Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 13, 2011
6:58:19 PM
View profile
Crappy ATT customer service strikes again.

I bought the HTC Inspire a few weeks after ATT started carrying the device. When talking to the sales rep at the store I inquired about the 4g because back when it came out, it was being avertized as a "4g" phone like what Verizon carries. I asked the sales rep about the capabilities of the phone and the 4g network. He told me that in the fall ATT will be rolling out their verson of 4g and that this phone would be able to run on that network. I thought great that's what I was looking for. I was disappointed somewhat having to wait months for it, but thought it would be worth it. Well after waiting until now and seeing ATT roll out 4g LTE I am being told that my phone is not able to run on that network. Here is what I was told at the ATT store:

1. HTC Inspire 4g is a HSPA+ phone. (not what I was told at time of purchase.)

2. ATT's "4g" (HSPA+) is "government" 4g standards.

3. HSPA+ has been available since January.

4. 4g was avertized at first because only 5% of the company knew that ATT was going to roll out 4g LTE in the fall as they have done and no sales associates ever knew about 4g LTE until a few weeks ago.

Much to my dismay I got the run around at the store. I received tons of shoulder shrugs and looks of the "your screwed and we got your money" kind. At no point did anyone apologize for the misleading facts and statements to get the sale.

Of course I had to sign up for the 2 year contract even though I was using a upgrade. I have been a ATT customer since before they were Cingular. ATT used to care about customers and take care of them when mistakes were made. Now they care about profit only it seems. I want out of my contract so bad but of course its going to cost $175 (I think) for the 3 lines that I carry.

I want to voice my concerns to someone that matters and cares about the customer. I don't want to call the 1800 number because I've been down that road and cannot get higher than a "supervisor" who are of no help. Please respond if you have any advice.

I bought the HTC Inspire a few weeks after ATT started carrying the device. When talking to the sales rep at the store I inquired about the 4g because back when it came out, it was being avertized as a "4g" phone like what Verizon carries. I asked the sales rep about the capabilities of the phone and the 4g network. He told me that in the fall ATT will be rolling out their verson of 4g and that this phone would be able to run on that network. I thought great that's what I was looking for. I was disappointed somewhat having to wait months for it, but thought it would be worth it. Well after waiting until now and seeing ATT roll out 4g LTE I am being told that my phone is not able to run on that network. Here is what I was told at the ATT store:

1. HTC Inspire 4g is a HSPA+ phone. (not what I was told at time of purchase.)

2. ATT's "4g" (HSPA+) is "government" 4g standards.

3. HSPA+ has been available since January.

4. 4g was avertized at first because only 5% of the company knew that ATT was going to roll out 4g LTE in the fall as they have done and no sales associates ever knew about 4g LTE until a few weeks ago.

Much to my dismay I got the run around at the store. I received tons of shoulder shrugs and looks of the "your screwed and we got your money" kind. At no point did anyone apologize for the misleading facts and statements to get the sale.

Of course I had to sign up for the 2 year contract even though I was using a upgrade. I have been a ATT customer since before they were Cingular. ATT used to care about customers and take care of them when mistakes were made. Now they care about profit only it seems. I want out of my contract so bad but of course its going to cost $175 (I think) for the 3 lines that I carry.

I want to voice my concerns to someone that matters and cares about the customer. I don't want to call the 1800 number because I've been down that road and cannot get higher than a "supervisor" who are of no help. Please respond if you have any advice.

Crappy ATT customer service strikes again.

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 7:25:33 PM
(0)
Tutor

I honestly dont know what to tell you, you are mad that you bought what at that time was the most advanced form of technology there was available labeled as 4g and mad that the rep did not have the information about 4g LTE when you said yourself sales agents were not even aware of this technology nor was 95% of the company... so it therefore is your fault and stop trying to blame others for something you did.  If anything you probably could have googled 4g LTE at that time and there would probably be some articles about when it would actually be released. If you are mad the sales agent was not aware of 4g LTE at that time its because agents are only trained to know and sell what is available At That Time not whats coming out in 4-5 months because how is that ever going to benefit the company or themselves when most agents are commission based they would never make any money or sell anything if they told every customer that something better is coming in a couple months ...

(att stands for At this time by the way)

on a side not 4g LTE is only available in like 15 markets so depending of course on your location you probably dont have it in your area...

I honestly dont know what to tell you, you are mad that you bought what at that time was the most advanced form of technology there was available labeled as 4g and mad that the rep did not have the information about 4g LTE when you said yourself sales agents were not even aware of this technology nor was 95% of the company... so it therefore is your fault and stop trying to blame others for something you did.  If anything you probably could have googled 4g LTE at that time and there would probably be some articles about when it would actually be released. If you are mad the sales agent was not aware of 4g LTE at that time its because agents are only trained to know and sell what is available At That Time not whats coming out in 4-5 months because how is that ever going to benefit the company or themselves when most agents are commission based they would never make any money or sell anything if they told every customer that something better is coming in a couple months ...

(att stands for At this time by the way)

on a side not 4g LTE is only available in like 15 markets so depending of course on your location you probably dont have it in your area...

Re: Crappy ATT customer service strikes again.

2 of 10 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2011 7:39:12 PM
(0)
Contributor
What I'm mad about is that when I bought the phone the 4g HSPA+ was already in effect and they knee that but told me I was going to recieve faster service in the fall. I'm mad ATT does not better train associates about rollouts and give them info to help them. At the time of purchase HSPA+ was not what they were advertising on the website or in store. They were offering 10x faster speeds when I bought this phone. That is what I'm mad about. I was promised faster speeds and now with this phone, will not recieve. 4g LTE is available in my area as well.
What I'm mad about is that when I bought the phone the 4g HSPA+ was already in effect and they knee that but told me I was going to recieve faster service in the fall. I'm mad ATT does not better train associates about rollouts and give them info to help them. At the time of purchase HSPA+ was not what they were advertising on the website or in store. They were offering 10x faster speeds when I bought this phone. That is what I'm mad about. I was promised faster speeds and now with this phone, will not recieve. 4g LTE is available in my area as well.

3 of 10 (696 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2011 10:27:33 AM
(0)
Scholar
The inspire 4G was never advertised to offer or be capabile of LTE.
The inspire 4G was never advertised to offer or be capabile of LTE.

4 of 10 (671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2011 7:54:24 PM
(0)
Guru

Look,

Im sorry for the total confusion but all you would have had to do is some research. 

If the device doesnt specify a 4G LTE, then it will never get it. HSDPA+ is still better than 3G so its not like you are totally losing out.
"True" 4G is LTE as im sure you are aware. All i can say is next time do some research on the device itself. It stinks that you made a purchase decision but you cant blame ATT for everything.

Many sites (like phonearena or even ATT's website) will tell you the tech specs and details on the phone.

Good luck 

Look,

Im sorry for the total confusion but all you would have had to do is some research. 

If the device doesnt specify a 4G LTE, then it will never get it. HSDPA+ is still better than 3G so its not like you are totally losing out.
"True" 4G is LTE as im sure you are aware. All i can say is next time do some research on the device itself. It stinks that you made a purchase decision but you cant blame ATT for everything.

Many sites (like phonearena or even ATT's website) will tell you the tech specs and details on the phone.

Good luck 

5 of 10 (654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2011 4:22:39 PM
(0)
Master
I don't blame you (OP) for falling for AT&T's advertising/marketing tricks. They should have never called the Inspire, Infuse, or Atrix "4G". It's a technology that's somewhat moot now that AT&T is finally beginning to deploy their new TRUE 4G LTE network across the country.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

I don't blame you (OP) for falling for AT&T's advertising/marketing tricks. They should have never called the Inspire, Infuse, or Atrix "4G". It's a technology that's somewhat moot now that AT&T is finally beginning to deploy their new TRUE 4G LTE network across the country.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

6 of 10 (634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2011 8:46:54 PM
(0)
Guru

Wild Banchi wrote:

Agreed.

