Couple of questions??

Couple of questions??

First off on a family plan.  So hypothetically if I was to switch to prepaid go-phone could I keep the same number or do I need a new number if I switch??

Second just saw to day there were some go-phones that were also smart phones.  Never knew att had go smart phones.  I thought smart phones were only contract and not go.  But like the "avail" for example was listed on att under go section as smart.  Anyhow when I click on it it only gives options for voice and no data.  Why is this??  Do go phones not have separate data like contract??  Or is included??  Like here for example

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp

It says "10 cents per minute" on the far right last column and  "1¢ per 5 KB or buy a package".  But I don't see any packages available.  Or can I just not buy a package and use thew 1c per kb so I only pay for what I Use??  Then turn off cellular data in my phone settings.  And it will be like I never used any data and or can stick with wifi??

Or do I have to buy a separate data package also like on contract in addition to the 10 cents per minute??

Message 1 of 23 (492 Views)
Master

Re: Couple of questions??

If you're planning on switching from post paid service to prepaid, you could most definitely keep your same phone number.

Yes, there are "GoPhone smartphones", although they're no different from any other smartphone. I "converted" my originally-intended post paid smartphones into GoPhones. Any AT&T or unlocked smartphone can be used on a GoPhone plan. Data options vary depending on which rate plan you choose, but separate data packages are required for smartphones if you WANT to take advantage of prepaid data. Keep in mind, a data package for smartphones being used on GoPhone plans are NOT required as opposed to post paid. That's what makes AT&T prepaid service so unique and why I haven't switched to another carrier.

Smartphones cannot work with the 1¢ 5KB pay-per-use plan, and I personally find it a convenience because I don't get nailed with data charges when my Wi-Fi connection has lost its signal. Only feature phones can be used with the pay-per-use data method.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 23 (476 Views)

So for example the "avail" advertises WIFI on  the specs page.  So it is possible to get an avail go phone for 130 as advertised.  And then just use it for voice and have no data at all since like you said data is not required.  Or if I want to use the wifi I have to have data and cant use voice only.  

Also since the "avail" is the cheapest of the smarties it is probably to entry level or will suffice for lite email and possibly directions at the least.  I don't use heavy browsing on a phone anyway.  I use mostly for emergencies. But would be nice to have a basic calendar and few features I currently don't.  But not a necessity.

Message 3 of 23 (466 Views)

I just called att-2020 to double check.  The lady on the phone said data is required even if it is a go phone as long as it is smart phone.  

Message 4 of 23 (463 Views)
Master

Data is not required for prepaid smartphones. You can buy an Avail for the advertised price, and if it says that you need a data package, purchase one if you'd like to use e-mail or GPS services.

I am using two high-end smartphones without paying for data packages. The phones I have were NOT order via AT&T, so maybe they do require a data package upon the checkout and payment of the phone? I don't know. I guess we'll have to find out.

Message 5 of 23 (455 Views)

I will call again and double check.  In the mean time the motorola ex119 has wifi and is feature and not smart.  Only downside is that it has no 3g and in some areas like colorado there are getting rid of 2g service.  No word on chicago where I live however.  Or I can buy a social from telus and unlock it.  Also feature and wifi.  But 3g added.

But I will ask at&t again just to be sure about the data.

Message 6 of 23 (451 Views)

I forgot to ask her name.  But I just called again and got a different answer.  She said data is not required.  Even on contract is it not required.  She said they automatically add it.  But I can opt out no additional cost.  Even if I have an iphone I asked she said it is free and I can opt out.  Iphone can't be on gophone since they have a deal with att.  But I can optout for free.

Does sound right but she said I can and I can even use wifi if it has it.  Doesn't sound right but that is what she said.

Message 7 of 23 (449 Views)

Message 8 of 23 (444 Views)
Scholar

Wild Banchi wrote:

I am using two high-end smartphones without paying for data packages. The phones I have were NOT order via AT&T, so maybe they do require a data package upon the checkout and payment of the phone? I don't know. I guess we'll have to find out.

