Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 6, 2011
11:36:32 PM
View profile
Data Phones?

Hello, I was wondering what phone would be the best phone i can get and still use the $50 monthly unlimited (including data) plan? i was told i can use the htc freestyle since it is not actually a smartphone....all in all i am really curious (out of all the phones available) which would be the best with the above plan.

Hello, I was wondering what phone would be the best phone i can get and still use the $50 monthly unlimited (including data) plan? i was told i can use the htc freestyle since it is not actually a smartphone....all in all i am really curious (out of all the phones available) which would be the best with the above plan.

Data Phones?

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 4:52:41 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Sep 7, 2011 at 5:05:23 AM

Tosborn wrote:

Hello Toshborn.

Excellent question.  My finding has been that AT&T determines "smartphone class" solely by the native operating system of the phone:

1. It is a Smartphone if and only if it runs under {Android, iOS, Blackberry, Microsoft Mobile 7}
  2. If is not Smartphone otherwise.

Yes, the HTC Freestyle is not a Smartphone because it runs "Brew Mobile Platform".

NOTES:

1. The operating system on a specific offering can be found authoritatively on http://developer.att.com/  by using its search tool and keying the name of phone in question  (Try with HTC Freestyle, for example).  This OS information is found missing under details for some of the phones on the AT&T phone market.
  2. Another, but more indirect way, is to check if the phone is listed with the PDA/Smartphone mark "ON" on the AT&T phone market.

Finally, there are a number of Samsung phones that are "smartphones" as defined by the AT&T developers, but run under a proprietary operating system, so they are not considered smartphones by AT&T, and will be able to use the unlimited $50-month talk/text/data plan without restrictions.

Hope that helps.

P.S.:  To learn about my findings, please refer to my earlier posting at: http://forums.att.com/t5/Prepaid/Lesson-Learned-When-is-a-Phone-a-Smartphone-under-PrePaid/m-p/28438...

Tosborn wrote:

Hello Toshborn.

Excellent question.  My finding has been that AT&T determines "smartphone class" solely by the native operating system of the phone:

1. It is a Smartphone if and only if it runs under {Android, iOS, Blackberry, Microsoft Mobile 7}
  2. If is not Smartphone otherwise.

Yes, the HTC Freestyle is not a Smartphone because it runs "Brew Mobile Platform".

NOTES:

1. The operating system on a specific offering can be found authoritatively on http://developer.att.com/  by using its search tool and keying the name of phone in question  (Try with HTC Freestyle, for example).  This OS information is found missing under details for some of the phones on the AT&T phone market.
  2. Another, but more indirect way, is to check if the phone is listed with the PDA/Smartphone mark "ON" on the AT&T phone market.

Finally, there are a number of Samsung phones that are "smartphones" as defined by the AT&T developers, but run under a proprietary operating system, so they are not considered smartphones by AT&T, and will be able to use the unlimited $50-month talk/text/data plan without restrictions.

Hope that helps.

P.S.:  To learn about my findings, please refer to my earlier posting at: http://forums.att.com/t5/Prepaid/Lesson-Learned-When-is-a-Phone-a-Smartphone-under-PrePaid/m-p/2843893

Re: Data Phones?

[ Edited ]
2 of 9 (590 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 9:21:20 AM
(0)
Scholar

Note that the following Samsung phones: Samsung Strive, Samsung Solistice II, Samsung Eternity II, and Samsung Flight all have proprietary OSes and all are not smartphones for the purpose of the extra-cost data feature plans.

So all four can be used under the $50 unlimited talk/text/data prepaid plan.  But the availability of such phones (quasi-smart with proprietary OSes) is dwindling fast as most manufacturers are climbing to the Android bandwagon (with WM7 showing corporate commitment by Nokia).

This says that very soon, if this smartphone distinction continues under AT&T prepaid (note that T-Mobile does not bother with such distinction), only dumb phones will remain "unlimited".

Note that the following Samsung phones: Samsung Strive, Samsung Solistice II, Samsung Eternity II, and Samsung Flight all have proprietary OSes and all are not smartphones for the purpose of the extra-cost data feature plans.

So all four can be used under the $50 unlimited talk/text/data prepaid plan.  But the availability of such phones (quasi-smart with proprietary OSes) is dwindling fast as most manufacturers are climbing to the Android bandwagon (with WM7 showing corporate commitment by Nokia).

This says that very soon, if this smartphone distinction continues under AT&T prepaid (note that T-Mobile does not bother with such distinction), only dumb phones will remain "unlimited".

3 of 9 (572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 9:32:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

So what about any other phones that do not have as many bugs and glitches as the samsung strive or the htc freestyle?

So what about any other phones that do not have as many bugs and glitches as the samsung strive or the htc freestyle?

4 of 9 (568 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 9:44:34 AM
(0)
Scholar

Ahhhh!  That is the 64k question.  [I use the iPhone 3G as a GoPhone.]

I cannot speak to the quality of those phones.

Read the comments and reviews by actual owners of each of these, and decide, if they are worth the trouble.  But there is valid concern, as these proprietary OSes are really "dead", likely without any further support, as the "big" phone OEMs (Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, even LG) have moved to porting "smart" operating systems on their hardware.

What is left as "unlimited" are the new-but-old style flip- and puck-phones for talk and texting, and very occasional web access via MediaNet.

Ahhhh!  That is the 64k question.  [I use the iPhone 3G as a GoPhone.]

I cannot speak to the quality of those phones.

Read the comments and reviews by actual owners of each of these, and decide, if they are worth the trouble.  But there is valid concern, as these proprietary OSes are really "dead", likely without any further support, as the "big" phone OEMs (Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, even LG) have moved to porting "smart" operating systems on their hardware.

