Control Data Usage

Mentor

Control Data Usage

iPhone 4S. To avoid data usage for incoming Emails, how do you setup your phone when out of WIFI areas? I normally use my phone when away from home  to make and recieve calls. Don't want to download Emails unless in a WIFI area, as I udersatnd that that will count against data usage. How do I avoid automatic download of EMail?

Message 1 of 5 (491 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Control Data Usage

philrob wrote:

... How do I avoid automatic download of EMail?

Go into Settings->Email and turn off Push, and set your Fetch interval to manual.  Then it will only check for new emails when you open the email app.  Regretfully, it wil always check for new emails when you open the app, so if you are not on wifi and you want to open your email app, you would need to go into airplane mode, or turn of all cellular data...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5 (475 Views)
ACE - Professor

philrob wrote:

iPhone 4S. To avoid data usage for incoming Emails, how do you setup your phone when out of WIFI areas? I normally use my phone when away from home  to make and recieve calls. Don't want to download Emails unless in a WIFI area, as I udersatnd that that will count against data usage. How do I avoid automatic download of EMail?

You can just turn off cellular data if you want to avoid using cellular data.

I take it you're on the 200-300MB plan? On the 2-3GB plans I would not worry about email usage unless people are emailing you HD video attachments.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 5 (436 Views)
Mentor

Thanks. If I understand correctly, if we turn PUSH off and set FETCH to manual, no data for Email will be used UNLESS we use Mail app. Now, what if we go to SETTINGS, NETWORK, and turn CELL DATA off. Will that make the mail app unusable except when in a WIFI area? Appreciate your comments- very helpful.

Message 4 of 5 (434 Views)
ACE - Master

philrob wrote:

Thanks. If I understand correctly, if we turn PUSH off and set FETCH to manual, no data for Email will be used UNLESS we use Mail app. Now, what if we go to SETTINGS, NETWORK, and turn CELL DATA off. Will that make the mail app unusable except when in a WIFI area? Appreciate your comments- very helpful.

Yes, as Johninsj responded, turning off cellular data will make all apps stop using the cellular network data (including visual voice mail, and MMS messenging which only work in cellular data).  The Cell Data flag in setting stops all apps form using the data portion of your AT&T bill.  If you want some to use data, and others to not, there is no easy way (and possibly no way at all) to setup your iPhone to specify which apps can use the cell data network, and which ones use only wifi.  If the app itself has the options, then you could use that, but the base iOS apps, don't normally have that.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
Message 5 of 5 (416 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.