Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 6, 2009
7:26:36 PM
View profile
Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

I just discovered that ATT is now going to require all PDA phones to have a data plan after Sept. 6th.  I have seen all the reasoning behind this, and frankly, I am upset.  I am perfectly happy with my ATT Tilt using WiFi access only.  I have never desired to have a data plan and like to use the features of my phone without the bloated cost of a data plan,

ATT has stated that they feel this is necessary to help prevent customers from excessive data charges for people who do not get a data plan.  I say it is just to force people to pay for data plans even if they they are perfectly content without one.  I have never had excessive data usage charges because I am intelligent enough to understand that I only access data when I am on a WiFi network.  This ridiculous requirement is now going to force me to reconsider staying with ATT as my wireless carrier.  I was also considering upgrading from my Tilt to a Fuze, but now I am not so sure.

I would hope that ATT would reconsider this requirement and allow their customers to continue to have the choice on whether they feel they need a data plan or not.  In my case, I do not and would like to keep it that way.

I just discovered that ATT is now going to require all PDA phones to have a data plan after Sept. 6th.  I have seen all the reasoning behind this, and frankly, I am upset.  I am perfectly happy with my ATT Tilt using WiFi access only.  I have never desired to have a data plan and like to use the features of my phone without the bloated cost of a data plan,

ATT has stated that they feel this is necessary to help prevent customers from excessive data charges for people who do not get a data plan.  I say it is just to force people to pay for data plans even if they they are perfectly content without one.  I have never had excessive data usage charges because I am intelligent enough to understand that I only access data when I am on a WiFi network.  This ridiculous requirement is now going to force me to reconsider staying with ATT as my wireless carrier.  I was also considering upgrading from my Tilt to a Fuze, but now I am not so sure.

I would hope that ATT would reconsider this requirement and allow their customers to continue to have the choice on whether they feel they need a data plan or not.  In my case, I do not and would like to keep it that way.

Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

279 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(279)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2009 7:13:51 PM
(0)
Scholar

I'm also wondering of another loophole..

My son has a smartphone, but uses wifi with data blocked.   I'm guessing I can never keep that line with that feature if I upgrade, but what if I use his insurance policy to get hima new phone as his wears out?  He deductible is'nt that much, so if his pone breaks, I can just pay that to get a new one,and keep my old grandfathered plan.    I'd rather pay $5 a month for insurance than $30 a month for data

My son has a smartphone, but uses wifi with data blocked.   I'm guessing I can never keep that line with that feature if I upgrade, but what if I use his insurance policy to get hima new phone as his wears out?  He deductible is'nt that much, so if his pone breaks, I can just pay that to get a new one,and keep my old grandfathered plan.    I'd rather pay $5 a month for insurance than $30 a month for data

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

31 of 280 (3,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2009 8:52:54 PM
(0)
Professor

markfinley wrote:

this is not really a loophole. It is just like purchasing an unlocked device, just your 3rd party insurance subdizing it.

markfinley wrote:

this is not really a loophole. It is just like purchasing an unlocked device, just your 3rd party insurance subdizing it.

32 of 280 (3,660 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2009 4:37:47 AM
(0)
Scholar

It's nice to know it's an option for me, but unless somebody already had a phone with insurance and no data plan, it really doens't help out that many other people.

It's nice to know it's an option for me, but unless somebody already had a phone with insurance and no data plan, it really doens't help out that many other people.

33 of 280 (3,626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2009 5:53:51 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by varnk on Sep 11, 2009 at 5:55:07 AM

htcfan wrote:
I was told by customer care that IF I were to purchase a new device at full retail price, my existing contract would still be grandfathered, as contract law prevents AT&T from changing the terms of the existing contract. As long as you do not extend your contract (and therefore sign a new contract), you should not be required to have the data plan.

Maybe I am wrong on this, but let's say that I add another family member to my family plan with a regular phone (non-smartphone).  Does that automatically put me on a new two year contract?  If so, does the grandfatherring still apply or now do I suddenly have to pay for the data plan on my Tilt even though I did not change phones, but merely added a new phone to my plan?
Message Edited by varnk on 09-11-2009 05:55:07 AM

htcfan wrote:
I was told by customer care that IF I were to purchase a new device at full retail price, my existing contract would still be grandfathered, as contract law prevents AT&T from changing the terms of the existing contract. As long as you do not extend your contract (and therefore sign a new contract), you should not be required to have the data plan.

Maybe I am wrong on this, but let's say that I add another family member to my family plan with a regular phone (non-smartphone).  Does that automatically put me on a new two year contract?  If so, does the grandfatherring still apply or now do I suddenly have to pay for the data plan on my Tilt even though I did not change phones, but merely added a new phone to my plan?

[ Edited ]
34 of 280 (3,614 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2009 6:13:36 AM
(0)
Guru

I think that the obligation (and therefore the contract) on family plans are on a per-line basis.  For example, I know that you can add a line mid-term and then drop it 2 years later without affecting the status of the primary line.  When I recently upgraded my daughter's phone I only signed an agreement with regards to her number.

Typically with stuff like this you won't know until you try.  AT&T probably won't have policies written for every scenario.  You'll be able to do whatever the system allows you to do whether it's online or with the help of a CSR. 

I think that the obligation (and therefore the contract) on family plans are on a per-line basis.  For example, I know that you can add a line mid-term and then drop it 2 years later without affecting the status of the primary line.  When I recently upgraded my daughter's phone I only signed an agreement with regards to her number.

Typically with stuff like this you won't know until you try.  AT&T probably won't have policies written for every scenario.  You'll be able to do whatever the system allows you to do whether it's online or with the help of a CSR. 

35 of 280 (3,605 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2009 1:32:55 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by htcfan on Sep 11, 2009 at 1:34:45 PM

varnk wrote:

htcfan wrote:

The new contract would apply to the new line of service only. Your existing line should remain under the original contract, and therefore remain grandfathered. In order for AT$T to change the terms of the existing contract, you have to agree to the new terms and re-sign. I am in the process of writing a letter to AT$T requesting a review of my account and the amount of time that I use my phones in areas that I am roaming versus not roaming. If my usage is greater than 60% roaming, AT$T will let me out of my contracts for all my lines, and terminate my service. Hopefully I will be able to bid the Money Hungry Death Star goodbye soon.

Message Edited by htcfan on 09-11-2009 04:34:45 PM

varnk wrote:

htcfan wrote:

The new contract would apply to the new line of service only. Your existing line should remain under the original contract, and therefore remain grandfathered. In order for AT$T to change the terms of the existing contract, you have to agree to the new terms and re-sign. I am in the process of writing a letter to AT$T requesting a review of my account and the amount of time that I use my phones in areas that I am roaming versus not roaming. If my usage is greater than 60% roaming, AT$T will let me out of my contracts for all my lines, and terminate my service. Hopefully I will be able to bid the Money Hungry Death Star goodbye soon.

[ Edited ]
36 of 280 (3,552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2009 7:55:15 PM
(0)
Professor

htcfan wrote:

varnk wrote:

htcfan wrote:

What carrier are you thinking of switching to?

htcfan wrote:

varnk wrote:

htcfan wrote:

37 of 280 (3,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2009 8:40:38 AM
(0)
Guru

guandalf wrote:

The one that doesn't require a data plan for a SmartPhone.

...Oh right, there isn't one.

guandalf wrote:

38 of 280 (3,471 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2009 5:23:44 PM
(0)
Professor

dgiordano wrote:

guandalf wrote:

I am sure you realize that you limit yourself only to the smaller regional carriers as all big ones require a data plan

dgiordano wrote:

guandalf wrote:

I am sure you realize that you limit yourself only to the smaller regional carriers as all big ones require a data plan

39 of 280 (3,430 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2009 11:14:38 AM
(0)
Scholar

dgiordano wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Who said I was switching? I'd rather just do without a cell phone than to be forced to pay for something that I will never use.

dgiordano wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Who said I was switching? I'd rather just do without a cell phone than to be forced to pay for something that I will never use.

40 of 280 (3,376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2009 11:18:24 AM
(0)
Professor

htcfan wrote:

dgiordano wrote:

guandalf wrote:

That is an option too! There are always carriers like MetroPCS and Boost which offer very attractive plans too and are cheaper than the big carriers.

htcfan wrote:

dgiordano wrote:

guandalf wrote:

That is an option too! There are always carriers like MetroPCS and Boost which offer very attractive plans too and are cheaper than the big carriers.

41 of 280 (3,718 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2009 6:14:52 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just read your comments about AT&T now requiring data plans when smartphones are used.  I agree totally with your comments.  But where is the outrage?  I switched from an AT&T Tilt to an iPhone.  I am on a family plan and my son's phone went bad.  So I gave him my Tilt.  There is no data plan on his line.  Within 5 minutes of firing it up with his SIM card in it, he got a text message saying that if he did not call AT&T and add the date plan, one would be added automatically!  My phone, my plan and they tell me what I have to do with it!  Besides if he wants to use the WiFi on the smartphone at college, they won't let him unless he buys their data plan.  AT&T claim that the requirement is to save users the high cost of data usage without a data plan.  That is the biggest load of poppycock I have ever heard!  It is like telling me that since I have enough land, the town is requiring me to put in a swimming pool at my house so that they can increase my property taxes.  I think that AT&T users need to stand up and try to get a class action lawsuit started about what is price gouging, plain and simple.

I just read your comments about AT&T now requiring data plans when smartphones are used.  I agree totally with your comments.  But where is the outrage?  I switched from an AT&T Tilt to an iPhone.  I am on a family plan and my son's phone went bad.  So I gave him my Tilt.  There is no data plan on his line.  Within 5 minutes of firing it up with his SIM card in it, he got a text message saying that if he did not call AT&T and add the date plan, one would be added automatically!  My phone, my plan and they tell me what I have to do with it!  Besides if he wants to use the WiFi on the smartphone at college, they won't let him unless he buys their data plan.  AT&T claim that the requirement is to save users the high cost of data usage without a data plan.  That is the biggest load of poppycock I have ever heard!  It is like telling me that since I have enough land, the town is requiring me to put in a swimming pool at my house so that they can increase my property taxes.  I think that AT&T users need to stand up and try to get a class action lawsuit started about what is price gouging, plain and simple.

42 of 280 (3,684 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2009 8:34:16 PM
(0)
Guru

10sgr8 wrote:

Within 5 minutes of firing it up with his SIM card in it, he got a text message saying that if he did not call AT&T and add the date plan, one would be added automatically!    Besides if he wants to use the WiFi on the smartphone at college, they won't let him unless he buys their data plan.  AT&T claim that the requirement is to save users the high cost of data usage without a data plan.  That is the biggest load of poppycock I have ever heard!   I think that AT&T users need to stand up and try to get a class action lawsuit started about what is price gouging, plain and simple.

I'm not sure who is initiating the poppycock here.

10sgr8 wrote:

Within 5 minutes of firing it up with his SIM card in it, he got a text message saying that if he did not call AT&T and add the date plan, one would be added automatically!    Besides if he wants to use the WiFi on the smartphone at college, they won't let him unless he buys their data plan.  AT&T claim that the requirement is to save users the high cost of data usage without a data plan.  That is the biggest load of poppycock I have ever heard!   I think that AT&T users need to stand up and try to get a class action lawsuit started about what is price gouging, plain and simple.

I'm not sure who is initiating the poppycock here.

43 of 280 (3,668 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2009 8:44:10 PM
(0)
Professor

10sgr8 wrote:

I do not understand your analogy. If you do not like the terms of service, you can always switch over to a carrier that gives you a plan that is more suitable for you.

10sgr8 wrote:

I do not understand your analogy. If you do not like the terms of service, you can always switch over to a carrier that gives you a plan that is more suitable for you.

44 of 280 (3,661 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2009 8:57:51 PM
(0)
Scholar
i'm in the same situation, i want the TP2 which will require the data plan so i'll switch from my 1400 mins family plan to the 700 one, i know i'll lose the incoming a-list feature ('cause i will not qualify then - at&t won't like me anymore Smiley Sad ) but i have some rollovers anyways... i'll text more i guess 'cause the economy is tough and money tight Smiley Very Happy
i'm in the same situation, i want the TP2 which will require the data plan so i'll switch from my 1400 mins family plan to the 700 one, i know i'll lose the incoming a-list feature ('cause i will not qualify then - at&t won't like me anymore Smiley Sad ) but i have some rollovers anyways... i'll text more i guess 'cause the economy is tough and money tight Smiley Very Happy

45 of 280 (3,658 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2009 9:00:00 PM
(0)
Scholar

10sgr8 wrote:

.  Within 5 minutes of firing it up with his SIM card in it, he got a text message saying that if he did not call AT&T and add the date plan, one would be added automatically! 

