Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 7, 2011
12:45:45 AM
View profile
Curious about why ATT bothers rolling out new 4G service
Edited by Crand on Jan 7, 2011 at 12:59:14 AM

Seriously, somebody from ATT needs to respond to this question. Why would you invest in upgrading your wireless data network when you have such a small cap on your data plans? I do over 1tb/month on my HFC internet connection at home and since I switched to the Captivate I go over 1gb/month on ATT without even trying. Heaven help anybody who uses navigation in street view with any regularity. 1GB is a lot of data to somebody on dialup but nothing to cable modems.  Some day 2GB is going to seem like a text message and where will your cap be then?  Will you adjust it according to trends in usage?  Do you employ anybody who can answer that question?

I never sign contracts with anything I do because I believe the company should be obligated to perform instead of the customer being obligated to pay regardless of performance. Since I've never been under contract I'm still in the unlimited data plan. The SECOND anybody touches my plan, I'm off to Verizon.

So why 4G? Nobody can use it with a 2GB cap!

Edit:  Also curious why ATT puts the ATT navigator on Android phones.  I would love to meet the one person with an Android phone who uses the ATT navigator and sock them in the breadbasket.

Seriously, somebody from ATT needs to respond to this question. Why would you invest in upgrading your wireless data network when you have such a small cap on your data plans? I do over 1tb/month on my HFC internet connection at home and since I switched to the Captivate I go over 1gb/month on ATT without even trying. Heaven help anybody who uses navigation in street view with any regularity. 1GB is a lot of data to somebody on dialup but nothing to cable modems.  Some day 2GB is going to seem like a text message and where will your cap be then?  Will you adjust it according to trends in usage?  Do you employ anybody who can answer that question?

I never sign contracts with anything I do because I believe the company should be obligated to perform instead of the customer being obligated to pay regardless of performance. Since I've never been under contract I'm still in the unlimited data plan. The SECOND anybody touches my plan, I'm off to Verizon.

Edit:  Also curious why ATT puts the ATT navigator on Android phones.  I would love to meet the one person with an Android phone who uses the ATT navigator and sock them in the breadbasket.

Curious about why ATT bothers rolling out new 4G service

[ Edited ]
8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 3:54:17 AM
(0)
Tutor

Its crap I go over every month by about 2g. I hate my new plan. I used to have unlimited but I wanted a new captivate so I "had" to switch to the new data plan. 2 gigs is a joke. Thanks ATT. Oh and on top of that we are still running 2.1 on it. 

Its crap I go over every month by about 2g. I hate my new plan. I used to have unlimited but I wanted a new captivate so I "had" to switch to the new data plan. 2 gigs is a joke. Thanks ATT. Oh and on top of that we are still running 2.1 on it. 

Re: Curious about why ATT bothers rolling out new 4G service

2 of 9 (2,631 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 7:46:51 AM
(0)
Professor

This is exactly why they eliminated the unlimited data plan. The foresight of the increased surge to smartphones, helped by the increased usage of Android. Also, the increased capabilities of streaming on a device. AT&T already had the iPhone and the network already couldn't fully handle that. By capping data, they have decreased data usage due to the increased cost. It has also allowed them offer tethering on iPhone and other devices now, while taking a money grab. You can use 2GB of data without tethering for $25 or you can use that same 2GB of data with tethering for increased cost of $45. All this is in place to discourage the use of data because the network can not handle the demand.

This is exactly why they eliminated the unlimited data plan. The foresight of the increased surge to smartphones, helped by the increased usage of Android. Also, the increased capabilities of streaming on a device. AT&T already had the iPhone and the network already couldn't fully handle that. By capping data, they have decreased data usage due to the increased cost. It has also allowed them offer tethering on iPhone and other devices now, while taking a money grab. You can use 2GB of data without tethering for $25 or you can use that same 2GB of data with tethering for increased cost of $45. All this is in place to discourage the use of data because the network can not handle the demand.

3 of 9 (2,600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2011 9:28:46 AM
(0)
Guru

Who said you had to switch to a new data plan? i went from an unlimited blackberry to the captivate, and still have the same unlimited data plan.

Who said you had to switch to a new data plan? i went from an unlimited blackberry to the captivate, and still have the same unlimited data plan.

4 of 9 (2,536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2011 9:50:44 AM
(0)
Expert

ujmnz wrote:

If the previous phone did not have the specific smartphone unlimited data plan attached then they had to pick one of the new plans, the "family data plan" or a medianet data plan did not qualify - 30.00 or higher smartphone data plan was the only one that did

ujmnz wrote:

If the previous phone did not have the specific smartphone unlimited data plan attached then they had to pick one of the new plans, the "family data plan" or a medianet data plan did not qualify - 30.00 or higher smartphone data plan was the only one that did

5 of 9 (2,529 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2011 10:36:45 AM
(0)
Guru

My bad, I was under the assumption the discussion was just about smartphones.

My bad, I was under the assumption the discussion was just about smartphones.

6 of 9 (2,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 7:09:51 AM
(0)
Professor

ujmnz wrote:

New to smartphone customers don't get the unlimited option. Those that are grandfathered with it can keep it until they give it up or AT&T completely eliminates it, which I suspect will be the summer of next year. This would put it two years after they quit offering it, then they would know absolutely nobody is "under contract" with the unlimited plan. This is the same thing they did with unlimited for data connect for laptops. Two years after they eliminated the unlimited plan, they moved all those that were grandfathered over to the 5GB plan.

ujmnz wrote:

New to smartphone customers don't get the unlimited option. Those that are grandfathered with it can keep it until they give it up or AT&T completely eliminates it, which I suspect will be the summer of next year. This would put it two years after they quit offering it, then they would know absolutely nobody is "under contract" with the unlimited plan. This is the same thing they did with unlimited for data connect for laptops. Two years after they eliminated the unlimited plan, they moved all those that were grandfathered over to the 5GB plan.

7 of 9 (2,488 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 9:29:47 PM
(0)
Master

Nobody from AT&T is going to respond to this question.  AT&T CSRs do not patrol this forum looking for questions to answer, or to engage in debates with customers regarding their policies and pricing.

Wireless data is more expensive and more unpredictable to sufficiently plan for than ground-based Internet services.  Try taking your HFC modem to Portland or Chicago and see it if works.

By the time AT&T nukes your unlimited data plan, Verizon will probably have eliminated theirs, as well.

Crand wrote:

Nobody from AT&T is going to respond to this question.  AT&T CSRs do not patrol this forum looking for questions to answer, or to engage in debates with customers regarding their policies and pricing.

Wireless data is more expensive and more unpredictable to sufficiently plan for than ground-based Internet services.  Try taking your HFC modem to Portland or Chicago and see it if works.

By the time AT&T nukes your unlimited data plan, Verizon will probably have eliminated theirs, as well.

Crand wrote:

8 of 9 (2,315 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 4:55:00 PM
(0)
Employee

what 4G are we talking about?

HSPA+ is really an extension of 3G

LTE wasn't considered 4G until a month ago, but when LTE rolls out their may be an unlimited usage since it's a different network and will have the capability of handling more users.

what 4G are we talking about?

HSPA+ is really an extension of 3G

LTE wasn't considered 4G until a month ago, but when LTE rolls out their may be an unlimited usage since it's a different network and will have the capability of handling more users.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 9 (1,918 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments