Helpful Links

Connecting with WiFi

Scholar

Connecting with WiFi

I turn on WiFi on the phone - GS II - and it does recognize my wireless router (which is about five feet away), says the signal strength is "excellent" but says that it's continuously "Obtaining IP address and has a "Forget" button underneath it - have no idea what that is. I previously put the router's password in. This same thing happened with another phone that I tried to link. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 15
Master

Re: Connecting with WiFi

Does your router need the MAC address of the phone added to the list of allowed devices on the router?
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 15
Scholar

How could I check that?

Message 3 of 15

I'm having the same problem with the original Captivate. It always connected to my router fine. Nothing changed as far as my internet connection goes. Suddenly one day it wouldn't connect, I restarted the phone, still hangs at obtaining IP address and then can't connect. I saw another thread somewhere that said to try clicking the All Share app & connect that way. It worked! I figured it would resolve itself but it's been almost 2 weeks & I constantly have to connect using All Share. It recognizes there is a Wifi connection, just won't connect unless I click on All Share first. It's becoming extremely annoying & I don't understand why it just started doing this out of the blue. I even tried resetting my internet connection so it had a new IP in case that was the issue but still didn't work.

Message 4 of 15
Expert

12Chris34 wrote:

I turn on WiFi on the phone - GS II - and it does recognize my wireless router (which is about five feet away), says the signal strength is "excellent" but says that it's continuously "Obtaining IP address and has a "Forget" button underneath it - have no idea what that is. I previously put the router's password in. This same thing happened with another phone that I tried to link. Any ideas?

what encryption method are you using on the wireless router, if it is WAP a lot of te newer phones have issues with that old of a encryption method - current is a form of WEP

Message 5 of 15

No, WEP is old, WPA2 is the new stuff.

Message 6 of 15
Expert

Entropy512 wrote:

No, WEP is old, WPA2 is the new stuff.

transposed the A and the P, I do that a lot. in any respect you are right, there are still a ton of wireless modems in the wild that are old enough not to have the ability to connect WPA2 and only have WEP. Have run into this issue numerous times over the last year or so.

Bought my father inlaw a new Alienware laptop and he could not get it connected wirelessly, turned out his wireless router did not support WPA / WPA2

Message 7 of 15
Scholar

It's WEP? Any workaround?

Message 8 of 15
Master

Can the router be changed to WPA or WPA2? Update the firmware on the router? Or time for a new router?
Message 9 of 15

I HAVE YOUR SOLUTION!  

I have been working for almost 4 weeks to find the solution to my Captivate Galaxy S doing the exact same thing of one morning waking up and I can no longer connect to my home hotspot.   AT&T forwarded me to Samsung who told me to factory reset the phone - I lost everything, but the home hotspot worked.....for 2 weeks and then it failed again.   Samsung Tier 3 told me to send the phone back (for at least 6 days it would be gone) and they would fix it.   Yeah right.   Um, no.    

It is NOT the router or the phone's connection to the router!

A file has to be deleted from your root directory on the phone:   dhcp_list which is located here:

/data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list

First, you have to root the phone.   I used SuperOneClick.     Z4root did NOT work for my phone.    SuperOneClick is very easy to use.  

Second, you have to download Root Explorer from the Market.    Bite the bullet and pay 3.99, it works if you want to solve this problem.

Use Root explorer to delete the file and Voila!   Problem SOLVED!

p.s.   apparently it is a Droid 2.2 problem and will be solved when we are FINALLY able to update with Gingerbread

Message 10 of 15

ADB will let you delete it once rooted without paying for Root Explorer

Edit:  I should try and see if this fixes my problems with UCKK2 on the Infuse

Message 11 of 15
Master

SouthernBlonde wrote:
" p.s. apparently it is a Droid 2.2 problem and will be solved when we are FINALLY able to update with Gingerbread"

It is "Android 2.2 (FroYo)" not "Droid 2.2". DROID is a licensed brand from Lucas Films to Verizon for a line of Verizon's Android phones.
Message 12 of 15
Scholar

This is running 2.3.4...so would that still be an issue?

Message 13 of 15
Scholar

I have a 2Wire gateway 2700HG-B. I can't figure anything out on their site. How would I upgrade the firmware on this...if it's possible?

Message 14 of 15
Highlighted

Is 2.3.4 Gingerbread?    I read somewhere that Gingerbread had corrected the issue but maybe that version did not.    I would try it.     Samsung is telling people there is no solution because they don't want them to root the phone.    They want to keep your phone for over a week so they can root it and fix it and send back.   But guess what.....you'll only have the same problem again.    At least I can fix my problem in 5 seconds now.

Message 15 of 15
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support