Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

Highlighted
Professor

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

03hdfatboy wrote:
I think (I could be wrong) as long as you don't renew your contract you should be grandfathered in.

You are indeed wrong.  If you change your phone (regardless of the source) AT&T reserves the right add a data plan.
Message 196 of 280
Mentor

redpoint73 wrote:

03hdfatboy wrote:
I think (I could be wrong) as long as you don't renew your contract you should be grandfathered in.
You are indeed wrong.  If you change your phone (regardless of the source) AT&T reserves the right add a data plan.

If AT&T requires a data plan with smartphones that are purchased from them, then I have no problem with that.  The customer would agree to this term at the time of purchase and would give their approval of this charge and be bound to the contract.  What I have a problem with is this automatic billing of a data plan if someone just happens to put their SIM into a smartphone that was purchased elsewhere.  This is a violation of customer trust and in my opinion should legally not be permitted.  The customer never gave approval of this charge.  Like I have said before, what would stop them from automatically adding you onto an unlimited text messaging plan just because your phone supports text messaging.

I always thought that the whole idea behind a la carte selection of services is based on what the customer feels they want or need, not base on the capabilities of the device.  Otherwise, why not just charge one flat rate for all services and offer no choice at all when signing up for a cell plan (Just about all cell phones support data, texting, voice, etc..)

Message 197 of 280
Master

I haven't heard AT&T automatically add data plan to your account yet.

But Verizon already started charging data plan on certain non-smartphones, so called media phones. And your idea of mandatory text messaging plan probably won't be too far away as carriers looking for more revenue from their customers.

Message 198 of 280
Scholar

varnk wrote:

redpoint73 wrote:

03hdfatboy wrote:

If AT&T requires a data plan with smartphones that are purchased from them, then I have no problem with that.  The customer would agree to this term at the time of purchase and would give their approval of this charge and be bound to the contract.  What I have a problem with is this automatic billing of a data plan if someone just happens to put their SIM into a smartphone that was purchased elsewhere.  This is a violation of customer trust and in my opinion should legally not be permitted.  The customer never gave approval of this charge.  Like I have said before, what would stop them from automatically adding you onto an unlimited text messaging plan just because your phone supports text messaging.

I always thought that the whole idea behind a la carte selection of services is based on what the customer feels they want or need, not base on the capabilities of the device.  Otherwise, why not just charge one flat rate for all services and offer no choice at all when signing up for a cell plan (Just about all cell phones support data, texting, voice, etc..)

The fact that you have not signed a contract for service with them that indicates they can do so.  If you look at the last contract you signed you will see that it says "certain devices require a data plan"  That term has been on their contracts since at least the release of the iPhone and is only now being enforced.  As long as you maintain a line on AT&T you agree to this term as it is part of their basic TOS.

Message 199 of 280
Professor

I have the $30 unlimited data plan which i am happy with.. what i am VERY upset over is AT&T's plan to implement a TIER charging where you pay as you use the services... if i want a GoPhone, I would buy a Walmart Special or go Cricket.      The CEO's decision to go to a TIER structure is not going to make a lot of us happy.

http://phonedog.com/cell-phone-research/blog/at-t-ceo-tiered-data-charges-likely-in-the-future.aspx

Message 200 of 280
Scholar

RicoLX wrote:

I have the $30 unlimited data plan which i am happy with.. what i am VERY upset over is AT&T's plan to implement a TIER charging where you pay as you use the services... if i want a GoPhone, I would buy a Walmart Special or go Cricket.      The CEO's decision to go to a TIER structure is not going to make a lot of us happy.

http://phonedog.com/cell-phone-research/blog/at-t-ceo-tiered-data-charges-likely-in-the-future.aspx

So what's so wrong with it?  Seems to me that those of us who never use data but would like to have access based on what they use will love it.  The fact is, we have been getting the short end of the stick because of the abuse of the unlimited plans.  It was never intended to be used for tethering yet people do it anyway.  I am sure they will still have an unlimited option, but perhaps they will have a more reasonalby priced option for those of us who only use it once in a while.  I am on PayPerUse and never use $30 but I also can't upgrade my phone because I refuse to pay $30 a month for something I don't use.  I am willing to bet that the current MediaNet and other plans will simply be eliminated and become the new tiered plan.  In the end, if you don't like it, then change to another carrier when it happens and cross your fingers until they do the same.
Message 201 of 280
Professor

barbwr wrote:

So what's so wrong with it?  Seems to me that those of us who never use data but would like to have access based on what they use will love it

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sign this guy up for a  GO PHONE plan... yep you would be happy paying as you go....  I paid for unlimited access, if i wanted your plan, i would have signed up for it....  I am NOT a high-end user, but as long as i have unlimited access, i am not complaining about them either...(your precious pay as you go concept will be just as slow, little or no access at times too)

Message 202 of 280
Scholar

RicoLX wrote:

barbwr wrote:

So what's so wrong with it?  Seems to me that those of us who never use data but would like to have access based on what they use will love it

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sign this guy up for a  GO PHONE plan... yep you would be happy paying as you go....  I paid for unlimited access, if i wanted your plan, i would have signed up for it....  I am NOT a high-end user, but as long as i have unlimited access, i am not complaining about them either...(your precious pay as you go concept will be just as slow, little or no access at times too)

RicoLX wrote:

barbwr wrote:

Go Phones use a prepaid plan for general service.  I like my post paid plan.  We are not talking about service in general, we are talking about data.  If you want unlimited..GREAT, pay for it.  Making eveyone pay for an unlimited plan just to have access is unfair.  While they have every right to do it, I am GLAD they are going to give us more options.  If you are not a high end user, how can you complain about a plan that has not even been detailed.  Perhaps you would qualify for an even lower rate?  You can't possibly know this since they have not released details.  Unless of course you DO use a higher amount of data in which case you should pay appropriately so those of us who rarely use it can have a reasonably priced option.  The odds are pretty good that you will not pay a dime more but those of us without a plan will be able to get a plan more along the lines of the $20 family data plan.  Customer service is about options as many have pointed out in this thread and they are looking to provide options.  So now all those who laughed at those of us who were on the short end of this requirement are seeing what it's like to have to ACCEPT a new requirement.
Message 203 of 280
Professor

{keep it courteous}  blarbwire, if u r too cheep to get unlimited,don't, but those of us who got the unlimited plan are happy w/it. go be happh w/ur G O P H O N E haha
Message Edited by mod.moose on 03-04-2010 06:01:55 PM
Message 204 of 280
Scholar

I personally have a problem with looks at it from a different perspective. I'll pay for data, texting, and have no problem with ATT making a profit off my service. My issue is that I pay the same price for data that iphones do, yet my data use and experience is vastly inferior. It may be my device (tp2), but not location since friends with iphones have a better signal and data stream when we compare........

It's an evolving business, yet it seems that ATT is milking those who don't have iphones for all they can. I will say their customer support has been hit and miss, but some within the dept have been extremely helpful and considerate, so don't take this as an anti ATT rant. Had it not been for the contract, I'd look into other options.......

Message 205 of 280

diagoro wrote:

I personally have a problem with looks at it from a different perspective. I'll pay for data, texting, and have no problem with ATT making a profit off my service. My issue is that I pay the same price for data that iphones do, yet my data use and experience is vastly inferior. It may be my device (tp2), but not location since friends with iphones have a better signal and data stream when we compare........

It's an evolving business, yet it seems that ATT is milking those who don't have iphones for all they can. I will say their customer support has been hit and miss, but some within the dept have been extremely helpful and considerate, so don't take this as an anti ATT rant. Had it not been for the contract, I'd look into other options.......

The $30 smartphone plans have been around a lot longer than the iPhone.  In response to your comparison, how do you figure the iPhone has a better signal and data stream?  I pull in just as much data on my Fuze as iPhone owners do.  Have your friends with iPhones access their email while at a ballgame... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold
Message 206 of 280
Scholar

I know there's lots of complaints for all phones at ATT regarding poor network strength/signal, etc......but it's been clear to me and many others (just check numerous posts) that iphones and 'other smartphones' have different experiences on the network. I can't say for sure why, but I'm sure the plethora of media streaming apps that are available for iphones is a big part of it, makes it simple and easy for even the least tech savvy user.

There have been rumours (though no solid proof as yet) that ATT has made it easier for iphones to access the networks resources. I'm just stating that my personal experience with my TP2 and friend's iphones (in numerous locations) bears this out. It could also be a difference in devices, but I've had issues with all 4 TP2s that I've had in terms of slow network poor signal (and very laggy/slow device that sucks up ram)......

Overall, just stating that, if it were true ATT was choosing to give one device better/smoother access over another, than there's no reason why those like myself should have to pay the same price, regardless of how long said pricing plan has been around.
Message 207 of 280
Professor

Diagoro wrote:  "if it were true ATT was choosing to give one device better/smoother access over another, than there's no reason why those like myself should have to pay the same price, regardless of how long said pricing plan has been around. "

I agree with you there, Diagoro, but i dont think that ATT will do that. Theres no way they can put Iphone users on a different server with best reception, etc and the rest of us on a different environment with choking, sluggish ,etc for the same price .  If that IS the case, then ATT should be prepared for a lot of disatisfied customers and losing a lot of business.

Message Edited by RicoLX on 03-05-2010 01:10:07 PM
Message 208 of 280
Scholar

RicoLX wrote:
{keep it courteous}  blarbwire, if u r too cheep to get unlimited,don't, but those of us who got the unlimited plan are happy w/it. go be happh w/ur G O P H O N E haha
Message Edited by mod.moose on 03-04-2010 06:01:55 PM

LOL...Now that's funny.  I love it when someone does the work for me.

Message 209 of 280
Professor

barbwire, sorry about that.... but i joined ATT because of the unlimited pkg.  I will not let them MAKE me subscribe to anything otherwise.
Message 210 of 280
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support