Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 20, 2011
12:31:52 PM
Corporate account iphone 4 sim card questions

Okay, here's the situation.  My company is switching to AT&T and is forcing us to choose between 3 phones.  Blackberry Curve, Torch, and iphone 4.  They will be paying for the 2GB data plan.  Not wanting any of those 3 choices, my question is what can I do to get the phone I want without the company knowing about it? 

My first thought is to buy the phone I want on ebay and put the sim card from one of the 3 choices into the new phone.  I like the HTC inspire, so I'm wondering 1) will the sim card fit? (I have no problem buying an adapter) 2) Is the data plan the same so that the company won't get a call from AT&T when I put the sim card into the inspire?  3) Will I lose any speed or phone functionality?  4)If I decide to try it and it doesn't work, can I simply put the sim back in the original phone and be fine, or will it stop working for some reason?

I assume that I would need to choose the iphone 4 in order for the data plan to work, based on what I've read about the Blackberry data plan being slightly different.  Please advise if that assumption is incorrect, given that the blackberry choices are free and I would be paying $150 out of my pocket for the iphone.

If this idea will work, what do I need to look for as far as buying an inspire on ebay?  Will I then be able to sell my iphone 4 on ebay without a sim card (or with the sim card that may or may not come with the new inspire)?

The key for me is that the company does not need to be involved, or have the contract with AT&T changed in any way.  If it simply shows one different phone in the details of the bill, it should be fine as there will be lots of phones on the account and I doubt they would even notice.  If AT&T will require some sort of authorization from the company if they notice that I've swapped phones, I'll likely get an unpleasant call from the suits and may get in some sort of trouble.

Thoughts?

Okay, here's the situation.  My company is switching to AT&T and is forcing us to choose between 3 phones.  Blackberry Curve, Torch, and iphone 4.  They will be paying for the 2GB data plan.  Not wanting any of those 3 choices, my question is what can I do to get the phone I want without the company knowing about it? 

My first thought is to buy the phone I want on ebay and put the sim card from one of the 3 choices into the new phone.  I like the HTC inspire, so I'm wondering 1) will the sim card fit? (I have no problem buying an adapter) 2) Is the data plan the same so that the company won't get a call from AT&T when I put the sim card into the inspire?  3) Will I lose any speed or phone functionality?  4)If I decide to try it and it doesn't work, can I simply put the sim back in the original phone and be fine, or will it stop working for some reason?

I assume that I would need to choose the iphone 4 in order for the data plan to work, based on what I've read about the Blackberry data plan being slightly different.  Please advise if that assumption is incorrect, given that the blackberry choices are free and I would be paying $150 out of my pocket for the iphone.

If this idea will work, what do I need to look for as far as buying an inspire on ebay?  Will I then be able to sell my iphone 4 on ebay without a sim card (or with the sim card that may or may not come with the new inspire)?

The key for me is that the company does not need to be involved, or have the contract with AT&T changed in any way.  If it simply shows one different phone in the details of the bill, it should be fine as there will be lots of phones on the account and I doubt they would even notice.  If AT&T will require some sort of authorization from the company if they notice that I've swapped phones, I'll likely get an unpleasant call from the suits and may get in some sort of trouble.

Thoughts?

Corporate account iphone 4 sim card questions

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2011 1:21:06 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by youngjm on Mar 20, 2011 at 1:22:06 PM

You have a couple of issues that none of us can answer:

1.  If you leave the company, are you required to turn in one of those phones?

2. Is you company planning on using software to manage their communications and help desk functions that they expect you to use one of those phones.

3. Are they expecting that you have certain communication capabilities to link with their network and those phones meet their security requirements to protect the data?

If you get a different phone, you many not be able to get what you need from work and that defeats the purpose of why they may be doing what they are.  Not every phone on the market meets the needs of every company and they have deemed these models as acceptable for the companies purposes.  if you want  a different phone, then I would work through your company to find out how to get that phone on the approved list.

