Credit Check for iPhone 4

Teacher

Credit Check for iPhone 4

Hi everyone, 

Thought you guys might be able to help.

I'm hoping to switch from Verizon to AT&T for my cell phone service.  I ordered the iPhone 4 online last night and my credit card was charged.  I was a little concerned with the credit check and I was wondering if AT&T informs you BEFORE giving you an order number and charging your card that a deposit is required.  Also, does anyone know the criteria for deposits or the amounts?  

I was very excited and I don't want to be disappointed.  I've been trying to search this all morning.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
Scholar

Re: Credit Check for iPhone 4

well if you had Verizon, then im pretty sure you already have credit established, anyways, all i know is that if a deposit is required it'll be a $500 deposit, which is given back to you in one year. 

Message 2 of 11
Teacher

I'm actually a preferred customer with Verizon and have 4 lines on it.  My credit score isn't great but I have been VERY good on payments over the last 2 years so I think that counts for something.  

Message 3 of 11
Scholar

yeah, like i said im pretty sure you do qualify, i don't think AT&T would have gone a process everything without letting you know first, so yeah i think you'e good =] 

Message 4 of 11
Mentor

I'm switching from Verizon and my deposit amount is $150. I don't understand how they come up with the fee but I do believe that if more is required they will inform you before they send you the phone. That's just what seems to make sense to me.
Message 5 of 11
Mentor

Btw, I did my phone order in the store. That's how I know what my deposit requirement was.
Message 6 of 11
Scholar

why the deposit though?

Message 7 of 11
Professor

The fee varies according to several forums but I'd rather ask AT&T. For the most of the forums, they state the fee is required for bad credit or insufficient credit built.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=at%26t+deposit+fee&src=IE-SearchBox&Form=IE8SRC

One poster stated this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080613192841AAk7hqy

I work for AT&T wireless.to start,you need a credit check to see if you need a deposit.deposits usually come back(depending on credit thru experian) $0,$150,$300,$500(no or limited credit info) $750(bad credit) or $800(if you have previously had an account w/ at&t that has been charged or written off.next,the curve is $199 w/ a $100 mir.450 w/ rollover is $39.99,insurance $4.99,unlmtd text $20.00. activation fee $36.so in store you pay $199 + any poss deposit.1st bill will be slightly higher than it would normally be ( you start in middle of billing cycle,and you get prorated fees and also you will be billed a month in advance)plus tax and monthly,around $65.00 plus tax....hope I helped!!

Message 8 of 11
Mentor

I am switching over from Sprint, after having been with them for like 8 years and I was never late in paying that bill. I used to be with AT&T and I left before my contract was up and as a result I had to pay $150.00 (USD) as a deposit. The store sales rep said that they will hold onto it for a year and after that year I will get it back, plus interest. He did say however that if you are not late with payments that normally AT&T will send it back to you after 6 months. The store manager chimed in and said "sometimes you have to pay a deposit if you have left AT&T in the past before your contract was up, or if you have questionable credit". I link my deposit to having questionable credit and like I said, having left AT&T in the past before my contract was up. So even if you have to pay a deposit, you will get it back, just make sure you pay your bill on time.

Message 9 of 11

DHeck19 wrote:

I am switching over from Sprint, after having been with them for like 8 years and I was never late in paying that bill. I used to be with AT&T and I left before my contract was up and as a result I had to pay $150.00 (USD) as a deposit. The store sales rep said that they will hold onto it for a year and after that year I will get it back, plus interest. He did say however that if you are not late with payments that normally AT&T will send it back to you after 6 months. The store manager chimed in and said "sometimes you have to pay a deposit if you have left AT&T in the past before your contract was up, or if you have questionable credit". I link my deposit to having questionable credit and like I said, having left AT&T in the past before my contract was up. So even if you have to pay a deposit, you will get it back, just make sure you pay your bill on time.

josephz2va wrote:

The fee varies according to several forums but I'd rather ask AT&T. For the most of the forums, they state the fee is required for bad credit or insufficient credit built.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=at%26t+deposit+fee&src=IE-SearchBox&Form=IE8SRC

One poster stated this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080613192841AAk7hqy

I work for AT&T wireless.to start,you need a credit check to see if you need a deposit.deposits usually come back(depending on credit thru experian) $0,$150,$300,$500(no or limited credit info) $750(bad credit) or $800(if you have previously had an account w/ at&t that has been charged or written off.

I find this REALLY interesting, and WRONG based on my personal experience.  I've had AT&T wireless 3 times in the past (Cingular once, ATTWS twice) and never had to pay a deposit... and I've never had outstanding credit.  HOWEVER... the last time I left AT&T it was prior to my contract being up, but I PAID MY LAST BILL AS WELL AS MY EARLY TERMINATION FEE.   The only reason I left the last time was that the place I was living, I could not get a signal AT ALL, and could not hold a call on my AT&T phone.  It didn't make sense to keep the service.

Anyway, flash forward, and I'm wanting to move back to AT&T and get an iPhone.  Went through hard times last year with being unemployed for an extended period - including having to file Ch. 7 bankruptcy - but that means I have no late pays on my file now.  Just the BK.  But life is back on track and I'm gainfully employed again.  Anyway, my score is better than it was the last two times I applied for AT&T service!  I placed my order online, and I get an email sometime later saying "your order failed our credit validation."  I don't even know if that means they couldn't validate the credit card or what.  I check, and they pinged the credit card 3 times.  Whatever. 

Later the same week, I'm making changes on the phone to my AT&T Uverse service, and the very helpful agent asks if my cellular service is with AT&T.  I say no, and that I tried to switch but I *think* I was denied... tell her what the email says... she says let me check, and do I give her permission to run the credit check and I tell her OK.  She says it comes back that they want an $800 deposit!   No thank you very much, AT&T.  I don't wanna come back to you that badly. My Sprint service is just fine. 

But I do find it interesting, given what the supposed employee posted above.  I KNOW for a fact that I paid my ETF and all outstanding balances when I left mid-contract.  So WTH would they want an $800 deposit?!?  I'll stick with Sprint where I have my cushy SERO plan at a flat $30/mo all-inclusive for unlimited data for my BlackBerry Bold.

The kicker is that I get home today and I have a letter from AT&T that as a valued U-verse customer, I'm "pre-approved" for AT&T Wireless service.  HA!

Message 10 of 11
Professor

Art_Vandelay, I know that the $800 is assessed only in charged off situations. I would call customer service and speak with receivables management to see what the account is about.

Message 11 of 11
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support