Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 8, 2010
6:46:54 AM
View profile
DATA USE CANNOT BE RIGHT!!!!!!
Edited by lt2e3 on Dec 8, 2010 at 7:06:08 AM

There is NO way.  Not a chance in { word filter evasion }  that the data use on my wife's phone is correct.  Through 20 days of our billing cycle she had used 61 MB of data.  She is a light user.  No facebook or anything like that.  Yesterday, in ONE day, she is showing as used 521 MB!!!!!  In one day?!?!?!?!?!  I am a heavy user and have only used a little more than 400MB the whole month.  Oh, and the day and time of the use was yesterday at 10:44 AM.  While she was home....on WiFi!  Can anyone explain how this is not AT&T overcharging data to bust you over your data plan?  Smells like a potential class action to me.  I really wish I had kept my unlimited plan.  When we were on Blackberrys, We never used more than 160MB of data in a month (we were on the unlimited plan).  Since upgrading to the iPhone 4 I have had to upgrade to the 2 GB plan but she has been fine.  No way this is right.  no possible way.

There is NO way.  Not a chance in { word filter evasion }  that the data use on my wife's phone is correct.  Through 20 days of our billing cycle she had used 61 MB of data.  She is a light user.  No facebook or anything like that.  Yesterday, in ONE day, she is showing as used 521 MB!!!!!  In one day?!?!?!?!?!  I am a heavy user and have only used a little more than 400MB the whole month.  Oh, and the day and time of the use was yesterday at 10:44 AM.  While she was home....on WiFi!  Can anyone explain how this is not AT&T overcharging data to bust you over your data plan?  Smells like a potential class action to me.  I really wish I had kept my unlimited plan.  When we were on Blackberrys, We never used more than 160MB of data in a month (we were on the unlimited plan).  Since upgrading to the iPhone 4 I have had to upgrade to the 2 GB plan but she has been fine.  No way this is right.  no possible way.

DATA USE CANNOT BE RIGHT!!!!!!

[ Edited ]
54 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(54)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 6:53:53 AM
(0)
Master

Does she have any new apps?  reboot her iPhone - Hold the home key and the on/off switch for 8 to 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo.  Something may be stuck trying to communicate with the internet?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Does she have any new apps?  reboot her iPhone - Hold the home key and the on/off switch for 8 to 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo.  Something may be stuck trying to communicate with the internet?

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: DATA USE CANNOT BE RIGHT!!!!!!

2 of 55 (3,055 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 8:29:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Read the threads,  just being at home doesn't mean her iPhone has been using the wifi.  When the phone goes into standby mode, it turns the wifi off, and any data usage it may have then will be using the cell data.

With data usage that large in one day, I would suggest that you go to the AT&T OLAM web site at: https://www.att.com/olam/dashboardAction.olamexecute and look at the data usage details to see what date/time the usage supposedly happened to get a better idea if it was a hung process that kept re-trying, or if it was something else,  like a one-time event.  It kinda sounds to me like it might have been the "diagnostic data" issue that has been discussed a number of times.

I can also tell you that a Blackberry wil use much less data than an iPhone.  When my wife replaced her Blackberry with my old iPhone 3G, her data usage almost doubled, and she almost never had a month over 225MB on her Blackberry.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Read the threads,  just being at home doesn't mean her iPhone has been using the wifi.  When the phone goes into standby mode, it turns the wifi off, and any data usage it may have then will be using the cell data.

With data usage that large in one day, I would suggest that you go to the AT&T OLAM web site at: https://www.att.com/olam/dashboardAction.olamexecute and look at the data usage details to see what date/time the usage supposedly happened to get a better idea if it was a hung process that kept re-trying, or if it was something else,  like a one-time event.  It kinda sounds to me like it might have been the "diagnostic data" issue that has been discussed a number of times.

I can also tell you that a Blackberry wil use much less data than an iPhone.  When my wife replaced her Blackberry with my old iPhone 3G, her data usage almost doubled, and she almost never had a month over 225MB on her Blackberry.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 55 (2,997 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 8:53:48 AM
(0)
Tutor

This doesn't really tell me what's going on....

