DNS Server Settings Help

Contributor

DNS Server Settings Help

Background:
I'm trying to setup my Xbox 360 to use my aircard as its internet connection. Dialup is my only other internet option where I live, so I just want to see if I can get this to work. I use my aircard on my PC and Laptop to play online games, and to download just fine...so I feel I can use it for xbox live as well. I have the Sierra USBConnect 881. I have a Linksys WRT100 Wireless router. My PC and my Xbox are both hard wired into the router. I will not be using any wireless for this setup.  I am using the windows Internet Sharing Connection thing to do this.

The xbox runs verification test on my connection. It checks for a network adapter, which is located. It then checks for an IP address, which it was able to detect and confirm.

It FAILS the next part. Locating a DNS server. Anyone know where I should start? I believe its a network setting on my computer. Any ideas or starting points to look at?
Message 1 of 4 (8,651 Views)
Professor

Re: DNS Server Settings Help

KartR31487 wrote:
Background:
I'm trying to setup my Xbox 360 to use my aircard as its internet connection. Dialup is my only other internet option where I live, so I just want to see if I can get this to work. I use my aircard on my PC and Laptop to play online games, and to download just fine...so I feel I can use it for xbox live as well. I have the Sierra USBConnect 881. I have a Linksys WRT100 Wireless router. My PC and my Xbox are both hard wired into the router. I will not be using any wireless for this setup.  I am using the windows Internet Sharing Connection thing to do this.

The xbox runs verification test on my connection. It checks for a network adapter, which is located. It then checks for an IP address, which it was able to detect and confirm.

It FAILS the next part. Locating a DNS server. Anyone know where I should start? I believe its a network setting on my computer. Any ideas or starting points to look at?

simple solution: just hardcode the opendns server IPs for the xbox DNS setup. they will work fine over at&t's data connection - ICS or otherwise.

Message 2 of 4 (8,605 Views)
Contributor

I changed the primary DNS server my xbox to 208.67.222.222 and the secondary as 208.67.220.220. It still failed. Do I need to change anything on my computer?
Message 3 of 4 (8,592 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

KartR31487 wrote:
I changed the primary DNS server my xbox to 208.67.222.222 and the secondary as 208.67.220.220. It still failed. Do I need to change anything on my computer?

no, that shouldn't matter. does the xbox indicate what IP address it is getting? are you sure it's a valid IP for your subnet? (make sure it's not 169.254.*.*)
Message 4 of 4 (8,582 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.