Posted Dec 17, 2009
3:37:35 PM
Data Pay Per Use

I have the family Plan with 1400 anytime minutes+ 80 dollars a month( we don't use all the minutes so im not sure if i want to change it.to less minutes.Better safe then sorry right?) I also have equip ment insurance plan and roadside assistance I have Family MSG unlimited

so my question is The unlimited MSG just for ATT people like to text just att people? So if i text someone other then ATT how much is that? Is that the Data Pay Per Use Thing (EX Data access for one month was 4,955 total of 49.55) but my family unlimited MSG was  0.00 How can i get this changed I really like ATT but im NOT happy about this BIG bill i have  :smileysad:

Data Pay Per Use

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2009 6:42:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Dec 17, 2009 at 6:54:31 PM

Unlimited Messaging includes all messages sent to ANYONE on any network except International. So if you have friends that use Verizon or any other network, feel free to text them all you want.

Your Unlimited Messaging Plan also includes IM, provided you use one of the PREINSTALLED IM clients on your phone. However, if you access IM through the MEdia Net page OR a 3rd party, you WILL incur data charges.

Unlimited Family Messaging

What is Data Pay Per Use?

Did anyone on your plan download ringtones/graphics/games or access the internet at all??? That could be what your data charges are for.

How could I have used so much data?

Message Edited by Dcookie on 12-17-2009 06:54:31 PM

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Data Pay Per Use

[ Edited ]
2 of 12 (6,285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2009 7:26:16 AM
(0)
Tutor

ok so text anyone thats ok no charge but the data useage charge is the media net?

so if i click on that it charges me? Even if i dont do anything.Sometimes like if its my purse it will hit a wrong button and when i take it out it will be on the media net page or the media mail? is it chargeing me then?

Also the other phone had ATT navigator does that charge each time you use it

3 of 12 (6,263 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2009 10:12:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

My answers in red.

lb161987 wrote:

ok so text anyone thats ok no charge but the data useage charge is the media net?

Yes...text anyone you want. The data charge would be for using MEdia Net.

so if i click on that it charges me? Even if i dont do anything.Sometimes like if its my purse it will hit a wrong button and when i take it out it will be on the media net page or the media mail? is it chargeing me then?

MOST DEFINITELY!!!! Anytime that MEdia Net button is pressed even if you don't do anything on it, you WILL be charged. So if it is in your purse and accesses MEdia Net, you get charged. Whenever you access MEdia Net, you will see a globe icon. When you se that Globe icon, you are being charged.

Also the other phone had ATT navigator does that charge each time you use it

I believe it would charge data to use that..not sure. It's on my phone too but haven't tried it yet. If I'm wrong, I;m sure someone will correct me.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 12 (6,249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2009 2:14:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

ok thanks..that really sucks but thanks for the help soo  i prob need to change  the  pay per use data changed to the $2 per megabyte option somebody said it was like 10 bucks buts thats better then 45 and over!Thanks

5 of 12 (6,232 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2009 4:34:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Dec 18, 2009 at 4:36:39 PM

lb161987 wrote:

ok thanks..that really sucks but thanks for the help soo  i prob need to change  the  pay per use data changed to the $2 per megabyte option somebody said it was like 10 bucks buts thats better then 45 and over!Thanks

Yes...I think the $2.00 plan would be better for you since you have a habit of accessing MEdia Net by accident. You're welcome. :smileyhappy:

The $10/mo Media Net would be called Family Unlimited Data Plan. IF you are on a Family Talk Plan and have an Unlimited Family Messaging Plan AND have a DUMBPHONE,, you COULD get the Unlimited Family Data Plan for your phone for $10/mo. You HAVE to meet the above 3 requirements in order to get the reduced rate of $10/mo...(it is normally $15/mo). It is also NOT shared...each phoneis added separately (the name is very deceiving). That is what you heard about it being $10.

Message Edited by Dcookie on 12-18-2009 04:36:39 PM

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

[ Edited ]
6 of 12 (6,224 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2010 12:54:27 PM
(0)
Contributor

Seriously!?!? You're telling her to get a plan because she has a "bad habit"??? How about AT&T's bad habit of charging for nothing. They put the MEdiaNet button LARGE, right in the middle of the phone and won't let you disable or reassign it. Then they charge you every time it accidentally gets touched. That smells A LOT like fraud. They know it, so they give you a credit pretty readily, but who has time to call every month about a FRAUDULENT charge of like $6? They're hoping very few people.

7 of 12 (4,405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2010 3:44:37 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by UNSC_REACH on Dec 22, 2010 at 3:45:47 PM

skeptical wrote:

Seriously!?!? You're telling her to get a plan because she has a "bad habit"??? How about AT&T's bad habit of charging for nothing. They put the MEdiaNet button LARGE, right in the middle of the phone and won't let you disable or reassign it. Then they charge you every time it accidentally gets touched. That smells A LOT like fraud. They know it, so they give you a credit pretty readily, but who has time to call every month about a FRAUDULENT charge of like $6? They're hoping very few people.

There is absolutely no way you could get a pay per use charge that high, on one line, for data if it was just "accidental usage".

There are two data pay per use plans: $1/MB or $0.01/KB. Lets assume that every accidental push of the MediaNet button costs you 3KB - you let it load then you close it.

$1/MB, you would have had to hit the button somewhere between 1500 to 2000 times in one month. For those of you playing at home: (1MB = 1000/1024 KB, so 6000/3=2000).

$0.01/KB, you would have had to hit the button about 200 times. ( (200*3)=(600*0.01)=$6)

And most people are on the $1/MB plan. I don't see how you could get that much in accidental charges, unless you were using the data for other things.

[ Edited ]
8 of 12 (4,398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2010 1:17:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

Actually, the average accidental use is around 30kB.  This is the amount of data you get charged for in the time it takes you to hit the button (or one of many icons) that takes you to mediaNet, realize what happened, and hit cancel.

If  you have 3 lines, then it's easy to get charged $6/month for 90kB of data usage.  (That's $66,666.67 per GB for those of you playing at home!) 

9 of 12 (4,358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2010 11:57:16 AM
(0)
Professor

seajohn wrote:

Actually, the average accidental use is around 30kB.  This is the amount of data you get charged for in the time it takes you to hit the button (or one of many icons) that takes you to mediaNet, realize what happened, and hit cancel.

If  you have 3 lines, then it's easy to get charged $6/month for 90kB of data usage.  (That's $66,666.67 per GB for those of you playing at home!) 

seajohn that doesn't even make sense. And, if someone knew they were charged when they hit the button, and hit it all the time on accident, why would they wait for the page to load before hitting the exit or hang-up button? Doesn't make any sense to me. If your waiting for it to load, then you deserve the charges in my opinion.

10 of 12 (4,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2010 8:43:33 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by seajohn on Dec 27, 2010 at 8:49:21 AM

There is no waiting for the page to load.  Here's an example sequence:

- Aim for the Messaging app icon, but instead fat-finger and hit the facebook icon

- Oops

- Hit cancel button

Total time, maybe 1 second.  Average data usage for this type of occurance, around 30kB.

If this happens once on all 3 lines of our family, then that's a $2 charge/line for a total of $6.

So, no, we aren't waiting for the page to load.

[ Edited ]
11 of 12 (2,441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2011 5:45:26 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Glomag on Feb 14, 2011 at 6:02:45 AM

It charges no matter what. The threshold is supposed to be $2 for 1MB. I routinely see $2 charges for usage of 1KB. This is a SCAM, plain and simple. Verizon was forced to change their ways by the FCC.  {Info Edited}

**Mod Note**Per Forum Guidelines, the Community Forum is not a venue for discussion of legal matters; therefore, no such discussions are permitted. Thank you.

[ Edited ]
12 of 12 (2,337 Views)