Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 29, 2011
4:29:02 PM
View profile
Colorado dealer wants $25 for SIM card and $20 to activate new service

I've been a loyal and frequent customer of the GoPhone prepaid SIM. Everytime I travel to the US, 2-3 times every 2-3 years, my first stop is to go to the AT&T store in NYC and get a couple of SIM cards for my family.

Thought I'd just do the same in Colorado but I was told that AT&T now charge for the SIM card and an activation fee. When pressed, the manager said the card was free if I buy airtime (which I had already told her I would) but was told that there would still be a $20 activation fee. I said there's no mention of that on the brochure, nor in my past purchases. She finally admitted that it was their store's policy to charge the activation as it was their only way of making money from a prepaid customer.

Does AT&T really allow its dealers to charge whatever they want for an activation fee and SIM card fee???

I've been a loyal and frequent customer of the GoPhone prepaid SIM. Everytime I travel to the US, 2-3 times every 2-3 years, my first stop is to go to the AT&T store in NYC and get a couple of SIM cards for my family.

Thought I'd just do the same in Colorado but I was told that AT&T now charge for the SIM card and an activation fee. When pressed, the manager said the card was free if I buy airtime (which I had already told her I would) but was told that there would still be a $20 activation fee. I said there's no mention of that on the brochure, nor in my past purchases. She finally admitted that it was their store's policy to charge the activation as it was their only way of making money from a prepaid customer.

Does AT&T really allow its dealers to charge whatever they want for an activation fee and SIM card fee???

Colorado dealer wants $25 for SIM card and $20 to activate new service

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 7:21:30 PM
(0)
Former Employee

It's not a corporate store! "Dealers" can charge anything they want, they're their own businesses, they just resell AT&T's products. Find a corporate store and only deal with corporate stores.

It's not a corporate store! "Dealers" can charge anything they want, they're their own businesses, they just resell AT&T's products. Find a corporate store and only deal with corporate stores.

Re: Colorado dealer wants $25 for SIM card and $20 to activate new service

2 of 8 (748 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 7:26:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

Is there a store finder somewhere that lists only corporate stores?

Is there a store finder somewhere that lists only corporate stores?

3 of 8 (745 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 2:13:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
That doesn't sound right at all. If the SIM is not free, you're out $25. That's not too bad. But requiring an additional $20 to activate the service while you can do it free yourself is absolutely incorrect.

AT&T corporate stores are fairly easy to distinguish. They are usually their own separate building. You can usually tell the difference from a corporate store compared to an authorized retailer. Corporate stores are more independent and are much more helpful. I'm not sure about a corp. store locator...

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

That doesn't sound right at all. If the SIM is not free, you're out $25. That's not too bad. But requiring an additional $20 to activate the service while you can do it free yourself is absolutely incorrect.

AT&T corporate stores are fairly easy to distinguish. They are usually their own separate building. You can usually tell the difference from a corporate store compared to an authorized retailer. Corporate stores are more independent and are much more helpful. I'm not sure about a corp. store locator...

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 8 (733 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 30, 2011 2:15:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

Agree. I've never paid for the SIM nor activation at the AT&T stores in NYC, LA and San Fran.

That's why I just walked away.

In the small towns, there's no choice, so it's AT&T's loss in this case.

Agree. I've never paid for the SIM nor activation at the AT&T stores in NYC, LA and San Fran.

That's why I just walked away.

In the small towns, there's no choice, so it's AT&T's loss in this case.

5 of 8 (731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 6:27:05 PM
(0)
Scholar

I have purchased AT&T SIM cards on Ebay for about $2.

I have purchased AT&T SIM cards on Ebay for about $2.

6 of 8 (691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2012 6:31:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
A steal, huh, Mr. Kimble?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

A steal, huh, Mr. Kimble?

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 8 (689 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2012 4:16:50 PM
(0)
Scholar

>>>>>A steal, huh, Mr. Kimble?<<<<

Yep, and I can't blame this one on a one-armed man.

>>>>>A steal, huh, Mr. Kimble?<<<<

Yep, and I can't blame this one on a one-armed man.

8 of 8 (667 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments