DATA USE CANNOT BE RIGHT!!!!!!

Tutor

DATA USE CANNOT BE RIGHT!!!!!!

[ Edited ]

There is NO way.  Not a chance in { word filter evasion }  that the data use on my wife's phone is correct.  Through 20 days of our billing cycle she had used 61 MB of data.  She is a light user.  No facebook or anything like that.  Yesterday, in ONE day, she is showing as used 521 MB!!!!!  In one day?!?!?!?!?!  I am a heavy user and have only used a little more than 400MB the whole month.  Oh, and the day and time of the use was yesterday at 10:44 AM.  While she was home....on WiFi!  Can anyone explain how this is not AT&T overcharging data to bust you over your data plan?  Smells like a potential class action to me.  I really wish I had kept my unlimited plan.  When we were on Blackberrys, We never used more than 160MB of data in a month (we were on the unlimited plan).  Since upgrading to the iPhone 4 I have had to upgrade to the 2 GB plan but she has been fine.  No way this is right.  no possible way.

Message 1 of 55 (3,810 Views)
Professor

Re: DATA USE CANNOT BE RIGHT!!!!!!

TextFree is off the chain!

I am amazed that more people aren't using it.

Message 46 of 55 (1,692 Views)
Contributor

Hi

I'm confused as the same has been happening to me. Got a text saying I was almost at the end of my plan.

I just looked at the data used for the past week and it shows all kinds but I made sure I didn't use anything.

I've read thru here and I can't find how to turn off 3G and the data plan. Now if I do that can I still use wi-fi on the phone?  I'm new to an iphone and got lots to learn about it. Thanks for all your help and sorry if this ? has been asked and answered before.

Message 47 of 55 (1,617 Views)
Professor

mainegal wrote:

Hi

I'm confused as the same has been happening to me. Got a text saying I was almost at the end of my plan.

I just looked at the data used for the past week and it shows all kinds but I made sure I didn't use anything.

I've read thru here and I can't find how to turn off 3G and the data plan. Now if I do that can I still use wi-fi on the phone?  I'm new to an iphone and got lots to learn about it. Thanks for all your help and sorry if this ? has been asked and answered before.

Go to Settings>General>Network and switch Cellular Data to Off.  You will still have the data plan, but you should not use any data if you take the steps above.  I hope that this helps.

Message 48 of 55 (1,603 Views)
Contributor

Thanks, will do that.

Message 49 of 55 (1,585 Views)
ACE - Professor

Well, a week on vacation with constand data use (mostly email,  uploading status & photos to facebook, and reading news/web serfing) all on 3G, on three iPhone4s... and the results are

iPhone #1 - less than 100MB used

iPhone #2 - less than 50MB used

iPhone #3 - 1.1GB used.

#3 did two things differently:

1) installed a couple apps, and updated 10 apps via the app store, and

2) watched four hours of Netflix

So, no surprizes there. 2GB plans all around, so no worries.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 50 of 55 (1,553 Views)
Contributor

Textfree data usage???

Hi All,

Happy New Year! I have a question that I cannot seem to find the answer to. When using textfree by pinger how much bandwith is used? Is it a set amount of bandwith when the app is downloaded? or does it use your data plan every time you text? I am just worried because I am going to be getting a new data plan (either 200mb or 2gb) and I worry about relying of textfree and it causing me to go over my data plan. Any advice/answers would be greatly appreciated!

Message 51 of 55 (2,247 Views)
Professor

Re: Textfree data usage???

Pingfree or any other app that sends text messages (with the exception of the iPhone app) utilizes your data connection. 

IF you are connected to WiFi when sending/receiving, there is little to worry about.  If you are only on the cellular connection, you should not have much of a concern. 

Texting utilizes very, very little data, maybe a couple of kb per text.

Message 52 of 55 (2,240 Views)
Contributor

Thanks so much for your response! Just to clarify do you think I will be okay when having a 2gb data plan, being a heavy texter and using textfree through the dataplan for at least part of the day, every day? I will use wifi when I can but there is no wifi in my office.

Message 53 of 55 (2,234 Views)
ACE - Professor

A text message is at most 160 characters. Let's go crazy and assume they use a really horrible 512 byte block for each message. We chose that because then ever two texts uses 1KB

1 MB is 1000KB (I know, some of you are screaming 1024)

So 1MB would be 2000 text messages

So, a 200MB plan could, in theory, exchange 400,000 text message via the internet. This would be via something like textfree or google voice (which is also free, and works well, and has an app) - granted there are several simplifactions in that number, but you can figure .25-.5 million/month would be needed to get anywhere near 200MB.

I doubt you can type nearly half a million text messages a month without wearing off your fingertips Smiley Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 54 of 55 (2,205 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

wow, after reading all the complaints i am not going to drop the grandfathered unlimited plan we have. two iphones at 60 a month extra just to use them half the time is better than getting the shaft when we do use it. i had a little over 3gb data last month, glad i have unlimited. maybe if you talk to a rep that is having a good day and explain that you did not want the unlimited removed and it was a misunderstanding they may add it back. i have heard of this but lucky have not had to deal with it.

Message 55 of 55 (2,111 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support