Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 1, 2011
2:05:49 PM
View profile
Contract terminated, can I sell my iPhone?

Circumstances prevented me from being able to pay my bill, and my contract was terminated. I would like to sell my iPhone in order to cover (some) of the costs of my ETF, and I have read here that there is no problem in doing that. I know that the bill is my responsibility, and now that things are finally starting to look up, I plan to sell my iPhone and pay the balance asap.

That said, I don't want to stick someone with an iPhone 4 that they can't activate. I've been unable to find much reliable info online, despite hours of searching. So...if I sell my phone, will they be able to activate it on their own line despite my balance owed? Some say that AT&T locks the IMEI and others say that they do not. If I can sell it, do I need to do anything other than give them the phone for them to be able to activate it themselves on their own account?

Like I said, I'm not trying to post a sob story about my situation...mainly, I want to make sure that the buyer can actually use it. 

Circumstances prevented me from being able to pay my bill, and my contract was terminated. I would like to sell my iPhone in order to cover (some) of the costs of my ETF, and I have read here that there is no problem in doing that. I know that the bill is my responsibility, and now that things are finally starting to look up, I plan to sell my iPhone and pay the balance asap.

That said, I don't want to stick someone with an iPhone 4 that they can't activate. I've been unable to find much reliable info online, despite hours of searching. So...if I sell my phone, will they be able to activate it on their own line despite my balance owed? Some say that AT&T locks the IMEI and others say that they do not. If I can sell it, do I need to do anything other than give them the phone for them to be able to activate it themselves on their own account?

Like I said, I'm not trying to post a sob story about my situation...mainly, I want to make sure that the buyer can actually use it. 

Contract terminated, can I sell my iPhone?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2011 2:12:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
If you were charged and ETF, that takes care of the phone. It is yours to do with as you wish. You can sell it to help cover the cost of the ETF.
AT&T does not blacklist IMEIs, even stolen ones, so yours should not be a problem.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
If you were charged and ETF, that takes care of the phone. It is yours to do with as you wish. You can sell it to help cover the cost of the ETF.
AT&T does not blacklist IMEIs, even stolen ones, so yours should not be a problem.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Contract terminated, can I sell my iPhone?

2 of 5 (1,233 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2011 2:15:28 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for your quick response, kdfederer!

Should I remove the Sim? I did do a full restore on the phone through itunes, and set it up as a new phone, but I think it still shows my phone number listed on the device details. 

(Sorry for all of the questions, I know this is a strange situation)

Thanks for your quick response, kdfederer!

Should I remove the Sim? I did do a full restore on the phone through itunes, and set it up as a new phone, but I think it still shows my phone number listed on the device details. 

(Sorry for all of the questions, I know this is a strange situation)

3 of 5 (1,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2011 2:27:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Yes remove the SIM, make whoever buys it get a new one.
Yes remove the SIM, make whoever buys it get a new one.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 5 (1,220 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2011 3:51:06 PM
(0)
Former Employee
Yes, remove the sim. Whoever buys it can't use that sim anyway.
Yes, remove the sim. Whoever buys it can't use that sim anyway.

5 of 5 (1,201 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments