Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 6, 2009
7:26:36 PM
View profile
Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

I just discovered that ATT is now going to require all PDA phones to have a data plan after Sept. 6th.  I have seen all the reasoning behind this, and frankly, I am upset.  I am perfectly happy with my ATT Tilt using WiFi access only.  I have never desired to have a data plan and like to use the features of my phone without the bloated cost of a data plan,

ATT has stated that they feel this is necessary to help prevent customers from excessive data charges for people who do not get a data plan.  I say it is just to force people to pay for data plans even if they they are perfectly content without one.  I have never had excessive data usage charges because I am intelligent enough to understand that I only access data when I am on a WiFi network.  This ridiculous requirement is now going to force me to reconsider staying with ATT as my wireless carrier.  I was also considering upgrading from my Tilt to a Fuze, but now I am not so sure.

I would hope that ATT would reconsider this requirement and allow their customers to continue to have the choice on whether they feel they need a data plan or not.  In my case, I do not and would like to keep it that way.

I just discovered that ATT is now going to require all PDA phones to have a data plan after Sept. 6th.  I have seen all the reasoning behind this, and frankly, I am upset.  I am perfectly happy with my ATT Tilt using WiFi access only.  I have never desired to have a data plan and like to use the features of my phone without the bloated cost of a data plan,

ATT has stated that they feel this is necessary to help prevent customers from excessive data charges for people who do not get a data plan.  I say it is just to force people to pay for data plans even if they they are perfectly content without one.  I have never had excessive data usage charges because I am intelligent enough to understand that I only access data when I am on a WiFi network.  This ridiculous requirement is now going to force me to reconsider staying with ATT as my wireless carrier.  I was also considering upgrading from my Tilt to a Fuze, but now I am not so sure.

I would hope that ATT would reconsider this requirement and allow their customers to continue to have the choice on whether they feel they need a data plan or not.  In my case, I do not and would like to keep it that way.

Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

279 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(279)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2009 11:39:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

barbwyr wrote:

brent_si wrote:
Im so frustrated at this point im about to go to verizon. I can't get anyone at att to give me a decent price on a tilt 2 when others have provided reciepts to prove they got a better deal. I also have a company discount and they don't car. Im so sick of all of the stuff att does.

Retail stores aren't required to price match because there are a vast number of reasons that others get better prices.  Your best bet is to call AT&T CS and ask them to price match but that doesn't mean they will.  After all, they are in the busniess to make money, so getting angry that they will not give you a deal like your friends is a waste of your nerves. 

Furthermore, most retails stores are not actually ATT corporate stores, but privately owned franchises.  They don't have access to the same pricing, and can't even price match if they wanted to.  Its a weird business model, but its true.   So to walk into one of these stores, and expect them to be able to price match something you heard of online, they just can't do it.

barbwyr wrote:

brent_si wrote:
Im so frustrated at this point im about to go to verizon. I can't get anyone at att to give me a decent price on a tilt 2 when others have provided reciepts to prove they got a better deal. I also have a company discount and they don't car. Im so sick of all of the stuff att does.

Retail stores aren't required to price match because there are a vast number of reasons that others get better prices.  Your best bet is to call AT&T CS and ask them to price match but that doesn't mean they will.  After all, they are in the busniess to make money, so getting angry that they will not give you a deal like your friends is a waste of your nerves. 

Furthermore, most retails stores are not actually ATT corporate stores, but privately owned franchises.  They don't have access to the same pricing, and can't even price match if they wanted to.  Its a weird business model, but its true.   So to walk into one of these stores, and expect them to be able to price match something you heard of online, they just can't do it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

181 of 280 (1,429 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2010 7:09:37 PM
(0)
Scholar

My 8925 started messing up a few weeks ago with the screen turning white when you brought it out of standby and finally Thursday it wouldn't read my SD card anymore Smiley Sad  I called AT&T and told them that I wanted to replace my fone and I was eligible for an upgrade and I wanted the tilt 2 but I didn't want the new data plan I wanted to keep my 15/mo plan because I couldn't justify the extra cost of the new plan sense I can't get 3G where I live and what I'm getting now is slow as dial up so why should I pay 30/mo for the same slowass network? I was told that I had to have it if I wanted that fone.. If I didn't want the new plan I could get another fone and I was like "I want THIS fone I don't want another fone" I and I was told flat out too bad that the extra cost had nothing to do with the 3G network and if I didn't want to pay the extra 15/mo then I would hafta get a "dumb" fone. I was like I've been a customer for over 10 years and this is how I'm treated? I was told "I'm sorry but that is how it is" I told them it was BS..  I bought me another 8925 on e-bay to get me by for now, plus I'll give it to my Son when I get a new one 

