Helpful Links

Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

Scholar

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

I'm also wondering of another loophole..

 

My son has a smartphone, but uses wifi with data blocked.   I'm guessing I can never keep that line with that feature if I upgrade, but what if I use his insurance policy to get hima new phone as his wears out?  He deductible is'nt that much, so if his pone breaks, I can just pay that to get a new one,and keep my old grandfathered plan.    I'd rather pay $5 a month for insurance than $30 a month for data

 

 

Message 31 of 280
Professor

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.


markfinley wrote:

I'm also wondering of another loophole..

 

My son has a smartphone, but uses wifi with data blocked.   I'm guessing I can never keep that line with that feature if I upgrade, but what if I use his insurance policy to get hima new phone as his wears out?  He deductible is'nt that much, so if his pone breaks, I can just pay that to get a new one,and keep my old grandfathered plan.    I'd rather pay $5 a month for insurance than $30 a month for data

 

 


 

this is not really a loophole. It is just like purchasing an unlocked device, just your 3rd party insurance subdizing it.
Message 32 of 280
Scholar

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

It's nice to know it's an option for me, but unless somebody already had a phone with insurance and no data plan, it really doens't help out that many other people.

 

 

Message 33 of 280
Mentor

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.


htcfan wrote:
I was told by customer care that IF I were to purchase a new device at full retail price, my existing contract would still be grandfathered, as contract law prevents AT&T from changing the terms of the existing contract. As long as you do not extend your contract (and therefore sign a new contract), you should not be required to have the data plan.

 

Maybe I am wrong on this, but let's say that I add another family member to my family plan with a regular phone (non-smartphone).  Does that automatically put me on a new two year contract?  If so, does the grandfatherring still apply or now do I suddenly have to pay for the data plan on my Tilt even though I did not change phones, but merely added a new phone to my plan?
Message Edited by varnk on 09-11-2009 05:55:07 AM
Message 34 of 280

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

I think that the obligation (and therefore the contract) on family plans are on a per-line basis.  For example, I know that you can add a line mid-term and then drop it 2 years later without affecting the status of the primary line.  When I recently upgraded my daughter's phone I only signed an agreement with regards to her number.

 

Typically with stuff like this you won't know until you try.  AT&T probably won't have policies written for every scenario.  You'll be able to do whatever the system allows you to do whether it's online or with the help of a CSR. 

Message 35 of 280
Scholar

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.


varnk wrote:

htcfan wrote:
I was told by customer care that IF I were to purchase a new device at full retail price, my existing contract would still be grandfathered, as contract law prevents AT&T from changing the terms of the existing contract. As long as you do not extend your contract (and therefore sign a new contract), you should not be required to have the data plan.

 

Maybe I am wrong on this, but let's say that I add another family member to my family plan with a regular phone (non-smartphone).  Does that automatically put me on a new two year contract?  If so, does the grandfatherring still apply or now do I suddenly have to pay for the data plan on my Tilt even though I did not change phones, but merely added a new phone to my plan?
Message Edited by varnk on 09-11-2009 05:55:07 AM

The new contract would apply to the new line of service only. Your existing line should remain under the original contract, and therefore remain grandfathered. In order for AT$T to change the terms of the existing contract, you have to agree to the new terms and re-sign. I am in the process of writing a letter to AT$T requesting a review of my account and the amount of time that I use my phones in areas that I am roaming versus not roaming. If my usage is greater than 60% roaming, AT$T will let me out of my contracts for all my lines, and terminate my service. Hopefully I will be able to bid the Money Hungry Death Star goodbye soon.

Message Edited by htcfan on 09-11-2009 04:34:45 PM
Message 36 of 280
Professor

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.


htcfan wrote:

varnk wrote:

htcfan wrote:
I was told by customer care that IF I were to purchase a new device at full retail price, my existing contract would still be grandfathered, as contract law prevents AT&T from changing the terms of the existing contract. As long as you do not extend your contract (and therefore sign a new contract), you should not be required to have the data plan.

 

Maybe I am wrong on this, but let's say that I add another family member to my family plan with a regular phone (non-smartphone).  Does that automatically put me on a new two year contract?  If so, does the grandfatherring still apply or now do I suddenly have to pay for the data plan on my Tilt even though I did not change phones, but merely added a new phone to my plan?
Message Edited by varnk on 09-11-2009 05:55:07 AM

The new contract would apply to the new line of service only. Your existing line should remain under the original contract, and therefore remain grandfathered. In order for AT$T to change the terms of the existing contract, you have to agree to the new terms and re-sign. I am in the process of writing a letter to AT$T requesting a review of my account and the amount of time that I use my phones in areas that I am roaming versus not roaming. If my usage is greater than 60% roaming, AT$T will let me out of my contracts for all my lines, and terminate my service. Hopefully I will be able to bid the Money Hungry Death Star goodbye soon.

