DELL Streak (ANDROID)

Professor

DELL Streak (ANDROID)

I can't believe all this time, I just located the Android Commuity Discussion section of the forum. Checking to see how many Dell Streak owners are out there as well as how many ANDROIDians are out there and what phone do you have?

Message 1 of 50 (2,333 Views)
Professor

Re: DELL Streak (ANDROID)

[ Edited ]

Got the Dell Streak shipped with 1.6 so to get a good feel of the operating system before the upgrade. Really like it a lot! Almost didnt want to upgrade it.   After a week of getting familiar with the phone, I went to dell.com on the phone and pushed the 2.2 update and the two (to me) are totally two new experiences.  I really like 2.2 even more! If pushing out new and improved operating systems will continue to release the capabilities of this phone, i may never buy a new phone for a long time...

Does anyone have a list of pros and cons comparing the Streaks' 1.6 OS and 2.2 after the update?

Message 2 of 50 (2,018 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

LOL Hey Wild Banchi, Ann154, i guess i IS dah only one on the forum with one of these tiny beauts.  Theres' gotta  be others with the Streak. I'll have to visit some other sites to get feedback, pros, cons etc if its not availablel here. 

Message 3 of 50 (1,961 Views)
Master

Maybe not. someone need help getting android 2.2 for one.

http://forums.att.com/t5/General-Device-Support/Upgrade-Dell-Streak-to-Android-2-2/td-p/2712461

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 50 (1,955 Views)
Professor

Thanks Ann! An 800 number was located where one with OTA update issues can call Dell direct. I am surprized his phone says "already updated" and still showing the 1.6 os
Message 5 of 50 (1,949 Views)
Contributor

Can you be a little more detailed how you got the 2.2 update from Dell? I purchased an AT&T locked 1.6 Streak a few days ago at BestBuy & can't seem to find a way to upgrade the 1.6 to 2.2 except through the technical process (beyond me) outlined on the XDA-develpors web site. The reps at Dell customer support say it's an AT&T issue....

Message 6 of 50 (1,882 Views)
Professor

Re: 2.2 Update for DELL Streak (ANDROID)?

Hey there, Believe me 1.6 is nice and 2.2 just like the Streak is new all over. So the good part about your time in 1.6 is it gives you time to really get to know how the tablet / phone look and feel, then when you move up to 2.2 you will readilly know the changes and updates. One thing youll noticeably like are the larger virtual keyboard. As far as your update , since its an ATT locked phone, Bestbuy wont be the source. You should call customer service, make sure they have your number registered to yout new phone's IMEI (i think thats what its called, theyll know). Then after they confirm they have the streak associated to your account, then ask for tech support. Tell tech support you want to open a Commitment for having your streak updated to 2.2 resolved. They should be able to help you. If you get a feeling that you are speaking to a customer serv rep or tech support rep that sound like they are grabbing at straws, just politely excuse self from the call and call right back in and get a different rep. Its best to do that than go all the way thru the process with one that doesnt do it right. Start with cust service. Question: is this your 1st att phone or is this replacing an existing phone?
Message 7 of 50 (1,862 Views)
Professor

Re: 2.2 Update for DELL Streak (ANDROID)?

Sidenote: my update went smooth, I guess because my Streak came direct from Dell and the icon notification saying "update available" took me right to the dell.com link where it took no more than 20 minutes tops to do. Hope att helps. Post and keep us updated. You will be glad though, that you got to "know" the 1.6 environment for now. Smiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 50 (1,860 Views)
Master

Hey, RicoLX,
Is your Dell Streak the unlocked version of the phone or was it the locked AT&T model? That might be the difference as to why you can sideload applications and could update to Android 2.2 so easily. Just asking...
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 50 (1,859 Views)
Professor

Yes I am sure that is it. Came from Dell, no ATT or TMobile logo on it , could have had it registered with either carrier. it doed come with the "allow unauthorized apps" defaulted to unchecked. So, when checking it, the warning message states unauth alp may cause probs, etc but hey, so can a bad 'authorized' app. I installed a virus checking app that runs when a new app is dow loading. good so far. E
Message 10 of 50 (1,777 Views)
Professor

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/Package...0_14844_31.pkg

The other link had periods in the begining....
Message 11 of 50 (1,383 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Go to this discussion link then click on it from within the xda site. Each time I click it here it wont work

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1006484

Be sure to read the discussion and make sure this is what you need. Theres several links on that discussion so be careful. The safest thing to do is get int toch with ATT.

The name of the file I downloaded last week from dell.com and upgraded me to2.2 is: Streak_340_14844_31.pkg If the link takes u to that file name and begins to download to your phone, be sure to read dell.com instructions to backup files first. Youll need them
Message 12 of 50 (1,378 Views)
Professor

Re: DELL Streak: Forgot All About this Commercial

[ Edited ]

Neat Dell Streak Commercial I forgot about this one, I knew I wanted one when i first saw the commercial. 

Excellent tablet/phone for business use (not just for social networking)! And Android 2.2 Kicks! ! !

( click pic )

Message 13 of 50 (1,360 Views)
Teacher

Wow. Look at the size of that screen. Very nice! Mini TV!

Message 14 of 50 (1,327 Views)
Professor

BassLine wrote:

Wow. Look at the size of that screen. Very nice! Mini TV!

Oh man, i know it! I cant put mine down! This is the phone to get!! the resolution on this thing is like watching HD TV  .  Yep, (screen)size matters buddylSmiley Wink

Message 15 of 50 (1,323 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.