Doesn't matter if you order your smartphone from AT&T or not. Whatever route you choose, data packages are NOT required for smartphones.

@autismdefensedotcom

I wonder why you even bother calling AT&T's customer service. It's a crapshoot. Sometimes you get a knowledgable agent but more often than not, it's easier to find the info on the internet.

For contract customers, data packages are required for smartphones purchased/activated post November 2008 (at least I think that's the magic date). If you buy an unlocked smartphone and activate it with AT&T postpaid, at its discretion, AT&T can add a data plan to your account. No opt-out allowed, unless you can get hold of a nice agent who's willing to go against company policy.

For prepaid customers, data packages aren't required for smartphones, period. You'll need to get one if you plan on using cellular data (e.g. so you can browse the web and check email when not on wi-fi) but it's optional.

Message 9 of 23 (425 Views)

Was thinking of switching to prepay. I just decided to skipp the prepay and get a Z221. I know its prepay. But even the back of the phone says "Stop Attension If you are a current AT&T customer, simply charge the battery and move your existing sim" Best cheapee phone ever. Even takes videso.

And then just use the old iphone (my dad got the 4gs today) with wifi only. Remove the sim card and it says no sim inserted. But click ok and still works. Browse all the internert I want. I know I can do with a itouch but no camera. And we already have an iphone.

Message 10 of 23 (406 Views)
Master

You COULD use the iPhone as a phone, if you really wanted to... But it would have to be an AT&T iPhone.

Message 11 of 23 (378 Views)

No I couldn't.  Cause I would have to buy data then.  Unless I use a gophone sim in it.  They said I could att  the store.  But its not that much cheaper then anyway.   And there return policy is nuts.  The 40 dollar phone is a good deal.  But I only get 35 dollars back after restocking fee.  What the... 5 bucks thats all I get back.  So I got it from bestbuy.  They have no restocking fee even if it is opened.  So I can take it back.

But if I get the "avail" that is 130 dollara.  And  15 dollar card the cheapest they have only good for 30 days.  X 12 =180 so same as data.

Or 25 dollars every 3 months which equals 100 dollars a year and is 1000 minutes.  Or a 100 dollar card lasts 1 year and 1000 minutes.  

So 130 phone + 100 card 1 year + another 100 card second year +330 dollars.

And 15 data with current phone I already have x 12 = 180 x 2 years =360.

So  only 30 bucks savings.  And only 1000 minutes per year.  I don't talk much so no big deal.  But the other way I also have data and with family plan way more minutes.

So it is not worth it.  The go phone is almost as expensive as the data.  And if they check my imei they will force my iphone 3g to have data.

So not worth it.  It should be 10c a minute and instead of card they just charge you whenever you use it. Instead of refilling a card every so often.  Or you buy the card like 25 dollars and instead of expiring in 3 months it lasts forever.

And as soon as you run out you buy more instead of forcing you to get a new cad every 3 months. 

Message 12 of 23 (373 Views)
Master

Alright, you're right. I was just saying that you could use the iPhone on a prepaid plan if you really wanted to. But it looks like your decision is made, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Message 13 of 23 (369 Views)

Unless I can auto add the minutes.  Can I add 100 dollars for 1 year.  And then right before it expires add another 15 and extend it for another year.  Or the 15 only lasts 30 days and I have to add another 100.  I read on a few other sites that that is how tmobile works.  100 makes you gold and the next you add like 15 will extend for another year as well since you are a gold member.  It att the same way.  Also can I set it up so they auto charge my credit card every year.  Or do I have to remember to do it every year.  

Message 14 of 23 (362 Views)
Master

You could add $100 to your account for an expiration date of a full year from the time that you refilled, but adding another $100 will extend your expiration date by another year. In the scenario you described, adding $15 would only give you 30 additional days - not one year.

I don't think that auto renewal can be set up to be yearly...it can monthly, though. I would prefer to do it manually on my own.

Message 15 of 23 (358 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.