I will get a new Tilt 2 and have come to the conclusion that I would come out cheaper over the course of my 2 yr contract buying the fone straight out anyway Smiley Tongue

My 8925 started messing up a few weeks ago with the screen turning white when you brought it out of standby and finally Thursday it wouldn't read my SD card anymore Smiley Sad  I called AT&T and told them that I wanted to replace my fone and I was eligible for an upgrade and I wanted the tilt 2 but I didn't want the new data plan I wanted to keep my 15/mo plan because I couldn't justify the extra cost of the new plan sense I can't get 3G where I live and what I'm getting now is slow as dial up so why should I pay 30/mo for the same slowass network? I was told that I had to have it if I wanted that fone.. If I didn't want the new plan I could get another fone and I was like "I want THIS fone I don't want another fone" I and I was told flat out too bad that the extra cost had nothing to do with the 3G network and if I didn't want to pay the extra 15/mo then I would hafta get a "dumb" fone. I was like I've been a customer for over 10 years and this is how I'm treated? I was told "I'm sorry but that is how it is" I told them it was BS..  I bought me another 8925 on e-bay to get me by for now, plus I'll give it to my Son when I get a new one 

I will get a new Tilt 2 and have come to the conclusion that I would come out cheaper over the course of my 2 yr contract buying the fone straight out anyway Smiley Tongue

From my iPhone 4

182 of 280 (1,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2010 5:51:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

03hdfatboy wrote:

That's the policy, and I don't see why ATT should give you special treatment just because you've been a customer for 10 years.  Lots of people don't like it, but yes, that's how it is.  All the other major carriers have similar policies now.  Violating policy for one customer just for reasons like loyalty is not good customer service.  Inconsistent enforcement of policies just leads to confusion, which is actually poor customer service.

03hdfatboy wrote:

That's the policy, and I don't see why ATT should give you special treatment just because you've been a customer for 10 years.  Lots of people don't like it, but yes, that's how it is.  All the other major carriers have similar policies now.  Violating policy for one customer just for reasons like loyalty is not good customer service.  Inconsistent enforcement of policies just leads to confusion, which is actually poor customer service.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

183 of 280 (1,017 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2010 5:51:53 AM
(0)
Mentor

03hdfatboy wrote:

I have a feeling that I may be facing a similar situation soon.  My 8925 is over two years old and I know that some day it will probably die.  I have not tested the required data plan rule yet, but it sounds as though the grandfatherring only stays in effect for as long as you use your current PDA phone.  I would be curious to know if when you get another PDA phone (outside of AT&T), if they detect it and force a data plan on you.  If I were to buy a new Tilt 2 on E-Bay, would AT&T detect it as a different PDA phone and then automatically charge me for a data plan? 

03hdfatboy wrote:

I have a feeling that I may be facing a similar situation soon.  My 8925 is over two years old and I know that some day it will probably die.  I have not tested the required data plan rule yet, but it sounds as though the grandfatherring only stays in effect for as long as you use your current PDA phone.  I would be curious to know if when you get another PDA phone (outside of AT&T), if they detect it and force a data plan on you.  If I were to buy a new Tilt 2 on E-Bay, would AT&T detect it as a different PDA phone and then automatically charge me for a data plan? 

184 of 280 (1,017 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2010 6:00:43 AM
(0)
Mentor

redpoint73 wrote:

03hdfatboy wrote:

I highly disagree.  Maintaining customer loyalty IS good customer service (at lest it used to be).  Unfortunately, that concept appears to be outdated in today's times.  Taking away customer choice does not promote good customer relations no matter what the other carriers are doing. 

redpoint73 wrote:

03hdfatboy wrote:

I highly disagree.  Maintaining customer loyalty IS good customer service (at lest it used to be).  Unfortunately, that concept appears to be outdated in today's times.  Taking away customer choice does not promote good customer relations no matter what the other carriers are doing. 

