Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 5, 2011
2:53:34 PM
View profile
Crtified/Uncertified phones

I would like to buy a new SIM card and to activate it with my old X2 Nokia phone. How can I know if I can use my phone with AT&T?

I would like to buy a new SIM card and to activate it with my old X2 Nokia phone. How can I know if I can use my phone with AT&T?

Crtified/Uncertified phones

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2011 3:42:57 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Wild Banchi on Nov 5, 2011 at 3:44:51 PM
If the phone is unlocked to work with AT&T, then you will know if you will be able to use it if the SIM card is recognized by both the phone and the network. You will know if the SIM is accepted if you see service bars and perhaps a banner somewhere on the phone that says "AT&T".

You will know if there is a problem if you see an error such as "Invalid SIM"/"SIM not provisioned MM#2".

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

If the phone is unlocked to work with AT&T, then you will know if you will be able to use it if the SIM card is recognized by both the phone and the network. You will know if the SIM is accepted if you see service bars and perhaps a banner somewhere on the phone that says "AT&T".

You will know if there is a problem if you see an error such as "Invalid SIM"/"SIM not provisioned MM#2".

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

Re: Crtified/Uncertified phones

[ Edited ]
2 of 8 (177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2011 5:46:36 PM
(0)
Master
If the phone is a non-branded or unlocked X2-00 or X2-01, it will work just fine with your at&t SIM. Those are both quad-band GSM phones, so they have the frequencies used by at&t for 2G service. I would take a look at the coverage map to ensure you aren't in an area where at&t indicates you need a 3G phone though.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

If the phone is a non-branded or unlocked X2-00 or X2-01, it will work just fine with your at&t SIM. Those are both quad-band GSM phones, so they have the frequencies used by at&t for 2G service. I would take a look at the coverage map to ensure you aren't in an area where at&t indicates you need a 3G phone though.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

3 of 8 (172 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2011 7:50:20 AM
(0)
Edited by Anonymous on Nov 6, 2011 at 7:52:57 AM

I pluged my AT&T SIM card to the phone and got the message "SIM card registration failed" and "No service" instead of "AT&T" label.

Should I try to buy a new SIM card to register it with the phone and it's pointless?

PS. Thanks for replies.

I pluged my AT&T SIM card to the phone and got the message "SIM card registration failed" and "No service" instead of "AT&T" label.

Should I try to buy a new SIM card to register it with the phone and it's pointless?

PS. Thanks for replies.

[ Edited ]
4 of 8 (160 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2011 9:28:59 AM
(0)
Master
Alright. I have two questions for you regarding both the phone and SIM that might be why you are having problems with the phone recognizing the SIM.

1. Is the phone unlocked from T-Mobile to work with AT&T?
2. Have you already taken the steps to activate your new SIM card?

If the phone is not unlocked nor the SIM is activated, then I can see where you are having problems.

Alright. I have two questions for you regarding both the phone and SIM that might be why you are having problems with the phone recognizing the SIM.

1. Is the phone unlocked from T-Mobile to work with AT&T?
2. Have you already taken the steps to activate your new SIM card?

If the phone is not unlocked nor the SIM is activated, then I can see where you are having problems.

5 of 8 (153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2011 2:26:37 PM
(0)
The phone was bought in Russia and is not related with any US provider. But it worked with any Russian provider. As I understand, it means it's unlocked. Isn't it?

I didn't try to activate new SIM card through this phone. I just tried to use already activated SIM card from another one,

Can I activate new SIM card with this phone?
The phone was bought in Russia and is not related with any US provider. But it worked with any Russian provider. As I understand, it means it's unlocked. Isn't it?

I didn't try to activate new SIM card through this phone. I just tried to use already activated SIM card from another one,

Can I activate new SIM card with this phone?

6 of 8 (146 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2011 5:31:54 PM
(0)
Master
It could be unlocked, but I'm not completely sure it would work with any U.S. carriers such as AT&T.

Yes, you should be able to activate a new SIM card with your X2.

It could be unlocked, but I'm not completely sure it would work with any U.S. carriers such as AT&T.

Yes, you should be able to activate a new SIM card with your X2.

7 of 8 (135 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2011 8:14:45 PM
(0)
Master
I suspect the SIM you are trying to use with your X2 is locked to the phone it was previously used with. at&t started "locking" the SIM to the phone it is activated with a year or so ago, esp. If the phone and SIM were purchased together as a package. You can contact customer service and request they unlock the SIM so it can be used with another phone. They have some requirements, but generally seem to accomodate the request. Smiley Happy
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

I suspect the SIM you are trying to use with your X2 is locked to the phone it was previously used with. at&t started "locking" the SIM to the phone it is activated with a year or so ago, esp. If the phone and SIM were purchased together as a package. You can contact customer service and request they unlock the SIM so it can be used with another phone. They have some requirements, but generally seem to accomodate the request. Smiley Happy
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

8 of 8 (128 Views)