Ask a question

Posted Mar 24, 2009
    3:20:22 PM
    View profile
    DOMESTIC data roaming
    So I have found a lot of information on international data roaming horror stories with the iphone 3G, but my question is about Wyoming data roaming. While visiting the inlaws I had to turn on the data roaming toggle switch in the settings of the iphone to get the data features of the phone to work. I wondered if I would be charged data roaming so I called AT&T customer service and was told that indeed I would be paying for data roaming. Is this the case? The rep on the phone did not sound like she knew what she was talking about (no offense). Checked the coverage map and I was in a Partner Edge area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DOMESTIC data roaming

3 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (3)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 24, 2009 5:42:26 PM
    (0)
    Professor
    Edited by efparri on Mar 24, 2009 at 5:45:20 PM
    There is no charge for domestic data roaming but there is a limit to off-net data roaming. See the Data Terms and Conditions at: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/plan-terms.jsp
    Message Edited by efparri on 03-24-2009 08:44:58 PM
    Message Edited by efparri on 03-24-2009 08:45:20 PM

Re: DOMESTIC data roaming

[ Edited ]
    2 of 4 (21,832 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 24, 2009 11:35:02 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

This is what is under the data section of the terms and conditions...

"Roaming: Roaming charges for wireless data or voice service may be charged with some plans when outside AT&T's wireless network.  Display on your device will not indicate whether you will incur roaming charges. Services originated or received while outside your plan's included coverage area are subject to roaming charges. Use of Services when roaming is dependent upon roaming carrier's support of applicable network technology and functionality. Check with roaming carriers individually for support and coverage details. Billing for domestic and international roaming usage may be delayed up to three billing cycles due to reporting between carriers. If your usage of the Services on other carriers' wireless networks ("offnet usage") during any two consecutive months exceeds your offnet usage allowance, AT&T may at its option terminate your wireless service or access to data Services, deny your continued use of other carriers' coverage, or change your plan to one imposing usage charges for offnet usage.  Your offnet usage allowance is equal to the lesser of 6 megabytes or 20% of the kilobytes included with your plan and for messaging plans the lesser of 3000 messages or 50% of the messages included with your plan.  AT&T will provide notice that it intends to take any of the above actions and you may terminate your agreement.  You may be required to (1) use a device programmed with AT&T's preferred roaming database; and (2) have a mailing address and live in the United States, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands."

They are really clear about voice minute usage, but incredibly vague about data. So do I have to figure out every carrier that I possibly was connected to and contact them to see if they are going to charge AT&T?

3 of 4 (21,795 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 25, 2009 6:41:01 AM
    (0)
    Expert

josh.merkley wrote:

This is what is under the data section of the terms and conditions...

"Roaming: Roaming charges for wireless data or voice service may be charged with some plans when outside AT&T's wireless network.  Display on your device will not indicate whether you will incur roaming charges. Services originated or received while outside your plan's included coverage area are subject to roaming charges. Use of Services when roaming is dependent upon roaming carrier's support of applicable network technology and functionality. Check with roaming carriers individually for support and coverage details. Billing for domestic and international roaming usage may be delayed up to three billing cycles due to reporting between carriers. If your usage of the Services on other carriers' wireless networks ("offnet usage") during any two consecutive months exceeds your offnet usage allowance, AT&T may at its option terminate your wireless service or access to data Services, deny your continued use of other carriers' coverage, or change your plan to one imposing usage charges for offnet usage.  Your offnet usage allowance is equal to the lesser of 6 megabytes or 20% of the kilobytes included with your plan and for messaging plans the lesser of 3000 messages or 50% of the messages included with your plan.  AT&T will provide notice that it intends to take any of the above actions and you may terminate your agreement.  You may be required to (1) use a device programmed with AT&T's preferred roaming database; and (2) have a mailing address and live in the United States, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands."

They are really clear about voice minute usage, but incredibly vague about data. So do I have to figure out every carrier that I possibly was connected to and contact them to see if they are going to charge AT&T?

As long as you do not do 6MB or more of data usage on other carriers networks for 2 months or more you are fine.

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

When the going gets rough, hide in a pillow fort and pretend you don't exist.

4 of 4 (21,771 Views)