Message Edited by htcfan on 09-11-2009 04:34:45 PM

 

What carrier are you thinking of switching to?
Message 37 of 280

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.


guandalf wrote:

 

What carrier are you thinking of switching to?

The one that doesn't require a data plan for a SmartPhone.

 

 

 

 

...Oh right, there isn't one.

Message 38 of 280
Professor

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.


dgiordano wrote:

guandalf wrote:

 

What carrier are you thinking of switching to?

The one that doesn't require a data plan for a SmartPhone.

 

 

 

 

...Oh right, there isn't one.


 

I am sure you realize that you limit yourself only to the smaller regional carriers as all big ones require a data plan
Message 39 of 280
Scholar

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.


dgiordano wrote:

guandalf wrote:

 

What carrier are you thinking of switching to?

The one that doesn't require a data plan for a SmartPhone.

 

 

 

 

...Oh right, there isn't one.


Who said I was switching? I'd rather just do without a cell phone than to be forced to pay for something that I will never use.
Message 40 of 280
Professor

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.


htcfan wrote:

dgiordano wrote:

guandalf wrote:

 

What carrier are you thinking of switching to?

The one that doesn't require a data plan for a SmartPhone.

 

 

 

 

...Oh right, there isn't one.


Who said I was switching? I'd rather just do without a cell phone than to be forced to pay for something that I will never use.

 

That is an option too! There are always carriers like MetroPCS and Boost which offer very attractive plans too and are cheaper than the big carriers.
Message 41 of 280
Contributor

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

I just read your comments about AT&T now requiring data plans when smartphones are used.  I agree totally with your comments.  But where is the outrage?  I switched from an AT&T Tilt to an iPhone.  I am on a family plan and my son's phone went bad.  So I gave him my Tilt.  There is no data plan on his line.  Within 5 minutes of firing it up with his SIM card in it, he got a text message saying that if he did not call AT&T and add the date plan, one would be added automatically!  My phone, my plan and they tell me what I have to do with it!  Besides if he wants to use the WiFi on the smartphone at college, they won't let him unless he buys their data plan.  AT&T claim that the requirement is to save users the high cost of data usage without a data plan.  That is the biggest load of poppycock I have ever heard!  It is like telling me that since I have enough land, the town is requiring me to put in a swimming pool at my house so that they can increase my property taxes.  I think that AT&T users need to stand up and try to get a class action lawsuit started about what is price gouging, plain and simple.

Message 42 of 280

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.


10sgr8 wrote:

Within 5 minutes of firing it up with his SIM card in it, he got a text message saying that if he did not call AT&T and add the date plan, one would be added automatically!    Besides if he wants to use the WiFi on the smartphone at college, they won't let him unless he buys their data plan.  AT&T claim that the requirement is to save users the high cost of data usage without a data plan.  That is the biggest load of poppycock I have ever heard!   I think that AT&T users need to stand up and try to get a class action lawsuit started about what is price gouging, plain and simple.


I'm not sure who is initiating the poppycock here.

Message 43 of 280
Professor

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.


10sgr8 wrote:

I just read your comments about AT&T now requiring data plans when smartphones are used.  I agree totally with your comments.  But where is the outrage?  I switched from an AT&T Tilt to an iPhone.  I am on a family plan and my son's phone went bad.  So I gave him my Tilt.  There is no data plan on his line.  Within 5 minutes of firing it up with his SIM card in it, he got a text message saying that if he did not call AT&T and add the date plan, one would be added automatically!  My phone, my plan and they tell me what I have to do with it!  Besides if he wants to use the WiFi on the smartphone at college, they won't let him unless he buys their data plan.  AT&T claim that the requirement is to save users the high cost of data usage without a data plan.  That is the biggest load of poppycock I have ever heard!  It is like telling me that since I have enough land, the town is requiring me to put in a swimming pool at my house so that they can increase my property taxes.  I think that AT&T users need to stand up and try to get a class action lawsuit started about what is price gouging, plain and simple.


 

I do not understand your analogy. If you do not like the terms of service, you can always switch over to a carrier that gives you a plan that is more suitable for you.
Message 44 of 280
Scholar

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

i'm in the same situation, i want the TP2 which will require the data plan so i'll switch from my 1400 mins family plan to the 700 one, i know i'll lose the incoming a-list feature ('cause i will not qualify then - at&t won't like me anymore Smiley Sad ) but i have some rollovers anyways... i'll text more i guess 'cause the economy is tough and money tight Smiley Very Happy
Message 45 of 280
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support