Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

If my coverage was as bad as yours I'd have left long ago, forced data charge notwithstanding.

My AT&T coverage is excellent.  Verizon is pretty good around me too but T-Mobile and Sprint are crap.  Watch T-Mobile too.  Without the 850MHz band they are seldom as good as AT&T when you're inside large buildings.  I suppose their 1700MHz 3G band might help but I don't think their 3G buildout is anywhere near as big as AT&T's.

Can't fault anybody for going for the best coverage where they need it.

Message 136 of 280 (1,724 Views)
Scholar

The forced data plan was just the straw that broke the camels back.  ATT has been promising better coverage in my area ever since they took down a tower a couple of years ago it never transpired at first they said it would in a couple of months then they started denying taking the tower down ever happened.  I've had 6 different fuze phones this on keeps turning itself off they will not replace it with a pure or tilt2 unless I upgrade and sign a new 2 year contract granted they are willing to sell it to me for $100.00 but that is also with the data plan which I currently don't have.  I'm tored of the BS and lies.  I've done alot of research the last few weeks and it seems Sprint has much better customer service and I really like the android UI.  I seems loke its much more user friendly and customizable over WinMo and not nearly as much bloatware.
Message 137 of 280 (1,691 Views)
Contributor

I purchased a Samsung Blackjack with the"optional" data plan so I could get the mail-in rebate. After my rebate was processed, I searched and searched online for how to cancel my data plan. I ended up sending an email to customer service since it was after hours for phoning customer service. I received an email giving me a deadline for canceling my data plan. If I miss the deadline I am required to carry the data plan for the life of the phone if receiving service through ATT. Today is the deadline - I was behind on my email so I feel lucky that I even got to the email in time. I cannot believe that I would be committed to an additional $30 a month if I had happened to get to this email a day late. The email informed me that if I ever choose to have the date plan again, I cannot ever cancel it.

Although I enjoyed the data plan, it is much too expensive for me (and it does not even include texting!). I purchased the phone so I could sync up with my calendar on my computer at work. I can do this without the data plan. I hope this issue is resolved my AT&T before I am forced at my next phone purchase to search elsewhere for what I need, pay more on my bill, or just do without.

Message 138 of 280 (1,625 Views)
Tutor

This crap is why the FTC should never have allowed AT&T and Cingular to merge.  If we had more telecoms in business, it would behave more like a free market rather than a cartel.  The major networks changing their policies at the same time to require a $30/month data plan smells of illegal collusion.

Also, about the "huge" subsidies that AT&T offers--the Touch Pro 2 was over 6 months old when it was released by AT&T.  With the rapidly decreasing costs of new technologies, I'd be surprised if AT&T didn't make an immediate profit off the "subsidized" Touch Pro 2.  In other words, I'd be surprised if AT&T pays more for the phone than the $350 + $20 activation fee of the phone.  Then the monthly voice and data plans are just gravy.

AT&T brings us phones 6 months late (e.g., why can't I upgrade to an HD 2 now, like all of England can?), overcharges for the phone, for the data plan, and makes us purchase text messaging as an extra (isn't a text message just another form of data?).  And they get away with it because there aren't enough major competitors (like Cingular used to be).

I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but it probably won't involve upgrading to an almost last gen phone at an uber-premium price with AT&T.  If AT&T wants to charge premium prices (= to Verizon) on old phones, then maybe I should switch to the better network (Verizon) or to a lower cost plan (Sprint).

Message 139 of 280 (1,491 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

As we predicted – has anyone noticed AT&T’s stock prices since September? Down – down – down. That‘s what happens when you don’t take care of your customers. Mandatory data plans is a bad idea AT&T but what am I saying – you don’t listen.

Message Edited by Crater1 on 11-08-2009 06:51:31 PM
Message 140 of 280 (1,485 Views)
Professor

Crater1 wrote:

As we predicted – has anyone noticed AT&T’s stock prices since September? Down – down – down. That‘s what happens when you don’t take care of your customers. Mandatory data plans is a bad idea AT&T but what am I saying – you don’t listen.

hmmmmm.. where did you get that? Lets not forget that AT&T publishes results for its other devisions as well (land lines, internet, etc) and not just wireless, so your claim is totally incorrect. However, looking at their results year to date, I see that their stock has gone up as you can see here.