Wild Banchi wrote:

Agreed.

7 of 10 (625 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2011 7:41:48 PM
(0)
Mentor

I have to agree with most of everyone on here.  You should have done your research.  In fact when the Inspire rolled out I was intrigued, but I did my research.  Amongst all the articles was the very discussion of calling HSPA+ by the name of 4G when it was not.  For that matter there is still a lot of debate over saying that LTE is 4G.  There is a lot of "confusion" by corporate headquarters of all wireless companies on what "4G" really is.  Regardless of this, I decided that the speeds offered by HSPA+ was better than 3G and took that plunge with the Inspire.  In the market I am living in, LTE will not be out until sometime during the first half of next year (if AT&T keeps on schedule) and by then I will be ready for the upgrade.  Ultimately, do not blame store agents for a failure on your part.  And you can attack corporate all you want, but all the wireless companies are guilty of some misleading representations at some point or the other.  Get over it, accept and love the phone you have, and when it is time to upgrade do so.  If you can't do this, cough up the money to terminate your contract and go to another company so we do not have to hear you complain about your mistakes.

I have to agree with most of everyone on here.  You should have done your research.  In fact when the Inspire rolled out I was intrigued, but I did my research.  Amongst all the articles was the very discussion of calling HSPA+ by the name of 4G when it was not.  For that matter there is still a lot of debate over saying that LTE is 4G.  There is a lot of "confusion" by corporate headquarters of all wireless companies on what "4G" really is.  Regardless of this, I decided that the speeds offered by HSPA+ was better than 3G and took that plunge with the Inspire.  In the market I am living in, LTE will not be out until sometime during the first half of next year (if AT&T keeps on schedule) and by then I will be ready for the upgrade.  Ultimately, do not blame store agents for a failure on your part.  And you can attack corporate all you want, but all the wireless companies are guilty of some misleading representations at some point or the other.  Get over it, accept and love the phone you have, and when it is time to upgrade do so.  If you can't do this, cough up the money to terminate your contract and go to another company so we do not have to hear you complain about your mistakes.

8 of 10 (581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2011 7:14:24 AM
(0)
Professor

The ITU is the organization that is responsible for defining 4G.   HSPA+ meets the definition, as does LTE.

Your personal opinion may vary on whether that was the right ruling.   But for any definition that matters, HSPA+ is 4G.

OP needs to do real research before buying expensive electronic devices that carry a 2-year contract commitment.  Don't rely on marketing ads and store personnel.   Would you walk into a used car dealership, not knowing anything about cars, and rely on the salemen to help you make the right choice?  Of course not!

The ITU is the organization that is responsible for defining 4G.   HSPA+ meets the definition, as does LTE.

Your personal opinion may vary on whether that was the right ruling.   But for any definition that matters, HSPA+ is 4G.

OP needs to do real research before buying expensive electronic devices that carry a 2-year contract commitment.  Don't rely on marketing ads and store personnel.   Would you walk into a used car dealership, not knowing anything about cars, and rely on the salemen to help you make the right choice?  Of course not!

9 of 10 (561 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 23, 2011 1:29:55 AM
(0)
Mentor

Thank you for the correction.  About 4 hours after the post I realized my mistake.  I just did not have a chance to correct it.  As stated, while whether it can be classified as 4G is questionable, the ITU has officially recognized it and has allowed for it to be called by 4G.

Thank you for the correction.  About 4 hours after the post I realized my mistake.  I just did not have a chance to correct it.  As stated, while whether it can be classified as 4G is questionable, the ITU has officially recognized it and has allowed for it to be called by 4G.

10 of 10 (504 Views)