Communication Manager Timing Out Causing Laptop to Freeze (Event ID 256)

Tutor

Communication Manager Timing Out Causing Laptop to Freeze (Event ID 256)

I just recently purchased USBConnect 881 card and installed it on my Windows XP Pro (SP2) laptop.  Within 5 minutes of my reboot after the install, my computer locked up indefinitely.  I rebooted and tried again, and had the same result.  I disabled the AT&T Communications Manager and turned off the function to auto-start as well as the 'make this my default wireless manager' option, and my laptop came back to life again without freezing.  That is, of course, until I tried to use the Connect card again and about 10 minutes after using the Communications Manager the same 'freezing' occured.

In my Event Manager, I get several entries with the following descrption:
Event ID: 256         Type: Warning        Source: PlugPlayManager
Timed out sending notification of device interface change to window of "C:\Program Files\AT&T\Communication Manager\ATTCM.exe"

There is also one entry with this:
Event ID: 256         Type: Warning        Source: PlugPlayManager
Timed out sending notification of device interface change to window of "ModemDeviceChange"

I haven't been able to successfully use the Connect card without a system freeze + reboot to this point.  It works great during that 10 minute period though.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chad
Message 1 of 2
Tutor

Re: Communication Manager Timing Out Causing Laptop to Freeze (Event ID 256)

Is there a support forum or number to call for issues like this?  I doesn't look like anyone has any idea how to fix this, and the freezing is making the Connect card useless.  At this point, I think the easiest thing is to return it within the 30 day period and try one of the other service providers out.
Message 2 of 2
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support