By contrast, lets look at:

• Verizon
  • Sprint
  • T-mobile i snot publicly traded because it is a division of duetsche telekom

Based on the above I dont think AT&T is doing that bad. In fact if you look at the numbers published this past quarter, they have performed better than any other carrier, adding almost 100% more new subscribers than Verizon!

Message 141 of 280 (1,219 Views)
Professor

aak4 wrote:

This crap is why the FTC should never have allowed AT&T and Cingular to merge.  If we had more telecoms in business, it would behave more like a free market rather than a cartel.  The major networks changing their policies at the same time to require a $30/month data plan smells of illegal collusion.

Also, about the "huge" subsidies that AT&T offers--the Touch Pro 2 was over 6 months old when it was released by AT&T.  With the rapidly decreasing costs of new technologies, I'd be surprised if AT&T didn't make an immediate profit off the "subsidized" Touch Pro 2.  In other words, I'd be surprised if AT&T pays more for the phone than the $350 + $20 activation fee of the phone.  Then the monthly voice and data plans are just gravy.

AT&T brings us phones 6 months late (e.g., why can't I upgrade to an HD 2 now, like all of England can?), overcharges for the phone, for the data plan, and makes us purchase text messaging as an extra (isn't a text message just another form of data?).  And they get away with it because there aren't enough major competitors (like Cingular used to be).

I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but it probably won't involve upgrading to an almost last gen phone at an uber-premium price with AT&T.  If AT&T wants to charge premium prices (= to Verizon) on old phones, then maybe I should switch to the better network (Verizon) or to a lower cost plan (Sprint).

Or you can always go to MetroPCS or Boost Mobile. I guarantee you that you will pay even less. Much less!
Message 142 of 280 (1,218 Views)
Mentor

guandalf wrote:

Crater1 wrote:

hmmmmm.. where did you get that? Lets not forget that AT&T publishes results for its other devisions as well (land lines, internet, etc) and not just wireless, so your claim is totally incorrect. However, looking at their results year to date, I see that their stock has gone up as you can see here.

• Verizon
  • Sprint

Based on the above I dont think AT&T is doing that bad. In fact if you look at the numbers published this past quarter, they have performed better than any other carrier, adding almost 100% more new subscribers than Verizon!

General Motors found out the hard way that if you don't give your customer's what they want, they will eventually go somewhere else to find it.  Unfortunately big companies like AT&T and GM get out of touch with their customers by putting greed ahead of their customers; then eventually end up paying the price when their stock takes a huge tumble. 

Message 143 of 280 (1,187 Views)
Professor

varnk wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Crater1 wrote:

• Verizon
  • Sprint

General Motors found out the hard way that if you don't give your customer's what they want, they will eventually go somewhere else to find it.  Unfortunately big companies like AT&T and GM get out of touch with their customers by putting greed ahead of their customers; then eventually end up paying the price when their stock takes a huge tumble. 

That is true of every company. However, please speak for yourself, as up until now I have been receiving what I want from AT&T. If I did not, you can be rest assured, that I would have long been gone to a different carrier. I would also be greatful if you could enlighten me and show me what others give that AT&T does not regarding a data plan.

Message 144 of 280 (1,184 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

guandalf wrote:

That is true of every company. However, please speak for yourself, as up until now I have been receiving what I want from AT&T. If I did not, you can be rest assured, that I would have long been gone to a different carrier. I would also be greatful if you could enlighten me and show me what others give that AT&T does not regarding a data plan.

What I want is what I had when I originally signed on with AT&T, and that is the choice of whether to have a data plan or not.  This is what attracted me to AT&T in the first place.  Now they elect to be like everyone else by eliminating the choice I once had.  Is that supposed to make me feel better about them now that they are just like all of the other carriers that I did not originally pick?  What is the point of having multiple carriers if they all decide to offer the same restricted rate plans that are all worded differently just enough to avoid FTC anti-trust laws?  That is not what I would call competition.

Maybe GM and all other car companies should ban together and force all people who have cars with OnStar to have to carry the OnStar monitoring plan whether they want it or not.  Le'ts see how many people are attracted to that!

Message Edited by varnk on 11-09-2009 06:52:22 AM
Message 145 of 280 (1,181 Views)
Professor

varnk wrote:

guandalf wrote:

What I want is what I had when I originally signed on with AT&T, and that is the choice of whether to have a data plan or not.  This is what attracted me to AT&T in the first place.  Now they elect to be like everyone else by eliminating the choice I once had.  Is that supposed to make me feel better about them now that they are just like all of the other carriers that I did not originally pick?  What is the point of having multiple carriers if they all decide to offer the same restricted rate plans that are all worded differently just enough to avoid FTC anti-trust laws?  That is not what I would call competition.

Maybe GM and all other car companies should ban together and force all people who have cars with OnStar to have to carry the OnStar monitoring plan whether they want it or not.  Le'ts see how many people are attracted to that!

Message Edited by varnk on 11-09-2009 06:52:22 AM

Last time I checked GM dont subsidize the cars you buy from them...

Message 146 of 280 (1,178 Views)
Teacher

said: "I would also be greatful if you could enlighten me and show me what others give that AT&T does not regarding a data plan."

Are you implying that it's ok to extort because others are doing it? You are completely missing the point!

Message 147 of 280 (1,143 Views)
Professor

Crater1 wrote:

said: "I would also be greatful if you could enlighten me and show me what others give that AT&T does not regarding a data plan."

Are you implying that it's ok to extort because others are doing it? You are completely missing the point!

Extort? I need a data plan and I am paying for one (less, by the way, for what I would pay for the same one at Verizon's). Unless I am missing something, I would like to understand how exactly am I being extorted?

If you do not need a data plan and don't want to pay for one, you will have the purchase a device that doesn't require you to have one. Pretty simple to me. While I can see the need for some users to have a PDA without one, unfortunately, these are AT&T's new ToS, and I really can't see how they extort you.

Message 148 of 280 (1,138 Views)
Mentor

guandalf wrote:

Crater1 wrote:

Extort? I need a data plan and I am paying for one (less, by the way, for what I would pay for the same one at Verizon's). Unless I am missing something, I would like to understand how exactly am I being extorted?

If you do not need a data plan and don't want to pay for one, you will have the purchase a device that doesn't require you to have one. Pretty simple to me. While I can see the need for some users to have a PDA without one, unfortunately, these are AT&T's new ToS, and I really can't see how they extort you.

I am completely bewildered by your reasoning. 

So... because you are happy with your phone and data plan then that makes it ok for others to be charged for one even though they do not want to use a data plan.  Does your phone have GPS on it?  If so, then you should automatically be enrolled into AT&T's GPS service as well.  Is your phone capable of streaming media?  If so, then you should automatically be enrolled in all of AT&T's streaming media services.  What about XMRadio?  If your phone can run the XMRadio app on it, then you should automatically be charged for it too.

Don't you see that this is how a service-oriented business model can run amok?  If they can do it in one feature area, then why not continue with others as well?

Message 149 of 280 (1,135 Views)
Professor

varnk wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Crater1 wrote:

I am completely bewildered by your reasoning. 

So... because you are happy with your phone and data plan then that makes it ok for others to be charged for one even though they do not want to use a data plan.  Does your phone have GPS on it?  If so, then you should automatically be enrolled into AT&T's GPS service as well.  Is your phone capable of streaming media?  If so, then you should automatically be enrolled in all of AT&T's streaming media services.  What about XMRadio?  If your phone can run the XMRadio app on it, then you should automatically be charged for it too.

Don't you see that this is how a service-oriented business model can run amok?  If they can do it in one feature area, then why not continue with others as well?

While data is a pipe, what you have mentioned above are called VAS (Value Added Services) and that is why you are billed separately for them, should you wish to subscribe! Like I said before, I can see why users would want a certain phone, without a data plan, however, AT&T decided that certain phones (cheaper ones) do not require it, while the more expensive, so-called PDA's do require it.  In fact, wait a few years, and I bet you that you will not see a single carrier, including the regional ones, that will have a single phone without data. In the not so distant future, "voice" will be an application on the network, just like any other app. This is the way the industry is going.

Message 150 of 280 (1,125 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.