Corporate account iphone 4 sim card questions

Corporate account iphone 4 sim card questions

Okay, here's the situation.  My company is switching to AT&T and is forcing us to choose between 3 phones.  Blackberry Curve, Torch, and iphone 4.  They will be paying for the 2GB data plan.  Not wanting any of those 3 choices, my question is what can I do to get the phone I want without the company knowing about it? 

My first thought is to buy the phone I want on ebay and put the sim card from one of the 3 choices into the new phone.  I like the HTC inspire, so I'm wondering 1) will the sim card fit? (I have no problem buying an adapter) 2) Is the data plan the same so that the company won't get a call from AT&T when I put the sim card into the inspire?  3) Will I lose any speed or phone functionality?  4)If I decide to try it and it doesn't work, can I simply put the sim back in the original phone and be fine, or will it stop working for some reason?

I assume that I would need to choose the iphone 4 in order for the data plan to work, based on what I've read about the Blackberry data plan being slightly different.  Please advise if that assumption is incorrect, given that the blackberry choices are free and I would be paying $150 out of my pocket for the iphone.

If this idea will work, what do I need to look for as far as buying an inspire on ebay?  Will I then be able to sell my iphone 4 on ebay without a sim card (or with the sim card that may or may not come with the new inspire)?

The key for me is that the company does not need to be involved, or have the contract with AT&T changed in any way.  If it simply shows one different phone in the details of the bill, it should be fine as there will be lots of phones on the account and I doubt they would even notice.  If AT&T will require some sort of authorization from the company if they notice that I've swapped phones, I'll likely get an unpleasant call from the suits and may get in some sort of trouble.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 20 (2,802 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Corporate account iphone 4 sim card questions

Let me add a few comments in for you.  If you go with a Blackberry, then more than likely they will be using a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) which requires configuration of the specific Blackberry PIN in order for it to receive email.  I know as I have had to configure several phones in our email system.  If you are using an iPhone, it will most likely be using the Exchange Web Client interface to connect, and it still requires configuration to properly work.  Both of these will almost guarantee that your IT person will have to do some device specific configuration to make it work properly.  If you try to replace a company supplied device with a different one, there is a very good chance that you won't be able ot make it work right.

Additionally, it your company has any security in place, they should not allow non-company owned hardware onto their network without a pre-validation that the device is secure.  I know that a Blackberry can have a security profile set on it and pushed from the server.  An iPhone can be configured similarly requiring certain levels of encryption.  Where I work, you can get fired for allowing a non-company owned  device to access the company network/information.

One last note, most company cell phone plans have a pre-determined administrator.  If that administrator has not added you to the list of "authorized users" then you can not contact AT&T to request any changes to the acocunt.  One of my cow-orkers accidentally sent his blackberry through the laundry in his jeans pocket.  He placed the SIM card in an iPhone.  He could get the phone to work, but not the data, because he wasn't an AT&T authorizzed user so they wouldn't allow him to change the servce on his phone form Blackberry to iPhone.  This means that he could only use many of the phone features while on a wifi network, giving him many headaches, and preventing him from having the full remote email access that he was expected to have...

You may want to do some things, only to find later that you can't do what you want.  Just keep that in mind...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 20 (2,031 Views)

So I just spoke with our IT guy, and he is also upset about not having an android option. 

He tells me there's no extra work on his end to make an android phone work with our network, and there's no security issues, so I'm back to the question of whether or not AT&T will notice if I put the sim card from the iphone into the HTC inspire. 

As long as the iphone had a data plan, would they even care?  Would they simply switch that phone to the android data plan, assuming there is actually a difference in the data plans?  As long as they didn't call our account manager and ask for approval, I think I should be fine.  (even if they did, I could probably get her to approve it since she likes me)

Tempted to try it.  One thing I'm not sure of is what exactly to look for when buying an HTC inspire on ebay.  Are the sim cards the only thing that links a particular phone to an account?

Message 17 of 20 (1,999 Views)
Master

kicknimble wrote:

So I just spoke with our IT guy, and he is also upset about not having an android option. 

He tells me there's no extra work on his end to make an android phone work with our network, and there's no security issues, so I'm back to the question of whether or not AT&T will notice if I put the sim card from the iphone into the HTC inspire. 

As long as the iphone had a data plan, would they even care?  Would they simply switch that phone to the android data plan, assuming there is actually a difference in the data plans?  As long as they didn't call our account manager and ask for approval, I think I should be fine.  (even if they did, I could probably get her to approve it since she likes me)

Tempted to try it.  One thing I'm not sure of is what exactly to look for when buying an HTC inspire on ebay.  Are the sim cards the only thing that links a particular phone to an account?

You don't know if they will call your account manager and you assume she will approve your exception??????  Can ATT tell?  YES!  The cost of the plan may be the same but the plan needs to match the type of phone as features that go with it need to be aligned properly for the phones to fully take advantage of the features.  That different plan will show up on the bill if the company is paying for it.

You need to determine if you know better than the company and are you willing to tempt fate?  We don't know your company so having us bless your actions means nothing. 

As for the SIM card linking your phone to your account, that is correct.  You can go to an ATT store and get a new one if necessary once you get your phone from eBay.  It may cost you $25 but they will mostl likely just set you up for no cost.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 18 of 20 (1,994 Views)

That is correct, I don't know if they will call, but if they do I might be able to get the account manager to approve it.  I need to decide whether or not I want to tell her ahead of time what I'm doing.  She usually is really cool about stuff like this, but this time the decision is coming from someone above her.

I guess I could go to the AT&T store and ask someone there what they would do in that scenario.  If they don't call and they simply switch the data plan, I'm not sure if she'll notice a change on the bill for one phone out of 50, but she might. 

Even so, it's not like I'll get fired for it.  They've never fired anybody in the 9 years I've been here, and there have been plenty that deserved to get fired for doing far worse than buying a different phone.

Thanks for the info on the sim cards.

Message 19 of 20 (1,984 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Since you said that this is above her, that would mean that should the higher ups ever find out about the deviation she could end up being in trouble. I don't think it is wise to put Some one in the wrong position with management over a cell phone. There is nothing worse than when an employee decides to bypass management's decisions and this could reflect badly on you if they ever find out. Just not worth it getting on their bad side for a cell phone.
Message 20 of 20 (1,979 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.