Data Change

Teacher

Data Change

Im a new customer using my mom's name. When I preordered the 4s I added 2GB Data and unlimited texting. My bill was around $230 due to prorated bill. It is now saying that I have 4GB and unlimited texting. I did not change my data and my mom says that she didn't either. Can someone explain what's happening? When I call *data# it says:
Next Bill Cycle: 12/11/2011
Data (MB): 70.8 of 4096
Data (MB): 1286.5 of 2048 (Deactivated)
Messaging: 4090 of Unlimited
Messaging: 198 of Unlimited (Deactivated)
Visit us online at www.att.com/DataPlans
Message 1 of 15 (423 Views)
Expert

Re: Data Change

mickoo wrote:
Im a new customer using my mom's name. When I preordered the 4s I added 2GB Data and unlimited texting. My bill was around $230 due to prorated bill. It is now saying that I have 4GB and unlimited texting. I did not change my data and my mom says that she didn't either. Can someone explain what's happening? When I call *data# it says:

Did you happen to tether your phone to a laptop or something else? the 4gb plan is the one that allows tethering, the carrier will automaticly sswitch you to that if they detect tethering

Message 2 of 15 (421 Views)
ACE - Master

wingrider01 wrote:

mickoo wrote:

Did you happen to tether your phone to a laptop or something else? the 4gb plan is the one that allows tethering, the carrier will automaticly sswitch you to that if they detect tethering

I wonder if the OP got hold of the iTethering app before the Apple store pulled it? Because unless the phone was jailbroken, tethering normally will not work unless the 4GB tethering plan is in effect. If  you attempt to set up tethering/personal hotspot, it won't let you unless you already have the correct plan.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 15 (409 Views)
Teacher

Well actually this morning I noticed that "Personal Hotspot" showed up in my Settings. I didnt add or try tethering though.

Message 4 of 15 (399 Views)
Teacher

This is what im seein online. Im thinking that the two data plans are added together? I dont know...

Message 5 of 15 (391 Views)
Expert

mickoo wrote:

Well actually this morning I noticed that "Personal Hotspot" showed up in my Settings. I didnt add or try tethering though.

If you turned on personal hotspot that is tethering.

Message 6 of 15 (374 Views)
Guru

Yeah that's probably what happened; I can only guess that whatever system is used to compose the info that is sent out to you via text message doesn't exactly work in sync with what is shown in OLAM.  Gotta love the folks who automatically assumed that OP probably was tethering as the only explanation as to why the info given to OP via SMS apparently showed a 4 GB data plan...as if there couldn't possibly be any other explanation for why the user saw what he did in his SMS message. Smiley Surprised

Message 7 of 15 (359 Views)
Guru

wingrider01 wrote:

mickoo wrote:

I assume that was more of an informational comment rather than insinuating that OP may have (inadvertantly) turned on Personal Hotspot--thus incurring the tethering charge/change of data plan, which would then explain the info OP saw in his text message--since OP had indicated that he didn't add or try tethering, nor hed he explicitly indicated that he turned it on upon discovering it in Settings. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 15 (357 Views)
Expert

tonester wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

mickoo wrote:

I assume that was more of an informational comment rather than insinuating that OP may have (inadvertantly) turned on Personal Hotspot--thus incurring the tethering charge/change of data plan, which would then explain the info OP saw in his text message--since OP had indicated that he didn't add or try tethering, nor hed he explicitly indicated that he turned it on upon discovering it in Settings. Smiley Wink

why are you assuming that I am insinuating that? It was a simple response to a question that was asked about personal hotspot, have seen it acciendlty turned on by people that do not unserstand exactly what it means - intentional maybe, maybe not, invesitgational? - possible.

A question was aked, a possible explination was given 

Message 9 of 15 (333 Views)
Scholar

mickoo wrote:

This is what im seein online. Im thinking that the two data plans are added together? I dont know...

Just looks like 2 months of billing to me.... the dates say 10/12-11/10 and 11/11-12/10

Not 4GB, but 2GB for each month

Message 10 of 15 (324 Views)
Expert

hinzy wrote:

mickoo wrote:

Just looks like 2 months of billing to me.... the dates say 10/12-11/10 and 11/11-12/10

good catch, missed that, 1st line is probably the prorated 2GB plan and the second is the month in advance.

Missed that one completely

Message 11 of 15 (267 Views)
ACE - Master

hinzy wrote:

mickoo wrote:

OP must have made a change/add to the data plan sometime during the 10/12-11/10 billing cycle and back dated it to 10/12. Hence the charge for the past bill cycle plus the current bill cycle. Next bill cycle, there will only be one data charge. That still does not explain why the call to DATA# returned results that showed they had 4GB of data. That is not accurate. Data does not rollover, anything not used at the end of a billing cycle goes away. I suspect some sort of bug with whatever system responds to the DATA# call.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 15 (257 Views)
Guru

wingrider01 wrote:

tonester wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

mickoo wrote:

why are you assuming that I am insinuating that? It was a simple response to a question that was asked about personal hotspot, have seen it acciendlty turned on by people that do not unserstand exactly what it means - intentional maybe, maybe not, invesitgational? - possible.

Well I guess perhaps if OP was willing to post a screenshot of his next month's OLAM activity, then I guess we'd know for sure if he may have accidentally turned it on; I mean, I guess OP's initial screenshot showing the prorated data charge for both billing cycles--which I don't quite understand how you could have missed it completely as you claimed, given that your "personal hotspot" post appeared right below it--apparently wasn't enough to convince you that the charge OP had questions about may not have been due to some kind of tethering act. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 15 (238 Views)

tonester wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

tonester wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

mickoo wrote:

Well I guess perhaps if OP was willing to post a screenshot of his next month's OLAM activity, then I guess we'd know for sure if he may have accidentally turned it on; I mean, I guess OP's initial screenshot showing the prorated data charge for both billing cycles--which I don't quite understand how you could have missed it completely as you claimed, given that your "personal hotspot" post appeared right below it--apparently wasn't enough to convince you that the charge OP had questions about may not have been due to some kind of tethering act. Smiley Wink

Well, it is likely due to the OPs claim that he now had a 4GB plan, which is the tethering plan.  As it turns out from the screenshot he in fact isn't on the 4GB plan, he just had just short of two months worth of the 2GB plan on his bill.

Message 14 of 15 (235 Views)
Guru

archermoo wrote:

tonester wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

tonester wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

mickoo wrote:

Well, it is likely due to the OPs claim that he now had a 4GB plan, which is the tethering plan.  As it turns out from the screenshot he in fact isn't on the 4GB plan, he just had just short of two months worth of the 2GB plan on his bill.

Granted I'm now talking semantics, but OP didn't really claim that he had a 4 GB plan but rather, looking for an explanation as to why the text message he received contained information which gave the appearance that he was on a 4 GB plan. Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 15 (218 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.