge.  If we had more telecoms in business, it would behave more like a free market rather than a cartel.  The major networks changing their policies at the same time to require a $30/month data plan smells of illegal collusion.

Also, about the "huge" subsidies that AT&T offers--the Touch Pro 2 was over 6 months old when it was released by AT&T.  With the rapidly decreasing costs of new technologies, I'd be surprised if AT&T didn't make an immediate profit off the "subsidized" Touch Pro 2.  In other words, I'd be surprised if AT&T pays more for the phone than the $350 + $20 activation fee of the phone.  Then the monthly voice and data plans are just gravy.

AT&T brings us phones 6 months late (e.g., why can't I upgrade to an HD 2 now, like all of England can?), overcharges for the phone, for the data plan, and makes us purchase text messaging as an extra (isn't a text message just another form of data?).  And they get away with it because there aren't enough major competitors (like Cingular used to be).

I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but it probably won't involve upgrading to an almost last gen phone at an uber-premium price with AT&T.  If AT&T wants to charge premium prices (= to Verizon) on old phones, then maybe I should switch to the better network (Verizon) or to a lower cost plan (Sprint).

139 of 280 (1,459 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2009 6:50:41 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Crater1 on Nov 8, 2009 at 6:51:31 PM

As we predicted – has anyone noticed AT&T’s stock prices since September? Down – down – down. That‘s what happens when you don’t take care of your customers. Mandatory data plans is a bad idea AT&T but what am I saying – you don’t listen.

Message Edited by Crater1 on 11-08-2009 06:51:31 PM

As we predicted – has anyone noticed AT&T’s stock prices since September? Down – down – down. That‘s what happens when you don’t take care of your customers. Mandatory data plans is a bad idea AT&T but what am I saying – you don’t listen.

[ Edited ]
140 of 280 (1,453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2009 7:12:28 PM
(0)
Professor

Crater1 wrote:

hmmmmm.. where did you get that? Lets not forget that AT&T publishes results for its other devisions as well (land lines, internet, etc) and not just wireless, so your claim is totally incorrect. However, looking at their results year to date, I see that their stock has gone up as you can see here.

By contrast, lets look at:

• Verizon
  • Sprint
  • T-mobile i snot publicly traded because it is a division of duetsche telekom

Based on the above I dont think AT&T is doing that bad. In fact if you look at the numbers published this past quarter, they have performed better than any other carrier, adding almost 100% more new subscribers than Verizon!

Crater1 wrote:

hmmmmm.. where did you get that? Lets not forget that AT&T publishes results for its other devisions as well (land lines, internet, etc) and not just wireless, so your claim is totally incorrect. However, looking at their results year to date, I see that their stock has gone up as you can see here.

• Verizon
  • Sprint

Based on the above I dont think AT&T is doing that bad. In fact if you look at the numbers published this past quarter, they have performed better than any other carrier, adding almost 100% more new subscribers than Verizon!

141 of 280 (1,187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2009 7:26:22 PM
(0)
Professor

aak4 wrote:

Or you can always go to MetroPCS or Boost Mobile. I guarantee you that you will pay even less. Much less!

aak4 wrote:

Or you can always go to MetroPCS or Boost Mobile. I guarantee you that you will pay even less. Much less!

142 of 280 (1,186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2009 6:16:09 AM
(0)
Mentor

guandalf wrote:

Crater1 wrote:

• Verizon
  • Sprint

General Motors found out the hard way that if you don't give your customer's what they want, they will eventually go somewhere else to find it.  Unfortunately big companies like AT&T and GM get out of touch with their customers by putting greed ahead of their customers; then eventually end up paying the price when their stock takes a huge tumble. 

guandalf wrote:

Crater1 wrote:

• Verizon
  • Sprint

General Motors found out the hard way that if you don't give your customer's what they want, they will eventually go somewhere else to find it.  Unfortunately big companies like AT&T and GM get out of touch with their customers by putting greed ahead of their customers; then eventually end up paying the price when their stock takes a huge tumble. 

143 of 280 (1,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2009 6:39:06 AM
(0)
Professor

varnk wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Crater1 wrote:

• Verizon
  • Sprint

That is true of every company. However, please speak for yourself, as up until now I have been receiving what I want from AT&T. If I did not, you can be rest assured, that I would have long been gone to a different carrier. I would also be greatful if you could enlighten me and show me what others give that AT&T does not regarding a data plan.

varnk wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Crater1 wrote:

• Verizon
  • Sprint

That is true of every company. However, please speak for yourself, as up until now I have been receiving what I want from AT&T. If I did not, you can be rest assured, that I would have long been gone to a different carrier. I would also be greatful if you could enlighten me and show me what others give that AT&T does not regarding a data plan.

144 of 280 (1,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2009 6:51:24 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by varnk on Nov 9, 2009 at 6:52:22 AM

guandalf wrote:

What I want is what I had when I originally signed on with AT&T, and that is the choice of whether to have a data plan or not.  This is what attracted me to AT&T in the first place.  Now they elect to be like everyone else by eliminating the choice I once had.  Is that supposed to make me feel better about them now that they are just like all of the other carriers that I did not originally pick?  What is the point of having multiple carriers if they all decide to offer the same restricted rate plans that are all worded differently just enough to avoid FTC anti-trust laws?  That is not what I would call competition.

