Data Charges while on Wi-Fi

Contributor

Data Charges while on Wi-Fi

I would like to know what I can do about being charged for data usage while I am on Wi-Fi.  I have Wi-Fi at home, but every day, my bill shows data usage at times when I know I am at home.  In the beginning, the usage was showing up between 11:30 p.m. and midnight.  And usually it is not just a small amount.  The last one I noticed was for over 20,000 kb.  I was told that the Smartphones update everyday (I have an iPhone 3GS), and that wouldn't be so bad, if it was just a small amount.  But last month, I was charged an extra $15 for going over my Data Plan.  I have the 200MB plan.  AT&T did remove the extra charge when I explained to them that the majority of the usage shown on my bill was at times when I knew I was at home, and in the case of the late night usage, I was actually in bed asleep.  I live alone, so I know no one else was using my phone.  I tried turning off the Cellular Data option under Settings while I was at home.  But now the usage is showing up in the morning when I turn it back on while I am still at home, but before I go to work.  Can someone please help me.  This has gotten me to be afraid of even using my phone at all for fear of going over my Plan again because of the usage that is going against me while I am connected to my Wi-Fi network.  And, yes, my phone is showing that I am connected to Wi-Fi when I am at home.

Message 1 of 30 (5,945 Views)
Employee

Re: Data Charges while on Wi-Fi

first, when the screen is off wifi turns off and reverts to the mobile network.
second, usage is collected all day and reported in one chunk. so 20MB of usage posted at midnight means you used 20MB since the last report.
all usage is correct, there isn't no error in this. you might need a bigger data package for your usage.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 30 (5,929 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for your reply, but now that brings up another question.....if usage is collected all day and reported in one chunk, then why are there multiple usage charges per day instead of just one charge?  Also, I have been searching other posts, and one said that after 15 minutes on battery, wi-fi is dropped and reverts back to 3G.  If this is true, does this mean that I have to either turn Cellular Data off, or stay plugged into an electrical outlet?  If in an AT&T hotspot (such as McDonald's), is wi-fi dropped after 15 minutes?  Can one be on wi-fi for ten minutes, idle for a while, back on wi-fi for another 10 minutes, and so on and so on, or is it dropped 15 minutes after I walk in my front door regardless?  Sorry, I don't mean to be asking what some might consider to be stupid questions.  I'm just trying to fully understand, because evidently what I thought I knew, is not the way it is!

Message 3 of 30 (5,923 Views)
Employee

wifi turns off if not actively using the phone. you can disable the mobile network. the reports aren't always once a day, if you reboot your phone it will usually also generate a report.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 30 (5,907 Views)
Mentor

Same question here...

I recently upgraded to a Windows Phone (Samsung Focus) and enjoyed using it for about two weeks. I woke up last Thursday morning to a SMS message from AT&T that I had gone over my data. I have been on WiFi since I got the phone and can prove it from my bill--usage had not changed.

I called AT&T and the rep explained that I indeed did not get a "warning SMS," only got the "you've gone over" SMS which was peculiar. I didn't know if it was a problem with the phone or with AT&T--the rep suggested returning the phone as it could be an issue with the phone. (As an anecdote, I've had no other issues with the phone)

I returned the phone on Friday and went back to my regular phone. I plan on upgrading again in the future but have reservations as no-one at AT&T can answer some specific questions regarding data usage. I've had no other issues with AT&T, customer service has been bend-over-backwards helpful and empathetic.

a) Why is all data labeled as "sent," and how can I disseminate between data that was sent FROM the handset vs. TO the handset (downloaded)?

b) There does not appear to be an odometer on Windows Phone to calculate data usage. How can I be sure that the data is being accurately counted?  (same thing happened on my wife's iPhone several months ago, she was billed for 3X the amount of data that her phone counted as much less...)

Here is a screenshot from my bill showing the leap in data usage.  At 9:07PM, my phone was on it's charger and I was asleep so it was not actively being used.

Message 5 of 30 (5,878 Views)
Employee

data is always listed as sent as its always requested by user or the users choice in apps
Employee Contributor*
Message 6 of 30 (5,863 Views)
Mentor

Is it data that is sent from, or received by the handset?  There is no differentiation between the two on the ATT site.

Message 7 of 30 (5,857 Views)
Employee

it simply doesn't.
Employee Contributor*
Message 8 of 30 (5,845 Views)
Mentor

Ok--then I take particular issue with how AT&T is counting data, and it will certainly factor into whether I remain a customer or not.

If AT&T cannot disseminate between what data is being sent or received from the handset, then how can they obtain an accurate count of exactly what data is being used. There is no accurate count if there is no transparency in how the count is being obtained. They might as well say that MB count for data is arbitrary and leave it at that since they are not giving accurate information on their website.

The more I have looked into this, the less and less I like what I am hearing. After nearly 3 years with AT&T, I think i will move my family onto another carrier when our contract is up.

Message 9 of 30 (5,841 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

This is a huge problem. I've been complaining to AT&T about this for months. You get different stories depending on who you talk to, but basically yes, about 40-50MB of data on my plan is simply for updates. They always occur around 2-3 am. I know I'm home, sleeping and at home am always on WI-fi.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Message 10 of 30 (5,836 Views)
Employee

the systems sends a report of all data used since its last report and usually does so in the middle of the night. doesn't mean data was used at that time
Employee Contributor*
Message 11 of 30 (5,311 Views)
Mentor

Thank you for the information.  However, I fail to see the sense in that tactic of data counting, furthermore, there is no transparency in how AT&T is counting the data, where it is coming from, when it is being used, etc.

If a time/date stamp is going to be listed, it should be the time when the data was accessed.

If a MB count of data is going to be listed, it should be the amount that was used at that particular date/time.

If it is listed as "sent," it should be designated as data sent "from" or "to" the phone. Otherwise, remove the "sent" label altogether and use "total data" instead.

I challenge someone from AT&T to tell me how their method of data counting is "customer friendly" or "focused."

Message 12 of 30 (5,304 Views)
Employee

sent from the phone would mean uploading a picture, video or music or game data like scores. other than that everything is sent to the device.
Employee Contributor*
Message 13 of 30 (5,293 Views)
Scholar

I've got verizon and data reports the same way. At least At&t lets you track everything.

Message 14 of 30 (5,278 Views)
Highlighted
Voyager

Have you tried on Win Phone 7 -

Settings/Phone Update: CHECK the "Notify me when new updates are found.".  UNCHECK the "Use my celluar data connection to check for updates" option.

Message 15 of 30 (5,265 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support