Combine ipad Data plan and iPhone on same bill?

Tutor

Combine ipad Data plan and iPhone on same bill?

Hi all -- 

I'd like consolidate my iPad and iPhone plans to both be on one, post-paid bill.  The iPad data plan is "pre-paid"  -- I signed up via the iPad settings panel.  The iPhone plan is post-paid: I get a monthly bill that lists data, calls, etc.  

The phone rep was initially unsure about how to do this, but eventually told me I need to go into a store and get a new SIM card.  That sounds drastic for a simple billing request.  Can this be right? 

Many thanks, folks.

(question originally posted in iPhone forum)

Message 1 of 7 (8,067 Views)
Guru

Re: Combine ipad Data plan and iPhone on same bill?

That is correct.  I don't believe the billing system allows the number transfer from a session based Ipad to a postpaid Ipad. You will need a new sim card.  If you already had a sim card that's never been activated before, then it could be done over the phone as an add a line with pre owned equipment. 

Message 2 of 7 (8,057 Views)
Employee

You need the new sim as the iPad is going to go from prepaid to postpaid.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 7 (8,008 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Hi all -- thought I would circle back to close this thread.  The above answers were incorrect -- I was able to do this over the phone.  The group that was able to help was the "secondary sales group."  866-662-4548.  All I had to do was cancel my prepaid account and sign up for a postpaid account.  They were happy to grandfather my $25/month data rate. The phone rep  had me read off some settings from the phone, assigned me a new iPad phone number which I had to call to activate, and voila.

The hard part was working through the system to find someone who knew what they were doing.  They should triple that guy's salary!

Message 4 of 7 (7,897 Views)
Guru

it's easy to do over the phone as an add a line, customer care can do that too like i mentioned before. the only hard part was the sim card. were you able to keep the same one, or did they mail you one out or have you pick one up at a store?

I've been able to do that for customers over the phone before plenty of times when i worked for customer care, but ive never been able to let them keep the same sim card as the system wouldn't allow me.
Message 5 of 7 (7,890 Views)
Tutor

Same SIM card!  The rep did have to dig into my iPad (settings->about) to get some unusual entries (IMEI, ICCID).  He also had to select a new phone number for my iPad that was in the same area code as my iPhone.  Perhaps this is the technique that avoids having to put in a new sim card.

Message 6 of 7 (7,871 Views)
Guru

that is awesome. i didn't realize they have the ability to use the same sim card
Message 7 of 7 (7,867 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.