Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 8, 2010
6:46:54 AM
View profile
DATA USE CANNOT BE RIGHT!!!!!!
Edited by lt2e3 on Dec 8, 2010 at 7:06:08 AM

There is NO way.  Not a chance in { word filter evasion }  that the data use on my wife's phone is correct.  Through 20 days of our billing cycle she had used 61 MB of data.  She is a light user.  No facebook or anything like that.  Yesterday, in ONE day, she is showing as used 521 MB!!!!!  In one day?!?!?!?!?!  I am a heavy user and have only used a little more than 400MB the whole month.  Oh, and the day and time of the use was yesterday at 10:44 AM.  While she was home....on WiFi!  Can anyone explain how this is not AT&T overcharging data to bust you over your data plan?  Smells like a potential class action to me.  I really wish I had kept my unlimited plan.  When we were on Blackberrys, We never used more than 160MB of data in a month (we were on the unlimited plan).  Since upgrading to the iPhone 4 I have had to upgrade to the 2 GB plan but she has been fine.  No way this is right.  no possible way.

There is NO way.  Not a chance in { word filter evasion }  that the data use on my wife's phone is correct.  Through 20 days of our billing cycle she had used 61 MB of data.  She is a light user.  No facebook or anything like that.  Yesterday, in ONE day, she is showing as used 521 MB!!!!!  In one day?!?!?!?!?!  I am a heavy user and have only used a little more than 400MB the whole month.  Oh, and the day and time of the use was yesterday at 10:44 AM.  While she was home....on WiFi!  Can anyone explain how this is not AT&T overcharging data to bust you over your data plan?  Smells like a potential class action to me.  I really wish I had kept my unlimited plan.  When we were on Blackberrys, We never used more than 160MB of data in a month (we were on the unlimited plan).  Since upgrading to the iPhone 4 I have had to upgrade to the 2 GB plan but she has been fine.  No way this is right.  no possible way.

DATA USE CANNOT BE RIGHT!!!!!!

[ Edited ]
54 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(54)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2010 8:57:11 AM
(0)
Scholar

Since installing DataMan on two different days its alarm went off telling my that I had used up my daily allowance. Oddly one of the days I was home on WiFi. In both cases restating my iPhone stopped the excessive data use so it must be tied to a misbehaving app.

Since installing DataMan on two different days its alarm went off telling my that I had used up my daily allowance. Oddly one of the days I was home on WiFi. In both cases restating my iPhone stopped the excessive data use so it must be tied to a misbehaving app.

Re: DATA USE CANNOT BE RIGHT!!!!!!

31 of 55 (1,475 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2010 8:20:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

"home on wifi"- but if your phone has gone to sleep, and isn't plugged in, after just a few minutes wifi is turned off. Now, it's back on cellular data, and if it then does anything to use data, it's using it on cellular. So, if you've left yourself logged in to IM, or if you have push anything enabled, or if you check email ever X minutes, or if you have an email message stuck in your outbox, or you've got a backgrounded app that's still using data...

You use data.

"home on wifi"- but if your phone has gone to sleep, and isn't plugged in, after just a few minutes wifi is turned off. Now, it's back on cellular data, and if it then does anything to use data, it's using it on cellular. So, if you've left yourself logged in to IM, or if you have push anything enabled, or if you check email ever X minutes, or if you have an email message stuck in your outbox, or you've got a backgrounded app that's still using data...

You use data.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

32 of 55 (1,444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2010 11:00:19 AM
(0)
Guru

Mark me down as another guy who was unpleasantly surprised by a sudden spike in my wife's iPhone data usage. 

My wife has never gone over 200 MB and averages around 120 megs/month.  She got the 60% warning on 12/23.  On 12/25 she got a message saying she'd gone over her 200 MB plan and was being charged for another 200.  When I looked at the OLAM stats today he hit almost another 200 MB in one day!

I haven't bothered to pay much attention to my better half's data usage because it hasn't been an issue.  But I just reset the cellular network data counter on her 3GS and will be keeing an eye on it to see if I can pin down what is causing her data use to go through the roof.

