Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

Professor

Re: Data Plan Requirement starting in Sept.

barbwyr wrote:

brent_si wrote:
Im so frustrated at this point im about to go to verizon. I can't get anyone at att to give me a decent price on a tilt 2 when others have provided reciepts to prove they got a better deal. I also have a company discount and they don't car. Im so sick of all of the stuff att does.

Retail stores aren't required to price match because there are a vast number of reasons that others get better prices.  Your best bet is to call AT&T CS and ask them to price match but that doesn't mean they will.  After all, they are in the busniess to make money, so getting angry that they will not give you a deal like your friends is a waste of your nerves. 

Furthermore, most retails stores are not actually ATT corporate stores, but privately owned franchises.  They don't have access to the same pricing, and can't even price match if they wanted to.  Its a weird business model, but its true.   So to walk into one of these stores, and expect them to be able to price match something you heard of online, they just can't do it.

Message 181 of 280 (1,466 Views)
Scholar

My 8925 started messing up a few weeks ago with the screen turning white when you brought it out of standby and finally Thursday it wouldn't read my SD card anymore Smiley Sad  I called AT&T and told them that I wanted to replace my fone and I was eligible for an upgrade and I wanted the tilt 2 but I didn't want the new data plan I wanted to keep my 15/mo plan because I couldn't justify the extra cost of the new plan sense I can't get 3G where I live and what I'm getting now is slow as dial up so why should I pay 30/mo for the same slowass network? I was told that I had to have it if I wanted that fone.. If I didn't want the new plan I could get another fone and I was like "I want THIS fone I don't want another fone" I and I was told flat out too bad that the extra cost had nothing to do with the 3G network and if I didn't want to pay the extra 15/mo then I would hafta get a "dumb" fone. I was like I've been a customer for over 10 years and this is how I'm treated? I was told "I'm sorry but that is how it is" I told them it was BS..  I bought me another 8925 on e-bay to get me by for now, plus I'll give it to my Son when I get a new one 

I will get a new Tilt 2 and have come to the conclusion that I would come out cheaper over the course of my 2 yr contract buying the fone straight out anyway Smiley Tongue

Message 182 of 280 (1,087 Views)
Professor

03hdfatboy wrote:

My 8925 started messing up a few weeks ago with the screen turning white when you brought it out of standby and finally Thursday it wouldn't read my SD card anymore Smiley Sad  I called AT&T and told them that I wanted to replace my fone and I was eligible for an upgrade and I wanted the tilt 2 but I didn't want the new data plan I wanted to keep my 15/mo plan because I couldn't justify the extra cost of the new plan sense I can't get 3G where I live and what I'm getting now is slow as dial up so why should I pay 30/mo for the same slowass network? I was told that I had to have it if I wanted that fone.. If I didn't want the new plan I could get another fone and I was like "I want THIS fone I don't want another fone" I and I was told flat out too bad that the extra cost had nothing to do with the 3G network and if I didn't want to pay the extra 15/mo then I would hafta get a "dumb" fone. I was like I've been a customer for over 10 years and this is how I'm treated? I was told "I'm sorry but that is how it is" I told them it was BS..  I bought me another 8925 on e-bay to get me by for now, plus I'll give it to my Son when I get a new one 

I will get a new Tilt 2 and have come to the conclusion that I would come out cheaper over the course of my 2 yr contract buying the fone straight out anyway Smiley Tongue

That's the policy, and I don't see why ATT should give you special treatment just because you've been a customer for 10 years.  Lots of people don't like it, but yes, that's how it is.  All the other major carriers have similar policies now.  Violating policy for one customer just for reasons like loyalty is not good customer service.  Inconsistent enforcement of policies just leads to confusion, which is actually poor customer service.

Message 183 of 280 (1,054 Views)
Mentor

03hdfatboy wrote:

I have a feeling that I may be facing a similar situation soon.  My 8925 is over two years old and I know that some day it will probably die.  I have not tested the required data plan rule yet, but it sounds as though the grandfatherring only stays in effect for as long as you use your current PDA phone.  I would be curious to know if when you get another PDA phone (outside of AT&T), if they detect it and force a data plan on you.  If I were to buy a new Tilt 2 on E-Bay, would AT&T detect it as a different PDA phone and then automatically charge me for a data plan? 

