Configuring an IMAP email account on the Atrix 2 can't send

Configuring an IMAP email account on the Atrix 2 can't send

The most frustrating thing is it WAS working. I got the phone, set up IMAP access to my exchange server mailbox, which I have used with my previous phone and also use with Outlook on my laptop when I'm traveling and not connected to the office network.

Receive was easy. Worked immediately.

Send was a bit tougher. I had to tweak something and then it worked. I sent a couple of emails to test it and they got sent fine.

Later, I tried to send and got a message from the notification thing that it hadn't been sent. No real explanation.

I tried again and no luck.

So the next day, with some time, I tried every conceivable combination of settings for send mail and nothing works.

In the IMAP set up in Outlook, my send mail settings are as follows:

On the opening screen of the Internet Email Setup dialogs, "Required Logon Using Secure Password Authentication" is NOT checked.

Under "More settings . . .", on the Outgoing Server tab, "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" IS checked.

Also on that tab, the radio button for "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" is ON.

On the Advanced tab, the "Incoming server (IMAP)" port is 143 and the "Outgoing server (SMTP)" port is 25.

Both "User the following type of incrypted connection" boxes are set to NONE.

This setup works perfectly in Outlook when I am connected to the internet via a wireless hotel network or using my ATT cellular modem to access the internet. I can get new mail, send mail, move mail around in my various outlook folders and subfolders - basically anything I can do at my desk when connected directly to the Exchange Server via the office network, I can do remotely using the IMAP mail account.

How can I get the mail app on the Atrix to do this also?

Message 1 of 6 (677 Views)

Re: Configuring an IMAP email account on the Atrix 2 can't send

PS - Generally, the ATT notificaton says that there is an authentication error, but some combinations don't offer that explanation. They just say the email wasn't sent.

Message 2 of 6 (675 Views)
Master

Mobile settings are different from the email settings in Outlook. Have you checked on Motorola's website? They have a great chart listing most if not close to all email providers and their mobile email settings.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 6 (671 Views)

I saw that list but my email provider is the company server. It is running Exchange Server 2003 and provides an IMAP mailbox that is really just a duplicate of the exchange mailbox. Our server, of course, is not on Motorola's list.
Message 4 of 6 (665 Views)
Master

wallypiper wrote:
I saw that list but my email provider is the company server. It is running Exchange Server 2003 and provides an IMAP mailbox that is really just a duplicate of the exchange mailbox. Our server, of course, is not on Motorola's list.
Then you need to work with your company's IT department to get the settings right. Did you ever set it up as an exchange account? Or use K-9 mail or Touchdown.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 6 (661 Views)

I tried K9 briefly but didn't like it at all and it couldn't sent make either. There is no "coporate IT department". We have a total of 7 employees, 2 of which know a tiny bit about Exchange Server.

Maybe I'll look at Touchdown. Haven't heard of that before. The settings I am using on the Atrix are as close to those used in Outlook's IMAP and SMTP setups as possible but not all of the settings are identified the same way. And it DID work for about 4 hours the first day I had it. Then it stopped working and now it seems hopeless. So here I am. Hoping, in fact, to find somebody with enough experience with the SMTP settings in Exchange Server to help me unravel it.

I can't set it up as exchange because our server is not configured to allow remote access directly to exchange. You can only access it via an IMAP mailbox or by using the Outlook browser version from the web. I'm not sure how we even got that set up frankly. I think it may have been a bit of blind luck but it has worked great for accessing my email from the road from both my laptop and from my previous phone (a Nokia 6650).

The Nokia would occasionally become unable to send and had to be reset by pulling the battery out and rebooting. I would do that with the Atrix but have to figure out how to back up stuff first (just got it yesterday). I read somewhere today that you might need to do a "hard reset" or something like that to clear up a balky problem like this and that much customization and configuration would be lost in the process. Luckily, I haven't done much of that yet buy my contacts are all on there, copied from my Nokia by the salesman at the ATT store.

Message 6 of 6 (656 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.