185 of 280 (1,014 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2010 6:56:22 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Caretaker on Mar 1, 2010 at 7:07:14 AM

redpoint73 wrote:

03hdfatboy wrote:

That's what's wrong with this country.. Nobody gives a { word filter evasion }  about people, loyalty or good customer service anymore.. "you don't like it..TUFF stuff!" .. that's why places like walmart has ruined small town business.
Message Edited by Caretaker on 03-01-2010 07:07:14 AM

redpoint73 wrote:

03hdfatboy wrote:

That's what's wrong with this country.. Nobody gives a { word filter evasion }  about people, loyalty or good customer service anymore.. "you don't like it..TUFF stuff!" .. that's why places like walmart has ruined small town business.
Message Edited by Caretaker on 03-01-2010 07:07:14 AM
From my iPhone 4

[ Edited ]
186 of 280 (1,009 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2010 7:08:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Actually, a lot of what is wrong with the country is that people feel entitled to special treatment for little or no reason, or that they have the write to circumvent the rules.  Things often run much more efficiently and predicatably when policies are enforced in a uniform way.  I can see ATT rewarding your loyalty by waiving a fee, or giving a one-time discount.  But IMO its unreasonable for you to expect them to violate an operational policy which has a long term impact on your month-to-month billing.  If they bend the rules for your since you've been a customer for 10 years, then how about the guy that has been a customer for 9 years.  Or 8 years?  They have to draw a line somewhere.

I agree that the policy is unfair to people that want to have a smartphone for use on WiFi networks.  Based on the response to this policy on this thread, there seem to be a fair number of people in that boat.  But I think your anger is slightly misplaced.  The policy should be changed.  Not enforcing the policy in a willy-nilly manner, and bending the rules in a non-uniform manner.

Actually, a lot of what is wrong with the country is that people feel entitled to special treatment for little or no reason, or that they have the write to circumvent the rules.  Things often run much more efficiently and predicatably when policies are enforced in a uniform way.  I can see ATT rewarding your loyalty by waiving a fee, or giving a one-time discount.  But IMO its unreasonable for you to expect them to violate an operational policy which has a long term impact on your month-to-month billing.  If they bend the rules for your since you've been a customer for 10 years, then how about the guy that has been a customer for 9 years.  Or 8 years?  They have to draw a line somewhere.

I agree that the policy is unfair to people that want to have a smartphone for use on WiFi networks.  Based on the response to this policy on this thread, there seem to be a fair number of people in that boat.  But I think your anger is slightly misplaced.  The policy should be changed.  Not enforcing the policy in a willy-nilly manner, and bending the rules in a non-uniform manner.

187 of 280 (1,001 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2010 7:17:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

varnk wrote:

redpoint73 wrote:

03hdfatboy wrote:

As I mention in the post above, there are better ways to reward customer loyalty.  Inconsistant billing of data plan usage is not the right way to do it.

But yes, ATT and most cell carriers don't care about loyalty.  Losing a single customer doesn't seem to phase cell carriers much.  They would rather penalize you for leaving, rather rewarding you for staying.

varnk wrote:

redpoint73 wrote:

03hdfatboy wrote:

As I mention in the post above, there are better ways to reward customer loyalty.  Inconsistant billing of data plan usage is not the right way to do it.

But yes, ATT and most cell carriers don't care about loyalty.  Losing a single customer doesn't seem to phase cell carriers much.  They would rather penalize you for leaving, rather rewarding you for staying.

188 of 280 (999 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2010 7:36:45 AM
(0)
Scholar
Don't get me wrong I'm NOT angry.. Just don't like the new policy. Like I said I'll just buy the fone straight out.. Makes more sense and cheaper in the long run.
Don't get me wrong I'm NOT angry.. Just don't like the new policy. Like I said I'll just buy the fone straight out.. Makes more sense and cheaper in the long run.
From my iPhone 4

189 of 280 (982 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2010 8:20:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
I hear you.  You have a reason to complain about the policy, for sure (AND to be angry about it).  I just don't think the individual customer support employess have the latitude to sell you a phone without the data plan, even if they wanted to.
I hear you.  You have a reason to complain about the policy, for sure (AND to be angry about it).  I just don't think the individual customer support employess have the latitude to sell you a phone without the data plan, even if they wanted to.

190 of 280 (973 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2010 1:34:14 PM
(0)
Scholar

From what I understand, ATT cannot differentiate between smartphones, but can between smartphones and regular phones. Therefore, if you're using a smartphone and stick your existing sim in another smartphone, there's no difference as far as they are concerned. It's when you buy a discounted phone from them, and sign a new agreement, is when the new data plan requirement kicks in.

