Posted Mar 24, 2012
9:31:08 AM
View profile
DR DRE Beats Headset for HTC Vivid

I just received the AT&T version of Dr. Dre headset URBEATS as a gift for my HTC Vivid which is now upgraded to Android ICS (4.06). This looks exactly like the iBeats except for the mic/control. 

The actual headset works great from a sound quality. It compares to my Shure headset that I have been using fro a couple of years. Unfortunately most of these stock or android wired headsets (with mic) have very limited controls, unlike the iPhone headsets which control everything music. I was hoping that we would get some of that with this special version for HTC. What we got in addition to the typical 1 button functions from existing headsets was FF/rev and pause. No volume control, so you need to use the phone to control the volume. A very big disappointment if you us an armband or put your handset into a backpack. While you are riding a bike or jogging, this ability is an absolute must!

Another missing feature in this relationship with Monster (Dr. Dre's parent company), is that, Dr Dre's software on the Vivid does not work with Bluetooth headsets (stays greyed out). I have been using Acoustic's Research's BT because it provides volume control, FF, pause, answer, mute and all phone controls including voice dialing.

Outcome, AT&T Your product managers need to do a little homework before the next release of Dr. Dre's  headsets  or software

I just received the AT&T version of Dr. Dre headset URBEATS as a gift for my HTC Vivid which is now upgraded to Android ICS (4.06). This looks exactly like the iBeats except for the mic/control. 

The actual headset works great from a sound quality. It compares to my Shure headset that I have been using fro a couple of years. Unfortunately most of these stock or android wired headsets (with mic) have very limited controls, unlike the iPhone headsets which control everything music. I was hoping that we would get some of that with this special version for HTC. What we got in addition to the typical 1 button functions from existing headsets was FF/rev and pause. No volume control, so you need to use the phone to control the volume. A very big disappointment if you us an armband or put your handset into a backpack. While you are riding a bike or jogging, this ability is an absolute must!

Another missing feature in this relationship with Monster (Dr. Dre's parent company), is that, Dr Dre's software on the Vivid does not work with Bluetooth headsets (stays greyed out). I have been using Acoustic's Research's BT because it provides volume control, FF, pause, answer, mute and all phone controls including voice dialing.

Outcome, AT&T Your product managers need to do a little homework before the next release of Dr. Dre's  headsets  or software

Vivid

DR DRE Beats Headset for HTC Vivid

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2012 4:38:04 PM
(0)
Scholar
I havent exactly discovered what the BeatsAudio does.

Re: DR DRE Beats Headset for HTC Vivid

2 of 6 (2,403 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2012 6:53:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

htc-davis wrote:

The software side of Beats Audio incorporated into more recent HTC firmware is meant to enhance music played on the device.   Its essentially just a preset equalizer curve with lots of bass boost and a bit of compression.  Not sure how its been implemented on the Vivid ICS update, but sometimes the Beats function only works on wired headset, and not the speaker, may or may not work on Bluetooth output (a screen popup may tell you if it only functions with wired headsets, and none are connected).

Plenty of people seem to like Beats.  But just as a personal preference, I do not.  The effect is too bass heavy, and often does not sound good with some music genres and some headsets or speakers.  Beats to me is more a marketing gimmick than a legitimate sound improvement.  I prefer an EQ that is more configurable.

htc-davis wrote:

The software side of Beats Audio incorporated into more recent HTC firmware is meant to enhance music played on the device.   Its essentially just a preset equalizer curve with lots of bass boost and a bit of compression.  Not sure how its been implemented on the Vivid ICS update, but sometimes the Beats function only works on wired headset, and not the speaker, may or may not work on Bluetooth output (a screen popup may tell you if it only functions with wired headsets, and none are connected).

Plenty of people seem to like Beats.  But just as a personal preference, I do not.  The effect is too bass heavy, and often does not sound good with some music genres and some headsets or speakers.  Beats to me is more a marketing gimmick than a legitimate sound improvement.  I prefer an EQ that is more configurable.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 6 (2,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2012 2:45:39 PM
(0)
Scholar
O ok! Yes, i understand now. The phone does get that equalizer type thing when there is headphones connected to the phone. Hmm, weird update, but ok.
O ok! Yes, i understand now. The phone does get that equalizer type thing when there is headphones connected to the phone. Hmm, weird update, but ok.

4 of 6 (2,377 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 6:19:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

htc-davis wrote:
Hmm, weird update, but ok.

Purely a marketing move by HTC, which now owns the Beats brand.  Not sure if it helps to sell phones, but Beats is one of the top players in the headphones market overall, and I believe No. 1 in the high-end headphone market.  The Beats name has big marketing clout, particularly with the younger crowd.

htc-davis wrote:
Hmm, weird update, but ok.

Purely a marketing move by HTC, which now owns the Beats brand.  Not sure if it helps to sell phones, but Beats is one of the top players in the headphones market overall, and I believe No. 1 in the high-end headphone market.  The Beats name has big marketing clout, particularly with the younger crowd.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 6 (2,369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2012 11:48:50 AM
(0)
Scholar
I see, well beats audio is def not why i purchased this phone. But thanks for the info.
I see, well beats audio is def not why i purchased this phone. But thanks for the info.

6 of 6 (2,366 Views)