DNS Server Settings Help

Contributor

DNS Server Settings Help

Background:
I'm trying to setup my Xbox 360 to use my aircard as its internet connection. Dialup is my only other internet option where I live, so I just want to see if I can get this to work. I use my aircard on my PC and Laptop to play online games, and to download just fine...so I feel I can use it for xbox live as well. I have the Sierra USBConnect 881. I have a Linksys WRT100 Wireless router. My PC and my Xbox are both hard wired into the router. I will not be using any wireless for this setup.  I am using the windows Internet Sharing Connection thing to do this.

The xbox runs verification test on my connection. It checks for a network adapter, which is located. It then checks for an IP address, which it was able to detect and confirm.

It FAILS the next part. Locating a DNS server. Anyone know where I should start? I believe its a network setting on my computer. Any ideas or starting points to look at?
Message 1 of 4
Professor

Re: DNS Server Settings Help

KartR31487 wrote:
Background:
I'm trying to setup my Xbox 360 to use my aircard as its internet connection. Dialup is my only other internet option where I live, so I just want to see if I can get this to work. I use my aircard on my PC and Laptop to play online games, and to download just fine...so I feel I can use it for xbox live as well. I have the Sierra USBConnect 881. I have a Linksys WRT100 Wireless router. My PC and my Xbox are both hard wired into the router. I will not be using any wireless for this setup.  I am using the windows Internet Sharing Connection thing to do this.

The xbox runs verification test on my connection. It checks for a network adapter, which is located. It then checks for an IP address, which it was able to detect and confirm.

It FAILS the next part. Locating a DNS server. Anyone know where I should start? I believe its a network setting on my computer. Any ideas or starting points to look at?

simple solution: just hardcode the opendns server IPs for the xbox DNS setup. they will work fine over at&t's data connection - ICS or otherwise.

Message 2 of 4
Contributor

I changed the primary DNS server my xbox to 208.67.222.222 and the secondary as 208.67.220.220. It still failed. Do I need to change anything on my computer?
Message 3 of 4
Professor

KartR31487 wrote:
I changed the primary DNS server my xbox to 208.67.222.222 and the secondary as 208.67.220.220. It still failed. Do I need to change anything on my computer?

no, that shouldn't matter. does the xbox indicate what IP address it is getting? are you sure it's a valid IP for your subnet? (make sure it's not 169.254.*.*)
Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support