Wireless Forums

Posted Apr 24, 2008
11:36:22 PM
Communication Manager Timing Out Causing Laptop to Freeze (Event ID 256)
I just recently purchased USBConnect 881 card and installed it on my Windows XP Pro (SP2) laptop.  Within 5 minutes of my reboot after the install, my computer locked up indefinitely.  I rebooted and tried again, and had the same result.  I disabled the AT&T Communications Manager and turned off the function to auto-start as well as the 'make this my default wireless manager' option, and my laptop came back to life again without freezing.  That is, of course, until I tried to use the Connect card again and about 10 minutes after using the Communications Manager the same 'freezing' occured.

In my Event Manager, I get several entries with the following descrption:
Event ID: 256         Type: Warning        Source: PlugPlayManager
Timed out sending notification of device interface change to window of "C:\Program Files\AT&T\Communication Manager\ATTCM.exe"

There is also one entry with this:
Timed out sending notification of device interface change to window of "ModemDeviceChange"

I haven't been able to successfully use the Connect card without a system freeze + reboot to this point.  It works great during that 10 minute period though.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chad
I just recently purchased USBConnect 881 card and installed it on my Windows XP Pro (SP2) laptop.  Within 5 minutes of my reboot after the install, my computer locked up indefinitely.  I rebooted and tried again, and had the same result.  I disabled the AT&T Communications Manager and turned off the function to auto-start as well as the 'make this my default wireless manager' option, and my laptop came back to life again without freezing.  That is, of course, until I tried to use the Connect card again and about 10 minutes after using the Communications Manager the same 'freezing' occured.

In my Event Manager, I get several entries with the following descrption:
Timed out sending notification of device interface change to window of "C:\Program Files\AT&T\Communication Manager\ATTCM.exe"

There is also one entry with this:
Timed out sending notification of device interface change to window of "ModemDeviceChange"

I haven't been able to successfully use the Connect card without a system freeze + reboot to this point.  It works great during that 10 minute period though.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chad

Communication Manager Timing Out Causing Laptop to Freeze (Event ID 256)

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2008 2:09:05 PM
(0)
Tutor
Is there a support forum or number to call for issues like this?  I doesn't look like anyone has any idea how to fix this, and the freezing is making the Connect card useless.  At this point, I think the easiest thing is to return it within the 30 day period and try one of the other service providers out.
Is there a support forum or number to call for issues like this?  I doesn't look like anyone has any idea how to fix this, and the freezing is making the Connect card useless.  At this point, I think the easiest thing is to return it within the 30 day period and try one of the other service providers out.

Re: Communication Manager Timing Out Causing Laptop to Freeze (Event ID 256)

2 of 2 (2,018 Views)