Maybe GM and all other car companies should ban together and force all people who have cars with OnStar to have to carry the OnStar monitoring plan whether they want it or not.  Le'ts see how many people are attracted to that!

Message Edited by varnk on 11-09-2009 06:52:22 AM

guandalf wrote:

What I want is what I had when I originally signed on with AT&T, and that is the choice of whether to have a data plan or not.  This is what attracted me to AT&T in the first place.  Now they elect to be like everyone else by eliminating the choice I once had.  Is that supposed to make me feel better about them now that they are just like all of the other carriers that I did not originally pick?  What is the point of having multiple carriers if they all decide to offer the same restricted rate plans that are all worded differently just enough to avoid FTC anti-trust laws?  That is not what I would call competition.

Maybe GM and all other car companies should ban together and force all people who have cars with OnStar to have to carry the OnStar monitoring plan whether they want it or not.  Le'ts see how many people are attracted to that!

[ Edited ]
145 of 280 (1,149 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2009 7:01:06 AM
(0)
Professor

varnk wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Last time I checked GM dont subsidize the cars you buy from them...

varnk wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Last time I checked GM dont subsidize the cars you buy from them...

146 of 280 (1,146 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2009 10:34:45 AM
(0)
Teacher

said: "I would also be greatful if you could enlighten me and show me what others give that AT&T does not regarding a data plan."

Are you implying that it's ok to extort because others are doing it? You are completely missing the point!

said: "I would also be greatful if you could enlighten me and show me what others give that AT&T does not regarding a data plan."

Are you implying that it's ok to extort because others are doing it? You are completely missing the point!

147 of 280 (1,111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2009 10:42:59 AM
(0)
Professor

Crater1 wrote:

Extort? I need a data plan and I am paying for one (less, by the way, for what I would pay for the same one at Verizon's). Unless I am missing something, I would like to understand how exactly am I being extorted?

If you do not need a data plan and don't want to pay for one, you will have the purchase a device that doesn't require you to have one. Pretty simple to me. While I can see the need for some users to have a PDA without one, unfortunately, these are AT&T's new ToS, and I really can't see how they extort you.

Crater1 wrote:

Extort? I need a data plan and I am paying for one (less, by the way, for what I would pay for the same one at Verizon's). Unless I am missing something, I would like to understand how exactly am I being extorted?

If you do not need a data plan and don't want to pay for one, you will have the purchase a device that doesn't require you to have one. Pretty simple to me. While I can see the need for some users to have a PDA without one, unfortunately, these are AT&T's new ToS, and I really can't see how they extort you.

148 of 280 (1,106 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2009 10:58:59 AM
(0)
Mentor

guandalf wrote:

Crater1 wrote:

I am completely bewildered by your reasoning. 

So... because you are happy with your phone and data plan then that makes it ok for others to be charged for one even though they do not want to use a data plan.  Does your phone have GPS on it?  If so, then you should automatically be enrolled into AT&T's GPS service as well.  Is your phone capable of streaming media?  If so, then you should automatically be enrolled in all of AT&T's streaming media services.  What about XMRadio?  If your phone can run the XMRadio app on it, then you should automatically be charged for it too.

Don't you see that this is how a service-oriented business model can run amok?  If they can do it in one feature area, then why not continue with others as well?

guandalf wrote:

Crater1 wrote:

So... because you are happy with your phone and data plan then that makes it ok for others to be charged for one even though they do not want to use a data plan.  Does your phone have GPS on it?  If so, then you should automatically be enrolled into AT&T's GPS service as well.  Is your phone capable of streaming media?  If so, then you should automatically be enrolled in all of AT&T's streaming media services.  What about XMRadio?  If your phone can run the XMRadio app on it, then you should automatically be charged for it too.

Don't you see that this is how a service-oriented business model can run amok?  If they can do it in one feature area, then why not continue with others as well?

149 of 280 (1,103 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2009 11:15:34 AM
(0)
Professor

varnk wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Crater1 wrote:

While data is a pipe, what you have mentioned above are called VAS (Value Added Services) and that is why you are billed separately for them, should you wish to subscribe! Like I said before, I can see why users would want a certain phone, without a data plan, however, AT&T decided that certain phones (cheaper ones) do not require it, while the more expensive, so-called PDA's do require it.  In fact, wait a few years, and I bet you that you will not see a single carrier, including the regional ones, that will have a single phone without data. In the not so distant future, "voice" will be an application on the network, just like any other app. This is the way the industry is going.

varnk wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Crater1 wrote:

While data is a pipe, what you have mentioned above are called VAS (Value Added Services) and that is why you are billed separately for them, should you wish to subscribe! Like I said before, I can see why users would want a certain phone, without a data plan, however, AT&T decided that certain phones (cheaper ones) do not require it, while the more expensive, so-called PDA's do require it.  In fact, wait a few years, and I bet you that you will not see a single carrier, including the regional ones, that will have a single phone without data. In the not so distant future, "voice" will be an application on the network, just like any other app. This is the way the industry is going.

150 of 280 (1,093 Views)