Check Your iPhone 4's Antenna Reception With Field Test Mode In iOS 4.1:

Master

Check Your iPhone 4's Antenna Reception With Field Test Mode In iOS 4.1:

Now you can put your iPhone into field test mode, which will allow to easily and precisely test your cell signal reception quality. You just need to follow these two easy steps:

• First, upgrade your iPhone 4—or any iPhone—to iOS 4.1.
• Dial *3001#12345#* into your phone.

Done. The signal bars will be replaced with a number (like -85). The more negative the number, the worse the signal is.

Example: -110 is worse than -85. Once activated, you can switch between signal bars and number by touching on the number.

Try the test mode now. Then use a finger to connect the two metal bands on the lower left corner, over the black plastic strip. That will short-circuit the magical gap and bring the phone's signal down quite significantly.

To get out of the field test mode, just hit the home button. [Thanks KTK1990!]

Story link found  here.

Message 1 of 27 (11,504 Views)
Professor

Re: Check Your iPhone 4's Antenna Reception With Field Test Mode In iOS 4.1:

While in "field test mode" if you hold the power button for 5 seconds and then hit the home button you will ALWAYS have the db option and can tap it to bring the bars back...

Message 2 of 27 (11,490 Views)
Master

Here's a tip that will get you into the field test mode more quickly; put "Field Test" and the number to get into it, in your contacts list. Then when you want to do a true test of the reception in your area, just copy the number, and paste it into your iPhones key pad, and hit CALL...... Once this is done, you will be taken to the Test Field screen, which looks something like mine below. I found that my iPhone 4 gets better reception with a -69, than any of the Blackberry devices that I used in the past.

To get out of the Field Test screen, simply hit the HOME button on your iPhone.

Message 3 of 27 (11,489 Views)
Master

Demetri70 wrote:

While in "field test mode" if you hold the power button for 5 seconds and then hit the home button you will ALWAYS have the db option and can tap it to bring the bars back...

As soon as I hit the home button, I am automatically taken out of the Field Test screen.

Message 4 of 27 (11,484 Views)
Professor

While in field test mode you need to force quit. Hold the top button until the slide to power off screen pops up (don't slide) just hold the home button. After that when you tap the bars you get the bd level again. This will stay there all the time unless you restore the phone.

Message 5 of 27 (11,478 Views)
Master

It worked for me that time. Thank you Demetri. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 27 (11,425 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Irish Rose wrote:

Now you can put your iPhone into field test mode, which will allow to easily and precisely test your cell signal reception quality. You just need to follow these two easy steps:

• First, upgrade your iPhone 4—or any iPhone—to iOS 4.1.
• Dial *3001#12345#* into your phone.

Done. The signal bars will be replaced with a number (like -85). The more negative the number, the worse the signal is.

Example: -110 is worse than -85. Once activated, you can switch between signal bars and number by touching on the number.

Try the test mode now. Then use a finger to connect the two metal bands on the lower left corner, over the black plastic strip. That will short-circuit the magical gap and bring the phone's signal down quite significantly.

To get out of the field test mode, just hit the home button. [Thanks KTK1990!]

Story link found  here.

hit the home button after. i get 97  my singal sucks,

Message 7 of 27 (11,383 Views)
Mentor

Is there a magic number threshold that when reached makes the calls drop? I've only had one dropped call but never see more than 2-3 bars. I'm seeing -92 through -120.

Message 8 of 27 (11,367 Views)
Highlighted
Adventurer

Is there a way to turn it off without a restore? Also where can one find other goodies like this one?
Message 9 of 27 (11,342 Views)
ACE - Master

MC_Hammer wrote:

Is there a magic number threshold that when reached makes the calls drop? I've only had one dropped call but never see more than 2-3 bars. I'm seeing -92 through -120.

I seem to recall that with the iPhone 3G, the word was that if the signal hit about -115 or worse, you were at risk of dropping calls.  I know just yesterday that I was on a call in a "known bad reception area" and my signal meter was reading about -117.  That call was breaking up so bad that it was not understandable, but the call didn't drop.  Once I left the bad area the signal jumped to -98 and within a second the call was bad to good quality.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 27 (11,237 Views)
Guru

Very interesting results. I have an otterbox on my iPhone 4 and when I squeeze the bottom where those problems areas are, my signal just fell from -83 to -107 within 10 seconds. When I placed the phone on my desk, it went back to -83.

Message 11 of 27 (10,022 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

I just want to put this out there: Once you "force quit" the field test, the bars/db option will only be removable with a non-backup restore.

I've restored then restored from backup many times and it didnt work. Also, when I had a 3GS, I bought a iPhone 4 - I did a backup restore and the db's came on my new iPhone 4, it was running iOS 4.0. So the backup carries the db option. So once you back your phone up with the db's, you cannot go back whithout using older backup, or just starting from scratch.

Not that I care, personally I love the db's, just wanted to make everyone aware.

Message 12 of 27 (10,009 Views)
ACE - Professor

Great tip.  Thank you.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 13 of 27 (9,935 Views)
ACE - Professor

Nice...

At work... -65 with case on (simple no name green rubbery case thingie) gripping or ungripping

removed case, no chage - gripping or ungripping

tried licking finger/palm first, no change in signal

buried phone in both hands so only top corner was visible... no change

So, in a great signal area, there is no impact.

Will try at home later, where signal is very marginal

Message 14 of 27 (9,917 Views)
ACE - Master

How about immersing the bottom half in a glass of water and tring it for us?  Smiley Very Happy

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
Message 15 of 27 (9,908 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.