Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 19, 2011
11:53:20 AM
View profile
DELL Streak (ANDROID)

I can't believe all this time, I just located the Android Commuity Discussion section of the forum. Checking to see how many Dell Streak owners are out there as well as how many ANDROIDians are out there and what phone do you have?

I can't believe all this time, I just located the Android Commuity Discussion section of the forum. Checking to see how many Dell Streak owners are out there as well as how many ANDROIDians are out there and what phone do you have?

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

DELL Streak (ANDROID)

49 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(49)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 12:02:00 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Mar 19, 2011 at 12:14:28 PM

Got the Dell Streak shipped with 1.6 so to get a good feel of the operating system before the upgrade. Really like it a lot! Almost didnt want to upgrade it.   After a week of getting familiar with the phone, I went to dell.com on the phone and pushed the 2.2 update and the two (to me) are totally two new experiences.  I really like 2.2 even more! If pushing out new and improved operating systems will continue to release the capabilities of this phone, i may never buy a new phone for a long time...

Does anyone have a list of pros and cons comparing the Streaks' 1.6 OS and 2.2 after the update?

Got the Dell Streak shipped with 1.6 so to get a good feel of the operating system before the upgrade. Really like it a lot! Almost didnt want to upgrade it.   After a week of getting familiar with the phone, I went to dell.com on the phone and pushed the 2.2 update and the two (to me) are totally two new experiences.  I really like 2.2 even more! If pushing out new and improved operating systems will continue to release the capabilities of this phone, i may never buy a new phone for a long time...

Does anyone have a list of pros and cons comparing the Streaks' 1.6 OS and 2.2 after the update?

Re: DELL Streak (ANDROID)

[ Edited ]
2 of 50 (1,570 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 3:46:47 AM
(0)
Professor

LOL Hey Wild Banchi, Ann154, i guess i IS dah only one on the forum with one of these tiny beauts.  Theres' gotta  be others with the Streak. I'll have to visit some other sites to get feedback, pros, cons etc if its not availablel here. 

LOL Hey Wild Banchi, Ann154, i guess i IS dah only one on the forum with one of these tiny beauts.  Theres' gotta  be others with the Streak. I'll have to visit some other sites to get feedback, pros, cons etc if its not availablel here. 

3 of 50 (1,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 4:36:12 AM
(0)
Master

Maybe not. someone need help getting android 2.2 for one.

http://forums.att.com/t5/General-Device-Support/Upgrade-Dell-Streak-to-Android-2-2/td-p/2712461

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

4 of 50 (1,507 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 6:18:24 AM
(0)
Professor
Thanks Ann! An 800 number was located where one with OTA update issues can call Dell direct. I am surprized his phone says "already updated" and still showing the 1.6 os
Thanks Ann! An 800 number was located where one with OTA update issues can call Dell direct. I am surprized his phone says "already updated" and still showing the 1.6 os

5 of 50 (1,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 8:45:53 AM
(0)
Contributor

Can you be a little more detailed how you got the 2.2 update from Dell? I purchased an AT&T locked 1.6 Streak a few days ago at BestBuy & can't seem to find a way to upgrade the 1.6 to 2.2 except through the technical process (beyond me) outlined on the XDA-develpors web site. The reps at Dell customer support say it's an AT&T issue....

Can you be a little more detailed how you got the 2.2 update from Dell? I purchased an AT&T locked 1.6 Streak a few days ago at BestBuy & can't seem to find a way to upgrade the 1.6 to 2.2 except through the technical process (beyond me) outlined on the XDA-develpors web site. The reps at Dell customer support say it's an AT&T issue....

6 of 50 (1,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 9:32:20 AM
(0)
Professor
Hey there, Believe me 1.6 is nice and 2.2 just like the Streak is new all over. So the good part about your time in 1.6 is it gives you time to really get to know how the tablet / phone look and feel, then when you move up to 2.2 you will readilly know the changes and updates. One thing youll noticeably like are the larger virtual keyboard. As far as your update , since its an ATT locked phone, Bestbuy wont be the source. You should call customer service, make sure they have your number registered to yout new phone's IMEI (i think thats what its called, theyll know). Then after they confirm they have the streak associated to your account, then ask for tech support. Tell tech support you want to open a Commitment for having your streak updated to 2.2 resolved. They should be able to help you. If you get a feeling that you are speaking to a customer serv rep or tech support rep that sound like they are grabbing at straws, just politely excuse self from the call and call right back in and get a different rep. Its best to do that than go all the way thru the process with one that doesnt do it right. Start with cust service. Question: is this your 1st att phone or is this replacing an existing phone?
Hey there, Believe me 1.6 is nice and 2.2 just like the Streak is new all over. So the good part about your time in 1.6 is it gives you time to really get to know how the tablet / phone look and feel, then when you move up to 2.2 you will readilly know the changes and updates. One thing youll noticeably like are the larger virtual keyboard. As far as your update , since its an ATT locked phone, Bestbuy wont be the source. You should call customer service, make sure they have your number registered to yout new phone's IMEI (i think thats what its called, theyll know). Then after they confirm they have the streak associated to your account, then ask for tech support. Tell tech support you want to open a Commitment for having your streak updated to 2.2 resolved. They should be able to help you. If you get a feeling that you are speaking to a customer serv rep or tech support rep that sound like they are grabbing at straws, just politely excuse self from the call and call right back in and get a different rep. Its best to do that than go all the way thru the process with one that doesnt do it right. Start with cust service. Question: is this your 1st att phone or is this replacing an existing phone?

Re: 2.2 Update for DELL Streak (ANDROID)?

7 of 50 (1,414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 9:38:06 AM
(0)
Professor
Sidenote: my update went smooth, I guess because my Streak came direct from Dell and the icon notification saying "update available" took me right to the dell.com link where it took no more than 20 minutes tops to do. Hope att helps. Post and keep us updated. You will be glad though, that you got to "know" the 1.6 environment for now. Smiley Very Happy
Sidenote: my update went smooth, I guess because my Streak came direct from Dell and the icon notification saying "update available" took me right to the dell.com link where it took no more than 20 minutes tops to do. Hope att helps. Post and keep us updated. You will be glad though, that you got to "know" the 1.6 environment for now. Smiley Very Happy

Re: 2.2 Update for DELL Streak (ANDROID)?

8 of 50 (1,412 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 9:41:20 AM
(0)
Master
Hey, RicoLX,
Is your Dell Streak the unlocked version of the phone or was it the locked AT&T model? That might be the difference as to why you can sideload applications and could update to Android 2.2 so easily. Just asking...
Hey, RicoLX,
Is your Dell Streak the unlocked version of the phone or was it the locked AT&T model? That might be the difference as to why you can sideload applications and could update to Android 2.2 so easily. Just asking...

9 of 50 (1,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 9:58:53 AM
(0)
Professor
Yes I am sure that is it. Came from Dell, no ATT or TMobile logo on it , could have had it registered with either carrier. it doed come with the "allow unauthorized apps" defaulted to unchecked. So, when checking it, the warning message states unauth alp may cause probs, etc but hey, so can a bad 'authorized' app. I installed a virus checking app that runs when a new app is dow loading. good so far. E
Yes I am sure that is it. Came from Dell, no ATT or TMobile logo on it , could have had it registered with either carrier. it doed come with the "allow unauthorized apps" defaulted to unchecked. So, when checking it, the warning message states unauth alp may cause probs, etc but hey, so can a bad 'authorized' app. I installed a virus checking app that runs when a new app is dow loading. good so far. E

10 of 50 (1,329 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 6:30:21 AM
(0)
Professor
http://mobileupdate.dell.com/Package...0_14844_31.pkg

The other link had periods in the begining....
http://mobileupdate.dell.com/Package...0_14844_31.pkg

The other link had periods in the begining....

11 of 50 (935 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 6:33:12 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Mar 25, 2011 at 6:42:31 AM

Go to this discussion link then click on it from within the xda site. Each time I click it here it wont work

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1006484

Be sure to read the discussion and make sure this is what you need. Theres several links on that discussion so be careful. The safest thing to do is get int toch with ATT.

The name of the file I downloaded last week from dell.com and upgraded me to2.2 is: Streak_340_14844_31.pkg If the link takes u to that file name and begins to download to your phone, be sure to read dell.com instructions to backup files first. Youll need them

Go to this discussion link then click on it from within the xda site. Each time I click it here it wont work

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1006484

Be sure to read the discussion and make sure this is what you need. Theres several links on that discussion so be careful. The safest thing to do is get int toch with ATT.

The name of the file I downloaded last week from dell.com and upgraded me to2.2 is: Streak_340_14844_31.pkg If the link takes u to that file name and begins to download to your phone, be sure to read dell.com instructions to backup files first. Youll need them

[ Edited ]
12 of 50 (930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2011 3:08:13 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Mar 25, 2011 at 3:09:08 PM

Neat Dell Streak Commercial I forgot about this one, I knew I wanted one when i first saw the commercial. 

Excellent tablet/phone for business use (not just for social networking)! And Android 2.2 Kicks! ! !

( click pic )

Neat Dell Streak Commercial I forgot about this one, I knew I wanted one when i first saw the commercial. 

Excellent tablet/phone for business use (not just for social networking)! And Android 2.2 Kicks! ! !

( click pic )

Re: DELL Streak: Forgot All About this Commercial

[ Edited ]
13 of 50 (912 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2011 7:00:07 PM
(0)
Teacher

Wow. Look at the size of that screen. Very nice! Mini TV!

14 of 50 (879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2011 7:09:10 PM
(0)
Professor

BassLine wrote:

Oh man, i know it! I cant put mine down! This is the phone to get!! the resolution on this thing is like watching HD TV  .  Yep, (screen)size matters buddylSmiley Wink

BassLine wrote:

Oh man, i know it! I cant put mine down! This is the phone to get!! the resolution on this thing is like watching HD TV  .  Yep, (screen)size matters buddylSmiley Wink

15 of 50 (875 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 29, 2011 5:09:03 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Mar 29, 2011 at 5:11:17 AM

When the great and powerful AT&T-Mobile riiiiiize from the POD into the mega-company and after 4G is 'truely' rolled out, will ATT discontinue supporting or selling phones that only has 3G capability?  Will we hve to purchase new phones to continue using the system or can we hold on to our 3g till they fall apart in our grabby hands before having to get back into the market again?  I just bought a phone and dont want to go thru that again for awahile (like hating car shopping)

When the great and powerful AT&T-Mobile riiiiiize from the POD into the mega-company and after 4G is 'truely' rolled out, will ATT discontinue supporting or selling phones that only has 3G capability?  Will we hve to purchase new phones to continue using the system or can we hold on to our 3g till they fall apart in our grabby hands before having to get back into the market again?  I just bought a phone and dont want to go thru that again for awahile (like hating car shopping)

DELL Streak: 3G and 4G question

[ Edited ]
16 of 50 (859 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 2:40:23 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Apr 6, 2011 at 3:08:26 AM

BIG DELL STREAK ONE CENT SALE EVENT IS ON!!!

HURRY! SUPPLIES GOING FAST! 

Amazon is currently having a one cent sale on the Dell Streaks (with upgrade).  Not a bad deal if you are planning to move from windows phone to android or if you are planning to use your upgrade soon.

BIG DELL STREAK ONE CENT SALE EVENT IS ON!!!

HURRY! SUPPLIES GOING FAST! 

Amazon is currently having a one cent sale on the Dell Streaks (with upgrade).  Not a bad deal if you are planning to move from windows phone to android or if you are planning to use your upgrade soon.

* * * * D E L L STREAKS FOR A PENNY * * * * with Upgrade on AMAZON.com

[ Edited ]
17 of 50 (807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2011 2:45:01 AM
(0)
Professor

Has anyone else purchased the Dell Streak and like their device? I've had my phone since March and its measured up to , and beyond what I like about cell phones. Perfect for business and pesonal use.

Has anyone else purchased the Dell Streak and like their device? I've had my phone since March and its measured up to , and beyond what I like about cell phones. Perfect for business and pesonal use.