Trying to go around their policy may find you without a phone and/or a job.  Only your company knows the answers to that one.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

You have a couple of issues that none of us can answer:

1.  If you leave the company, are you required to turn in one of those phones?

2. Is you company planning on using software to manage their communications and help desk functions that they expect you to use one of those phones.

3. Are they expecting that you have certain communication capabilities to link with their network and those phones meet their security requirements to protect the data?

If you get a different phone, you many not be able to get what you need from work and that defeats the purpose of why they may be doing what they are.  Not every phone on the market meets the needs of every company and they have deemed these models as acceptable for the companies purposes.  if you want  a different phone, then I would work through your company to find out how to get that phone on the approved list.

Trying to go around their policy may find you without a phone and/or a job.  Only your company knows the answers to that one.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Corporate account iphone 4 sim card questions

[ Edited ]
2 of 20 (2,699 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2011 3:58:33 PM
(0)
Professor

Another thing to consider is that yes, the data plans will be different in AT&T's system.  The pricing is the same but the Inspire is an Android phone, and none of the company approved phones are Android phones.  The Inspire will require the Android data plan.

Also, alluding to what the previous poster typed, your company may not be willing to support Android phones.  They are very different from Blackberrys and iPhones in how they communicate with corporate servers and Exchange servers.  From personal experience, it was easier to set up my Android phone with my company's Exchange server than my iPhone.  However, from viewing forum posts, my experience is rare.

Another thing to consider is that yes, the data plans will be different in AT&T's system.  The pricing is the same but the Inspire is an Android phone, and none of the company approved phones are Android phones.  The Inspire will require the Android data plan.

Also, alluding to what the previous poster typed, your company may not be willing to support Android phones.  They are very different from Blackberrys and iPhones in how they communicate with corporate servers and Exchange servers.  From personal experience, it was easier to set up my Android phone with my company's Exchange server than my iPhone.  However, from viewing forum posts, my experience is rare.

3 of 20 (2,676 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2011 4:10:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by johninsj on Mar 20, 2011 at 4:11:50 PM

Usually company phones are selected based on their ability to enforce company security policy. Also, they're for "company business", so screwing with them isn't normally a great idea.

(likey they need to support strong password protection and remote wipe... dunno if android does the above, but you would think it's exchange support would do so. If it does, you should have no problem talking them into expanding the approved device list)

Unless you don't enjoy employment, either decline the phone, or take one they support, or ask if you can get an exception. I carry a company phone and a personal phone, because the company phone had to be a specific type of phone.

Usually company phones are selected based on their ability to enforce company security policy. Also, they're for "company business", so screwing with them isn't normally a great idea.

(likey they need to support strong password protection and remote wipe... dunno if android does the above, but you would think it's exchange support would do so. If it does, you should have no problem talking them into expanding the approved device list)

Unless you don't enjoy employment, either decline the phone, or take one they support, or ask if you can get an exception. I carry a company phone and a personal phone, because the company phone had to be a specific type of phone.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 20 (2,665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2011 5:02:04 PM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks for the replies. I suspect that the security issue is not the reason. We don't have any special software, and the only real reason to have a smart phone is to sync with Outlook to get our emails when we're not at the office. In fact, most people in the company don't even get a smartphone since they don't travel much. In the past when the contract is up, the phones were ours to do whatever we wanted with. I always sold mine on ebay. I spent an afternoon trying to get an answer as to why they were limiting us to 3 phones, and the only response was "the choices are what the choices are". The company is pretty small, and there typically haven't been very strict rules on anything, which is why I was surprised by this new cell-phone policy. I won't be leaving the company anytime soon, so I'm not worried about turning a phone in, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if they decided they wanted the phones back when the contract was up and I turned in something other than what was provided. I'll talk to the IT guy tomorrow and see if he knows of anything special that he would have to do to get an android phone to sync with Outlook. I suspect he just doesn't want to deal with it since we're already setup for blackberrys. I guess I'll just keep complaining and hope I can get someone to reconsider. Thanks again for the replies.
Thanks for the replies. I suspect that the security issue is not the reason. We don't have any special software, and the only real reason to have a smart phone is to sync with Outlook to get our emails when we're not at the office. In fact, most people in the company don't even get a smartphone since they don't travel much. In the past when the contract is up, the phones were ours to do whatever we wanted with. I always sold mine on ebay. I spent an afternoon trying to get an answer as to why they were limiting us to 3 phones, and the only response was "the choices are what the choices are". The company is pretty small, and there typically haven't been very strict rules on anything, which is why I was surprised by this new cell-phone policy. I won't be leaving the company anytime soon, so I'm not worried about turning a phone in, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if they decided they wanted the phones back when the contract was up and I turned in something other than what was provided. I'll talk to the IT guy tomorrow and see if he knows of anything special that he would have to do to get an android phone to sync with Outlook. I suspect he just doesn't want to deal with it since we're already setup for blackberrys. I guess I'll just keep complaining and hope I can get someone to reconsider. Thanks again for the replies.

5 of 20 (2,648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2011 8:03:03 PM
(0)
Expert

Wow they are offering a good set of phones for the employees.  You really need to ask the company as to why and my bet is like you said email synch and it is most likely based on Exchange server which would mean that the company IT security will have control over the devices should anything ever happens.  Most likely they will not allow you to change based on their security plans.

Wow they are offering a good set of phones for the employees.  You really need to ask the company as to why and my bet is like you said email synch and it is most likely based on Exchange server which would mean that the company IT security will have control over the devices should anything ever happens.  Most likely they will not allow you to change based on their security plans.

6 of 20 (2,625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2011 10:18:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

kicknimble wrote:
 the only real reason to have a smart phone is to sync with Outlook to get our emails when we're not at the office.

Outlook = Exchange = Strong passord auto-lock & remote wipe.

You're carring around coporate email, they're going to want to be able to nuke the phone remotely, which they can do from Exchange. That would be my guess - whoever their email provider is, they told them the list of phones they can enforce those rules on.

kicknimble wrote:
 the only real reason to have a smart phone is to sync with Outlook to get our emails when we're not at the office.

You're carring around coporate email, they're going to want to be able to nuke the phone remotely, which they can do from Exchange. That would be my guess - whoever their email provider is, they told them the list of phones they can enforce those rules on.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 20 (2,611 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 5:47:13 AM
(0)
Master

johninsj wrote:

kicknimble wrote:

Strongly agree! 

johninsj wrote:

kicknimble wrote:

Strongly agree! 

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

8 of 20 (2,583 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 9:20:07 AM
(0)
Tutor
Yeah, I hadn't really thought too much about how the exchange server comes into play. I still think it has more to do with the IT person just not wanting to have 3 different kinds of phones in the system. He's kind of a lazy guy who won't do any extra work unless it somehow benefits him. The thing that really annoys me about the whole policy is that they require us to keep our phones on and answer them 24-7, so that means it is a necessary tool to do our jobs (which I'm sure is why they are paying for it). If that weren't the case, I'd simply refuse the company phone and do my own thing, but I'm not willing to carry around 2 phones. It irritates me that they never bothered to see what phones the employees would actually be interested in, since we are stuck with them for 2 years. Now they are dealing a bunch of upset employees who feel like they are being pushed around. Not good for morale. In previous years they always brought in a bunch of sample phones and let everyone play with them for a few days and then choose which one they wanted (from at least 8-10 different options). Guess maybe it was a lot of work on their end and they simply don't want the hassle anymore. Oh well, I guess I'll live with it. Thanks again for all the input.
Yeah, I hadn't really thought too much about how the exchange server comes into play. I still think it has more to do with the IT person just not wanting to have 3 different kinds of phones in the system. He's kind of a lazy guy who won't do any extra work unless it somehow benefits him. The thing that really annoys me about the whole policy is that they require us to keep our phones on and answer them 24-7, so that means it is a necessary tool to do our jobs (which I'm sure is why they are paying for it). If that weren't the case, I'd simply refuse the company phone and do my own thing, but I'm not willing to carry around 2 phones. It irritates me that they never bothered to see what phones the employees would actually be interested in, since we are stuck with them for 2 years. Now they are dealing a bunch of upset employees who feel like they are being pushed around. Not good for morale. In previous years they always brought in a bunch of sample phones and let everyone play with them for a few days and then choose which one they wanted (from at least 8-10 different options). Guess maybe it was a lot of work on their end and they simply don't want the hassle anymore. Oh well, I guess I'll live with it. Thanks again for all the input.

9 of 20 (2,559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 9:23:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Just carry two phones. It's fun Smiley Happy

Just carry two phones. It's fun Smiley Happy

10 of 20 (2,551 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 9:32:33 AM
(0)
Expert
Well You should feel lucky. I know some companies that are very large who only give one option. The bottom line (sorry but this has to be said) the employees need take what they are given and be quite about it. 3 very nice devices plus the company paying all the costs for the service one should not ask for more. If one was paying for all then I would agree but here the company is providing something great, picking up all the costs and at the same time insuring that they only deal with certain amount of devices to control security.
Well You should feel lucky. I know some companies that are very large who only give one option. The bottom line (sorry but this has to be said) the employees need take what they are given and be quite about it. 3 very nice devices plus the company paying all the costs for the service one should not ask for more. If one was paying for all then I would agree but here the company is providing something great, picking up all the costs and at the same time insuring that they only deal with certain amount of devices to control security.

11 of 20 (2,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 9:44:46 AM
(0)
Tutor
The key here is that we've never been one of those companies. We've had it so much better in the past, and no matter how good it seems to others on the outside, for us it sucks. It's like being given a ferrari for your company car one year and then a kia the following year. Even though you should be grateful you get a car at all you are still going to be upset about it. You can tell me I should just take it and be quiet, but I'm afraid if I did that I'd eventually go postal. Plus you never get what you don't ask for. I feel like this thread has gone off topic. Sorry about that.
The key here is that we've never been one of those companies. We've had it so much better in the past, and no matter how good it seems to others on the outside, for us it sucks. It's like being given a ferrari for your company car one year and then a kia the following year. Even though you should be grateful you get a car at all you are still going to be upset about it. You can tell me I should just take it and be quiet, but I'm afraid if I did that I'd eventually go postal. Plus you never get what you don't ask for. I feel like this thread has gone off topic. Sorry about that.

12 of 20 (2,060 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 10:29:15 AM
(0)
Expert
No issue life is tough. The bottom line if you get the iPhone you get the micro SIM and if you get the Blackberry you will have the BB plan. So in a sense you are tied to specific device plans. Now let's say you got the HTC and want to change the plan to accept the device, can you call at&t and have them change yhe plan or is this only controlled by your company. So if it is controlled by the company you will have a hard time getting the HTC going in your work number.
No issue life is tough. The bottom line if you get the iPhone you get the micro SIM and if you get the Blackberry you will have the BB plan. So in a sense you are tied to specific device plans. Now let's say you got the HTC and want to change the plan to accept the device, can you call at&t and have them change yhe plan or is this only controlled by your company. So if it is controlled by the company you will have a hard time getting the HTC going in your work number.

13 of 20 (2,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 10:37:03 AM
(0)
Tutor

Correct.  I had previously assumed that the data plans were the same for the iphone and the HTC inspire, which it sounds like is not true.  I doubt AT&T would make any changes to the account without corporate approval, which is where my plan falls apart.

I think I'll just get an iphone.

Correct.  I had previously assumed that the data plans were the same for the iphone and the HTC inspire, which it sounds like is not true.  I doubt AT&T would make any changes to the account without corporate approval, which is where my plan falls apart.

I think I'll just get an iphone.

14 of 20 (2,039 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 11:25:07 AM
(0)
Expert
Well that would be the good choice especially when you end up owning it. The iPhone value holds a lot more than the others.
Well that would be the good choice especially when you end up owning it. The iPhone value holds a lot more than the others.

15 of 20 (2,026 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 8:13:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Let me add a few comments in for you.  If you go with a Blackberry, then more than likely they will be using a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) which requires configuration of the specific Blackberry PIN in order for it to receive email.  I know as I have had to configure several phones in our email system.  If you are using an iPhone, it will most likely be using the Exchange Web Client interface to connect, and it still requires configuration to properly work.  Both of these will almost guarantee that your IT person will have to do some device specific configuration to make it work properly.  If you try to replace a company supplied device with a different one, there is a very good chance that you won't be able ot make it work right.

Additionally, it your company has any security in place, they should not allow non-company owned hardware onto their network without a pre-validation that the device is secure.  I know that a Blackberry can have a security profile set on it and pushed from the server.  An iPhone can be configured similarly requiring certain levels of encryption.  Where I work, you can get fired for allowing a non-company owned  device to access the company network/information.

One last note, most company cell phone plans have a pre-determined administrator.  If that administrator has not added you to the list of "authorized users" then you can not contact AT&T to request any changes to the acocunt.  One of my cow-orkers accidentally sent his blackberry through the laundry in his jeans pocket.  He placed the SIM card in an iPhone.  He could get the phone to work, but not the data, because he wasn't an AT&T authorizzed user so they wouldn't allow him to change the servce on his phone form Blackberry to iPhone.  This means that he could only use many of the phone features while on a wifi network, giving him many headaches, and preventing him from having the full remote email access that he was expected to have...

You may want to do some things, only to find later that you can't do what you want.  Just keep that in mind...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Let me add a few comments in for you.  If you go with a Blackberry, then more than likely they will be using a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) which requires configuration of the specific Blackberry PIN in order for it to receive email.  I know as I have had to configure several phones in our email system.  If you are using an iPhone, it will most likely be using the Exchange Web Client interface to connect, and it still requires configuration to properly work.  Both of these will almost guarantee that your IT person will have to do some device specific configuration to make it work properly.  If you try to replace a company supplied device with a different one, there is a very good chance that you won't be able ot make it work right.

Additionally, it your company has any security in place, they should not allow non-company owned hardware onto their network without a pre-validation that the device is secure.  I know that a Blackberry can have a security profile set on it and pushed from the server.  An iPhone can be configured similarly requiring certain levels of encryption.  Where I work, you can get fired for allowing a non-company owned  device to access the company network/information.

One last note, most company cell phone plans have a pre-determined administrator.  If that administrator has not added you to the list of "authorized users" then you can not contact AT&T to request any changes to the acocunt.  One of my cow-orkers accidentally sent his blackberry through the laundry in his jeans pocket.  He placed the SIM card in an iPhone.  He could get the phone to work, but not the data, because he wasn't an AT&T authorizzed user so they wouldn't allow him to change the servce on his phone form Blackberry to iPhone.  This means that he could only use many of the phone features while on a wifi network, giving him many headaches, and preventing him from having the full remote email access that he was expected to have...

You may want to do some things, only to find later that you can't do what you want.  Just keep that in mind...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

16 of 20 (1,987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 7:42:36 AM
(0)
Tutor

So I just spoke with our IT guy, and he is also upset about not having an android option. 

He tells me there's no extra work on his end to make an android phone work with our network, and there's no security issues, so I'm back to the question of whether or not AT&T will notice if I put the sim card from the iphone into the HTC inspire. 

As long as the iphone had a data plan, would they even care?  Would they simply switch that phone to the android data plan, assuming there is actually a difference in the data plans?  As long as they didn't call our account manager and ask for approval, I think I should be fine.  (even if they did, I could probably get her to approve it since she likes me)

Tempted to try it.  One thing I'm not sure of is what exactly to look for when buying an HTC inspire on ebay.  Are the sim cards the only thing that links a particular phone to an account?

So I just spoke with our IT guy, and he is also upset about not having an android option. 

He tells me there's no extra work on his end to make an android phone work with our network, and there's no security issues, so I'm back to the question of whether or not AT&T will notice if I put the sim card from the iphone into the HTC inspire. 

As long as the iphone had a data plan, would they even care?  Would they simply switch that phone to the android data plan, assuming there is actually a difference in the data plans?  As long as they didn't call our account manager and ask for approval, I think I should be fine.  (even if they did, I could probably get her to approve it since she likes me)

Tempted to try it.  One thing I'm not sure of is what exactly to look for when buying an HTC inspire on ebay.  Are the sim cards the only thing that links a particular phone to an account?

17 of 20 (1,955 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 7:51:48 AM
(0)
Master

kicknimble wrote:

You don't know if they will call your account manager and you assume she will approve your exception??????  Can ATT tell?  YES!  The cost of the plan may be the same but the plan needs to match the type of phone as features that go with it need to be aligned properly for the phones to fully take advantage of the features.  That different plan will show up on the bill if the company is paying for it.

You need to determine if you know better than the company and are you willing to tempt fate?  We don't know your company so having us bless your actions means nothing. 

As for the SIM card linking your phone to your account, that is correct.  You can go to an ATT store and get a new one if necessary once you get your phone from eBay.  It may cost you $25 but they will mostl likely just set you up for no cost.

kicknimble wrote:

You don't know if they will call your account manager and you assume she will approve your exception??????  Can ATT tell?  YES!  The cost of the plan may be the same but the plan needs to match the type of phone as features that go with it need to be aligned properly for the phones to fully take advantage of the features.  That different plan will show up on the bill if the company is paying for it.

You need to determine if you know better than the company and are you willing to tempt fate?  We don't know your company so having us bless your actions means nothing. 

As for the SIM card linking your phone to your account, that is correct.  You can go to an ATT store and get a new one if necessary once you get your phone from eBay.  It may cost you $25 but they will mostl likely just set you up for no cost.

18 of 20 (1,950 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 8:08:23 AM
(0)
Tutor

That is correct, I don't know if they will call, but if they do I might be able to get the account manager to approve it.  I need to decide whether or not I want to tell her ahead of time what I'm doing.  She usually is really cool about stuff like this, but this time the decision is coming from someone above her.

I guess I could go to the AT&T store and ask someone there what they would do in that scenario.  If they don't call and they simply switch the data plan, I'm not sure if she'll notice a change on the bill for one phone out of 50, but she might. 

Even so, it's not like I'll get fired for it.  They've never fired anybody in the 9 years I've been here, and there have been plenty that deserved to get fired for doing far worse than buying a different phone.

Thanks for the info on the sim cards.

That is correct, I don't know if they will call, but if they do I might be able to get the account manager to approve it.  I need to decide whether or not I want to tell her ahead of time what I'm doing.  She usually is really cool about stuff like this, but this time the decision is coming from someone above her.

I guess I could go to the AT&T store and ask someone there what they would do in that scenario.  If they don't call and they simply switch the data plan, I'm not sure if she'll notice a change on the bill for one phone out of 50, but she might. 

Even so, it's not like I'll get fired for it.  They've never fired anybody in the 9 years I've been here, and there have been plenty that deserved to get fired for doing far worse than buying a different phone.

Thanks for the info on the sim cards.

19 of 20 (1,940 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 8:17:20 AM
(0)
Expert
Since you said that this is above her, that would mean that should the higher ups ever find out about the deviation she could end up being in trouble. I don't think it is wise to put Some one in the wrong position with management over a cell phone. There is nothing worse than when an employee decides to bypass management's decisions and this could reflect badly on you if they ever find out. Just not worth it getting on their bad side for a cell phone.
Since you said that this is above her, that would mean that should the higher ups ever find out about the deviation she could end up being in trouble. I don't think it is wise to put Some one in the wrong position with management over a cell phone. There is nothing worse than when an employee decides to bypass management's decisions and this could reflect badly on you if they ever find out. Just not worth it getting on their bad side for a cell phone.

20 of 20 (1,935 Views)