Current devices may not get Apollo update?

Professor

Current devices may not get Apollo update?

According to the Verge, current WP7 devices will not be getting Apollo. If true, this sucks big time

Message 1 of 8 (1,289 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Re: Current devices may not get Apollo update?

[ Edited ]

If true, this is a change from historical Microsoft update policy. If you buy a computer running Windows, it is typically upgradeable to the next version of Windows, but possibly no further. Compatible machines running XP were even upgradeable to Vista and Windows 7.

This means that any device that shipped with Windows Phone 7 (any version) should be upgradeable to Windows Phone 8, aka Apollo.

If they are trying to put the last nail in the coffin of the Windows Phone platform, this would be a very effective way to do it, IMHO. I am a die hard Windows fan, and I would probably switch to an iPhone next time if this turns out to be the case.

Message 2 of 8 (1,266 Views)
Professor

For the most part, devices on WP7 don't have hardware with the capacity for WP. Most don't even have touchscreens.
Message 3 of 8 (1,242 Views)
Professor

FredW wrote:
For the most part, devices on WP7 don't have hardware with the capacity for WP. Most don't even have touchscreens.

What?!  I don't understand your last sentence at all.

For the first sentence, I'll assume that you meant that most current devices running WP7 don't have hardware with the capacity for WP8.  I'll agree with you somewhat, in that I think that WP8 needs a dual-core processor for optimum efficiency.  Microsoft could modify WP8 in order to have it run efficiently on a single-core processor.  Google made some modifications in ICS when they released it for the Nexus S, so this type of modification isn't unheard of.

Message 4 of 8 (1,228 Views)
Mentor

That's *%^@$*.  Samsung claimed my Galaxy S Captivate wasn't powerful enought to run ICS.  Guess what?  My TeamHackSung ROM ran ICS BETTER than the manufacturer 2.2 ROM.

Message 5 of 8 (1,219 Views)
Contributor

It pays to not put to much into these blog sites.

A lot of what they report is rumor and speculation. And when

they are wrong, they just ignore that fact and move on.

The Verge is made up of a lot of Android users, and they are

trying to bring the whole "upgrade fever" issue into the Windows world.

Message 6 of 8 (1,204 Views)

I think Microsoft promised a while back that every windows phone will get 2 major updates. If it is true, then for gen 1 phones the 2 updates are Mango and Tango(rumored to be released by carriers in June), for gen 2 phones like the lumia 900 the 1st major update would be Tango and the 2nd should be Apollo.

Message 7 of 8 (1,192 Views)
Teacher

Microsoft might put it out, but AT&T has demonstrated no desire to keep our devices upgraded when they can sell us a new one. I would say that we\'ll be LUCKY if we get the Tango upgrade and I\'d bet stacks of money that our \"carrier\" will \"drop\" the ball on Apollo/WP8.
Message 8 of 8 (1,189 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.