12/0710:44 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent533873KB

4 of 55 (2,980 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 9:40:40 AM
(0)
Master

lt2e3 wrote:

Looks like a video or streaming music?

lt2e3 wrote:

Looks like a video or streaming music?

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

5 of 55 (2,953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 10:34:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

It's my wife's phone.  She doesn't really do a lot with data on it.  The kids play with it, but they were at school.  At the time shown, she confirmed that she was home (where she would have been on WiFi).  She didn't download anything but may possibly have been playing a bubble popper app.  Again, she was home.  Didn't download anything, doesn't stream music.  She simply doesn't use data! 

I spoke to AT&T Customer "Dis"service which as expected was a useless waste of time.  They can't confirm anything other than that their records show a 521MB use of 3G.  We can't prove that we didn't use it.  I'm truly at a loss and there is no way possible that it could have been a system glitch.  But it's our word against their system's data.  Had I known then what I know now I would have kept my grandfathered Unlimited data plan. 

So knowing that she didnt watch a video nor did she stream any music, any thoughts on what would cause a substantial hit like this?  It's common sense that shows me there is a problem here that AT&T isn't seeing.  For someone to use a total of 61MB in 20 days to suddenly use 521MB, that should raise a red flag.  Something isn't right here.

It's my wife's phone.  She doesn't really do a lot with data on it.  The kids play with it, but they were at school.  At the time shown, she confirmed that she was home (where she would have been on WiFi).  She didn't download anything but may possibly have been playing a bubble popper app.  Again, she was home.  Didn't download anything, doesn't stream music.  She simply doesn't use data! 

I spoke to AT&T Customer "Dis"service which as expected was a useless waste of time.  They can't confirm anything other than that their records show a 521MB use of 3G.  We can't prove that we didn't use it.  I'm truly at a loss and there is no way possible that it could have been a system glitch.  But it's our word against their system's data.  Had I known then what I know now I would have kept my grandfathered Unlimited data plan. 

So knowing that she didnt watch a video nor did she stream any music, any thoughts on what would cause a substantial hit like this?  It's common sense that shows me there is a problem here that AT&T isn't seeing.  For someone to use a total of 61MB in 20 days to suddenly use 521MB, that should raise a red flag.  Something isn't right here.

6 of 55 (2,930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 10:42:36 AM
(0)
Professor

lt2e3 wrote:

Also keep in mind that the date and time reflected in OLAM and on your bill does not mean that the usage occurred at that time.

Data usage reports can be delayed up to 72 hrs from the actual usage.  It could also be a "roll up" of usage over a period of time.

Data billing is not designed or intended to tell you how you used the data, only that the data was used.

Just because your wife was at home at the time the OLAM reports the data usage, she could have been anywhere within the previous 72hrs when the data was used.

Unfortunately, it is ultimately your word against the system.

lt2e3 wrote:

Also keep in mind that the date and time reflected in OLAM and on your bill does not mean that the usage occurred at that time.

Data usage reports can be delayed up to 72 hrs from the actual usage.  It could also be a "roll up" of usage over a period of time.

Data billing is not designed or intended to tell you how you used the data, only that the data was used.

Just because your wife was at home at the time the OLAM reports the data usage, she could have been anywhere within the previous 72hrs when the data was used.

Unfortunately, it is ultimately your word against the system.

7 of 55 (2,914 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 10:45:02 AM
(0)
Master

Not trying to argue with you but just point out what it could be.  Keep in mind that there might be a delay in data usage vs when it was reported?  You indicated that your kids use the phone...  Could also be some app downloads?  At that rate, it would have to be a few as downloads on 3G are limited to smaller apps so I would doubt this one...

I do not think ATT is smart enough to cause a spike in data usage to get more money from you.  If they were, the issue while not unique to you, does not apear to be across the board either. 

One other thought, does she have any Chat applications on her phone that might be running in the background such as Microsoft Messenger or AOL? 

Just trying to help you isolate the issue outside of the emotion.

I DO NOT WORK FOR ATT!

Not trying to argue with you but just point out what it could be.  Keep in mind that there might be a delay in data usage vs when it was reported?  You indicated that your kids use the phone...  Could also be some app downloads?  At that rate, it would have to be a few as downloads on 3G are limited to smaller apps so I would doubt this one...

I do not think ATT is smart enough to cause a spike in data usage to get more money from you.  If they were, the issue while not unique to you, does not apear to be across the board either. 

One other thought, does she have any Chat applications on her phone that might be running in the background such as Microsoft Messenger or AOL? 

I DO NOT WORK FOR ATT!

8 of 55 (2,914 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 10:45:56 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by lt2e3 on Dec 8, 2010 at 10:48:09 AM

Exactly....AKA, { Inappropriate comment removed }  customer.

Exactly....AKA, { Inappropriate comment removed }  customer.

[ Edited ]
9 of 55 (2,914 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 10:51:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

youngjm wrote:

I DO NOT WORK FOR ATT!

Haha!  Thanks.  I'm not arguing with you, I'm just frustrated with the situation.  I really think that if it were the kids I would have seen this issue beforehand.  She does have yahoo IM on her phone that she uses to chat with a friend w/o a cell (whom I have told repeatedly to IM to her phone so it counts as txt!).  IDK.  Doesn't seem right to have a sudden spike like that.  But I do recall the kids using youtube a couple days ago while not on WiFi (I yelled at them for it!).  Possible that it was that and it's just showing up well after the fact?  I don't recall what day it was that this happened though.

youngjm wrote:

I DO NOT WORK FOR ATT!

Haha!  Thanks.  I'm not arguing with you, I'm just frustrated with the situation.  I really think that if it were the kids I would have seen this issue beforehand.  She does have yahoo IM on her phone that she uses to chat with a friend w/o a cell (whom I have told repeatedly to IM to her phone so it counts as txt!).  IDK.  Doesn't seem right to have a sudden spike like that.  But I do recall the kids using youtube a couple days ago while not on WiFi (I yelled at them for it!).  Possible that it was that and it's just showing up well after the fact?  I don't recall what day it was that this happened though.

10 of 55 (2,899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 11:07:02 AM
(0)
Master

No problem,  You did indicate two data usage items that could cause this.  Youtube and IM.  You may want to run the numbers and figure out if SMS vs Data is cheaper based on your wifes expected usage???????

No problem,  You did indicate two data usage items that could cause this.  Youtube and IM.  You may want to run the numbers and figure out if SMS vs Data is cheaper based on your wifes expected usage???????

11 of 55 (2,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 11:24:44 AM
(0)
Expert

youngjm wrote:

another thing to remember, streaming audio is also data, so listen to pandora and you are consuming data.

youngjm wrote:

another thing to remember, streaming audio is also data, so listen to pandora and you are consuming data.

12 of 55 (2,100 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 1:01:07 PM
(0)
Former Employee

For what it is worth, I just spent a month purposely trying to use 3G data as much as possible and comparing the iphone's usage statistics to what showed in My Wireless. I did a lot of video and audio streaming daily. I reset the phone's usage statistics at 10:30 on the day my bill started a new cycle, so at the time my phone showed zero, My Wireless showed .5mb. However, from that point on I recorded what the phone usage showed and what My Wireless showed on a daily basis and in every case, the phone showed higher usage than My Wireless.  How close they were depended on how long it was from my last major data usage to when I checked My Wireless (i.e. the expected accounting delay).

As noted by others, the time shown on the individual data entries on My Wireless do not necessarily match when the data was actually downloaded. For example, I would stream Pandora while commuting to work in the morning from approx 6:40 until 7:25. On one day in My Wireless, it showed up as 16,808KB sent at 8:12. At least for me, my conclusion was that what the phone shows and what My Wireless shows match.

I know some people believe they are being charged for data when on wifi but I also verified during this time that when on wifi, neither the phone's usage statistics nor My Wireless recorded any of that data.

For what it is worth, I just spent a month purposely trying to use 3G data as much as possible and comparing the iphone's usage statistics to what showed in My Wireless. I did a lot of video and audio streaming daily. I reset the phone's usage statistics at 10:30 on the day my bill started a new cycle, so at the time my phone showed zero, My Wireless showed .5mb. However, from that point on I recorded what the phone usage showed and what My Wireless showed on a daily basis and in every case, the phone showed higher usage than My Wireless.  How close they were depended on how long it was from my last major data usage to when I checked My Wireless (i.e. the expected accounting delay).

