Ask a question

Highlighted
    Posted Jan 18, 2012
    10:20:24 AM
    Cut any gophone sim card and put into iphone 4?

I currently have a crappy gophone from at&t, but i'm thinking about getting an iphone 4. I've heard that you can use the iphone 4 just like a gophone, but I'm just wondering, can i cut the sim card of my crappy gophone, and just put that into my iphone 4? or would i have to get a new sim card? I will still use the iphone 4 with at&t, so im just wondering if i need a new sim card.

Cut any gophone sim card and put into iphone 4?

9 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (9)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 18, 2012 11:28:14 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

Sure, you can just use your current SIM. Plenty of SIM cutters available from ebay. Have to jump through hoops to get 3G data working, though.

Re: Cut any gophone sim card and put into iphone 4?

2 of 10 (43,623 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 18, 2012 11:34:37 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

are you sure that i can just cut my sim card from my crappy gophone and just stick into iphone 4? do you have any thing to back you up?

3 of 10 (43,621 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 18, 2012 11:52:23 AM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Edited by hnzw_rui on Jan 18, 2012 at 11:53:15 AM

Bought a SIM cutter from ebay and tried it on the GoPhone SIM card I use with my LG Thrive. Tested it on an iPhone 4 (or maybe it was a 4S, couldn't remember exactly if I used mine or my brother's phone). Calling and texting works without a hitch. To get 3G data working, you'll need to change the APN settings. Didn't want to do that since the iPhone is still being used on postpaid and doing so might lose visual voicemail.

I did have to call AT&T to unlock the SIM because it was locked to the Thrive (only been activated a month before testing).

[ Edited ]
    4 of 10 (43,617 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 18, 2012 12:16:03 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Thank you so much hnzw_rui!!

So i would have to call att to unlock my sim? How can i know if my sim card is locked to my crappy phone? 

5 of 10 (43,612 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 18, 2012 12:52:44 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    Yes, I would definitely recommend a SIM cutter kit if you're going to be trimming your current SIM card to use in your iPhone 4. Had you cut it with a pair of scissors/some other sharp object, you might've trimmed too much off by accident. Then you would be out of luck.

Your SIM card does not need to be unlocked if you've had it in your current GoPhone for a time period of at least six months. If you've had both your phone and SIM longer than six months, you shouldn't need to worry.

Good luck!

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 10 (43,600 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 18, 2012 12:58:54 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

I've had this phone for 4 years now. It used to be with a 2 year contract, but thats over. HOWEVER, I've only gotten this gophone sim card for about 2 months. My sim card is blue and yellow...so is my sim card locked? Thank you so much!!

7 of 10 (43,597 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 18, 2012 6:11:37 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    My guess would be that your SIM card is probably locked to your original activation phone, yes. If you need to have it unlocked, just call customer service as it was indicated previously.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 10 (43,547 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 18, 2012 7:29:35 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Would they just unlock it? Or do I have to make up a story?

9 of 10 (43,538 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jan 19, 2012 3:12:01 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master
    Just tell them that your SIM is locked to your original phone of activation and see what they can do for you. I wouldn't include anything about the new phone being an iPhone 4, unless they specifically ask. You shouldn't need to make up any stories. Smiley Tongue

10 of 10 (43,516 Views)