I figure $30 a month for 10 months = $300--plenty of money to buy a nice phone off of ebay without a data plan. When my 8525 dies, that's what I plan on doing. 

Now....if the sim dies (which we had one do recently, although it wasn't on a smartphone) when they activate a new sim, will there be automatic data charges? I think signing a new contract is necessary to add a data plan, but I could be wrong.

Awwww......at my age, I don't need life to become more difficult.....too much thinking and figuring....

There's more info on the Palm/Treo forum on this topic as well.

From what I understand, ATT cannot differentiate between smartphones, but can between smartphones and regular phones. Therefore, if you're using a smartphone and stick your existing sim in another smartphone, there's no difference as far as they are concerned. It's when you buy a discounted phone from them, and sign a new agreement, is when the new data plan requirement kicks in.

I figure $30 a month for 10 months = $300--plenty of money to buy a nice phone off of ebay without a data plan. When my 8525 dies, that's what I plan on doing. 

Now....if the sim dies (which we had one do recently, although it wasn't on a smartphone) when they activate a new sim, will there be automatic data charges? I think signing a new contract is necessary to add a data plan, but I could be wrong.

Awwww......at my age, I don't need life to become more difficult.....too much thinking and figuring....

191 of 280 (1,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2010 1:54:38 PM
(0)
Master

msiscrm wrote:

ATT knows exactly which phone you're using, Smartphone or not, the second you power it on with an AT&T sim card as long as the phone is AT&T branded. I did a warranty exchange for my kid's BJ2 at AT&T device center. I immediately received a text message about need to add data plan with the replacement phone (from warrantye exchange). Of course, my kid's BJ2 bought before the mandatory date and hence doesn't need a data plan. I put a data block on the account anyway just to be sure.

So, to answer your question, the only way you can get away with it is buy a non-AT&T phone elsewhere. But with non-AT&T phones, you probably won't ever get 3G on it which may not concern you much as you don't use cell data connection anyway.

A new SIM card won't make you pay for data plan. It is the phone that matters.

msiscrm wrote:

ATT knows exactly which phone you're using, Smartphone or not, the second you power it on with an AT&T sim card as long as the phone is AT&T branded. I did a warranty exchange for my kid's BJ2 at AT&T device center. I immediately received a text message about need to add data plan with the replacement phone (from warrantye exchange). Of course, my kid's BJ2 bought before the mandatory date and hence doesn't need a data plan. I put a data block on the account anyway just to be sure.

So, to answer your question, the only way you can get away with it is buy a non-AT&T phone elsewhere. But with non-AT&T phones, you probably won't ever get 3G on it which may not concern you much as you don't use cell data connection anyway.

A new SIM card won't make you pay for data plan. It is the phone that matters.

192 of 280 (1,316 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2010 2:00:02 PM
(0)
Scholar
I think (I could be wrong) as long as you don't renew your contract you should be grandfathered in.
I think (I could be wrong) as long as you don't renew your contract you should be grandfathered in.
From my iPhone 4

193 of 280 (1,314 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2010 2:06:47 PM
(0)
Scholar

msiscrm wrote:

Actually they can differentiate between them.  That's how their billing system knows which device is on your account to display on the OAM.  If you buy a 3rd party device that is NOT AT&T branded and has not been previously reported on the system then there is a chance it will not be recognized.  I have still not seen any anicdotal evidence to suggest they can and have seen several reports of people getting around the policy this way.

As for customer loyalty.  It's VERY poor customer service to violate an operational policy for one customer based on lengthy of service because others would not be entitled to the same privilage and the number who are nowbeing disserviced is much higher than the one who is being treated special.  Companies wave one time fees and credit overages all the time and that is GOOD customer service.

Finally, as to the new policy.  I don't like it myself because I really want a new phone, but can't afford the added cost of the data plan and I simply don't use it.  However, I can understand why they do it and they have every right to do it.  It's not UNFAIR to us that they do it, it's simply a fact of life in the service and if we don't like it we just have to find another phone, service or provider.  I am facing a similar issue with my cable provider.  Cable companies do not charge for HD tv I believe for legal reasons, but even though they can not charge and even advertise it as free....the box required to get it costs $2 more than the older non HD box.  This WOULD be unfair except that the new HD box is the only box available to customers.  I learned this when replacing my living room box to get HD and my bedroom box because it was having trouble recording.  My daughter still has the old box which is $2 less, but if I ever replace that box my cost will go up $2.  Of course, in general I have to pay $8 for the box to get channels above 99 or something like that, and if I don't want to pay for it, I simply don't get the extra channels, very similar to the data fees.   Just because your device has a feature does not mean they have to include it in their basic service.

msiscrm wrote:

Actually they can differentiate between them.  That's how their billing system knows which device is on your account to display on the OAM.  If you buy a 3rd party device that is NOT AT&T branded and has not been previously reported on the system then there is a chance it will not be recognized.  I have still not seen any anicdotal evidence to suggest they can and have seen several reports of people getting around the policy this way.

As for customer loyalty.  It's VERY poor customer service to violate an operational policy for one customer based on lengthy of service because others would not be entitled to the same privilage and the number who are nowbeing disserviced is much higher than the one who is being treated special.  Companies wave one time fees and credit overages all the time and that is GOOD customer service.

Finally, as to the new policy.  I don't like it myself because I really want a new phone, but can't afford the added cost of the data plan and I simply don't use it.  However, I can understand why they do it and they have every right to do it.  It's not UNFAIR to us that they do it, it's simply a fact of life in the service and if we don't like it we just have to find another phone, service or provider.  I am facing a similar issue with my cable provider.  Cable companies do not charge for HD tv I believe for legal reasons, but even though they can not charge and even advertise it as free....the box required to get it costs $2 more than the older non HD box.  This WOULD be unfair except that the new HD box is the only box available to customers.  I learned this when replacing my living room box to get HD and my bedroom box because it was having trouble recording.  My daughter still has the old box which is $2 less, but if I ever replace that box my cost will go up $2.  Of course, in general I have to pay $8 for the box to get channels above 99 or something like that, and if I don't want to pay for it, I simply don't get the extra channels, very similar to the data fees.   Just because your device has a feature does not mean they have to include it in their basic service.

194 of 280 (1,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2010 2:12:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

msiscrm wrote:

This topic has been under debate on these forums.  ATT can read the IMEI number off your phone easily.  They know if your IMEI number changes, and that the phone is different.  If its an ATT phone, they can tell what make/model it is.   What has been under debate, is whether they can tell the make/model of non-ATT IMEI numbers.  

http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=medianet&thread.id=14333

msiscrm wrote:

Data plans can be added or removed as often as you like (except for iPhone).  It has nothing to do with renewing the contract.

msiscrm wrote:

This topic has been under debate on these forums.  ATT can read the IMEI number off your phone easily.  They know if your IMEI number changes, and that the phone is different.  If its an ATT phone, they can tell what make/model it is.   What has been under debate, is whether they can tell the make/model of non-ATT IMEI numbers.  

http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=medianet&thread.id=14333

msiscrm wrote:

Data plans can be added or removed as often as you like (except for iPhone).  It has nothing to do with renewing the contract.

195 of 280 (1,310 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2010 2:21:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

03hdfatboy wrote:

You are indeed wrong.  If you change your phone (regardless of the source) AT&T reserves the right add a data plan.

03hdfatboy wrote:

You are indeed wrong.  If you change your phone (regardless of the source) AT&T reserves the right add a data plan.

196 of 280 (1,302 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2010 6:01:53 AM
(0)
Mentor

redpoint73 wrote:

03hdfatboy wrote:

If AT&T requires a data plan with smartphones that are purchased from them, then I have no problem with that.  The customer would agree to this term at the time of purchase and would give their approval of this charge and be bound to the contract.  What I have a problem with is this automatic billing of a data plan if someone just happens to put their SIM into a smartphone that was purchased elsewhere.  This is a violation of customer trust and in my opinion should legally not be permitted.  The customer never gave approval of this charge.  Like I have said before, what would stop them from automatically adding you onto an unlimited text messaging plan just because your phone supports text messaging.

I always thought that the whole idea behind a la carte selection of services is based on what the customer feels they want or need, not base on the capabilities of the device.  Otherwise, why not just charge one flat rate for all services and offer no choice at all when signing up for a cell plan (Just about all cell phones support data, texting, voice, etc..)

redpoint73 wrote:

03hdfatboy wrote:

If AT&T requires a data plan with smartphones that are purchased from them, then I have no problem with that.  The customer would agree to this term at the time of purchase and would give their approval of this charge and be bound to the contract.  What I have a problem with is this automatic billing of a data plan if someone just happens to put their SIM into a smartphone that was purchased elsewhere.  This is a violation of customer trust and in my opinion should legally not be permitted.  The customer never gave approval of this charge.  Like I have said before, what would stop them from automatically adding you onto an unlimited text messaging plan just because your phone supports text messaging.

I always thought that the whole idea behind a la carte selection of services is based on what the customer feels they want or need, not base on the capabilities of the device.  Otherwise, why not just charge one flat rate for all services and offer no choice at all when signing up for a cell plan (Just about all cell phones support data, texting, voice, etc..)

197 of 280 (1,243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2010 7:00:40 AM
(0)
Master

I haven't heard AT&T automatically add data plan to your account yet.

But Verizon already started charging data plan on certain non-smartphones, so called media phones. And your idea of mandatory text messaging plan probably won't be too far away as carriers looking for more revenue from their customers.

I haven't heard AT&T automatically add data plan to your account yet.

But Verizon already started charging data plan on certain non-smartphones, so called media phones. And your idea of mandatory text messaging plan probably won't be too far away as carriers looking for more revenue from their customers.

198 of 280 (1,232 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2010 7:22:04 AM
(0)
Scholar

varnk wrote:

redpoint73 wrote:

03hdfatboy wrote:

The fact that you have not signed a contract for service with them that indicates they can do so.  If you look at the last contract you signed you will see that it says "certain devices require a data plan"  That term has been on their contracts since at least the release of the iPhone and is only now being enforced.  As long as you maintain a line on AT&T you agree to this term as it is part of their basic TOS.

varnk wrote:

redpoint73 wrote:

03hdfatboy wrote:

The fact that you have not signed a contract for service with them that indicates they can do so.  If you look at the last contract you signed you will see that it says "certain devices require a data plan"  That term has been on their contracts since at least the release of the iPhone and is only now being enforced.  As long as you maintain a line on AT&T you agree to this term as it is part of their basic TOS.

199 of 280 (1,230 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2010 4:19:08 PM
(0)
Professor

I have the $30 unlimited data plan which i am happy with.. what i am VERY upset over is AT&T's plan to implement a TIER charging where you pay as you use the services... if i want a GoPhone, I would buy a Walmart Special or go Cricket.      The CEO's decision to go to a TIER structure is not going to make a lot of us happy.

http://phonedog.com/cell-phone-research/blog/at-t-ceo-tiered-data-charges-likely-in-the-future.aspx

I have the $30 unlimited data plan which i am happy with.. what i am VERY upset over is AT&T's plan to implement a TIER charging where you pay as you use the services... if i want a GoPhone, I would buy a Walmart Special or go Cricket.      The CEO's decision to go to a TIER structure is not going to make a lot of us happy.

http://phonedog.com/cell-phone-research/blog/at-t-ceo-tiered-data-charges-likely-in-the-future.aspx

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

200 of 280 (1,165 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 3, 2010 11:08:09 PM
(0)
Scholar

RicoLX wrote:

So what's so wrong with it?  Seems to me that those of us who never use data but would like to have access based on what they use will love it.  The fact is, we have been getting the short end of the stick because of the abuse of the unlimited plans.  It was never intended to be used for tethering yet people do it anyway.  I am sure they will still have an unlimited option, but perhaps they will have a more reasonalby priced option for those of us who only use it once in a while.  I am on PayPerUse and never use $30 but I also can't upgrade my phone because I refuse to pay $30 a month for something I don't use.  I am willing to bet that the current MediaNet and other plans will simply be eliminated and become the new tiered plan.  In the end, if you don't like it, then change to another carrier when it happens and cross your fingers until they do the same.

RicoLX wrote:

So what's so wrong with it?  Seems to me that those of us who never use data but would like to have access based on what they use will love it.  The fact is, we have been getting the short end of the stick because of the abuse of the unlimited plans.  It was never intended to be used for tethering yet people do it anyway.  I am sure they will still have an unlimited option, but perhaps they will have a more reasonalby priced option for those of us who only use it once in a while.  I am on PayPerUse and never use $30 but I also can't upgrade my phone because I refuse to pay $30 a month for something I don't use.  I am willing to bet that the current MediaNet and other plans will simply be eliminated and become the new tiered plan.  In the end, if you don't like it, then change to another carrier when it happens and cross your fingers until they do the same.

201 of 280 (1,360 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2010 3:31:48 AM
(0)
Professor

barbwr wrote:

So what's so wrong with it?  Seems to me that those of us who never use data but would like to have access based on what they use will love it

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sign this guy up for a  GO PHONE plan... yep you would be happy paying as you go....  I paid for unlimited access, if i wanted your plan, i would have signed up for it....  I am NOT a high-end user, but as long as i have unlimited access, i am not complaining about them either...(your precious pay as you go concept will be just as slow, little or no access at times too)

barbwr wrote:

So what's so wrong with it?  Seems to me that those of us who never use data but would like to have access based on what they use will love it

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sign this guy up for a  GO PHONE plan... yep you would be happy paying as you go....  I paid for unlimited access, if i wanted your plan, i would have signed up for it....  I am NOT a high-end user, but as long as i have unlimited access, i am not complaining about them either...(your precious pay as you go concept will be just as slow, little or no access at times too)

202 of 280 (1,345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2010 5:10:03 PM
(0)
Scholar

RicoLX wrote:

barbwr wrote:

RicoLX wrote:

barbwr wrote:

Go Phones use a prepaid plan for general service.  I like my post paid plan.  We are not talking about service in general, we are talking about data.  If you want unlimited..GREAT, pay for it.  Making eveyone pay for an unlimited plan just to have access is unfair.  While they have every right to do it, I am GLAD they are going to give us more options.  If you are not a high end user, how can you complain about a plan that has not even been detailed.  Perhaps you would qualify for an even lower rate?  You can't possibly know this since they have not released details.  Unless of course you DO use a higher amount of data in which case you should pay appropriately so those of us who rarely use it can have a reasonably priced option.  The odds are pretty good that you will not pay a dime more but those of us without a plan will be able to get a plan more along the lines of the $20 family data plan.  Customer service is about options as many have pointed out in this thread and they are looking to provide options.  So now all those who laughed at those of us who were on the short end of this requirement are seeing what it's like to have to ACCEPT a new requirement.

RicoLX wrote:

barbwr wrote:

RicoLX wrote:

barbwr wrote:

Go Phones use a prepaid plan for general service.  I like my post paid plan.  We are not talking about service in general, we are talking about data.  If you want unlimited..GREAT, pay for it.  Making eveyone pay for an unlimited plan just to have access is unfair.  While they have every right to do it, I am GLAD they are going to give us more options.  If you are not a high end user, how can you complain about a plan that has not even been detailed.  Perhaps you would qualify for an even lower rate?  You can't possibly know this since they have not released details.  Unless of course you DO use a higher amount of data in which case you should pay appropriately so those of us who rarely use it can have a reasonably priced option.  The odds are pretty good that you will not pay a dime more but those of us without a plan will be able to get a plan more along the lines of the $20 family data plan.  Customer service is about options as many have pointed out in this thread and they are looking to provide options.  So now all those who laughed at those of us who were on the short end of this requirement are seeing what it's like to have to ACCEPT a new requirement.

203 of 280 (1,297 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2010 5:29:02 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by mod.moose on Mar 4, 2010 at 6:01:55 PM
{keep it courteous}  blarbwire, if u r too cheep to get unlimited,don't, but those of us who got the unlimited plan are happy w/it. go be happh w/ur G O P H O N E haha
Message Edited by mod.moose on 03-04-2010 06:01:55 PM
{keep it courteous}  blarbwire, if u r too cheep to get unlimited,don't, but those of us who got the unlimited plan are happy w/it. go be happh w/ur G O P H O N E haha

[ Edited ]
204 of 280 (1,293 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2010 8:38:33 AM
(0)
Scholar

I personally have a problem with looks at it from a different perspective. I'll pay for data, texting, and have no problem with ATT making a profit off my service. My issue is that I pay the same price for data that iphones do, yet my data use and experience is vastly inferior. It may be my device (tp2), but not location since friends with iphones have a better signal and data stream when we compare........

It's an evolving business, yet it seems that ATT is milking those who don't have iphones for all they can. I will say their customer support has been hit and miss, but some within the dept have been extremely helpful and considerate, so don't take this as an anti ATT rant. Had it not been for the contract, I'd look into other options.......

I personally have a problem with looks at it from a different perspective. I'll pay for data, texting, and have no problem with ATT making a profit off my service. My issue is that I pay the same price for data that iphones do, yet my data use and experience is vastly inferior. It may be my device (tp2), but not location since friends with iphones have a better signal and data stream when we compare........

It's an evolving business, yet it seems that ATT is milking those who don't have iphones for all they can. I will say their customer support has been hit and miss, but some within the dept have been extremely helpful and considerate, so don't take this as an anti ATT rant. Had it not been for the contract, I'd look into other options.......