What is left as "unlimited" are the new-but-old style flip- and puck-phones for talk and texting, and very occasional web access via MediaNet.

5 of 9 (565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 10:06:07 AM
(0)
Tutor

I can use the ( Iphone 3g ) for the $50 unlimited plan?

6 of 9 (560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 11:04:24 AM
(0)
Scholar

Tosborn wrote:

No you cannot Tosborn.  It is a smartphone like any other smartphone.  Mine is carrier locked to AT&T.

Maybe you should look elsewhere for smartphone support under prepaid.  I understand your dilemma.

I would look at T-Mobile.  There is a $50-month unlimited talk/text with 100MB data under 4G (2G afterwards, with no overages).  Not unlimited 4G but good-engouh for the first 100MB-month.

I understand your reticence to commit to these pseudo-smart phones.  I would too!  But you are struggling with this, and there is that option.

Hope that helps.

Tosborn wrote:

No you cannot Tosborn.  It is a smartphone like any other smartphone.  Mine is carrier locked to AT&T.

Maybe you should look elsewhere for smartphone support under prepaid.  I understand your dilemma.

I would look at T-Mobile.  There is a $50-month unlimited talk/text with 100MB data under 4G (2G afterwards, with no overages).  Not unlimited 4G but good-engouh for the first 100MB-month.

I understand your reticence to commit to these pseudo-smart phones.  I would too!  But you are struggling with this, and there is that option.

Hope that helps.

7 of 9 (556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 5:20:36 PM
(0)
Master

Tosborn wrote:

You can if you really want to, but with it being a smartphone, you will not get unlimited data under the $50 Unlimited plan. You would have to purchase a separate data package.

If you would like to at least give the Freestyle a try, that's absolutely fine. But chances are, you're going to have some sort of problem(s) with it. Anything from messages being duplicated three, four, five, six, seven times, not coming in at all, random shutdowns and freezing. Those are a few issues I've heard and read about the phone.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Tosborn wrote:

You can if you really want to, but with it being a smartphone, you will not get unlimited data under the $50 Unlimited plan. You would have to purchase a separate data package.

If you would like to at least give the Freestyle a try, that's absolutely fine. But chances are, you're going to have some sort of problem(s) with it. Anything from messages being duplicated three, four, five, six, seven times, not coming in at all, random shutdowns and freezing. Those are a few issues I've heard and read about the phone.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

8 of 9 (533 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2011 8:01:50 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Sep 8, 2011 at 8:07:54 AM

Let me add (possibly) final closure to this discussion:  the iPhone as a GoPhone is frowned-upon by unpublished, internal policy from AT&T.  Activation of the iPhone 3G, 3Gs, and 4 as prepaid requires "special handling".  I will say no more, other than it is not automatic.

I know nothing about the iPhone 2G.  My guess, and this is only my guess, AT&T prepaid classifies "smart" by operating system, and will treat the iPhone 2G as a smartphone due to its Apple-specific IMEI (The eight leading digits of the IMEI will identify the Apple OEM.)  But that is just a guess.  I may be wrong, and if so, I stand corrected -- no big deal.

You want an unlimited, HTML-speaking phone.  You made that perfectly clear.

As an aside, Wild Banchi is absolutely correct, you do not need to add data feature plans to a smartphone, but you are limited then to cellular-based texting and talking, with WiFi-only data:  no GPS, no real-time map directions, no email , no web access on the outdoors.

A variant to this is to purchase a monthly cellular data feature package, which is not unlimited, but to manually turn-on cellular data only when outside WiFi cover (to void using cellualr data bandwidth).  And that is absolutely proper, but your phone must provide such a soft switch.  (I do the same with my iPhone.)

But in your case, as I understand, you want unbridled access to cellular data, running a modern-day OS (that is not effectively  "dead"), then I would suggest you look elsewhere where only high-speed thresholds are imposed to smartphones when using data (4G limits to a monthly threshold, 2G service thereafter).

But that is just me.  Good luck.

Let me add (possibly) final closure to this discussion:  the iPhone as a GoPhone is frowned-upon by unpublished, internal policy from AT&T.  Activation of the iPhone 3G, 3Gs, and 4 as prepaid requires "special handling".  I will say no more, other than it is not automatic.

I know nothing about the iPhone 2G.  My guess, and this is only my guess, AT&T prepaid classifies "smart" by operating system, and will treat the iPhone 2G as a smartphone due to its Apple-specific IMEI (The eight leading digits of the IMEI will identify the Apple OEM.)  But that is just a guess.  I may be wrong, and if so, I stand corrected -- no big deal.

You want an unlimited, HTML-speaking phone.  You made that perfectly clear.

As an aside, Wild Banchi is absolutely correct, you do not need to add data feature plans to a smartphone, but you are limited then to cellular-based texting and talking, with WiFi-only data:  no GPS, no real-time map directions, no email , no web access on the outdoors.

A variant to this is to purchase a monthly cellular data feature package, which is not unlimited, but to manually turn-on cellular data only when outside WiFi cover (to void using cellualr data bandwidth).  And that is absolutely proper, but your phone must provide such a soft switch.  (I do the same with my iPhone.)

But in your case, as I understand, you want unbridled access to cellular data, running a modern-day OS (that is not effectively  "dead"), then I would suggest you look elsewhere where only high-speed thresholds are imposed to smartphones when using data (4G limits to a monthly threshold, 2G service thereafter).

But that is just me.  Good luck.

[ Edited ]
9 of 9 (522 Views)