Re: * * * * D E L L STREAKS FOR A PENNY * * * * with Upgrade on AMAZON.com

18 of 50 (758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

19 of 50 (755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2011 7:39:46 AM
(0)
Professor

Haha. yup! i read that on Engadget this morning!!! First thing i thought was, hes on T-Mobile. (LOL). oh, speaking of (thres also a link to fcc for public comments , but im sure if it went 1,000,000 to 1 against the merger, its a done deal regardless)

Haha. yup! i read that on Engadget this morning!!! First thing i thought was, hes on T-Mobile. (LOL). oh, speaking of (thres also a link to fcc for public comments , but im sure if it went 1,000,000 to 1 against the merger, its a done deal regardless)

20 of 50 (750 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2011 9:08:20 AM
(0)
Scholar

RicoLX wrote:

I've had mine since November.  I've been begging for a 5" phone for years and had to get this if only to support the company that answered my prayers.  Just wish it had a hardware keyboard.

I've been a WinMo (6.5.X) user for years and years.  I didn't really like the idea of switching to Android but I had no choice if I was going to use this puppy.  Started out with 1.6 and then 2.1, 2.2, and now 2.2.2.  I'm still luke-warm on Android.  I like the app store idea and it is better than the Marketplace thing on WinMo.  And it's much more flexible than WinMo with all the UI choices (I use ADW.Launcher, seems closest to CHT).  However, I got used to having all my contacts and appointments in Outlook and the Outlook <-> Android interface is clumsey to me.  So I ditched Outlook and now 100% Google with my contacts and calendar.

All the app choices are a benefit for Android.  I don't use the stock email client, went with K-9.

My phone is rooted only because I want to use SetCPU and a couple of other utilities that need root access. 

Bottom-line:  Credit the Streak for bringing me to Android.  But I would have bought the Streak no matter what OS it was based on.  And if there was a chef baking a WinMo 6.5.X ROM for the Streak, my phone would have never been booted off Android...

RicoLX wrote:

I've had mine since November.  I've been begging for a 5" phone for years and had to get this if only to support the company that answered my prayers.  Just wish it had a hardware keyboard.

I've been a WinMo (6.5.X) user for years and years.  I didn't really like the idea of switching to Android but I had no choice if I was going to use this puppy.  Started out with 1.6 and then 2.1, 2.2, and now 2.2.2.  I'm still luke-warm on Android.  I like the app store idea and it is better than the Marketplace thing on WinMo.  And it's much more flexible than WinMo with all the UI choices (I use ADW.Launcher, seems closest to CHT).  However, I got used to having all my contacts and appointments in Outlook and the Outlook <-> Android interface is clumsey to me.  So I ditched Outlook and now 100% Google with my contacts and calendar.

All the app choices are a benefit for Android.  I don't use the stock email client, went with K-9.

My phone is rooted only because I want to use SetCPU and a couple of other utilities that need root access. 

Bottom-line:  Credit the Streak for bringing me to Android.  But I would have bought the Streak no matter what OS it was based on.  And if there was a chef baking a WinMo 6.5.X ROM for the Streak, my phone would have never been booted off Android...

I've had mine since November.  I've been begging for a 5&...

21 of 50 (738 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2011 9:55:29 AM
(0)
Professor
Wow, looks lime you went the same route I did from winmo, till they pried otb from my grabby fingers... I swore id never go android and glad I finally did. Especially the 5" screen! Oh, and I like t he flexibilith of the android system, rooting and having full control.

I went eith Enhanced Email from the market and its really nice. The stock is a means to get acclaimated, but the Enhanced has all the features I used in client emails from mass deletes, move, etc.

I have always had a phone with a physical keyboard but Streak sold me. I did get a bluetooth keypad to use with my phone, its tiny and rather convinient. Ill post a pic of it. See if you can locate one on amazon.
Wow, looks lime you went the same route I did from winmo, till they pried otb from my grabby fingers... I swore id never go android and glad I finally did. Especially the 5" screen! Oh, and I like t he flexibilith of the android system, rooting and having full control.

I went eith Enhanced Email from the market and its really nice. The stock is a means to get acclaimated, but the Enhanced has all the features I used in client emails from mass deletes, move, etc.

I have always had a phone with a physical keyboard but Streak sold me. I did get a bluetooth keypad to use with my phone, its tiny and rather convinient. Ill post a pic of it. See if you can locate one on amazon.

22 of 50 (740 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2011 10:12:50 AM
(0)
Professor

I got this Mini Bluetooth Keypad from Amazon.com to use with my Dell Streak.

I got this Mini Bluetooth Keypad from Amazon.com to use with my Dell Streak.

23 of 50 (732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2011 12:51:55 PM
(0)
Scholar

Cool!  I'll check out that keyboard.  Looks small enough to keep in my pocket next to my iPod Touch...

Cool!  I'll check out that keyboard.  Looks small enough to keep in my pocket next to my iPod Touch...

24 of 50 (724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2011 1:07:45 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Jun 2, 2011 at 1:09:28 PM

Its nice and thin too. Holds a charge for a while. I bought a leather zipped carry case to put my Streak and the keypad, plus the usb cable for charging the pad if needed.

I hate getting the screen dirty and convient sitting the streak down on the desk and typing on a full keypad, screen stays cleaner as far as touching all the keys. If u consider one, they come in black to match phones, but they mistakenly sent silver. I didnt feel like dealing with the refund/swap issue.

Its nice and thin too. Holds a charge for a while. I bought a leather zipped carry case to put my Streak and the keypad, plus the usb cable for charging the pad if needed.

I hate getting the screen dirty and convient sitting the streak down on the desk and typing on a full keypad, screen stays cleaner as far as touching all the keys. If u consider one, they come in black to match phones, but they mistakenly sent silver. I didnt feel like dealing with the refund/swap issue.

[ Edited ]
25 of 50 (719 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2011 4:37:23 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Jun 15, 2011 at 4:38:58 AM

If you are wondering why it appears the Dell Streak is becoming scarce on Amazon Wireless and BestBuy (looks like they are not restocking when running out)

Aside from AT&T pulling out of allowing 3rd party online vendors (such as wirefly and the like) to sell att phones anymore, there's a NEW DELL STREAK (or some new name) coming out 1Quater 2012.

Yep, maybe these grabby hands can get wrapped around one of these new babies.... will see

If you are wondering why it appears the Dell Streak is becoming scarce on Amazon Wireless and BestBuy (looks like they are not restocking when running out)

Aside from AT&T pulling out of allowing 3rd party online vendors (such as wirefly and the like) to sell att phones anymore, there's a NEW DELL STREAK (or some new name) coming out 1Quater 2012.

Yep, maybe these grabby hands can get wrapped around one of these new babies.... will see

[ Edited ]
26 of 50 (674 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 15, 2011 8:21:38 PM
(0)
Master
With your sound problems that you posted in the other thread, try this app and verify your volume levels for all the different volume types.

http://market.android.com/details?id=com.roozen.SoundManager
With your sound problems that you posted in the other thread, try this app and verify your volume levels for all the different volume types.

http://market.android.com/details?id=com.roozen.SoundManager

27 of 50 (663 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2011 3:12:29 AM
(0)
Professor
Thanks Ann(droid154). I will give it a try, however, I think no matter how high I turn up volume controls, its the output that us simply too low since the update. Will post results here.

Thx
Thanks Ann(droid154). I will give it a try, however, I think no matter how high I turn up volume controls, its the output that us simply too low since the update. Will post results here.

Thx

28 of 50 (656 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2011 7:46:41 AM
(0)
Master
The only other you might want to check is if the speaker itself has gone bad. I have read of other phones (HTC) doing this
The only other you might want to check is if the speaker itself has gone bad. I have read of other phones (HTC) doing this

29 of 50 (649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2011 7:55:18 AM
(0)
Professor
I doubt its the speakers going bad.. The up date has caused choppiness in screen transition and video recording is blurry and hangs. All of this occurred at the same exact moment. I need to roll back for sure.
I doubt its the speakers going bad.. The up date has caused choppiness in screen transition and video recording is blurry and hangs. All of this occurred at the same exact moment. I need to roll back for sure.

30 of 50 (647 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments