Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 21, 2010
11:18:02 AM
Chicago Microcell Outage

My two microcells have had blinking 3G lights since this morning. I finally called AT&T and was told there's an Microcell outage in the Chiicago area. They don't have an estimated time to repair.

My two microcells have had blinking 3G lights since this morning. I finally called AT&T and was told there's an Microcell outage in the Chiicago area. They don't have an estimated time to repair.

Chicago Microcell Outage

32 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(32)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 11:39:02 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yup, hasn't been working here all morning out near Rockford.  Just the blinking 3G bars.

Effin thing has dropped calls and had all manner of problems since we got it, now I can't even call to complain about it.

I have ZERO signal without, so I'm screwed till they fix it.

Yup, hasn't been working here all morning out near Rockford.  Just the blinking 3G bars.

Effin thing has dropped calls and had all manner of problems since we got it, now I can't even call to complain about it.

I have ZERO signal without, so I'm screwed till they fix it.

Re: Chicago Microcell Outage

2 of 33 (2,583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 12:36:51 PM
(0)
Contributor

Down in the loop also -- at 2.30pm they still don't know what's wrong..

Down in the loop also -- at 2.30pm they still don't know what's wrong..

3 of 33 (2,553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 1:08:13 PM
(0)
Teacher

3G is down in northern Indiana all together around South Bend, microcell's and towers the phones show a 3G signal but have virtually no data coverage mine has tested out with 7000+ms latency and okbps download and only about 50-56kbps upload. Normally I have 120-250ms and 3400+kbps download and 1200-2300kbps upload. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a regional 3G outage of some sort.

3G is down in northern Indiana all together around South Bend, microcell's and towers the phones show a 3G signal but have virtually no data coverage mine has tested out with 7000+ms latency and okbps download and only about 50-56kbps upload. Normally I have 120-250ms and 3400+kbps download and 1200-2300kbps upload. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a regional 3G outage of some sort.

4 of 33 (2,543 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 2:09:39 PM
(0)
Teacher
Microcell down all day on Lakeview. Called AT&T and was told the tower is down on Belmont & Racine. They could not give a time when servicecwas expected to be back up. Said to call back tonight if service is not restored.
Microcell down all day on Lakeview. Called AT&T and was told the tower is down on Belmont & Racine. They could not give a time when servicecwas expected to be back up. Said to call back tonight if service is not restored.

5 of 33 (2,500 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 3:00:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

Just talked to ATT.  Wisconsin is also effected.  No eta for resolution.  Would have been nice if ATT would have sent out a text message.

Just talked to ATT.  Wisconsin is also effected.  No eta for resolution.  Would have been nice if ATT would have sent out a text message.

6 of 33 (2,485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 5:34:56 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm experiencing data problems on my phone in Denver, Colorado. Could this be part of the same thing?

I'm experiencing data problems on my phone in Denver, Colorado. Could this be part of the same thing?

7 of 33 (2,382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 5:38:51 PM
(0)
Teacher
AT&T now says the outage in Chicago is more widespread. Advised to try again in the morning. No update on when the towers will be back up. Asked for an inconvenience credit.
AT&T now says the outage in Chicago is more widespread. Advised to try again in the morning. No update on when the towers will be back up. Asked for an inconvenience credit.

8 of 33 (2,376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 6:05:15 PM
(0)
Contributor

Me too.....I live about 70 miles southwest of Chicago and the 3G lights have been blinking all day.  I did not check the message boards before I called ATT about the issue.  Wish I had.  The "customer service" tech offered to send me to a pay per use service to "fix" my connectivity issues.  ahahhah double pay for a service that I am already supposed to be receiving.  What a joke!

Me too.....I live about 70 miles southwest of Chicago and the 3G lights have been blinking all day.  I did not check the message boards before I called ATT about the issue.  Wish I had.  The "customer service" tech offered to send me to a pay per use service to "fix" my connectivity issues.  ahahhah double pay for a service that I am already supposed to be receiving.  What a joke!

9 of 33 (2,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 6:48:36 PM
(0)
Teacher

Down in Northern Wisconsin as well.  System has been good for the last 5 months until today.

Down in Northern Wisconsin as well.  System has been good for the last 5 months until today.

10 of 33 (2,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 7:45:48 PM
(0)
Contributor

MicroCell still out here in Schaumburg. I tried the support chat to check on outage info. It went like this:

at&t rep: Thank you, Frank. I do know that the Microcell has been down for your area for a while today but there was no estimated time of recovery. Please allow me 2-3 minutes to check and see if that has been updated.

Frank: okay, thanks

Frank: without the microcell, my phone bounces between zero and one bar and I can't make or receive any calls

at&t rep: I do understand Mr. Sugino. I do apologize about that. Unfortunately, there still has been no estimated time of recovery set for this issue. I am sorry.

Frank: Well, in that case can I get a credit on my bill for today?

Frank: I guess this will teach me to give up my land line.

at&t rep: I am sorry but we are unable to issue credits for charges that have not yet been billed. You can contact us when you receive your bill to receive compensation for the days that you were without service Mr. Sugino.

at&t rep: Is there anything else that I can assist you with today Mr. Sugino?

Frank: I was gonna ask for the number of a Verizon salesperson, but I can't make any calls right now Smiley Tongue

Frank: No, I guess I'll just go without service and hope it comes back tomorrow.

at&t rep: We value you as a customer with AT&T and we appreciate your business.  Thank you for visiting AT&T Live Support Chat. It has been my pleasure to assist you today, please click the close button to end your session. A customer satisfaction survey will automatically appear and we appreciate your feedback.

Chat InformationChat session has been terminated by the chat representative.

MicroCell still out here in Schaumburg. I tried the support chat to check on outage info. It went like this:

at&t rep: Thank you, Frank. I do know that the Microcell has been down for your area for a while today but there was no estimated time of recovery. Please allow me 2-3 minutes to check and see if that has been updated.

Frank: okay, thanks

Frank: without the microcell, my phone bounces between zero and one bar and I can't make or receive any calls

at&t rep: I do understand Mr. Sugino. I do apologize about that. Unfortunately, there still has been no estimated time of recovery set for this issue. I am sorry.

Frank: Well, in that case can I get a credit on my bill for today?

Frank: I guess this will teach me to give up my land line.

at&t rep: I am sorry but we are unable to issue credits for charges that have not yet been billed. You can contact us when you receive your bill to receive compensation for the days that you were without service Mr. Sugino.

at&t rep: Is there anything else that I can assist you with today Mr. Sugino?

Frank: I was gonna ask for the number of a Verizon salesperson, but I can't make any calls right now Smiley Tongue

Frank: No, I guess I'll just go without service and hope it comes back tomorrow.

at&t rep: We value you as a customer with AT&T and we appreciate your business.  Thank you for visiting AT&T Live Support Chat. It has been my pleasure to assist you today, please click the close button to end your session. A customer satisfaction survey will automatically appear and we appreciate your feedback.

Chat InformationChat session has been terminated by the chat representative.

11 of 33 (1,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 7:58:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well Frank, at least you discovered that they value us as customers.

Thank goodness for that.

/sarcasm

Well Frank, at least you discovered that they value us as customers.

Thank goodness for that.

/sarcasm

12 of 33 (1,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2010 5:13:23 AM
(0)
Teacher

Came back up sometime during the night.  Working just fine now in Northern Wisconsin.  

Came back up sometime during the night.  Working just fine now in Northern Wisconsin.  

13 of 33 (1,702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2010 6:36:34 AM
(0)
Teacher
Back up in Lakeview neighborhood on northside of Chicago.
Back up in Lakeview neighborhood on northside of Chicago.

14 of 33 (1,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2010 4:41:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

it's out in Idaho too, tried to chat w/AT&T and after running through troubleshooting steps (which I'd already done twice before) they told me not sure what's going on, must be sim card as no towers out in my area. advsd that i get new sim card. On Christmas Eve. I live 30 miles from nearest town that even has an AT&T store and it's Christmas F'n Eve. Sure I'll get a new SIM card no problem. Smiley Happy Oh well, I asked rep to txt my fam/friends and wish them a Merry Christmas since I'm unable to call/text them myself!.

Good luck!

MKAngelus

it's out in Idaho too, tried to chat w/AT&T and after running through troubleshooting steps (which I'd already done twice before) they told me not sure what's going on, must be sim card as no towers out in my area. advsd that i get new sim card. On Christmas Eve. I live 30 miles from nearest town that even has an AT&T store and it's Christmas F'n Eve. Sure I'll get a new SIM card no problem. Smiley Happy Oh well, I asked rep to txt my fam/friends and wish them a Merry Christmas since I'm unable to call/text them myself!.

Good luck!

MKAngelus

15 of 33 (1,509 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 5:48:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

Since the last outage (what started this thread) my microcell has been fine. Until today that is, Its flashed the 3G symbol three seperate times today and now its been out for an hour. I tried the usual power cycling but its not working. Anyone else having issues.

I am in Park Ridge IL

Man I can't wait for Verizon to get the iPhone. I will gladly eat the $175 fee to have the ability to use my phone. 

Since the last outage (what started this thread) my microcell has been fine. Until today that is, Its flashed the 3G symbol three seperate times today and now its been out for an hour. I tried the usual power cycling but its not working. Anyone else having issues.

I am in Park Ridge IL

Man I can't wait for Verizon to get the iPhone. I will gladly eat the $175 fee to have the ability to use my phone. 

16 of 33 (1,416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 6:21:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yup.  Mine is flashing again as well.

Once again, there is a reason AT&T was just named worst wireless carrier in the US

Yup.  Mine is flashing again as well.

Once again, there is a reason AT&T was just named worst wireless carrier in the US

17 of 33 (1,409 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 7:12:42 PM
(0)
Teacher

Down again in Northeastern Wisconsin.  Went down I think around 4:00 PM Central.  Still down at 9:00 PM (12-29-10).  Clearly this is a large problem with AT&T and unrelated to towers.  

Down again in Northeastern Wisconsin.  Went down I think around 4:00 PM Central.  Still down at 9:00 PM (12-29-10).  Clearly this is a large problem with AT&T and unrelated to towers.  

18 of 33 (1,394 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 7:24:16 PM
(0)
Contributor

Mine is out again also, I am in Crystal Lake, IL(Northern IL).  At&T has had terrible customer service with the micro cell. I would suggest calling your credit card company that you bought it with and filing a dispute. They are not holding up their end of the service. 

Mine is out again also, I am in Crystal Lake, IL(Northern IL).  At&T has had terrible customer service with the micro cell. I would suggest calling your credit card company that you bought it with and filing a dispute. They are not holding up their end of the service. 

19 of 33 (1,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 8:23:10 PM
(0)
Tutor
Mine out here as of 7:00PM southeastern Wisconsin, still out as of this writing. 3G light just flashes. Smiley Sad
Mine out here as of 7:00PM southeastern Wisconsin, still out as of this writing. 3G light just flashes. Smiley Sad

20 of 33 (1,371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 8:55:31 PM
(0)
Contributor

Mine was out since mid-afternoon, but it just came back on. Funny - I was just about to get connected to the online chat support person when I noticed that the 3G light stopped blinking. Go figure.

Mine was out since mid-afternoon, but it just came back on. Funny - I was just about to get connected to the online chat support person when I noticed that the 3G light stopped blinking. Go figure.

21 of 33 (1,266 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 8:59:03 PM
(0)
Tutor
Now it is back on with a steady 3G light as of 15 mins ago.
Now it is back on with a steady 3G light as of 15 mins ago.

22 of 33 (1,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2010 10:36:37 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yup, back on in NE Wisconsin as well.  Looks like we are all tied to the same crappy system.  AT&T just doesn't get it.  We purchase a product that doesn't work and then have to purchase another unreliable product to make the first product work.  

We were told towers were going up this year to fix the HUGE holes in their coverage map, 2011 is around the corner and it never happened.

Verizon is going to bring a world of hurt to these guys.  

Yup, back on in NE Wisconsin as well.  Looks like we are all tied to the same crappy system.  AT&T just doesn't get it.  We purchase a product that doesn't work and then have to purchase another unreliable product to make the first product work.  

We were told towers were going up this year to fix the HUGE holes in their coverage map, 2011 is around the corner and it never happened.

Verizon is going to bring a world of hurt to these guys.  

23 of 33 (1,253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2011 7:23:52 PM
(0)
Contributor

Is everyone's still working? Mine seems to be down.

Is everyone's still working? Mine seems to be down.

24 of 33 (1,198 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2011 9:50:32 AM
(0)
Mentor

outage in northwest suburbs of chicago as of 1/6/2011

outage in northwest suburbs of chicago as of 1/6/2011

25 of 33 (1,104 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 2:21:31 PM
(0)
Contributor

Mine just went out this afternoon 3/22/11. Anybody else in the Chicagoland Area?

I'm am trying to wait for the new iPhone before I get the Verizon version but with all of the issues I have been having lately its getting to be ridiculous...

Mine just went out this afternoon 3/22/11. Anybody else in the Chicagoland Area?

I'm am trying to wait for the new iPhone before I get the Verizon version but with all of the issues I have been having lately its getting to be ridiculous...

26 of 33 (777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 2:27:28 PM
(0)
Mentor

Mine is out too, did the power cycle, came back up briefly, but now down again.

near St. Charles

Mine is out too, did the power cycle, came back up briefly, but now down again.

near St. Charles

27 of 33 (773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 2:30:03 PM
(0)
Teacher

Down in Lakeview neighborhood on northside for about an hour now.  This is getting ridiculous.

Down in Lakeview neighborhood on northside for about an hour now.  This is getting ridiculous.

28 of 33 (770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 2:31:33 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have experienced an outage here at home as well. I'm in Peru, IL, about 100 miles west of Chicago, but it is still considered part of the Chicago district. Not sure when it went down, but it is still down now.
I have experienced an outage here at home as well. I'm in Peru, IL, about 100 miles west of Chicago, but it is still considered part of the Chicago district. Not sure when it went down, but it is still down now.

29 of 33 (765 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 2:37:42 PM
(0)
Teacher

Up now on northside at 4:35PM

Up now on northside at 4:35PM

30 of 33 (754 Views)