Message 184 of 280 (1,054 Views)
Mentor

redpoint73 wrote:

03hdfatboy wrote:

That's the policy, and I don't see why ATT should give you special treatment just because you've been a customer for 10 years.  Lots of people don't like it, but yes, that's how it is.  All the other major carriers have similar policies now.  Violating policy for one customer just for reasons like loyalty is not good customer service.  Inconsistent enforcement of policies just leads to confusion, which is actually poor customer service.

I highly disagree.  Maintaining customer loyalty IS good customer service (at lest it used to be).  Unfortunately, that concept appears to be outdated in today's times.  Taking away customer choice does not promote good customer relations no matter what the other carriers are doing. 

Message 185 of 280 (1,051 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

redpoint73 wrote:

03hdfatboy wrote:

That's what's wrong with this country.. Nobody gives a { word filter evasion }  about people, loyalty or good customer service anymore.. "you don't like it..TUFF stuff!" .. that's why places like walmart has ruined small town business.
Message Edited by Caretaker on 03-01-2010 07:07:14 AM
Message 186 of 280 (1,046 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Actually, a lot of what is wrong with the country is that people feel entitled to special treatment for little or no reason, or that they have the write to circumvent the rules.  Things often run much more efficiently and predicatably when policies are enforced in a uniform way.  I can see ATT rewarding your loyalty by waiving a fee, or giving a one-time discount.  But IMO its unreasonable for you to expect them to violate an operational policy which has a long term impact on your month-to-month billing.  If they bend the rules for your since you've been a customer for 10 years, then how about the guy that has been a customer for 9 years.  Or 8 years?  They have to draw a line somewhere.

I agree that the policy is unfair to people that want to have a smartphone for use on WiFi networks.  Based on the response to this policy on this thread, there seem to be a fair number of people in that boat.  But I think your anger is slightly misplaced.  The policy should be changed.  Not enforcing the policy in a willy-nilly manner, and bending the rules in a non-uniform manner.

Message 187 of 280 (1,038 Views)
Professor

varnk wrote:

redpoint73 wrote:

03hdfatboy wrote:

I highly disagree.  Maintaining customer loyalty IS good customer service (at lest it used to be).  Unfortunately, that concept appears to be outdated in today's times.  Taking away customer choice does not promote good customer relations no matter what the other carriers are doing. 

As I mention in the post above, there are better ways to reward customer loyalty.  Inconsistant billing of data plan usage is not the right way to do it.

But yes, ATT and most cell carriers don't care about loyalty.  Losing a single customer doesn't seem to phase cell carriers much.  They would rather penalize you for leaving, rather rewarding you for staying.

Message 188 of 280 (1,036 Views)
Scholar

Don't get me wrong I'm NOT angry.. Just don't like the new policy. Like I said I'll just buy the fone straight out.. Makes more sense and cheaper in the long run.
Message 189 of 280 (1,019 Views)
Professor

I hear you.  You have a reason to complain about the policy, for sure (AND to be angry about it).  I just don't think the individual customer support employess have the latitude to sell you a phone without the data plan, even if they wanted to.
Message 190 of 280 (1,010 Views)
Scholar

From what I understand, ATT cannot differentiate between smartphones, but can between smartphones and regular phones. Therefore, if you're using a smartphone and stick your existing sim in another smartphone, there's no difference as far as they are concerned. It's when you buy a discounted phone from them, and sign a new agreement, is when the new data plan requirement kicks in.

I figure $30 a month for 10 months = $300--plenty of money to buy a nice phone off of ebay without a data plan. When my 8525 dies, that's what I plan on doing. 

Now....if the sim dies (which we had one do recently, although it wasn't on a smartphone) when they activate a new sim, will there be automatic data charges? I think signing a new contract is necessary to add a data plan, but I could be wrong.

