Current MicroCell firmware version v.2?

Current MicroCell firmware version v.2?

Hi Folks,

First time on the MicroCell forum. I'm wondering what the current firmware version for the MicroCell is, and how to find out what my MC's version is? Also, where does one find and download the current firmware online? And finally, what's the process for updating the MC's firmware?

Thanks in advance! 

John

Message 1 of 28
Scholar

Re: Current MicroCell firmware version v.2?

It's all done by AT&T over your broadband connection.  There is no local user interface to this device.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 28

Thanks for your reply. So this is all done automatically? Is there some method of informing the user when an update occurs?

Message 3 of 28
Scholar

Yep its all done behind the scenes. There is no way to inform the user

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 28

Okey-dokey then.

Thanks, 
John 

Thanks, John 

Message 5 of 28

Thats fantastic that we cannot tell anything about our service. The voice quality is crap on my line and the first level tech support can't tell what firmware I have or when it will be upgraded. They also have no information on call statistics. The 3G microcell sucks and I recommend that people do not use it. The best tech support could do is tell me to return my microcell.

Message 6 of 28
Scholar

What relevance is the firmware version?  It's not user upgradeable.  If Tech support had pushed your issue to tier 2, they can do all that stuff.

Message 7 of 28

My phone displays the OS version and baseband version. Why can't the 3G microcell? The microcell is the only software device in my home that I cannot tell the software version and some kind of health statistics.

If I knew the firmware version, I could tell whether my microcell had been upgraded and whether that patch fixed my problem or not. Flying blind would be fine if everything just worked and the tier 1 & 2 support had the information. People in the support forums could have real information as opposed to speculating.

Message 8 of 28
Scholar

kayakjamie wrote:

My phone displays the OS version and baseband version. Why can't the 3G microcell? The microcell is the only software device in my home that I cannot tell the software version and some kind of health statistics.

If I knew the firmware version, I could tell whether my microcell had been upgraded and whether that patch fixed my problem or not. Flying blind would be fine if everything just worked and the tier 1 & 2 support had the information. People in the support forums could have real information as opposed to speculating.

The device is locked down for security reasons. There is no web server imbedded in the device.

Tier 1 is worthless, tier 2 and network have access to the diagnostics the device provides internally including firmware version.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns341/ns523/ns941/solution_overview_c22-597334.pdf

Message 9 of 28
Scholar

This is a ludicrous situation.  Even though my MicroCell seems to work reasonable well, I hate being told by AT&T that I'm too stupid, or not "trustworthy enough" to have even the most basic of information about a device that connects to my network and potentially affects that network and my ability to make cell calls from inside my home.  Even my cable modem, which is not user serviceable has a screen that provides me with basic information about the modem's performance, software/firmware revision levels, and signal levels.  Because of this, I've been able to save untold hours in diagnosing problems, and saving the cable company from pricey (to them) and unnecessary truck rolls.  That AT&T refuses to provide us with even that level of information, let alone the ability to configure the device for optimal performance in our own network environments (like setting static IP addresses, for example) is beyond stupid.  If my device ever does give me major problems, my response will be to pack it up and return it to AT&T.  I will NOT devote (waste) hours of my time to talking to tier 1 support reps who know nothing about my network environment and even less about the MicroCell product.  Wake up AT&T!  Give your customers the tools to be able to efficiently use your devices in our networks!

Message 10 of 28
Scholar

AnClar wrote:

This is a ludicrous situation.  Even though my MicroCell seems to work reasonable well, I hate being told by AT&T that I'm too stupid, or not "trustworthy enough" to have even the most basic of information about a device that connects to my network and potentially affects that network and my ability to make cell calls from inside my home.  Even my cable modem, which is not user serviceable has a screen that provides me with basic information about the modem's performance, software/firmware revision levels, and signal levels.  Because of this, I've been able to save untold hours in diagnosing problems, and saving the cable company from pricey (to them) and unnecessary truck rolls.  That AT&T refuses to provide us with even that level of information, let alone the ability to configure the device for optimal performance in our own network environments (like setting static IP addresses, for example) is beyond stupid.  If my device ever does give me major problems, my response will be to pack it up and return it to AT&T.  I will NOT devote (waste) hours of my time to talking to tier 1 support reps who know nothing about my network environment and even less about the MicroCell product.  Wake up AT&T!  Give your customers the tools to be able to efficiently use your devices in our networks!

Yett another intellegent response!! No wonder the ATT Mods dont give us useful information in here - they have to deal with this crap

Message 11 of 28
Scholar

dellsweig wrote:

AnClar wrote:

Yett another intellegent response!! No wonder the ATT Mods dont give us useful information in here - they have to deal with this crap

I truly have to laugh at your pointless, personal flame.  If you want to be a fanboi, that's your business.  I made a reasonable statement relating to the need for users to have useful, easily accessible  information from the devices they use on their networks, and my opinion of the time it takes to get to speak to anyone at AT&T who can truly speak to a problem, not to just read from a decision-tree script.  Yes...I think the decision to not include basic, user-accessible diagnostic information was not good.  I also think that much needs to be done regarding the level of CSR product knowledge, and the time it takes to reach someone who can address problems.  So you contacted a regional business rep at AT&T and got some answers...I'm glad you have the time to track that person down...some of us also work for a living and don't have that kind of time to spend playing detective.  Unlike you, I did not personally flame any mods, or anyone else.  This is a forum to comment on the AT&T MicroCell...if you don't like any comments other than  favorable ones I suggest you start a fansite of your own where you can censor whatever comments you don't personally like, but kindly refrain from making personal attacks in this one.

Message 12 of 28
Former Moderator

Let's please stay on topic.  Your opinions are always welcome, but personal attacks and harassment in the Forum are not acceptable.  Thank you!

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 13 of 28
Teacher

There is little info on this device. It's very difficult to trouble shoot...that being said, the lack of user access to the device is a good thing.

The microcell is a security device. It's a VPN box. AT&T is smart not having any network services running on the box...it's a VPN client....that's it. Depending on how you deploy the microcell, it could be outside of a firewall, facing the Internet unprotected. Running even a small web server would be a bad idea.

I would like to see device information on the AT&T microcell configuration page...show firmware, voice stats, data stats, uptime and errors. This would help the end user engage tech support.....and I'd also like to have a number to microcell support...it's impossible from the microcell page to find a support number.
Message 14 of 28
Scholar

chkptco wrote:
There is little info on this device. It's very difficult to trouble shoot...that being said, the lack of user access to the device is a good thing.

The microcell is a security device. It's a VPN box. AT&T is smart not having any network services running on the box...it's a VPN client....that's it. Depending on how you deploy the microcell, it could be outside of a firewall, facing the Internet unprotected. Running even a small web server would be a bad idea.

I would like to see device information on the AT&T microcell configuration page...show firmware, voice stats, data stats, uptime and errors. This would help the end user engage tech support.....and I'd also like to have a number to microcell support...it's impossible from the microcell page to find a support number.

Here are some cisco links that may help

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/broadband_access_center/3.5/administration/guide/chap_4.htm...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns341/ns523/ns941/solution_overview_c22-597334.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps8611/ps10456/ps10465/ps10962/data_sheet_c78-59733...

Message 15 of 28
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support