Helpful Links

DATA USE CANNOT BE RIGHT!!!!!!

Tutor

DATA USE CANNOT BE RIGHT!!!!!!

There is NO way.  Not a chance in { word filter evasion }  that the data use on my wife's phone is correct.  Through 20 days of our billing cycle she had used 61 MB of data.  She is a light user.  No facebook or anything like that.  Yesterday, in ONE day, she is showing as used 521 MB!!!!!  In one day?!?!?!?!?!  I am a heavy user and have only used a little more than 400MB the whole month.  Oh, and the day and time of the use was yesterday at 10:44 AM.  While she was home....on WiFi!  Can anyone explain how this is not AT&T overcharging data to bust you over your data plan?  Smells like a potential class action to me.  I really wish I had kept my unlimited plan.  When we were on Blackberrys, We never used more than 160MB of data in a month (we were on the unlimited plan).  Since upgrading to the iPhone 4 I have had to upgrade to the 2 GB plan but she has been fine.  No way this is right.  no possible way.

Message 1 of 55
Master

Re: DATA USE CANNOT BE RIGHT!!!!!!

Does she have any new apps?  reboot her iPhone - Hold the home key and the on/off switch for 8 to 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo.  Something may be stuck trying to communicate with the internet?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 55
ACE - Master

Read the threads,  just being at home doesn't mean her iPhone has been using the wifi.  When the phone goes into standby mode, it turns the wifi off, and any data usage it may have then will be using the cell data.

With data usage that large in one day, I would suggest that you go to the AT&T OLAM web site at: https://www.att.com/olam/dashboardAction.olamexecute and look at the data usage details to see what date/time the usage supposedly happened to get a better idea if it was a hung process that kept re-trying, or if it was something else,  like a one-time event.  It kinda sounds to me like it might have been the "diagnostic data" issue that has been discussed a number of times.

I can also tell you that a Blackberry wil use much less data than an iPhone.  When my wife replaced her Blackberry with my old iPhone 3G, her data usage almost doubled, and she almost never had a month over 225MB on her Blackberry.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 55
Tutor

This doesn't really tell me what's going on....

12/0710:44 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent533873KB
Message 4 of 55
Master

lt2e3 wrote:

Looks like a video or streaming music?

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Message 5 of 55
Tutor

It's my wife's phone.  She doesn't really do a lot with data on it.  The kids play with it, but they were at school.  At the time shown, she confirmed that she was home (where she would have been on WiFi).  She didn't download anything but may possibly have been playing a bubble popper app.  Again, she was home.  Didn't download anything, doesn't stream music.  She simply doesn't use data! 

I spoke to AT&T Customer "Dis"service which as expected was a useless waste of time.  They can't confirm anything other than that their records show a 521MB use of 3G.  We can't prove that we didn't use it.  I'm truly at a loss and there is no way possible that it could have been a system glitch.  But it's our word against their system's data.  Had I known then what I know now I would have kept my grandfathered Unlimited data plan. 

So knowing that she didnt watch a video nor did she stream any music, any thoughts on what would cause a substantial hit like this?  It's common sense that shows me there is a problem here that AT&T isn't seeing.  For someone to use a total of 61MB in 20 days to suddenly use 521MB, that should raise a red flag.  Something isn't right here.

Message 6 of 55
Professor

lt2e3 wrote:

Also keep in mind that the date and time reflected in OLAM and on your bill does not mean that the usage occurred at that time.

Data usage reports can be delayed up to 72 hrs from the actual usage.  It could also be a "roll up" of usage over a period of time.

Data billing is not designed or intended to tell you how you used the data, only that the data was used.

Just because your wife was at home at the time the OLAM reports the data usage, she could have been anywhere within the previous 72hrs when the data was used.

Unfortunately, it is ultimately your word against the system.

Message 7 of 55
Master

Not trying to argue with you but just point out what it could be.  Keep in mind that there might be a delay in data usage vs when it was reported?  You indicated that your kids use the phone...  Could also be some app downloads?  At that rate, it would have to be a few as downloads on 3G are limited to smaller apps so I would doubt this one...

I do not think ATT is smart enough to cause a spike in data usage to get more money from you.  If they were, the issue while not unique to you, does not apear to be across the board either. 

One other thought, does she have any Chat applications on her phone that might be running in the background such as Microsoft Messenger or AOL? 

Just trying to help you isolate the issue outside of the emotion.

I DO NOT WORK FOR ATT!

Message 8 of 55
Tutor

Exactly....AKA, { Inappropriate comment removed }  customer.

Message 9 of 55
Tutor

youngjm wrote:

Not trying to argue with you but just point out what it could be.  Keep in mind that there might be a delay in data usage vs when it was reported?  You indicated that your kids use the phone...  Could also be some app downloads?  At that rate, it would have to be a few as downloads on 3G are limited to smaller apps so I would doubt this one...

I do not think ATT is smart enough to cause a spike in data usage to get more money from you.  If they were, the issue while not unique to you, does not apear to be across the board either. 

One other thought, does she have any Chat applications on her phone that might be running in the background such as Microsoft Messenger or AOL? 

Just trying to help you isolate the issue outside of the emotion.

I DO NOT WORK FOR ATT!

Haha!  Thanks.  I'm not arguing with you, I'm just frustrated with the situation.  I really think that if it were the kids I would have seen this issue beforehand.  She does have yahoo IM on her phone that she uses to chat with a friend w/o a cell (whom I have told repeatedly to IM to her phone so it counts as txt!).  IDK.  Doesn't seem right to have a sudden spike like that.  But I do recall the kids using youtube a couple days ago while not on WiFi (I yelled at them for it!).  Possible that it was that and it's just showing up well after the fact?  I don't recall what day it was that this happened though.

Message 10 of 55
Master

No problem,  You did indicate two data usage items that could cause this.  Youtube and IM.  You may want to run the numbers and figure out if SMS vs Data is cheaper based on your wifes expected usage???????

Message 11 of 55
Expert

youngjm wrote:

No problem,  You did indicate two data usage items that could cause this.  Youtube and IM.  You may want to run the numbers and figure out if SMS vs Data is cheaper based on your wifes expected usage???????

another thing to remember, streaming audio is also data, so listen to pandora and you are consuming data.

Message 12 of 55
ACE - Expert

For what it is worth, I just spent a month purposely trying to use 3G data as much as possible and comparing the iphone's usage statistics to what showed in My Wireless. I did a lot of video and audio streaming daily. I reset the phone's usage statistics at 10:30 on the day my bill started a new cycle, so at the time my phone showed zero, My Wireless showed .5mb. However, from that point on I recorded what the phone usage showed and what My Wireless showed on a daily basis and in every case, the phone showed higher usage than My Wireless.  How close they were depended on how long it was from my last major data usage to when I checked My Wireless (i.e. the expected accounting delay).

As noted by others, the time shown on the individual data entries on My Wireless do not necessarily match when the data was actually downloaded. For example, I would stream Pandora while commuting to work in the morning from approx 6:40 until 7:25. On one day in My Wireless, it showed up as 16,808KB sent at 8:12. At least for me, my conclusion was that what the phone shows and what My Wireless shows match.

I know some people believe they are being charged for data when on wifi but I also verified during this time that when on wifi, neither the phone's usage statistics nor My Wireless recorded any of that data.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 13 of 55
Mentor

sandblaster wrote:

I know some people believe they are being charged for data when on wifi but I also verified during this time that when on wifi, neither the phone's usage statistics nor My Wireless recorded any of that data.

Thanks for your comments, sandblaster.  One question: how do I prevent my iPhone from going into 3G mode (while using wi-fi) when the phone goes into Sleep Mode?  Do I need to put Sleep Mode to "Never" in the Settings area?  If so, won't being in non-sleep mode use much battery power, since the screen will always be on?  Help!!

And thanks again.

Message 14 of 55
Professor

it won't drop wifi if plugged into ac, and it won't use 3G data if you turn off 3g data in settings

Message 15 of 55
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support