That's kinda odd.. My son and I swapped fones about 1 or 2 times a few days ago and I never got such a txt. He has a palm 750 and I have a tilt.

10sgr8 wrote:

.  Within 5 minutes of firing it up with his SIM card in it, he got a text message saying that if he did not call AT&T and add the date plan, one would be added automatically! 

That's kinda odd.. My son and I swapped fones about 1 or 2 times a few days ago and I never got such a txt. He has a palm 750 and I have a tilt.

From my iPhone 4

46 of 280 (3,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2009 4:50:58 AM
(0)
Scholar
I called CS after my last posting, and they are reviewing my account. The rep also told me that IF I were to buy a new phone at retail price or buy an unlocked phone, my existing contract would remain without the data plan requirement.The current difference between subsidised and retail is about $150-$200 versus $720.00 for the duration of the new contract for a data plan. Save some money and buy your phones at retail, and request a medianet block on your line.
I called CS after my last posting, and they are reviewing my account. The rep also told me that IF I were to buy a new phone at retail price or buy an unlocked phone, my existing contract would remain without the data plan requirement.The current difference between subsidised and retail is about $150-$200 versus $720.00 for the duration of the new contract for a data plan. Save some money and buy your phones at retail, and request a medianet block on your line.

47 of 280 (3,612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2009 8:14:08 AM
(0)
Teacher
You can count me in on the lawsuit. I have already contacted my representatives in Washington including the FCC and the FTC.
You can count me in on the lawsuit. I have already contacted my representatives in Washington including the FCC and the FTC.

48 of 280 (3,571 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2009 8:16:21 AM
(0)
Teacher
I'm also canceling my AT&T U-verse service.

49 of 280 (3,566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2009 8:33:52 AM
(0)
Professor

Crater1 wrote:

I wonder... what are your grounds for a class action?

Crater1 wrote:

I wonder... what are your grounds for a class action?

50 of 280 (3,556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2009 9:47:45 AM
(0)
Scholar
What part of you can cancel the data after you buy the phone part didn't you people understand?
What part of you can cancel the data after you buy the phone part didn't you people understand?
From my iPhone 4

51 of 280 (4,278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2009 11:21:03 AM
(0)
Scholar

<SARCASM> Lexus has said that they no longer are selling cars with standard FM radio... You have to buy a Sirius plan. So next time I buy a Lexus, I will have to pay $15 a month for sattelite radio which I do not use. (Never mind that all other luxury cars already have implemented this.) So I am not only going to drive my current Lexus off a bridge, I am going to smash my wife's Toyota too because they are from the same company. Oh - wait - I know - I will file a class action law suit! Why? Because I can! </SARCASM>

Of course, I know that Crater1 can not be that blind, after all, he can type. So he must be trying to "get your goat". Don't let him. Smiley Happy And do not forget to laugh!

<SARCASM> Lexus has said that they no longer are selling cars with standard FM radio... You have to buy a Sirius plan. So next time I buy a Lexus, I will have to pay $15 a month for sattelite radio which I do not use. (Never mind that all other luxury cars already have implemented this.) So I am not only going to drive my current Lexus off a bridge, I am going to smash my wife's Toyota too because they are from the same company. Oh - wait - I know - I will file a class action law suit! Why? Because I can! </SARCASM>

Of course, I know that Crater1 can not be that blind, after all, he can type. So he must be trying to "get your goat". Don't let him. Smiley Happy And do not forget to laugh!

52 of 280 (4,256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2009 11:29:23 AM
(0)
Professor

yatrg wrote:

Another bad analogy.... As you are already buying service from AT&T, you have to agree to their ToS. You are not buying a service from Sirius, so you have a choice... but if you were to buy a service from Sirius, let me know, after you are successful in getting the price of the contract reduced because you only listen to 1 station instead of the 100+ they offer....

yatrg wrote:

Another bad analogy.... As you are already buying service from AT&T, you have to agree to their ToS. You are not buying a service from Sirius, so you have a choice... but if you were to buy a service from Sirius, let me know, after you are successful in getting the price of the contract reduced because you only listen to 1 station instead of the 100+ they offer....

53 of 280 (4,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2009 11:33:50 AM
(0)
Mentor

Seems to me like AT&T approached this whole data plan thing the wrong way.  Granted, maybe they were losing money from people who did not have data plans and ended up having to eat the cost of overages from people who excessively used data on a pay-per-use basis.

However, what they should have done is to automatically charge the $30 (or whatever an unlimited data plan costs) for anyone using data in any given month regardless of the amount of KB used.  Thus, if you don't have data usage because you are like myself and are diligent about not using data, then you are not penalized for using your phone for all of the other features that it offers that do not have to do with data usage.  Although this would probably be more attractive for customers like myself, I would seriously doubt that AT&T or any other carrier would do this because it does not follow a business plan of continuous service revenue, which is what all companies seem to savor these days.

But, instead, AT&T took the route that provides the least amount of customer flexibility, and instead chose to just force PDA users to have data plans because they feel that most of their customers are not intelligent enough to know how to manage their PDA phones.  Maybe some PDA users fall into this category, but why penalize the ones that don't?

Seems to me like AT&T approached this whole data plan thing the wrong way.  Granted, maybe they were losing money from people who did not have data plans and ended up having to eat the cost of overages from people who excessively used data on a pay-per-use basis.

However, what they should have done is to automatically charge the $30 (or whatever an unlimited data plan costs) for anyone using data in any given month regardless of the amount of KB used.  Thus, if you don't have data usage because you are like myself and are diligent about not using data, then you are not penalized for using your phone for all of the other features that it offers that do not have to do with data usage.  Although this would probably be more attractive for customers like myself, I would seriously doubt that AT&T or any other carrier would do this because it does not follow a business plan of continuous service revenue, which is what all companies seem to savor these days.

But, instead, AT&T took the route that provides the least amount of customer flexibility, and instead chose to just force PDA users to have data plans because they feel that most of their customers are not intelligent enough to know how to manage their PDA phones.  Maybe some PDA users fall into this category, but why penalize the ones that don't?

54 of 280 (4,252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2009 12:26:57 PM
(0)
Scholar

03hdfatboy wrote:

did you not read the story on BGR? Cancelling the data plan is no longer an option. Read this and make sure you have all the facts before you post.

03hdfatboy wrote:

did you not read the story on BGR? Cancelling the data plan is no longer an option. Read this and make sure you have all the facts before you post.

55 of 280 (4,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2009 1:21:44 PM
(0)
Guru

Crater1 wrote:

Of course you have.

I mean... What sort of response have you gotten? 

Crater1 wrote:

Of course you have.

I mean... What sort of response have you gotten? 

56 of 280 (4,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2009 1:23:43 PM
(0)
Guru

Crater1 wrote:

That'll teach 'em!

Crater1 wrote:

That'll teach 'em!

57 of 280 (4,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2009 2:03:28 PM
(0)
Scholar

In all honesty, I don't see the big deal. Smartphones were made to use data services, and to get the full experience from it, you need a data plan. Sure, you can use WiFi, but not everywere, and for those times you don't have WiFi, a data connection will allow you to do all those things you do on WiFi. AT&T Subsidise the phones, and expect a certain level of revenue from them. An iPhone, for example, requires a $100 plan, and includes Data. Why shouldn't a WinMo phone also require Data? If you don't want the Data plan, don't buy a phone that was designed to use data, or buy an unlocked phone, and use it on your existing non-data plan.

there are a handful of people who have a smartphone, and don't use AT&T data, and if they currently have no data plan, they don't need to get one. New subscribers, on the otherhand, will be required to get Data, and as a new smartphone owner, their user experience will be enhanced, by having data included. This is a smart move by AT&T, as it will ensure those who buy these types of phones can get the full WinMo experience.

So I am sorry if you are having problems with their new policy, but I do think it is fair, and other carriers do it too. Can you get a Google Phone without data? I don't believe you can. Same for Verizon. There are ways to keep no data plan, but frankly, I think anyone who has one of these phones without data (especially in a 3G area) is Really missing out on many of the great things these phones can do.... You may as well have a palm pilot, or Dell Axim, or a plain old PDA, or phone with basic PDA functions, why bother with the smartphone...

:Flame Sheilds Up:

In all honesty, I don't see the big deal. Smartphones were made to use data services, and to get the full experience from it, you need a data plan. Sure, you can use WiFi, but not everywere, and for those times you don't have WiFi, a data connection will allow you to do all those things you do on WiFi. AT&T Subsidise the phones, and expect a certain level of revenue from them. An iPhone, for example, requires a $100 plan, and includes Data. Why shouldn't a WinMo phone also require Data? If you don't want the Data plan, don't buy a phone that was designed to use data, or buy an unlocked phone, and use it on your existing non-data plan.

there are a handful of people who have a smartphone, and don't use AT&T data, and if they currently have no data plan, they don't need to get one. New subscribers, on the otherhand, will be required to get Data, and as a new smartphone owner, their user experience will be enhanced, by having data included. This is a smart move by AT&T, as it will ensure those who buy these types of phones can get the full WinMo experience.

So I am sorry if you are having problems with their new policy, but I do think it is fair, and other carriers do it too. Can you get a Google Phone without data? I don't believe you can. Same for Verizon. There are ways to keep no data plan, but frankly, I think anyone who has one of these phones without data (especially in a 3G area) is Really missing out on many of the great things these phones can do.... You may as well have a palm pilot, or Dell Axim, or a plain old PDA, or phone with basic PDA functions, why bother with the smartphone...

58 of 280 (4,198 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2009 2:25:04 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by varnk on Sep 14, 2009 at 2:26:10 PM

nygman wrote:

If this policy is fair, then why not just force everyone to have an all encompassing monthly rate plan that includes all features that a phone is capable of whether you use them or not.  If your phone supports text messaging, then you automatically get unlimited text messaging,  If your phone supports international calling, then that should just automatically have it added too.  If your phone supports push-to-talk, then put it on as well.  After all, you do want the best experience possible with your phone.  Right?

And to say that if you don't want a data plan then why have a PDA smartphone?  I will say, because we have progressed enough in our technological age where it is no longer necessary to carry a seperate PDA and phone.  Yes.... they are now all-in-one.  However, that does not mean that I now need my PDA to communicate on a 3G data network.

Message Edited by varnk on 09-14-2009 02:26:10 PM

nygman wrote:

If this policy is fair, then why not just force everyone to have an all encompassing monthly rate plan that includes all features that a phone is capable of whether you use them or not.  If your phone supports text messaging, then you automatically get unlimited text messaging,  If your phone supports international calling, then that should just automatically have it added too.  If your phone supports push-to-talk, then put it on as well.  After all, you do want the best experience possible with your phone.  Right?

And to say that if you don't want a data plan then why have a PDA smartphone?  I will say, because we have progressed enough in our technological age where it is no longer necessary to carry a seperate PDA and phone.  Yes.... they are now all-in-one.  However, that does not mean that I now need my PDA to communicate on a 3G data network.

Message Edited by varnk on 09-14-2009 02:26:10 PM

[ Edited ]
59 of 280 (4,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2009 2:53:26 PM
(0)
Guru

We can debate fairness all day long and come up with analogies galore but it doesn't really matter.  It's a revenue generating program for AT&T and they are well within their rights to implement it.  They've seen from the iPhone and from their competitors (Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint) that this can be done.   I'm sure they've calculated how many customers they might lose and I'm equally sure they've determined that number is outweighed by new PDA data plans.

None of this means you have to like it but at least for now, there are workarounds (e.g. keeping your existing phone, buying an unlocked phone, paying full retail) that the iPhone users do not have.

We can debate fairness all day long and come up with analogies galore but it doesn't really matter.  It's a revenue generating program for AT&T and they are well within their rights to implement it.  They've seen from the iPhone and from their competitors (Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint) that this can be done.   I'm sure they've calculated how many customers they might lose and I'm equally sure they've determined that number is outweighed by new PDA data plans.

None of this means you have to like it but at least for now, there are workarounds (e.g. keeping your existing phone, buying an unlocked phone, paying full retail) that the iPhone users do not have.

60 of 280 (4,180 Views)