As noted by others, the time shown on the individual data entries on My Wireless do not necessarily match when the data was actually downloaded. For example, I would stream Pandora while commuting to work in the morning from approx 6:40 until 7:25. On one day in My Wireless, it showed up as 16,808KB sent at 8:12. At least for me, my conclusion was that what the phone shows and what My Wireless shows match.

I know some people believe they are being charged for data when on wifi but I also verified during this time that when on wifi, neither the phone's usage statistics nor My Wireless recorded any of that data.

13 of 55 (2,071 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2010 4:55:14 PM
(0)
Mentor

sandblaster wrote:

Thanks for your comments, sandblaster.  One question: how do I prevent my iPhone from going into 3G mode (while using wi-fi) when the phone goes into Sleep Mode?  Do I need to put Sleep Mode to "Never" in the Settings area?  If so, won't being in non-sleep mode use much battery power, since the screen will always be on?  Help!!

And thanks again.

sandblaster wrote:

Thanks for your comments, sandblaster.  One question: how do I prevent my iPhone from going into 3G mode (while using wi-fi) when the phone goes into Sleep Mode?  Do I need to put Sleep Mode to "Never" in the Settings area?  If so, won't being in non-sleep mode use much battery power, since the screen will always be on?  Help!!

And thanks again.

14 of 55 (1,988 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2010 5:24:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

it won't drop wifi if plugged into ac, and it won't use 3G data if you turn off 3g data in settings

it won't drop wifi if plugged into ac, and it won't use 3G data if you turn off 3g data in settings

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

15 of 55 (1,975 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 4:46:01 AM
(0)
Professor

johninsj wrote:

it won't use 3G data if you turn off 3g data in settings

While that is correct, that does not stop the device from using cellular data.

If you do not want to use any cellular data, you must turn off cellular data in Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data.

There is no 3G data setting, only a setting to turn on/off the 3G radio which reverts the device back to EDGE for data and voice.

johninsj wrote:

If you do not want to use any cellular data, you must turn off cellular data in Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data.

There is no 3G data setting, only a setting to turn on/off the 3G radio which reverts the device back to EDGE for data and voice.

16 of 55 (1,928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 5:27:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

satchev wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Right, that's what I meant. My bad.

satchev wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Right, that's what I meant. My bad.

17 of 55 (1,916 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2010 11:48:15 AM
(0)
Teacher

Install the DataMan app right now and let it warn you BEFORE you go over your limit. If it makes you feel better, you are helping make the CEO's Christmas bonus that much better.

Install the DataMan app right now and let it warn you BEFORE you go over your limit. If it makes you feel better, you are helping make the CEO's Christmas bonus that much better.

18 of 55 (1,824 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2010 2:13:29 PM
(0)
Scholar

I upgraded to iPhone 4 a few months ago. It is faster. I have and use more apps, can multi-task and since the screen resolution is so much better, I use it for many types of web browsing that I used to do on my computer. Common sense would tell me that I'd be using much more data now than before. But I'm using much less.

I don't think the iPhone 4 reverts to 3G when the phone is in sleep/lock mode, but earlier models did. I habitually listen to streaming radio when I'm at home (with wi-fi) and have for about a year. I use Facebook, email, various Google apps, and check numerous news sites.  My usage via *DATA# shows only 90MB on day 17 of 30 in the current billing period. That indicates I'll use likely less than 200MB this month. My usage with my old iPhone ranged from 400-600MB/month when I was not traveling and more when I was.

I was pretty unnerved because of huge uploads of data at the same time every night - around 2:30 a.m. AT&T couldn't explain it. I never had anything like the OP's half gigabyte on one day. 

I upgraded to iPhone 4 a few months ago. It is faster. I have and use more apps, can multi-task and since the screen resolution is so much better, I use it for many types of web browsing that I used to do on my computer. Common sense would tell me that I'd be using much more data now than before. But I'm using much less.

I don't think the iPhone 4 reverts to 3G when the phone is in sleep/lock mode, but earlier models did. I habitually listen to streaming radio when I'm at home (with wi-fi) and have for about a year. I use Facebook, email, various Google apps, and check numerous news sites.  My usage via *DATA# shows only 90MB on day 17 of 30 in the current billing period. That indicates I'll use likely less than 200MB this month. My usage with my old iPhone ranged from 400-600MB/month when I was not traveling and more when I was.

I was pretty unnerved because of huge uploads of data at the same time every night - around 2:30 a.m. AT&T couldn't explain it. I never had anything like the OP's half gigabyte on one day. 

19 of 55 (1,801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2010 9:45:21 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by erichamion on Dec 12, 2010 at 9:46:52 PM

Myrtlemaye wrote:

You can't see on your bill or myWireless account whether data was uploaded or downloaded.

The usage you see doesn't show the direction the data is moving, but whether the connection or session is inbound or outbound.  During a voice call, sound can move both to and from the phone (speaking and listening), but the call itself is received or sent depending on whether the phone initiates or receives the connection.  Similarly, during a data session, data can move both directions (uploading and downloading), but the session will always show as sent because the phone always initiates the connection.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Myrtlemaye wrote:

You can't see on your bill or myWireless account whether data was uploaded or downloaded.

The usage you see doesn't show the direction the data is moving, but whether the connection or session is inbound or outbound.  During a voice call, sound can move both to and from the phone (speaking and listening), but the call itself is received or sent depending on whether the phone initiates or receives the connection.  Similarly, during a data session, data can move both directions (uploading and downloading), but the session will always show as sent because the phone always initiates the connection.

[ Edited ]
20 of 55 (1,767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2010 6:18:24 AM
(0)
Scholar
That makes sense. You are the first person at AT&T that has had any reasonable explanation of why I had all those large chunks of data going "out." I've been asking for an explanation since the day AT&T announced a tiered data plan and I started looking closely at my usage. Thanks.
That makes sense. You are the first person at AT&T that has had any reasonable explanation of why I had all those large chunks of data going "out." I've been asking for an explanation since the day AT&T announced a tiered data plan and I started looking closely at my usage. Thanks.

21 of 55 (1,732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2010 10:29:41 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for all of your input and advice.  I made same calles to customer care and actually spoke with a rep who remembers what customer service is all about.  She was empathetic to my situation, offered alternative solutions, and agreed to speak to her supervisor about getting me back on the unlimited plan that I was eligible to grandfathered into when I upgraded to iPhone less than a month ago.  In the interim, she was able to retroactively change my wife's plan to the 2GB to eliminate the overage while the decision with her supervisor was pending.  Long story short, I have made my way back to the unlimited data plan and cross my heart so help me god, I will not ever leave it again! 

Thanks for all of your input and advice.  I made same calles to customer care and actually spoke with a rep who remembers what customer service is all about.  She was empathetic to my situation, offered alternative solutions, and agreed to speak to her supervisor about getting me back on the unlimited plan that I was eligible to grandfathered into when I upgraded to iPhone less than a month ago.  In the interim, she was able to retroactively change my wife's plan to the 2GB to eliminate the overage while the decision with her supervisor was pending.  Long story short, I have made my way back to the unlimited data plan and cross my heart so help me god, I will not ever leave it again! 

22 of 55 (1,676 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2010 11:14:24 AM
(0)
Former Employee

lt2e3 wrote:

In the interim, she was able to retroactively change my wife's plan to the 2GB to eliminate the overage while the decision with her supervisor was pending.  Long story short, I have made my way back to the unlimited data plan and cross my heart so help me god, I will not ever leave it again! 

I hope you get your unlimited data back but just FYI, the ability to retroactively change your data plan from the 200MB plan to the 2GB plan, or vice versa, is available to everyone from your MyWireless account page.

lt2e3 wrote:

In the interim, she was able to retroactively change my wife's plan to the 2GB to eliminate the overage while the decision with her supervisor was pending.  Long story short, I have made my way back to the unlimited data plan and cross my heart so help me god, I will not ever leave it again! 

I hope you get your unlimited data back but just FYI, the ability to retroactively change your data plan from the 200MB plan to the 2GB plan, or vice versa, is available to everyone from your MyWireless account page.

23 of 55 (1,664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2010 11:44:48 AM
(0)
Tutor

I did indeed get my unlimited back.  And as for the retro data, the first rep I spoke to said it couldn't be done retroactively.  Sounds like someone needs remedial training!

I did indeed get my unlimited back.  And as for the retro data, the first rep I spoke to said it couldn't be done retroactively.  Sounds like someone needs remedial training!

24 of 55 (1,648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2010 2:19:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

lt2e3 wrote:

According to company policy, once you are off the unlimited plan, you can't have it back.  Based on that, the first rep did no wrong.  You ust managed to get lucky to find a rep that was willing to break company policy to make you happy.  Which one needs remdial training?  The one who followed company policy rules, but made you unhappy or the one which violated company policy rules but made you happy?

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

lt2e3 wrote:

According to company policy, once you are off the unlimited plan, you can't have it back.  Based on that, the first rep did no wrong.  You ust managed to get lucky to find a rep that was willing to break company policy to make you happy.  Which one needs remdial training?  The one who followed company policy rules, but made you unhappy or the one which violated company policy rules but made you happy?

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

25 of 55 (1,621 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2010 2:43:42 PM
(0)
Tutor

GeekBoy wrote:

lt2e3 wrote:

I truly hope you don't work for AT&T.  And if you do, I hope it's not in a customer facing role.  Your attention to detail appears to be lacking.  If you had actually read my response, the remedial training was in regard to my ability to upgrade to the 2GB plan retroactively and thus eliminate the overage.  The first rep I spoke to told me that would not be possible when in fact it was. 

I can appreciate company policy and a rep's ability or lack thereof to make exceptions to policy.  The rep I spoke to did not violate company policy.  Her supervisor used override capability to put me back on the unlimited plan.  I would guess you are not management since you appear to lack the ability to see things outside the box and understand that there are times when exceptions to the rules can be and should be made.  Management is given that ability to make exceptions to policy.

There is a distinct difference between a Customer Service Rep and a Company Figurehead.  You see, a figurehead can spout off policy and make judgements about others, point out what is wrong with everyone else, and is likely someone who is putting in time at a job.  A CSR has the ability to empathize with customers issues and use judgement on when and when not to elevate an issue to the next level.  I should point out that I did not demand a supervisor.  I merely pointed out that someone using 60MB in 20 days to suddenly use 521MB should be a red flag. 

So, the rep that needs remedial training would be the one who told me i could not do the 2GB plan retroactively when I could.  The rep who should be commended and used as a model for service is the one who took the time to address the issue.  My position would be the same had she called back and told me that I couldn't have the unlimited data plan back but only the 2GB.  Because she took the time to understand the situation and to attempt to serve the customer.  This is the type of person who should advance within the AT&T organization.  Take some time and watch some episodes of Undercover Boss.  You will see how important customer impact can be to an organization and see what type of person is successful.

GeekBoy wrote:

lt2e3 wrote:

I truly hope you don't work for AT&T.  And if you do, I hope it's not in a customer facing role.  Your attention to detail appears to be lacking.  If you had actually read my response, the remedial training was in regard to my ability to upgrade to the 2GB plan retroactively and thus eliminate the overage.  The first rep I spoke to told me that would not be possible when in fact it was. 

I can appreciate company policy and a rep's ability or lack thereof to make exceptions to policy.  The rep I spoke to did not violate company policy.  Her supervisor used override capability to put me back on the unlimited plan.  I would guess you are not management since you appear to lack the ability to see things outside the box and understand that there are times when exceptions to the rules can be and should be made.  Management is given that ability to make exceptions to policy.

There is a distinct difference between a Customer Service Rep and a Company Figurehead.  You see, a figurehead can spout off policy and make judgements about others, point out what is wrong with everyone else, and is likely someone who is putting in time at a job.  A CSR has the ability to empathize with customers issues and use judgement on when and when not to elevate an issue to the next level.  I should point out that I did not demand a supervisor.  I merely pointed out that someone using 60MB in 20 days to suddenly use 521MB should be a red flag. 

So, the rep that needs remedial training would be the one who told me i could not do the 2GB plan retroactively when I could.  The rep who should be commended and used as a model for service is the one who took the time to address the issue.  My position would be the same had she called back and told me that I couldn't have the unlimited data plan back but only the 2GB.  Because she took the time to understand the situation and to attempt to serve the customer.  This is the type of person who should advance within the AT&T organization.  Take some time and watch some episodes of Undercover Boss.  You will see how important customer impact can be to an organization and see what type of person is successful.

26 of 55 (1,633 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2010 3:42:53 PM
(0)
Mentor

lt2e3 wrote:

....  Your attention to detail appears to be lacking.  If you had actually read my response.....

Yes, there's lot of that on these forums: trying to get a direct, accurate response to a query.  The English language is slowly dying.  All Hail MTV.

Anyway, I've been lucky with AT&T Customer Service Reps.  Several have gone out of their usual zone to truly please customers, like me!  Even got a few freebies -- after buying 2 iPhone 4s.  Imagine!

lt2e3 wrote:

....  Your attention to detail appears to be lacking.  If you had actually read my response.....

Yes, there's lot of that on these forums: trying to get a direct, accurate response to a query.  The English language is slowly dying.  All Hail MTV.

Anyway, I've been lucky with AT&T Customer Service Reps.  Several have gone out of their usual zone to truly please customers, like me!  Even got a few freebies -- after buying 2 iPhone 4s.  Imagine!

27 of 55 (1,619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2010 10:22:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

EWynett wrote:

lt2e3 wrote:

To be honest, with the way whiners react when they don't get the answer they want to hear,  I'm surprised that people even volunteer their efforts to try to answer questions on thes forums.  You might be amazed how many people are here trying to help and get crap from people because they miss one little thing or say something wrong.  People attempting to answer questions here are not paid to do that, they are doing so of their own kindness and efforts.  Many are quick to judge them for a mistake, but few are willing to thank them for the helpful advise or knowledge.  It's quite amazing how many still come back and try to help...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

EWynett wrote:

lt2e3 wrote:

To be honest, with the way whiners react when they don't get the answer they want to hear,  I'm surprised that people even volunteer their efforts to try to answer questions on thes forums.  You might be amazed how many people are here trying to help and get crap from people because they miss one little thing or say something wrong.  People attempting to answer questions here are not paid to do that, they are doing so of their own kindness and efforts.  Many are quick to judge them for a mistake, but few are willing to thank them for the helpful advise or knowledge.  It's quite amazing how many still come back and try to help...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

28 of 55 (1,591 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2010 3:25:41 AM
(0)
Contributor

Did you ever figure out why there was a sudden spike in data usage? The same thing has happened to me. The past four months I have not gone over 200mb. Suddenly, in one day - there is a huge spike and overage. No explanation. I was home with wireless. 

My data usage info on-line lists data use by hour, then suddenly, two days in a row, a huge data usage at midnight. I did just upgrade to 4.1 and think perhaps that has something to do with it? Again - this is not a normal occurrence, no unusual usage on my part. It almost feels like malware....

Did you ever figure out why there was a sudden spike in data usage? The same thing has happened to me. The past four months I have not gone over 200mb. Suddenly, in one day - there is a huge spike and overage. No explanation. I was home with wireless. 

My data usage info on-line lists data use by hour, then suddenly, two days in a row, a huge data usage at midnight. I did just upgrade to 4.1 and think perhaps that has something to do with it? Again - this is not a normal occurrence, no unusual usage on my part. It almost feels like malware....

29 of 55 (1,520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2010 12:40:01 AM
(0)
Tutor

Just happened to me.  I got a text saying that I had gone over 200MB and was being charged another $15.00.  I looked at my account online and saw this:

12/22   11:48 PM   phone  Internet/MEdia Net   Sent  90498KB

As someone who uses WiFi at home, I thought that 200MB would be fine.  But I never expected half of it to be blown away with phantom usage in the middle of the night.

I've read the "explanations" from AT&T employees above, and frankly they don't make any logical sense.  What a rip.

Just happened to me.  I got a text saying that I had gone over 200MB and was being charged another $15.00.  I looked at my account online and saw this:

12/22   11:48 PM   phone  Internet/MEdia Net   Sent  90498KB

As someone who uses WiFi at home, I thought that 200MB would be fine.  But I never expected half of it to be blown away with phantom usage in the middle of the night.

I've read the "explanations" from AT&T employees above, and frankly they don't make any logical sense.  What a rip.

30 of 55 (1,371 Views)