Customer Service NEEDED!!!

Contributor

Customer Service NEEDED!!!

So after speaking with 2 different representatives today regarding my bill, I am feeling even more frustrated.  I tried to explain why I was frustrated to the first woman I spoke with as well as her 'supervisor' she put on the phone, but I am pretty sure they were not hearing my concerns, or they just didn't care.  I then spent the next hour finding all the email addresses for the big wigs so that I could fire off a complaint, but read online that people have had success with this route, so we're trying this first.

Ok, here's how it started.  I had 2 phones on my plan, a regular smart phone and an iPhone.  Last July my son changed the password on his iPhone, but then couldn't remember what it was so we contacted AT&T who told us it was an Apple issue and sent us to them.  They in turn said nope, you need to take this up with AT&T.  So after being on the phone for about 3 hours, we got to someone within AT&T who now had decided that he could help me.  He said just hook the phone up to the computer that was used to initially program the phone.  I explained to him that that computer had died and had been reformatted...making it virtually useless in this case.  His answer...."well, then you've got a problem.  There is no way to reconfigure that iPhone without reconnecting it to the original computer".  So I said 'ok well sir as I mentioned that is not an option...what is your next suggestion'.  His sugguestion....to get a new phone, out of contract of course, costing me upwards of $300-$400 for a similar phone.  After much frustration and me telling him that I would be switching to another cell phone provider, he told me that I could certainly do that and he would be happy to put my now non-useable iPhone on 'suspension' for the remainder of my contract (which ends in May of this year).  He told me I would be charged about $10 a month for this service.  Fine.  If that is my only option short of paying the entire early termination fee of $250-$300, I'll take that option.  I still felt this was crazy considering the AT&T techs were unable to help us get back into the phone and that is all we were needing in the first place.

Then this month I get my bill and see that my non-useable iPhone has jumped from $10 a month to nearly $50 a month.  So I call in and explain this to the first woman I spoke with.  I said there was clearly a mistake and I'd really like that phone to be put back on the 'suspension' rate.  She tells me that the suspension rate was a 6 month only offer and that I am out of luck.  I explained to her that I was told it would be for the remainder of my contract (so for 11 months in all).  Nope, she said that wasn't possible and I was out of luck.  I asked to speak with her supervisor and after being on hold for about 15 minutes a very rude man got on the phone.  His first comment was 'well, I've been brought up to speed on your case and I just don't understand what the issue is!'.  Really?  So I again go through the whole thing with how stupid the iPhone is in the first place and how all we wanted to do was change the screen password, but the AT&T techs couldn't help us and basically pushed us into becoming a customer with another cell phone company as a result.  He went through the 'suspension' policy and how that is only for 6 months.  I again explained to him that is NOT what I had been told.  He looked in his records and said 'it looks like that is all you were promised'...which is just not the case.  I then went on to ask what the early termination fee would be to cancel the phone all together because I am beyond upset by this situation and by the treatment I have received.  He told me $75.  I then asked how much it would be to cancel the other phone on the contract because I didn't feel I could continue to do business with a company that has no more customer service than this!  He told me $225.  So I said 'so for about $300 I could be done with AT&T completely?' and he said yes.  I said 'so are you really willing to lose a customer of many years over a $75 fee' and his response was 'yep'. 

So, where the issue was with an AT&T phone that the AT&T techs couldn't help with, wouldn't you think that would be grounds for either an early upgrade or a free early termination?  I am just so frustrated that this has become an issue at no fault of our own, and now AT&T wants to charge me almost $50 a month for the next 5 months until the contract runs out.  If AT&T doesn't do the right thing here, I will be cancelling both phones, paying the termination fees, and letting EVERYONE know about the horrible service I received from AT&T. 

If the issue was something that I had any control over, I could kind of understand this, but because the techs said we were out of luck with the iPhone we had, that doesn't seem like a legitimate reason for me to have to pay!

Message 1 of 10 (596 Views)
Expert

Re: Customer Service NEEDED!!!

first off, I don;t beleive that your contract counts down while the line is suspended, I maybe wrong here but seem to remember that being said.

second not quite sure why the genius bar at a Apple retail shop could not help you, they can override and reset the phone back to factory settings with no issues, have had it done on a couple of business IPhones that the employees left the company.

Message 2 of 10 (592 Views)

First, never count on AT&T for tech support on an Apple product. If you're not near an Apple Store, contact Apple Tech Support. 

Second, here's a step-by-step procedure for how to reset an iPhone for which you have lost the password.

Finally, this is really neither AT&T's fault nor their problem. YOUR son forgot his phone password. Why should AT&T be on the hook to bail you out of a situation you created?

Message 3 of 10 (583 Views)
Contributor

I feel it is AT&T's issue since they sold me the phone and couldn't support the stupid thing.  I totally understand the issue started with my son, but if it is such a simple fix, why couldn't their tech support tell me that and instead tell me that I was 'out of luck'.  That is my issue and why I feel AT&T should make this right!

Message 4 of 10 (576 Views)
Former Employee

[ Edited ]

Because AT&T is not "authorized" by Apple to service iPhones. We're not supposed to even talk to anyone about iPhone issues, all have to be directed to Apple, this is Apple's policy. So I guess AT&T's reps tried to help to the best of his ability with something that Apple had to take care off in first place. AT&T is a cell service provider, forgotten password is a Software/Hardware issue and in no way possible had anything to do with AT&T.

Message 5 of 10 (561 Views)
Highlighted
Explorer

The "ATT tech" that you are blaming had nothing to do with your son locking himself out of phone. It's his fault.

The first thing the "tech" should hav told you was Apple does support/warranty on their phones. I imagine he did..and you just kept insisting.

Personal responsibility.
Message 6 of 10 (537 Views)
Expert

bjcj1001 wrote:

I feel it is AT&T's issue since they sold me the phone and couldn't support the stupid thing.  I totally understand the issue started with my son, but if it is such a simple fix, why couldn't their tech support tell me that and instead tell me that I was 'out of luck'.  That is my issue and why I feel AT&T should make this right!

ATT is not a authorized service center for any apple product, you did not mentioned did you go to one of the few warranty service centers where they might have been able to resolve it, it is not a over the phone fix if the instructions on apples website did not work. Apple strictly regulates who can officially work on their devices, as far as servicing the iphone, this has been the policy since the first iphone hit the market, and it is duplicated on every carrier that has the iphone now

Message 7 of 10 (528 Views)
Scholar

the contract does continue to count down even on suspended line .... as long as monthly service is being billed contract keeps on a ticking... sry wing just clarifing

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 10 (511 Views)

bjcj1001 wrote:

So after speaking with 2 different representatives today regarding my bill, I am feeling even more frustrated.  I tried to explain why I was frustrated to the first woman I spoke with as well as her 'supervisor' she put on the phone, but I am pretty sure they were not hearing my concerns, or they just didn't care.  I then spent the next hour finding all the email addresses for the big wigs so that I could fire off a complaint, but read online that people have had success with this route, so we're trying this first.

Ok, here's how it started.  I had 2 phones on my plan, a regular smart phone and an iPhone.  Last July my son changed the password on his iPhone, but then couldn't remember what it was so we contacted AT&T who told us it was an Apple issue and sent us to them.  They in turn said nope, you need to take this up with AT&T.  So after being on the phone for about 3 hours, we got to someone within AT&T who now had decided that he could help me.  He said just hook the phone up to the computer that was used to initially program the phone.  I explained to him that that computer had died and had been reformatted...making it virtually useless in this case.  His answer...."well, then you've got a problem.  There is no way to reconfigure that iPhone without reconnecting it to the original computer".  So I said 'ok well sir as I mentioned that is not an option...what is your next suggestion'.  His sugguestion....to get a new phone, out of contract of course, costing me upwards of $300-$400 for a similar phone.  After much frustration and me telling him that I would be switching to another cell phone provider, he told me that I could certainly do that and he would be happy to put my now non-useable iPhone on 'suspension' for the remainder of my contract (which ends in May of this year).  He told me I would be charged about $10 a month for this service.  Fine.  If that is my only option short of paying the entire early termination fee of $250-$300, I'll take that option.  I still felt this was crazy considering the AT&T techs were unable to help us get back into the phone and that is all we were needing in the first place.

Then this month I get my bill and see that my non-useable iPhone has jumped from $10 a month to nearly $50 a month.  So I call in and explain this to the first woman I spoke with.  I said there was clearly a mistake and I'd really like that phone to be put back on the 'suspension' rate.  She tells me that the suspension rate was a 6 month only offer and that I am out of luck.  I explained to her that I was told it would be for the remainder of my contract (so for 11 months in all).  Nope, she said that wasn't possible and I was out of luck.  I asked to speak with her supervisor and after being on hold for about 15 minutes a very rude man got on the phone.  His first comment was 'well, I've been brought up to speed on your case and I just don't understand what the issue is!'.  Really?  So I again go through the whole thing with how stupid the iPhone is in the first place and how all we wanted to do was change the screen password, but the AT&T techs couldn't help us and basically pushed us into becoming a customer with another cell phone company as a result.  He went through the 'suspension' policy and how that is only for 6 months.  I again explained to him that is NOT what I had been told.  He looked in his records and said 'it looks like that is all you were promised'...which is just not the case.  I then went on to ask what the early termination fee would be to cancel the phone all together because I am beyond upset by this situation and by the treatment I have received.  He told me $75.  I then asked how much it would be to cancel the other phone on the contract because I didn't feel I could continue to do business with a company that has no more customer service than this!  He told me $225.  So I said 'so for about $300 I could be done with AT&T completely?' and he said yes.  I said 'so are you really willing to lose a customer of many years over a $75 fee' and his response was 'yep'. 

So, where the issue was with an AT&T phone that the AT&T techs couldn't help with, wouldn't you think that would be grounds for either an early upgrade or a free early termination?  I am just so frustrated that this has become an issue at no fault of our own, and now AT&T wants to charge me almost $50 a month for the next 5 months until the contract runs out.  If AT&T doesn't do the right thing here, I will be cancelling both phones, paying the termination fees, and letting EVERYONE know about the horrible service I received from AT&T. 

If the issue was something that I had any control over, I could kind of understand this, but because the techs said we were out of luck with the iPhone we had, that doesn't seem like a legitimate reason for me to have to pay!

You do realize none of this is AT&T's fault, and your placing the blame on AT&T for your sons mistake? AT&T only supports their network, not the phone so Apple is who you would go to to have your device fixed. Now the part that is troubling about this is that even though none of this is AT&T's fault they STILL helped you out as much as they could with your bill or with tech support (even though AT&T isn't suppose to support the iphone, apple is) and you have the audacity to complain on a forum, bash AT&T, and say your switching carriers? News flash, thats customer service at its best. Too bad your blinded by your frustration to see it. AT&T has already done their part (even though in my opinion they shouldn't have done anything but direct you to apple), if you want to cancel thats your choice.  No one is stopping you.

Message 9 of 10 (504 Views)
Expert

savior wrote:

the contract does continue to count down even on suspended line .... as long as monthly service is being billed contract keeps on a ticking... sry wing just clarifing

which is why I prefaced the statement with "I don;t believe", have never done a suspension of att service since in the decades I have been with them

Message 10 of 10 (498 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.