Colorado dealer wants $25 for SIM card and $20 to activate new service

Contributor

Colorado dealer wants $25 for SIM card and $20 to activate new service

I've been a loyal and frequent customer of the GoPhone prepaid SIM. Everytime I travel to the US, 2-3 times every 2-3 years, my first stop is to go to the AT&T store in NYC and get a couple of SIM cards for my family.

Thought I'd just do the same in Colorado but I was told that AT&T now charge for the SIM card and an activation fee. When pressed, the manager said the card was free if I buy airtime (which I had already told her I would) but was told that there would still be a $20 activation fee. I said there's no mention of that on the brochure, nor in my past purchases. She finally admitted that it was their store's policy to charge the activation as it was their only way of making money from a prepaid customer.

Does AT&T really allow its dealers to charge whatever they want for an activation fee and SIM card fee???

Message 1 of 8 (798 Views)
Former Employee

Re: Colorado dealer wants $25 for SIM card and $20 to activate new service

It's not a corporate store! "Dealers" can charge anything they want, they're their own businesses, they just resell AT&T's products. Find a corporate store and only deal with corporate stores.

Message 2 of 8 (787 Views)
Contributor

Is there a store finder somewhere that lists only corporate stores?

Message 3 of 8 (784 Views)
Master

That doesn't sound right at all. If the SIM is not free, you're out $25. That's not too bad. But requiring an additional $20 to activate the service while you can do it free yourself is absolutely incorrect.

AT&T corporate stores are fairly easy to distinguish. They are usually their own separate building. You can usually tell the difference from a corporate store compared to an authorized retailer. Corporate stores are more independent and are much more helpful. I'm not sure about a corp. store locator...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 8 (772 Views)
Contributor

Agree. I've never paid for the SIM nor activation at the AT&T stores in NYC, LA and San Fran.

That's why I just walked away.

In the small towns, there's no choice, so it's AT&T's loss in this case.

Message 5 of 8 (770 Views)

I have purchased AT&T SIM cards on Ebay for about $2.

Message 6 of 8 (730 Views)
Master

A steal, huh, Mr. Kimble?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 7 of 8 (728 Views)
Highlighted

>>>>>A steal, huh, Mr. Kimble?<<<<

Yep, and I can't blame this one on a one-armed man.

Message 8 of 8 (706 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.