Mark me down as another guy who was unpleasantly surprised by a sudden spike in my wife's iPhone data usage. 

My wife has never gone over 200 MB and averages around 120 megs/month.  She got the 60% warning on 12/23.  On 12/25 she got a message saying she'd gone over her 200 MB plan and was being charged for another 200.  When I looked at the OLAM stats today he hit almost another 200 MB in one day!

I haven't bothered to pay much attention to my better half's data usage because it hasn't been an issue.  But I just reset the cellular network data counter on her 3GS and will be keeing an eye on it to see if I can pin down what is causing her data use to go through the roof.

33 of 55 (1,393 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2010 8:31:10 AM
(0)
Tutor
Same thing has happened to me--twice over the last few months. I checked my data usage yesterday on the Mywireless app (I monitor it to see how much data I use regularly, and it's well within the 200mb data plan). But I woke up to Steve message this am saying I had exceeded my limit and would be charged $15.
The worst part of this is there's no way to determine how this happened or what caused it or what app is responsible, so there's not a way to reasonably feel like you can prevent it from happening. But I guess AT&T is perfectly fine with that since they're popping me for 15 with it every few months.
Seriously Id like to know a way to nail down what my phone was doing overnight while "off" and I'm asleep skybox ca be avoided.
Same thing has happened to me--twice over the last few months. I checked my data usage yesterday on the Mywireless app (I monitor it to see how much data I use regularly, and it's well within the 200mb data plan). But I woke up to Steve message this am saying I had exceeded my limit and would be charged $15.
The worst part of this is there's no way to determine how this happened or what caused it or what app is responsible, so there's not a way to reasonably feel like you can prevent it from happening. But I guess AT&T is perfectly fine with that since they're popping me for 15 with it every few months.
Seriously Id like to know a way to nail down what my phone was doing overnight while "off" and I'm asleep skybox ca be avoided.

34 of 55 (1,286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2010 12:59:21 PM
(0)
Professor

Gtracs wrote:

Most likely nothing is occurring over night, but rather it is just data from the last day or days being aggrigated together.

You can easily change and backdate your data plan to the 2GB version at any point during the billing cycle to "avoid" the overage charges.

Gtracs wrote:

Most likely nothing is occurring over night, but rather it is just data from the last day or days being aggrigated together.

You can easily change and backdate your data plan to the 2GB version at any point during the billing cycle to "avoid" the overage charges.

35 of 55 (1,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2010 1:52:09 PM
(0)
Tutor
Satchev thank you for the response and info. I may go ahead and switch plans for this month then.
AT&T should probably stop recommending their Mywireless data tracking app for that very purpose though; it's misleading since the app is undeniable.
Satchev thank you for the response and info. I may go ahead and switch plans for this month then.
AT&T should probably stop recommending their Mywireless data tracking app for that very purpose though; it's misleading since the app is undeniable.

36 of 55 (1,244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2010 1:53:15 PM
(0)
Tutor
Er, unreliable.
Er, unreliable.

37 of 55 (1,244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2010 2:25:15 PM
(0)
Professor

It's not that the app is unreliable.  All data reporting can be delayed up to 72hrs, longer in some cases.

This is clearly stated on your bill.

The app is accurate, your expecations simply need to be adjusted.

It's not that the app is unreliable.  All data reporting can be delayed up to 72hrs, longer in some cases.

This is clearly stated on your bill.

The app is accurate, your expecations simply need to be adjusted.