205 of 280 (1,257 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2010 9:00:41 AM
(0)
Expert

diagoro wrote:

The $30 smartphone plans have been around a lot longer than the iPhone.  In response to your comparison, how do you figure the iPhone has a better signal and data stream?  I pull in just as much data on my Fuze as iPhone owners do.  Have your friends with iPhones access their email while at a ballgame... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

diagoro wrote:

The $30 smartphone plans have been around a lot longer than the iPhone.  In response to your comparison, how do you figure the iPhone has a better signal and data stream?  I pull in just as much data on my Fuze as iPhone owners do.  Have your friends with iPhones access their email while at a ballgame... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

206 of 280 (1,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2010 10:52:33 AM
(0)
Scholar
I know there's lots of complaints for all phones at ATT regarding poor network strength/signal, etc......but it's been clear to me and many others (just check numerous posts) that iphones and 'other smartphones' have different experiences on the network. I can't say for sure why, but I'm sure the plethora of media streaming apps that are available for iphones is a big part of it, makes it simple and easy for even the least tech savvy user.

There have been rumours (though no solid proof as yet) that ATT has made it easier for iphones to access the networks resources. I'm just stating that my personal experience with my TP2 and friend's iphones (in numerous locations) bears this out. It could also be a difference in devices, but I've had issues with all 4 TP2s that I've had in terms of slow network poor signal (and very laggy/slow device that sucks up ram)......

Overall, just stating that, if it were true ATT was choosing to give one device better/smoother access over another, than there's no reason why those like myself should have to pay the same price, regardless of how long said pricing plan has been around.
I know there's lots of complaints for all phones at ATT regarding poor network strength/signal, etc......but it's been clear to me and many others (just check numerous posts) that iphones and 'other smartphones' have different experiences on the network. I can't say for sure why, but I'm sure the plethora of media streaming apps that are available for iphones is a big part of it, makes it simple and easy for even the least tech savvy user.

There have been rumours (though no solid proof as yet) that ATT has made it easier for iphones to access the networks resources. I'm just stating that my personal experience with my TP2 and friend's iphones (in numerous locations) bears this out. It could also be a difference in devices, but I've had issues with all 4 TP2s that I've had in terms of slow network poor signal (and very laggy/slow device that sucks up ram)......

Overall, just stating that, if it were true ATT was choosing to give one device better/smoother access over another, than there's no reason why those like myself should have to pay the same price, regardless of how long said pricing plan has been around.

207 of 280 (1,230 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2010 1:09:20 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Mar 5, 2010 at 1:10:07 PM

Diagoro wrote:  "if it were true ATT was choosing to give one device better/smoother access over another, than there's no reason why those like myself should have to pay the same price, regardless of how long said pricing plan has been around. "

I agree with you there, Diagoro, but i dont think that ATT will do that. Theres no way they can put Iphone users on a different server with best reception, etc and the rest of us on a different environment with choking, sluggish ,etc for the same price .  If that IS the case, then ATT should be prepared for a lot of disatisfied customers and losing a lot of business.

Message Edited by RicoLX on 03-05-2010 01:10:07 PM

Diagoro wrote:  "if it were true ATT was choosing to give one device better/smoother access over another, than there's no reason why those like myself should have to pay the same price, regardless of how long said pricing plan has been around. "

I agree with you there, Diagoro, but i dont think that ATT will do that. Theres no way they can put Iphone users on a different server with best reception, etc and the rest of us on a different environment with choking, sluggish ,etc for the same price .  If that IS the case, then ATT should be prepared for a lot of disatisfied customers and losing a lot of business.

Message Edited by RicoLX on 03-05-2010 01:10:07 PM

[ Edited ]
208 of 280 (1,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2010 3:23:59 AM
(0)
Scholar

RicoLX wrote:

LOL...Now that's funny.  I love it when someone does the work for me.

RicoLX wrote:

LOL...Now that's funny.  I love it when someone does the work for me.

209 of 280 (1,184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2010 6:01:11 AM
(0)
Professor
barbwire, sorry about that.... but i joined ATT because of the unlimited pkg.  I will not let them MAKE me subscribe to anything otherwise.
barbwire, sorry about that.... but i joined ATT because of the unlimited pkg.  I will not let them MAKE me subscribe to anything otherwise.

210 of 280 (1,172 Views)