Awwww......at my age, I don't need life to become more difficult.....too much thinking and figuring....

There's more info on the Palm/Treo forum on this topic as well.

Message 191 of 280 (1,363 Views)
Master

msiscrm wrote:

From what I understand, ATT cannot differentiate between smartphones, but can between smartphones and regular phones. Therefore, if you're using a smartphone and stick your existing sim in another smartphone, there's no difference as far as they are concerned. It's when you buy a discounted phone from them, and sign a new agreement, is when the new data plan requirement kicks in.

I figure $30 a month for 10 months = $300--plenty of money to buy a nice phone off of ebay without a data plan. When my 8525 dies, that's what I plan on doing. 

Now....if the sim dies (which we had one do recently, although it wasn't on a smartphone) when they activate a new sim, will there be automatic data charges? I think signing a new contract is necessary to add a data plan, but I could be wrong.

Awwww......at my age, I don't need life to become more difficult.....too much thinking and figuring....

ATT knows exactly which phone you're using, Smartphone or not, the second you power it on with an AT&T sim card as long as the phone is AT&T branded. I did a warranty exchange for my kid's BJ2 at AT&T device center. I immediately received a text message about need to add data plan with the replacement phone (from warrantye exchange). Of course, my kid's BJ2 bought before the mandatory date and hence doesn't need a data plan. I put a data block on the account anyway just to be sure.

So, to answer your question, the only way you can get away with it is buy a non-AT&T phone elsewhere. But with non-AT&T phones, you probably won't ever get 3G on it which may not concern you much as you don't use cell data connection anyway.

A new SIM card won't make you pay for data plan. It is the phone that matters.

Message 192 of 280 (1,353 Views)
Scholar

I think (I could be wrong) as long as you don't renew your contract you should be grandfathered in.
Message 193 of 280 (1,351 Views)
Scholar

msiscrm wrote:

Actually they can differentiate between them.  That's how their billing system knows which device is on your account to display on the OAM.  If you buy a 3rd party device that is NOT AT&T branded and has not been previously reported on the system then there is a chance it will not be recognized.  I have still not seen any anicdotal evidence to suggest they can and have seen several reports of people getting around the policy this way.

As for customer loyalty.  It's VERY poor customer service to violate an operational policy for one customer based on lengthy of service because others would not be entitled to the same privilage and the number who are nowbeing disserviced is much higher than the one who is being treated special.  Companies wave one time fees and credit overages all the time and that is GOOD customer service.

Finally, as to the new policy.  I don't like it myself because I really want a new phone, but can't afford the added cost of the data plan and I simply don't use it.  However, I can understand why they do it and they have every right to do it.  It's not UNFAIR to us that they do it, it's simply a fact of life in the service and if we don't like it we just have to find another phone, service or provider.  I am facing a similar issue with my cable provider.  Cable companies do not charge for HD tv I believe for legal reasons, but even though they can not charge and even advertise it as free....the box required to get it costs $2 more than the older non HD box.  This WOULD be unfair except that the new HD box is the only box available to customers.  I learned this when replacing my living room box to get HD and my bedroom box because it was having trouble recording.  My daughter still has the old box which is $2 less, but if I ever replace that box my cost will go up $2.  Of course, in general I have to pay $8 for the box to get channels above 99 or something like that, and if I don't want to pay for it, I simply don't get the extra channels, very similar to the data fees.   Just because your device has a feature does not mean they have to include it in their basic service.

Message 194 of 280 (1,348 Views)
Professor

msiscrm wrote:

This topic has been under debate on these forums.  ATT can read the IMEI number off your phone easily.  They know if your IMEI number changes, and that the phone is different.  If its an ATT phone, they can tell what make/model it is.   What has been under debate, is whether they can tell the make/model of non-ATT IMEI numbers.  

http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=medianet&thread.id=14333

msiscrm wrote:

Data plans can be added or removed as often as you like (except for iPhone).  It has nothing to do with renewing the contract.

Message 195 of 280 (1,347 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.