Helpful Links

DO NOT UPDATE TO GINGERBREAD!

Contributor

DO NOT UPDATE TO GINGERBREAD!

I updated my samsung captivate to the **NEW** system and went from froyo to gingerbread and now i REGRET it. Im so fed up with my phone that i upgraded to an iphone =( so heres a warning if you are debating on updating your phone, this is my own personal list but it looks like many other are getting the same problems..

1. my phone wont sync with my car anymore which really sucks because using a handheld device while driving is ILLEGAL in the state where im at.

2. i always get this annoying "tethering manager" message pop up whenever im using wi-fi and then jump to 3g

3. my phone doesnt connect to my computer anymore. i tried different usb plugs and my phone will charge but never sync so i cant transfer my pictures or add songs....

wish i knew about this before updating =/

Message 1 of 5
Guru

Re: DO NOT UPDATE TO GINGERBREAD!

Not directly related to your situation, BUT the Captivate Glide aleady came with Gingerbread. Then there was an updated Gingerbread (Android version 2.3.6 - kernel version  2.6.36.3). I downloaded & upgraded two Glides, with no problems. I mention this simply to share knowledge. Evidently, they might have worked the bugs out, that were happening from the" froyo to gingerbread" conversion.

Message 2 of 5

Do you still have problems after wiping data/factory resetting?

If so - hop over to XDA and install a real Gingerbread release.  The disasters of the Infuse and Captivate updates are serious egg on AT&T's face - Rogers has had working Gingerbread for the Infuse since early August (only thing missing is HDMI) - but AT&T broke all sorts of stuff with their Infuse release rather than just getting HDMI added.

Similarly - the I9000 had Gingerbread for around 9 months before it became available for the Captivate, and the Captivate release was an utter dud.

Message 3 of 5
Highlighted

1st rule of OS upgrading....

Don't wait for AT$T. You'll wait long enough for 1 or 2 more generations of phones to pass by before they deliver you their castrated upgrade. Why would they upgrade your device for free when they can delay and wait for you to pay for a next gen OS by device.

2nd rule of OS upgrading....

Don't rust that AT$T is going to deliver you a quality experience. Just look at the nightmares on this board and many others around the interwebs. Just go straight to a 3rd party to get a ROM that has not been stripped and altered by AT$T. AT$T has been known to strip features from OS to benefit their own financial needs. Ever wonder why you have to pay for Google Maps free Navigation feature (if you can even get it installed on your device?). It interferes with their pay service. Ever wonder why NFC is disabled on the new gen devices. AT$T's stake in the never to happen ISIS.

3rd rule of OS upgrading....

If you don't like all the bloat that they add to your OS, head over to a 3rd party.

You won't regret it. 

Enjoy your liberated device.

Message 4 of 5
Scholar

Not sure how I missed all these problems but I upgraded my Captivate to official ATT Gingerbread, rooted it, removed their bloatware, and am enjoying longer battery life and no crashes or anything.  So it *is* possible to obtain peace going their route...mostly Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support