Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

Professor

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

varnk wrote:

dgiordano wrote:

I'm not condoning what AT&T is doing.  I was merely pointing out that it would be pointless to jump to another carrier over this issue.

I had not realized that other carriers were doing this as well.  It is truly unfortunate.  With phones getting better and costing less, I wonder how long it will be before carriers start requiring all phones to have data plans.

There is no doubt in my mind that in a few years' time all cell phones will be smartphones and all plans will include data plans. This is just a logical progression of the technology.
Message 16 of 280 (4,610 Views)
Teacher

I don't mean to be rude but to make a statement like that you must not understand the issue. My father is 87. He needs a mobile phone for emergencies. He has no need for data or a Smart Phone. What ever the reason, people have personal needs which should not be pigeonholed by Corporate America. What happened to cell phones and the customer is always right?
Message 17 of 280 (4,545 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]
Please stay on point because your speculation about what I do and don't know is irrelevant and for the record incorrect. Just because everybody else does it doesn’t make it right – in fact, it may make it worse. People/customers have personal needs which should not be pigeonholed by Corporate America. Whatever happened to the customer is always right?  {Keep it courteous and edit out any uncalled for comments.} first try to understand the issue then try to address it honestly.

Message Edited by mod.moose on 09-08-2009 04:48:38 PM
Message 18 of 280 (4,522 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

dgiordano wrote:

If you add a Fuze to your shopping cart you get a pop-up box reading:

Important AT&T Customer Notice:

AT&T requires data service with the purchase of any smartphone, to ensure the best possible experience for this device.

Service options include:

• PDA/BlackBerry® Personal
• PDA/BlackBerry® Personal Bundle
• PDA/BlackBerry® Personal with tethering

Smartphone data service covers data usage in the U.S only.

I understand you are just quoting company literature, so don't take this as a slam on your message. 

That statement about ensuring the best possible experience for the device is absolutely comical.  I wish that AT&T would just state the obvious instead of trying to put a spin on it.  "We are making this change because we need more revenue and we know that PDA users can help suplement us by paying for data plans to help us increase our profits."

I wonder why they just don't force Text Messaging plans onto all phones that have Text Message capability.  Wouldn't this help ensure the best possible experience with those devices as well?

Message Edited by varnk on 09-09-2009 12:19:12 PM
Message 19 of 280 (4,424 Views)
Scholar

I cancelled everything 'extra' on my phone and my husbands phone prior to Sept 6th.  Thank you for the heads up.

Complain to the FTC & FCC.  I filed a complaint online, it took 5 minutes for each site.  

I'll get a cheap free phone for cell service and keep my Fuze without a sim before I pay $360 a year for something I can't use, even it it worked well, which it doesn't.  Their 3G network gets 300kbps in my area.  Click a link, take a nap, scroll to another spot on a web page, take a nap.  

Message 20 of 280 (4,375 Views)
Scholar

wekebu wrote:

Their 3G network gets 300kbps in my areaClick a link, take a nap, scroll to another spot on a web page, take a nap.  

It's still faster than it is here. I personally have a data plan and use it alot on my phone..BUT my son has a palm 750 w/o a data plan and my wife and daughter have samsung propels and they don't.. and don't need it.

My understanding is .. and I maybe wrong, and I'm sure someone will correct me LOL...if you sign an contract and get an new smart phone (excluding iphone) you can go online and turn it off and only have to pay the prorated fee for the amount of time that you had it for that first month..that's all, So that's not too bad.

Message 21 of 280 (4,143 Views)
Scholar

has anybody bothered reading this bit of information on the sales page of the ATT website?

Two-year contract and new activation required. Mail-in rebate requires activation on a $30 or higher data plan. Feature can be canceled at any time.

That is next to the "buy now" button on every smart phone except for the iphone.  There is no "out" on that

Message 22 of 280 (4,118 Views)
Tutor

Only one out.... go buy an unlocked phone and NOT from ATT.  Problem solved.  I am using the Samsung Omia 2 now and loving it.
Message 23 of 280 (4,075 Views)
Scholar

argoldst wrote:
Only one out.... go buy an unlocked phone and NOT from ATT.  Problem solved.  I am using the Samsung Omia 2 now and loving it.

I'm using a HTC 8925 ( from e-bay) love it. No contract to sign,,,no waiting for the mail to bring a rebate card. And the warranty you can buy through squaretrade is better than the one through at&t.
Message 24 of 280 (4,069 Views)
Scholar

markfinley, thank you for pointing that out.  Now why didn't an at&t employee who reads these forums point out that line?
Message 25 of 280 (4,016 Views)
Scholar

LOL.....  I've been sitting here for DAYS wondering if I was the only one who could see that..

Message 26 of 280 (4,014 Views)
Scholar

ok, this is interesting..

this time I logged in as a customer and tried to upgrade one of my lines that is eligible

it said this

Two-year contract and new activation required. Mail-in rebate requires activation on a $30 or higher data plan. Feature can be canceled at any time.
Smartphone Data service Required

which is it?   Can be canceled, or required?

Message 27 of 280 (4,010 Views)
Professor

wekebu wrote:
markfinley, thank you for pointing that out.  Now why didn't an at&t employee who reads these forums point out that line?

This is a customer forum, and even though owned by AT&T, they do not use it as a communication channel between customers and the company. Disclaimer: I am not an AT&T employee! Smiley Tongue
Message 28 of 280 (4,010 Views)

markfinley wrote:

ok, this is interesting..

this time I logged in as a customer and tried to upgrade one of my lines that is eligible

it said this

Smartphone Data service Required

which is it?   Can be canceled, or required?

The cancelling is the old rule with regards to the rebate only.  The new rule is that the plan is required for any SmartPhone purchased after 9/6/09.
Message 29 of 280 (3,978 Views)
Scholar

I was told by customer care that IF I were to purchase a new device at full retail price, my existing contract would still be grandfathered, as contract law prevents AT&T from changing the terms of the existing contract. As long as you do not extend your contract (and therefore sign a new contract), you should not be required to have the data plan.
Message 30 of 280 (3,977 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.