Creative math by AT&T on Go Phone???

Tutor

Creative math by AT&T on Go Phone???

After being informed that I had 48 minutes remaing on my 250 minute plan I went to account history and added up all usage for this period.  I came up with 169 minutes used which should leave 81 minutes.  Customer Service was absolutely no help and I will probably visit my local Sprint store Monday since AT&T has no avenue for me to find out the reason for the discrepancy.

Message 1 of 10 (705 Views)
Master

Re: Creative math by AT&T on Go Phone???

When I look at my on-line GoPhone history call times are given in the actual number of minutes/seconds, but for billing purposes at&t will always round each transaction to the next minute up.  So that could be creating much of your difference.  You can certainly call that "creative math", but it is outlined in the GoPhone plan terms.

"Charges: Voice usage is deducted in full-minute increments with partial minutes rounded up to the next full minute at the end of each call."

( from the "Plan Terms" tab here:  http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp )

Also are you certain your most recent calling activity was posted to the on-line system at the point you looked?  Prepaid activity does generally post quickly, but if you had usage immediately before checking your on-line account it's possible something wasn't posted yet.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 2 of 10 (701 Views)
Tutor

I rounded up every 15 second usage to one minute and every call was listed, in fact one call received 5 minutes before I called customer service showed up on my account history.  I am fully aware of the "round up" charge and rounded every call up to the next full minute.  It may well be my error, but, all I want is some explanation from AT&T where the discrepancy is.

Message 3 of 10 (688 Views)
Master

I can't blame you there - if you feel you've looked at it consistently with at&t's stated billing practice you deserve an explanation re: the difference. Many times it's the luck of the draw with customer service. You might try calling back to see if you get a more knowledgeable/helpful rep the second time.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 4 of 10 (679 Views)
Tutor

You are absolutely correct about customer service, after multiple calls I finally got a representative who cared and took the time to review my account.  She called me back after a one hour investigation and informed me that I was correct, 24 minutes had mysteriously disappeared from my airtime minutes and would be readded to my account.  The moral?  Don't give up, there are customer service representatives who care.

Message 5 of 10 (630 Views)
Master

easybob wrote:

You are absolutely correct about customer service, after multiple calls I finally got a representative who cared and took the time to review my account.  She called me back after a one hour investigation and informed me that I was correct, 24 minutes had mysteriously disappeared from my airtime minutes and would be readded to my account.  The moral?  Don't give up, there are customer service representatives who care.

That's great to hear - thanks for posting back with your "second time around" experience! Smiley Happy

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Message 6 of 10 (604 Views)
Teacher

It can help to call customer service during US business hours.  No guarantee, but....

Message 7 of 10 (596 Views)

Check your billing history online.  It's possible that E911 charges were deducted.  I know that caught me by surprise on my GoPhone.

Message 8 of 10 (584 Views)
Contributor

I have a question regarding he go phone plan. If i already own an At&t phone can it be used as a go phone even if my service was terminated?

Message 9 of 10 (414 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Yes the at&t phone can be used as a gophone. All that matters is you have either a gophone sim card OR have an att rep change your phone number to a go phone account. I was a contract user and switched to pay as you go and had the rep change my account to a prepaid user. I have my same phone number but its a prepaid now.

Message 10 of 10 (382 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.