38 of 55 (1,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2010 3:22:36 PM
(0)
Tutor
Hm, well by unreliable I mean it's useless for the purpose it's recommended for by ATT. Not sure why it even exists in their app if it doesn't relay any useful info. Thanks for the heads up anyway.
Hm, well by unreliable I mean it's useless for the purpose it's recommended for by ATT. Not sure why it even exists in their app if it doesn't relay any useful info. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

39 of 55 (1,205 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2010 9:09:03 PM
(0)
Scholar
You're paying $30 every few months and the rest of the time paying $15. That's less than if you had the unlimited plan, which is $30 every month no matter how little you use. So bottom line, you're spending less I just feel better with the unlimited plan so I don't to monitor my usage, trying not to hit that point that would put me in the next tier. It's almost like a computer game I'm playing it with texting. I have the minimum 200/$5 and for 2 years I never came close to my allotment. Now lately my chatty friends and family are eating up my plan. After $5 for 200 the next level is $15 for $1500 messages. Seems a bargain but percentage-wise it's a big jump in my bill. I see no way I would ever come near 1500 texts, nor would I want to. Texting is a cash cow for providers. They charge both sending and receiving parties for the same transmission. They don't give in-network discounts like they do with voice minutes and there's no nights and weekends discounts. From what I understand, carrier cost for texting is almost nonexistent. Texts take little bandwidth. Does anyone know of a free texting app that works well, doesn't require giving up too much privacy. Any that both parties don't' have to be using at the same time? I've used AIM for long conversations, but it's not quite right for a quick exchange.
You're paying $30 every few months and the rest of the time paying $15. That's less than if you had the unlimited plan, which is $30 every month no matter how little you use. So bottom line, you're spending less I just feel better with the unlimited plan so I don't to monitor my usage, trying not to hit that point that would put me in the next tier. It's almost like a computer game I'm playing it with texting. I have the minimum 200/$5 and for 2 years I never came close to my allotment. Now lately my chatty friends and family are eating up my plan. After $5 for 200 the next level is $15 for $1500 messages. Seems a bargain but percentage-wise it's a big jump in my bill. I see no way I would ever come near 1500 texts, nor would I want to. Texting is a cash cow for providers. They charge both sending and receiving parties for the same transmission. They don't give in-network discounts like they do with voice minutes and there's no nights and weekends discounts. From what I understand, carrier cost for texting is almost nonexistent. Texts take little bandwidth. Does anyone know of a free texting app that works well, doesn't require giving up too much privacy. Any that both parties don't' have to be using at the same time? I've used AIM for long conversations, but it's not quite right for a quick exchange.

40 of 55 (1,182 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2010 6:20:06 AM
(0)
Tutor
Well just as an update I turned off 3g and cell data over night, and no multi-hundred mb mystery spike according to Mywireless app and the fact I didn,t receive a text about it--the app reports roughly the same amt of data as my iphone "Usage" report, so Im still not sure about what caused it the night before.
Well just as an update I turned off 3g and cell data over night, and no multi-hundred mb mystery spike according to Mywireless app and the fact I didn,t receive a text about it--the app reports roughly the same amt of data as my iphone "Usage" report, so Im still not sure about what caused it the night before.

41 of 55 (1,435 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2010 1:29:51 PM
(0)
Mentor

Gtracs wrote:

Exactly!  And that's the key which has been written about everywhere: turn off the 3G and cell data when possible.  OR you could just turn off all your running apps if not being used so there will be nothing to pull 3G or cell data!

Many of us use our phones to the max, using wi-fi when possible.  And using the suggestions above, I rarely go over 40 MB/month.

Gtracs wrote:

Exactly!  And that's the key which has been written about everywhere: turn off the 3G and cell data when possible.  OR you could just turn off all your running apps if not being used so there will be nothing to pull 3G or cell data!

Many of us use our phones to the max, using wi-fi when possible.  And using the suggestions above, I rarely go over 40 MB/month.

42 of 55 (1,398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2010 2:30:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Myrtlemaye wrote:

I have used and like Pinger Textfree.  You get your own text phone number, so your friends would have to know to text you on one number, but call you on your current number.  They don't have to use the Textfree app; they would just send the message through their current messaging app.  The downside is that there is no MMS.  However, if you have understanding friends, this can help you keep your costs down.

Myrtlemaye wrote:

I have used and like Pinger Textfree.  You get your own text phone number, so your friends would have to know to text you on one number, but call you on your current number.  They don't have to use the Textfree app; they would just send the message through their current messaging app.  The downside is that there is no MMS.  However, if you have understanding friends, this can help you keep your costs down.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

43 of 55 (1,384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2010 5:45:45 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by SLIKRICK on Dec 31, 2010 at 5:53:57 PM
Pinger TextFree now supports MMS. I have used the app for quite some time, and I absolutely love it! Recent enhancements include the addition of calling capabilities.

You can now use TextFree Voice in place of your regular plan minutes as well as using it's texting service to save money on native texting plans. It's one of the most useful apps out there. It can save you a lot of money.
Pinger TextFree now supports MMS. I have used the app for quite some time, and I absolutely love it! Recent enhancements include the addition of calling capabilities.

You can now use TextFree Voice in place of your regular plan minutes as well as using it's texting service to save money on native texting plans. It's one of the most useful apps out there. It can save you a lot of money.

[ Edited ]
44 of 55 (1,361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2010 6:46:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Thanks SlikRick, I didn't know about MMS.  I have used the Voice service.  It was amazingly clear!

Thanks SlikRick, I didn't know about MMS.  I have used the Voice service.  It was amazingly clear!

45 of 55 (1,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2010 7:03:49 PM
(0)
Professor
TextFree is off the chain!

I am amazed that more people aren't using it.

TextFree is off the chain!

I am amazed that more people aren't using it.

46 of 55 (1,342 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2011 8:23:54 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi

I'm confused as the same has been happening to me. Got a text saying I was almost at the end of my plan.

I just looked at the data used for the past week and it shows all kinds but I made sure I didn't use anything.

I've read thru here and I can't find how to turn off 3G and the data plan. Now if I do that can I still use wi-fi on the phone?  I'm new to an iphone and got lots to learn about it. Thanks for all your help and sorry if this ? has been asked and answered before.

Hi

I'm confused as the same has been happening to me. Got a text saying I was almost at the end of my plan.

I just looked at the data used for the past week and it shows all kinds but I made sure I didn't use anything.

I've read thru here and I can't find how to turn off 3G and the data plan. Now if I do that can I still use wi-fi on the phone?  I'm new to an iphone and got lots to learn about it. Thanks for all your help and sorry if this ? has been asked and answered before.

47 of 55 (1,267 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2011 9:06:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

mainegal wrote:

Hi

Go to Settings>General>Network and switch Cellular Data to Off.  You will still have the data plan, but you should not use any data if you take the steps above.  I hope that this helps.

mainegal wrote:

Hi

Go to Settings>General>Network and switch Cellular Data to Off.  You will still have the data plan, but you should not use any data if you take the steps above.  I hope that this helps.

48 of 55 (1,253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2011 9:23:36 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks, will do that.

Thanks, will do that.

49 of 55 (1,235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2011 1:25:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Well, a week on vacation with constand data use (mostly email,  uploading status & photos to facebook, and reading news/web serfing) all on 3G, on three iPhone4s... and the results are

iPhone #1 - less than 100MB used

iPhone #2 - less than 50MB used

iPhone #3 - 1.1GB used.

#3 did two things differently:

1) installed a couple apps, and updated 10 apps via the app store, and

2) watched four hours of Netflix

So, no surprizes there. 2GB plans all around, so no worries.

Well, a week on vacation with constand data use (mostly email,  uploading status & photos to facebook, and reading news/web serfing) all on 3G, on three iPhone4s... and the results are

iPhone #1 - less than 100MB used

iPhone #2 - less than 50MB used

iPhone #3 - 1.1GB used.

#3 did two things differently:

1) installed a couple apps, and updated 10 apps via the app store, and

2) watched four hours of Netflix

So, no surprizes there. 2GB plans all around, so no worries.

50 of 55 (1,203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 11:46:34 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi All,

Happy New Year! I have a question that I cannot seem to find the answer to. When using textfree by pinger how much bandwith is used? Is it a set amount of bandwith when the app is downloaded? or does it use your data plan every time you text? I am just worried because I am going to be getting a new data plan (either 200mb or 2gb) and I worry about relying of textfree and it causing me to go over my data plan. Any advice/answers would be greatly appreciated!

Hi All,

Happy New Year! I have a question that I cannot seem to find the answer to. When using textfree by pinger how much bandwith is used? Is it a set amount of bandwith when the app is downloaded? or does it use your data plan every time you text? I am just worried because I am going to be getting a new data plan (either 200mb or 2gb) and I worry about relying of textfree and it causing me to go over my data plan. Any advice/answers would be greatly appreciated!

Textfree data usage???

51 of 55 (1,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 11:50:16 AM
(0)
Professor

Pingfree or any other app that sends text messages (with the exception of the iPhone app) utilizes your data connection. 

IF you are connected to WiFi when sending/receiving, there is little to worry about.  If you are only on the cellular connection, you should not have much of a concern. 

Texting utilizes very, very little data, maybe a couple of kb per text.

Pingfree or any other app that sends text messages (with the exception of the iPhone app) utilizes your data connection. 

IF you are connected to WiFi when sending/receiving, there is little to worry about.  If you are only on the cellular connection, you should not have much of a concern. 

Texting utilizes very, very little data, maybe a couple of kb per text.

Re: Textfree data usage???

52 of 55 (1,890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 11:55:59 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks so much for your response! Just to clarify do you think I will be okay when having a 2gb data plan, being a heavy texter and using textfree through the dataplan for at least part of the day, every day? I will use wifi when I can but there is no wifi in my office.

Thanks so much for your response! Just to clarify do you think I will be okay when having a 2gb data plan, being a heavy texter and using textfree through the dataplan for at least part of the day, every day? I will use wifi when I can but there is no wifi in my office.

53 of 55 (1,884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 2:09:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

A text message is at most 160 characters. Let's go crazy and assume they use a really horrible 512 byte block for each message. We chose that because then ever two texts uses 1KB

1 MB is 1000KB (I know, some of you are screaming 1024)

So 1MB would be 2000 text messages

So, a 200MB plan could, in theory, exchange 400,000 text message via the internet. This would be via something like textfree or google voice (which is also free, and works well, and has an app) - granted there are several simplifactions in that number, but you can figure .25-.5 million/month would be needed to get anywhere near 200MB.

I doubt you can type nearly half a million text messages a month without wearing off your fingertips Smiley Happy

A text message is at most 160 characters. Let's go crazy and assume they use a really horrible 512 byte block for each message. We chose that because then ever two texts uses 1KB

1 MB is 1000KB (I know, some of you are screaming 1024)

So 1MB would be 2000 text messages

So, a 200MB plan could, in theory, exchange 400,000 text message via the internet. This would be via something like textfree or google voice (which is also free, and works well, and has an app) - granted there are several simplifactions in that number, but you can figure .25-.5 million/month would be needed to get anywhere near 200MB.

I doubt you can type nearly half a million text messages a month without wearing off your fingertips Smiley Happy

54 of 55 (1,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2011 6:05:28 PM
(0)
Mentor

wow, after reading all the complaints i am not going to drop the grandfathered unlimited plan we have. two iphones at 60 a month extra just to use them half the time is better than getting the shaft when we do use it. i had a little over 3gb data last month, glad i have unlimited. maybe if you talk to a rep that is having a good day and explain that you did not want the unlimited removed and it was a misunderstanding they may add it back. i have heard of this but lucky have not had to deal with it.

wow, after reading all the complaints i am not going to drop the grandfathered unlimited plan we have. two iphones at 60 a month extra just to use them half the time is better than getting the shaft when we do use it. i had a little over 3gb data last month, glad i have unlimited. maybe if you talk to a rep that is having a good day and explain that you did not want the unlimited removed and it was a misunderstanding they may add it back. i have heard of this but lucky have not had to deal with it.

55 of 55 (1,761 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments