Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 26, 2012
12:50:39 PM
D/L Apps beyond 20mb limit

Is there a way to download an apps in the app store w/ more than 20mb limit w/o using itunes or wifi? b/c its much faster if i use the cellular data.. TIA

Is there a way to download an apps in the app store w/ more than 20mb limit w/o using itunes or wifi? b/c its much faster if i use the cellular data.. TIA

D/L Apps beyond 20mb limit

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2012 3:32:05 PM
(0)
Expert

coolrhyme wrote:

beleive that is a limitation that Apple has built into the IOS, so unles you utilize a alternate method of getting the phone to do things that Apple blocks - nope

coolrhyme wrote:

beleive that is a limitation that Apple has built into the IOS, so unles you utilize a alternate method of getting the phone to do things that Apple blocks - nope

Re: D/L Apps beyond 20mb limit

2 of 14 (426 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2012 7:36:08 PM
(0)
Master
Apple placed this limit to avoid excessive use of cellular data for larger downloads.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Apple placed this limit to avoid excessive use of cellular data for larger downloads.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

3 of 14 (418 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2012 10:54:27 PM
(0)
Guru
Too bad.. Most of the games are more than that i like are 100mb Smiley Sad
Too bad.. Most of the games are more than that i like are 100mb Smiley Sad

4 of 14 (407 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2012 5:24:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

coolrhyme wrote:

You have to use wifi or iTunes.

coolrhyme wrote:

You have to use wifi or iTunes.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 14 (398 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2012 7:17:19 AM
(0)
Guru
i used an alternative way to do this. I use my friend iphone4s and setup her personal hotspot and i just connected to her hotspot and viola was able to download the gameSmiley Happy the game was 500mb >.>
i used an alternative way to do this. I use my friend iphone4s and setup her personal hotspot and i just connected to her hotspot and viola was able to download the gameSmiley Happy the game was 500mb >.>

6 of 14 (390 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2012 8:21:04 AM
(0)
Former Employee

youngjm wrote:

The 20mb limit has been around since the only data plan was unlimited. I don't think the restriction was originally put in place to avoid excessive use of cellular data but rather to avoid tying up Apple's servers because downloading over the cellular network tended to take very long. With faster download speeds now available, maybe it's time for Apple to remove that restriction.

youngjm wrote:

The 20mb limit has been around since the only data plan was unlimited. I don't think the restriction was originally put in place to avoid excessive use of cellular data but rather to avoid tying up Apple's servers because downloading over the cellular network tended to take very long. With faster download speeds now available, maybe it's time for Apple to remove that restriction.

7 of 14 (382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2012 9:37:35 AM
(0)
Scholar

coolrhyme wrote:

"Faster", in what way--data speed throughput (i.e., your cellular data speed is much faster than that of your ISP or some other Wifi hotspot)...or is it because you need to download that app ASAP that you can't wait until you are able to connect to iTunes or d/l via Wifi hotspot?  If the former--then boy, I can only dream that the 3G speeds I get in my area can be anywhere near as fast as what I get from my ISP...

coolrhyme wrote:

"Faster", in what way--data speed throughput (i.e., your cellular data speed is much faster than that of your ISP or some other Wifi hotspot)...or is it because you need to download that app ASAP that you can't wait until you are able to connect to iTunes or d/l via Wifi hotspot?  If the former--then boy, I can only dream that the 3G speeds I get in my area can be anywhere near as fast as what I get from my ISP...

8 of 14 (373 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2012 9:43:11 AM
(0)
Guru
mine its much faster we have different ISP. so i cant compare >.>
mine its much faster we have different ISP. so i cant compare >.>

9 of 14 (369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2012 12:04:52 PM
(0)
Guru

You must have a terrible ISP where you live...the fastest speeds I've ever gotten on my phone are in the 5Mbps range, and my cable normally is 15-25Mbps. Normally, I don't get above ~2.5Mbps on cellular data.

On another note, you do realize you just used between 10 & 12% of your friend's data plan allotment (depending on whether she's on the 4 or 5GB hotspot plan) to download your game, don't you?

You must have a terrible ISP where you live...the fastest speeds I've ever gotten on my phone are in the 5Mbps range, and my cable normally is 15-25Mbps. Normally, I don't get above ~2.5Mbps on cellular data.

On another note, you do realize you just used between 10 & 12% of your friend's data plan allotment (depending on whether she's on the 4 or 5GB hotspot plan) to download your game, don't you?

10 of 14 (361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2012 12:25:49 PM
(0)
Guru

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

Yes, and it's fine w/ her Smiley Happy

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

Yes, and it's fine w/ her Smiley Happy

11 of 14 (337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2012 4:59:23 PM
(0)
Scholar

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

LOL--I hadn't caught that; imagine the potential cost savings you'd reap from using someone else's hotspot plan rather than shelling out money to pay for your own hotspot plan, plus not having to worry about that 500 MB chunk of d/l eating into your own available data bucket.  Talk about scoring big time--LOL!!!

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

LOL--I hadn't caught that; imagine the potential cost savings you'd reap from using someone else's hotspot plan rather than shelling out money to pay for your own hotspot plan, plus not having to worry about that 500 MB chunk of d/l eating into your own available data bucket.  Talk about scoring big time--LOL!!!

12 of 14 (323 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2012 9:15:29 AM
(0)
Guru
Whatever you say man............
Whatever you say man............

13 of 14 (304 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2012 10:34:18 AM
(0)
Expert

anton697 wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

there are definitions and consequences for your you are speaking about.... and they are not very pleasant if you do not have their express permission

anton697 wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

there are definitions and consequences for your you are speaking about.... and they are not very pleasant if you do not have their express permission

14 of 14 (300 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments