Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Aug 27, 2011
7:37:28 AM
View profile
Considering purchasing a microcell but not sure the best route to go?

I have a bundle with ATT that includes hm phone, internet, wireless and dish network. My wireless signal is horrible. I am thinking about purchasing a microcel tower to help with that issue. With having to shell out the money for the tower I was considering dropping my landline? But, here's the question? If I drop my landline will I lose my DSL internet service therefore not be able to use a microcell tower?

I have a bundle with ATT that includes hm phone, internet, wireless and dish network. My wireless signal is horrible. I am thinking about purchasing a microcel tower to help with that issue. With having to shell out the money for the tower I was considering dropping my landline? But, here's the question? If I drop my landline will I lose my DSL internet service therefore not be able to use a microcell tower?

Considering purchasing a microcell but not sure the best route to go?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 12:16:43 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Aug 29, 2011 at 12:18:07 AM

4mygrls wrote:

The DSL line uses the same cable pair as the phone line. As far as I know, after they remove the landline, they should not re-assign the cable pair to your neighbor because the cable pair is still live and assigned to your DSL.

OTOH, there's a downside to doing without a landline because you will loose the Automatic Line Identification for E911 that has your home address. Just so that you know ahead of time what's going to happen.

4mygrls wrote:

The DSL line uses the same cable pair as the phone line. As far as I know, after they remove the landline, they should not re-assign the cable pair to your neighbor because the cable pair is still live and assigned to your DSL.

OTOH, there's a downside to doing without a landline because you will loose the Automatic Line Identification for E911 that has your home address. Just so that you know ahead of time what's going to happen.

Re: Considering purchasing a microcell but not sure the best route to go?

[ Edited ]
2 of 6 (502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 6:54:46 AM
(0)
Teacher
The Microcell supports 911 calls.

3 of 6 (492 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 7:21:51 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Aug 29, 2011 at 7:51:23 AM

Kimen wrote:

Just to clarify. Yes you probably can call 911 using a cell phone going through the Microcell.  However, it is the call details that I need clarification on.

Do you mean that using a cell phone through the Microcell to call 911, the 911 call receiver can see the Microcell owner's home address on the console?

Kimen wrote:

Just to clarify. Yes you probably can call 911 using a cell phone going through the Microcell.  However, it is the call details that I need clarification on.

Do you mean that using a cell phone through the Microcell to call 911, the 911 call receiver can see the Microcell owner's home address on the console?

[ Edited ]
4 of 6 (489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 7:59:26 AM
(0)
Guru
In principle, if your area sports E911, then whoever te provider is - cell, VoIP, whatever - should be able to give an address or other location data to the operator on the other end. The question becomes how accurate that data is. Alas, because it's usually against the law to call 911 except in an emergency, there's no way for an individual to test it. You just have to take your provider's word for it.

Generally, you should always be prepared to give the operator as much information as you can about your situation.

In our case, we have an alarm system with a GSM module with a T-mobile SIM. If you push the panic button, the call center knows exactly who and where we are and has an idea what's wrong before they call us.
In principle, if your area sports E911, then whoever te provider is - cell, VoIP, whatever - should be able to give an address or other location data to the operator on the other end. The question becomes how accurate that data is. Alas, because it's usually against the law to call 911 except in an emergency, there's no way for an individual to test it. You just have to take your provider's word for it.

Generally, you should always be prepared to give the operator as much information as you can about your situation.

In our case, we have an alarm system with a GSM module with a T-mobile SIM. If you push the panic button, the call center knows exactly who and where we are and has an idea what's wrong before they call us.

5 of 6 (477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 3:36:00 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Aug 29, 2011 at 3:48:18 PM

nsayer, well explained. Yah, it's a question of location accuracy: home address vs latitude & longitude. It's easier to find a home address as opposed to latitude & longitude that would likely be converted to an x on the map for the incident response team. I don't rule out the possibility of a city address being associated with a Microcell or other devices. Just that this is something new and so I asked to be sure I learn something.

Thanks for sharing.

PS. In my earlier post I mentioned Automatic Line Identification but that should have been "Automatic Location Identification".

nsayer, well explained. Yah, it's a question of location accuracy: home address vs latitude & longitude. It's easier to find a home address as opposed to latitude & longitude that would likely be converted to an x on the map for the incident response team. I don't rule out the possibility of a city address being associated with a Microcell or other devices. Just that this is something new and so I asked to be sure I learn something.

Thanks for sharing.

PS. In my earlier post I mentioned Automatic Line Identification but that should have been "Automatic Location Identification".

[ Edited ]
6 of 6 (451 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments