Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

Mentor

Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

I just discovered that ATT is now going to require all PDA phones to have a data plan after Sept. 6th.  I have seen all the reasoning behind this, and frankly, I am upset.  I am perfectly happy with my ATT Tilt using WiFi access only.  I have never desired to have a data plan and like to use the features of my phone without the bloated cost of a data plan,

ATT has stated that they feel this is necessary to help prevent customers from excessive data charges for people who do not get a data plan.  I say it is just to force people to pay for data plans even if they they are perfectly content without one.  I have never had excessive data usage charges because I am intelligent enough to understand that I only access data when I am on a WiFi network.  This ridiculous requirement is now going to force me to reconsider staying with ATT as my wireless carrier.  I was also considering upgrading from my Tilt to a Fuze, but now I am not so sure.

I would hope that ATT would reconsider this requirement and allow their customers to continue to have the choice on whether they feel they need a data plan or not.  In my case, I do not and would like to keep it that way.

Message 1 of 280 (13,681 Views)
Scholar

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

Your current equipment will not need to have this particular data upgrade, I have not seen anywhere that it says that existing phones are going to need to have this data change. The issue is going to occur when you go to upgrade, since it will then take effect. Also AT&T is not the only person to do this, I believe it is Verizon that has been forcing this for quite some time now. Remember, this only counts for Smart Phones, so devices that look like Smart Phones but are not, like the Eternity, do not count.
Message 2 of 280 (13,656 Views)
Professor

varnk wrote:

I just discovered that ATT is now going to require all PDA phones to have a data plan after Sept. 6th.  I have seen all the reasoning behind this, and frankly, I am upset.  I am perfectly happy with my ATT Tilt using WiFi access only.  I have never desired to have a data plan and like to use the features of my phone without the bloated cost of a data plan,

ATT has stated that they feel this is necessary to help prevent customers from excessive data charges for people who do not get a data plan.  I say it is just to force people to pay for data plans even if they they are perfectly content without one.  I have never had excessive data usage charges because I am intelligent enough to understand that I only access data when I am on a WiFi network.  This ridiculous requirement is now going to force me to reconsider staying with ATT as my wireless carrier.  I was also considering upgrading from my Tilt to a Fuze, but now I am not so sure.

I would hope that ATT would reconsider this requirement and allow their customers to continue to have the choice on whether they feel they need a data plan or not.  In my case, I do not and would like to keep it that way.

You will only require a data plan if you upgrade your phone. If you currently do not have one, you are grandfathered and AT&T will not force you to have a data plan.
Message 3 of 280 (13,607 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

guandalf wrote:

varnk wrote:

You will only require a data plan if you upgrade your phone. If you currently do not have one, you are grandfathered and AT&T will not force you to have a data plan.

Although that may seem like a solution, ultimately this will be a blow to myself as well as other customers.  At some point in time, I may want to add a line to my plan or upgrade my phone to a newer model.  It seems as though as soon as my contract changes then I am going to get stuck with a data plan that I don't need or want on my PDA phone.  

This is very poor customer relations in my opinion.  One of the things that drew me to ATT in the first place was that the Tilt did not require a data plan in order to purchase it.  Now, it seems as though ATT is looking at making itself no different than any other wireless carrier.  If you ask me, this is a step backwards for the wireless industry.  Why have PDA phones with WiFi if you require people to have data plans?  It makes no sense at all.  In addition, PDAs are used for more than just for accessing data over the internet.  I use many features such as mobile MS Office, GPS,Notes, Tasks, and other Windows Mobile apps, which are not dependent on internet access.

I really feel sorry for any new customers who wish to purchase a PDA phone, or customers who want to upgrade to a newer PDA phone.  This data plan requirement is going to cause a lot of people to rethink whether to purchase a PDA phone now, including myself.  In my opinion, this is a bad move on the part of ATT.

Message Edited by varnk on 09-07-2009 01:25:48 PM
Message Edited by varnk on 09-07-2009 01:27:03 PM
Message 4 of 280 (13,536 Views)
Scholar

I think the vast majority of smartphone users are already on a full data plan anyways, and while it still stings some it's really only stinging a small percentage of people.  I couldn't imagine having even my 8525 without a data plan, I understand it works for some of you people but generally if I'm in a WiFi area, I've got a computer with me.  The whole point of the smartphone for me and many other business users was the fact you could get the internet and other stuff anywhere.

You can always buy the phone full retail, or through eBay or another way.  You may spend more on the phone, but you'll make it back in what you'll save in not spending the $30/month for the data plan!!

Message 5 of 280 (13,504 Views)
Professor

Caliban007 wrote:

I think the vast majority of smartphone users are already on a full data plan anyways, and while it still stings some it's really only stinging a small percentage of people.  I couldn't imagine having even my 8525 without a data plan, I understand it works for some of you people but generally if I'm in a WiFi area, I've got a computer with me.  The whole point of the smartphone for me and many other business users was the fact you could get the internet and other stuff anywhere.

You can always buy the phone full retail, or through eBay or another way.  You may spend more on the phone, but you'll make it back in what you'll save in not spending the $30/month for the data plan!!

I believe that some of those who oppose the data plan requirement, oppose it not because they do not see the value, but they really do not have a need for it, and some just cannot afford it. I personally know 2 people who have a Fuze and do not have a data plab, and just sync their device a couple of times a day with their computer. Having said that, I am exactly like you, I never used the wi-fi function on my phone, I use my data connection. The only time I use wi-fi is if I have my computer around me.
Message 6 of 280 (13,491 Views)
Teacher

I think this stinks too! I've been a wireless customer for almost 20 years. Pacific Bell -> Cingular -> AT&T. I use my "Smart Phone" every day without a data plan and wouldn't use it any differently if I was paying $30 extra a month. I don't use the data - period. I may be forced to stay with AT&T but I won't be forced into a data plan that I don't want or need. I'll find another phone or carrier and go on with my life. The down side for AT&T is that I and my family will do our best to discourage new customers from coming to AT&T. We can only hope that these lost customers will carry the flag and discourage others from becoming customers. Greed needs to stop somewhere. Faithful customers are worth their weight in gold, if not in direct revenue at least in good will and positive advertising but a scorned customer is worse than no customer at all! LET YOURSELF BE HEARD - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!
Message 7 of 280 (13,448 Views)

Crater1 wrote:
I think this stinks too! I've been a wireless customer for almost 20 years. Pacific Bell -> Cingular -> AT&T. I use my "Smart Phone" every day without a data plan and wouldn't use it any differently if I was paying $30 extra a month. I don't use the data - period. I may be forced to stay with AT&T but I won't be forced into a data plan that I don't want or need. I'll find another phone or carrier and go on with my life. The down side for AT&T is that I and my family will do our best to discourage new customers from coming to AT&T. We can only hope that these lost customers will carry the flag and discourage others from becoming customers. Greed needs to stop somewhere. Faithful customers are worth their weight in gold, if not in direct revenue at least in good will and positive advertising but a scorned customer is worse than no customer at all! LET YOURSELF BE HEARD - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!

You do realize that AT&T is the last of the major carriers to mandate a data plan with their SmartPhones?  You can feel free to come on here and complain but going elsewhere won't change the issue.  Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint all require $25-$30 data plans with their PDA phones.

You won't be forced into anything until you decide to replace your current phone.  Maybe at that time you'll find a "dumb" phone that does what you need.

Message 9 of 280 (13,444 Views)
Teacher

Data Plan Requirement Stinks

[ Edited ]
Crater1, In efforts to avoid board clutter and confusion, we ask that you please refrain from cross and double posting. Please check here for responses to your inquiry. Thank you.
Message Edited by mod.moose on 09-08-2009 04:47:22 PM
Message 8 of 280 (13,437 Views)
Mentor

dgiordano wrote:

You do realize that AT&T is the last of the major carriers to mandate a data plan with their SmartPhones?  You can feel free to come on here and complain but going elsewhere won't change the issue.  Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint all require $25-$30 data plans with their PDA phones.

You won't be forced into anything until you decide to replace your current phone.  Maybe at that time you'll find a "dumb" phone that does what you need.

If this is the attitude of phone carriers now, then it is a sad day for the wireless industry.  In my opinion, this is definitely a step backwards and has imposed less choice rather than more as is touted in many ads. 

To say that ATT is now doing the same thing as other carriers such as Verizon, Sprint, etc., makes it sound as if they do not care about being better than other carriers, just being the same.  Not requiring a data plan was something that that gave ATT the edge over other carriers.  Sad to say they have another reason to be  no better than anyone else out there, but they can be satisfied in knowing that they are working towards being just like everyone else.

Soon there will be no distinction on wireless carriers if they all decide to be just like the other guy.

And as far as phone choices go, PDA phones do more than just make phone calls and transfer data.  They have a multitude of apps that can be installed and run that are not dependent on a data connection.  Dumb phones and Smartphones have the commonality of being able to access both data and voice.  The difference with a Smartphone is in the power to do more because of higher processor and memory as well as more advanced hardware.  Some of these phones are like miniature PCs.  Requiring a smartphone to have a data plan would be similar to requiring all laptops to use a broadband card with a data plan.

Message 10 of 280 (13,369 Views)
Mentor

Caliban007 wrote:

I am not sure if this would work.  I had read somewhere that if you switch to a different PDA phone (even one purcahsed on Ebay) that the new IMEI would be detected and thus the data plan charge would kick in because you would no longer be grandfatherred in with your old phone.  I am not sure if this is true or not. 

Comments please.

Message 11 of 280 (4,699 Views)

Has anyone actually found any evidence of this new data plan requirement?  Although I didn't sign into my account, the AT&T online store front still shows devices like the Fuze and a Blackberry being available without a data plan as it contains a statement that "Two-year contract and new activation required. Mail-in rebate requires activation on a $30 or higher data plan. Feature can be canceled at any time."  The mail-in rebate is typically $50.  The iphoney does not mention a data plan although we know that a data plan is required for the iphoney.  Some of the low-end phones like Samsung do not mention the data plan being linked to the rebate.
Message 12 of 280 (4,662 Views)

varnk wrote:

To say that ATT is now doing the same thing as other carriers such as Verizon, Sprint, etc., makes it sound as if they do not care about being better than other carriers, just being the same.  Not requiring a data plan was something that that gave ATT the edge over other carriers.  Sad to say they have another reason to be  no better than anyone else out there, but they can be satisfied in knowing that they are working towards being just like everyone else.

I'm not condoning what AT&T is doing.  I was merely pointing out that it would be pointless to jump to another carrier over this issue.

Message 13 of 280 (4,662 Views)

tilteduser wrote:
Has anyone actually found any evidence of this new data plan requirement? 

If you add a Fuze to your shopping cart you get a pop-up box reading:

Important AT&T Customer Notice:

AT&T requires data service with the purchase of any smartphone, to ensure the best possible experience for this device.

Service options include:

• PDA/BlackBerry® Personal
• PDA/BlackBerry® Personal Bundle
• PDA/BlackBerry® Personal with tethering

Smartphone data service covers data usage in the U.S only.

Message 14 of 280 (4,657 Views)
Mentor

dgiordano wrote:

I'm not condoning what AT&T is doing.  I was merely pointing out that it would be pointless to jump to another carrier over this issue.

I had not realized that other carriers were doing this as well.  It is truly unfortunate.  With phones getting better and costing less, I wonder how long it will be before carriers start requiring all phones to have data plans.

Message 15 of 280 (4,630 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.