DATA USE CANNOT BE RIGHT!!!!!!

Tutor

DATA USE CANNOT BE RIGHT!!!!!!

There is NO way.  Not a chance in { word filter evasion }  that the data use on my wife's phone is correct.  Through 20 days of our billing cycle she had used 61 MB of data.  She is a light user.  No facebook or anything like that.  Yesterday, in ONE day, she is showing as used 521 MB!!!!!  In one day?!?!?!?!?!  I am a heavy user and have only used a little more than 400MB the whole month.  Oh, and the day and time of the use was yesterday at 10:44 AM.  While she was home....on WiFi!  Can anyone explain how this is not AT&T overcharging data to bust you over your data plan?  Smells like a potential class action to me.  I really wish I had kept my unlimited plan.  When we were on Blackberrys, We never used more than 160MB of data in a month (we were on the unlimited plan).  Since upgrading to the iPhone 4 I have had to upgrade to the 2 GB plan but she has been fine.  No way this is right.  no possible way.

Message 1 of 55
Professor

Re: DATA USE CANNOT BE RIGHT!!!!!!

johninsj wrote:

it won't use 3G data if you turn off 3g data in settings

While that is correct, that does not stop the device from using cellular data.

If you do not want to use any cellular data, you must turn off cellular data in Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data.

There is no 3G data setting, only a setting to turn on/off the 3G radio which reverts the device back to EDGE for data and voice.

Message 16 of 55
ACE - Professor

satchev wrote:

johninsj wrote:

it won't use 3G data if you turn off 3g data in settings

While that is correct, that does not stop the device from using cellular data.

If you do not want to use any cellular data, you must turn off cellular data in Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data.

There is no 3G data setting, only a setting to turn on/off the 3G radio which reverts the device back to EDGE for data and voice.

Right, that's what I meant. My bad.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 55
Teacher

Install the DataMan app right now and let it warn you BEFORE you go over your limit. If it makes you feel better, you are helping make the CEO's Christmas bonus that much better.

Message 18 of 55
Scholar

I upgraded to iPhone 4 a few months ago. It is faster. I have and use more apps, can multi-task and since the screen resolution is so much better, I use it for many types of web browsing that I used to do on my computer. Common sense would tell me that I'd be using much more data now than before. But I'm using much less.

I don't think the iPhone 4 reverts to 3G when the phone is in sleep/lock mode, but earlier models did. I habitually listen to streaming radio when I'm at home (with wi-fi) and have for about a year. I use Facebook, email, various Google apps, and check numerous news sites.  My usage via *DATA# shows only 90MB on day 17 of 30 in the current billing period. That indicates I'll use likely less than 200MB this month. My usage with my old iPhone ranged from 400-600MB/month when I was not traveling and more when I was.

I was pretty unnerved because of huge uploads of data at the same time every night - around 2:30 a.m. AT&T couldn't explain it. I never had anything like the OP's half gigabyte on one day. 

Message 19 of 55

Myrtlemaye wrote:

I was pretty unnerved because of huge uploads of data at the same time every night - around 2:30 a.m. AT&T couldn't explain it. I never had anything like the OP's half gigabyte on one day. 

You can't see on your bill or myWireless account whether data was uploaded or downloaded.

The usage you see doesn't show the direction the data is moving, but whether the connection or session is inbound or outbound.  During a voice call, sound can move both to and from the phone (speaking and listening), but the call itself is received or sent depending on whether the phone initiates or receives the connection.  Similarly, during a data session, data can move both directions (uploading and downloading), but the session will always show as sent because the phone always initiates the connection.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 20 of 55
Scholar

That makes sense. You are the first person at AT&T that has had any reasonable explanation of why I had all those large chunks of data going "out." I've been asking for an explanation since the day AT&T announced a tiered data plan and I started looking closely at my usage. Thanks.
Message 21 of 55
Tutor

Thanks for all of your input and advice.  I made same calles to customer care and actually spoke with a rep who remembers what customer service is all about.  She was empathetic to my situation, offered alternative solutions, and agreed to speak to her supervisor about getting me back on the unlimited plan that I was eligible to grandfathered into when I upgraded to iPhone less than a month ago.  In the interim, she was able to retroactively change my wife's plan to the 2GB to eliminate the overage while the decision with her supervisor was pending.  Long story short, I have made my way back to the unlimited data plan and cross my heart so help me god, I will not ever leave it again! 

Message 22 of 55
ACE - Master

lt2e3 wrote:

In the interim, she was able to retroactively change my wife's plan to the 2GB to eliminate the overage while the decision with her supervisor was pending.  Long story short, I have made my way back to the unlimited data plan and cross my heart so help me god, I will not ever leave it again! 

I hope you get your unlimited data back but just FYI, the ability to retroactively change your data plan from the 200MB plan to the 2GB plan, or vice versa, is available to everyone from your MyWireless account page.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 23 of 55
Tutor

I did indeed get my unlimited back.  And as for the retro data, the first rep I spoke to said it couldn't be done retroactively.  Sounds like someone needs remedial training!

Message 24 of 55
ACE - Master

lt2e3 wrote:

I did indeed get my unlimited back.  And as for the retro data, the first rep I spoke to said it couldn't be done retroactively.  Sounds like someone needs remedial training!

According to company policy, once you are off the unlimited plan, you can't have it back.  Based on that, the first rep did no wrong.  You ust managed to get lucky to find a rep that was willing to break company policy to make you happy.  Which one needs remdial training?  The one who followed company policy rules, but made you unhappy or the one which violated company policy rules but made you happy?

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
Message 25 of 55
Tutor

GeekBoy wrote:

lt2e3 wrote:

According to company policy, once you are off the unlimited plan, you can't have it back.  Based on that, the first rep did no wrong.  You ust managed to get lucky to find a rep that was willing to break company policy to make you happy.  Which one needs remdial training?  The one who followed company policy rules, but made you unhappy or the one which violated company policy rules but made you happy?

I truly hope you don't work for AT&T.  And if you do, I hope it's not in a customer facing role.  Your attention to detail appears to be lacking.  If you had actually read my response, the remedial training was in regard to my ability to upgrade to the 2GB plan retroactively and thus eliminate the overage.  The first rep I spoke to told me that would not be possible when in fact it was. 

I can appreciate company policy and a rep's ability or lack thereof to make exceptions to policy.  The rep I spoke to did not violate company policy.  Her supervisor used override capability to put me back on the unlimited plan.  I would guess you are not management since you appear to lack the ability to see things outside the box and understand that there are times when exceptions to the rules can be and should be made.  Management is given that ability to make exceptions to policy.

There is a distinct difference between a Customer Service Rep and a Company Figurehead.  You see, a figurehead can spout off policy and make judgements about others, point out what is wrong with everyone else, and is likely someone who is putting in time at a job.  A CSR has the ability to empathize with customers issues and use judgement on when and when not to elevate an issue to the next level.  I should point out that I did not demand a supervisor.  I merely pointed out that someone using 60MB in 20 days to suddenly use 521MB should be a red flag. 

So, the rep that needs remedial training would be the one who told me i could not do the 2GB plan retroactively when I could.  The rep who should be commended and used as a model for service is the one who took the time to address the issue.  My position would be the same had she called back and told me that I couldn't have the unlimited data plan back but only the 2GB.  Because she took the time to understand the situation and to attempt to serve the customer.  This is the type of person who should advance within the AT&T organization.  Take some time and watch some episodes of Undercover Boss.  You will see how important customer impact can be to an organization and see what type of person is successful.

Message 26 of 55
Mentor

lt2e3 wrote:

....  Your attention to detail appears to be lacking.  If you had actually read my response.....

Yes, there's lot of that on these forums: trying to get a direct, accurate response to a query.  The English language is slowly dying.  All Hail MTV.

Anyway, I've been lucky with AT&T Customer Service Reps.  Several have gone out of their usual zone to truly please customers, like me!  Even got a few freebies -- after buying 2 iPhone 4s.  Imagine!

Message 27 of 55
ACE - Master

EWynett wrote:

lt2e3 wrote:

....  Your attention to detail appears to be lacking.  If you had actually read my response.....

Yes, there's lot of that on these forums: trying to get a direct, accurate response to a query.  The English language is slowly dying.  All Hail MTV.

To be honest, with the way whiners react when they don't get the answer they want to hear,  I'm surprised that people even volunteer their efforts to try to answer questions on thes forums.  You might be amazed how many people are here trying to help and get crap from people because they miss one little thing or say something wrong.  People attempting to answer questions here are not paid to do that, they are doing so of their own kindness and efforts.  Many are quick to judge them for a mistake, but few are willing to thank them for the helpful advise or knowledge.  It's quite amazing how many still come back and try to help...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
Message 28 of 55
Contributor

Did you ever figure out why there was a sudden spike in data usage? The same thing has happened to me. The past four months I have not gone over 200mb. Suddenly, in one day - there is a huge spike and overage. No explanation. I was home with wireless. 

My data usage info on-line lists data use by hour, then suddenly, two days in a row, a huge data usage at midnight. I did just upgrade to 4.1 and think perhaps that has something to do with it? Again - this is not a normal occurrence, no unusual usage on my part. It almost feels like malware....

Message 29 of 55

Just happened to me.  I got a text saying that I had gone over 200MB and was being charged another $15.00.  I looked at my account online and saw this:

12/22   11:48 PM   phone  Internet/MEdia Net   Sent  90498KB

As someone who uses WiFi at home, I thought that 200MB would be fine.  But I never expected half of it to be blown away with phantom usage in the middle of the night.

I've read the "explanations" from AT&T employees above, and frankly they don't make any logical sense.  What a rip.

Message 30 of 55
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support