Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 25, 2008
12:21:05 PM
View profile
Collect Calls
My son is in jail.  I need to receive collect calls.  Can I add that to my plan?

My son is in jail.  I need to receive collect calls.  Can I add that to my plan?

Collect Calls

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2008 12:35:28 PM
(0)
Master
In general, collect calls are not available for AT&T cellular customers.  However this was posted a while ago.  I have never used the service, but you may want to inquire about it.
In general, collect calls are not available for AT&T cellular customers.  However this was posted a while ago.  I have never used the service, but you may want to inquire about it.

Re: Collect Calls

2 of 4 (11,140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2008 1:56:15 PM
(0)
Scholar
I had a relative who was incarcerated recently and wanted to make collect calls to a cellphone.  There's a Correctional Billing System that handles that, but you, the cell phone user, prepays upfront for all the calls.  At the time they wanted a minimum payment of $250 of prepaid airtime, no less.  On top of that, they were the surliest, rudest company I ever dealt with.  They did every thing short of calling me a deadbeat because I didn't want to pay $250 for one phone call and treated me like garbage because I wanted to talk to someone that was in jail.

So yes, it is possible, but at what cost?
I had a relative who was incarcerated recently and wanted to make collect calls to a cellphone.  There's a Correctional Billing System that handles that, but you, the cell phone user, prepays upfront for all the calls.  At the time they wanted a minimum payment of $250 of prepaid airtime, no less.  On top of that, they were the surliest, rudest company I ever dealt with.  They did every thing short of calling me a deadbeat because I didn't want to pay $250 for one phone call and treated me like garbage because I wanted to talk to someone that was in jail.

So yes, it is possible, but at what cost?

3 of 4 (11,132 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2008 11:13:08 PM
(0)
Contributor
I do know that at some places where they sell calling cards, there is some kind of global calling card you can buy and setup to use on cell phones. My  friend was kind of in the same situation and that's what he did. He said the card he bought was like $25.00 plus tax and his girlfriend could call him 5 times. I myself am looking into it and will keep you updated.
I do know that at some places where they sell calling cards, there is some kind of global calling card you can buy and setup to use on cell phones. My  friend was kind of in the same situation and that's what he did. He said the card he bought was like $25.00 plus tax and his girlfriend could call him 5 times. I myself am looking into it and will keep you updated.

4 of 4 (10,646 Views)