Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 11, 2010
11:24:28 AM
View profile
Charging for Data Plan even with all data turned off? How is this legal???

I am unable to upgrade my phone to a smartphone with WiFi capabilities without paying for the $30/mo. Data Plan.  AT&T has the ability to turn off ALL 3G/EDGE data to our phones, but even if it is turned off on their end, they will still charge for the Data Plan.  How is this legal?  Is this not charging for services not rendered? 

I want to upgrade my phone.  I have no text messaging, no data plan, just phone calls.  I have other wi-fi capable devices that I use at home or on the road that do not make phone calls.  I do not use any telecom wireless data services.  I see no reason not to combine them into a single device such as a smartphone that has telephone and wi-fi capabilities under one roof.  However, if I have a smartphone with AT&T, even if I have no intention of using their telecom wireless data services, even if I instruct AT&T to turn off all data to my phone, even if I buy the phone from a 3rd party, AT&T will automatically add a $30/mo. Data Plan to my account.  HOW IS THIS LEGAL??

If I sign up with Time Warner and only want internet access, they won't charge me for TV; they block the TV signal using a trap.  AT&T has the ability to block the 3G/EDGE on their end, but they STILL CHARGE for the Data Plan.  This essentially means that I am unable to upgrade my phone, this cannot stand.  

Peace, vive le roi,

RM25483

I am unable to upgrade my phone to a smartphone with WiFi capabilities without paying for the $30/mo. Data Plan.  AT&T has the ability to turn off ALL 3G/EDGE data to our phones, but even if it is turned off on their end, they will still charge for the Data Plan.  How is this legal?  Is this not charging for services not rendered? 

I want to upgrade my phone.  I have no text messaging, no data plan, just phone calls.  I have other wi-fi capable devices that I use at home or on the road that do not make phone calls.  I do not use any telecom wireless data services.  I see no reason not to combine them into a single device such as a smartphone that has telephone and wi-fi capabilities under one roof.  However, if I have a smartphone with AT&T, even if I have no intention of using their telecom wireless data services, even if I instruct AT&T to turn off all data to my phone, even if I buy the phone from a 3rd party, AT&T will automatically add a $30/mo. Data Plan to my account.  HOW IS THIS LEGAL??

If I sign up with Time Warner and only want internet access, they won't charge me for TV; they block the TV signal using a trap.  AT&T has the ability to block the 3G/EDGE on their end, but they STILL CHARGE for the Data Plan.  This essentially means that I am unable to upgrade my phone, this cannot stand.  

Peace, vive le roi,

RM25483

Charging for Data Plan even with all data turned off? How is this legal???

77 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(77)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2010 9:05:36 AM
(0)
Expert

flen00 wrote:

Wing,

There is no logical reason (other that jacked up fees) to force people to take the data plan.  People have to pay for what they use anyway.  It doesn't matter one bit that other carriers do it too and it doesn't matter that most people do not read the fine print.  Simply let people choose what they want.....the only thing AT&T would lose is the difference between the fee and what people actually use.  OBVIOUSLY, AT&T and the other carriers have determined that they will make more money requiring the data plan than they would otherwise.  Their claim that they did it because people were complaining about being surprised by their data charges is TOTAL BS (I know BS when I see it....I've worked in large corporations for 35+ years).

really, no logical reason? I guess you are privy to all the corporate confidential meetings that went on before this plan was put into place. This is not burger king, you want a smart phone you pay the price or go to a minor carrier that still has not applied the required data plan charges to their smart phones.

Yup I pay a set price for data for my IPhone, I do not pay for what I use, as it is unlimited.

flen00 wrote:

Wing,

There is no logical reason (other that jacked up fees) to force people to take the data plan.  People have to pay for what they use anyway.  It doesn't matter one bit that other carriers do it too and it doesn't matter that most people do not read the fine print.  Simply let people choose what they want.....the only thing AT&T would lose is the difference between the fee and what people actually use.  OBVIOUSLY, AT&T and the other carriers have determined that they will make more money requiring the data plan than they would otherwise.  Their claim that they did it because people were complaining about being surprised by their data charges is TOTAL BS (I know BS when I see it....I've worked in large corporations for 35+ years).

really, no logical reason? I guess you are privy to all the corporate confidential meetings that went on before this plan was put into place. This is not burger king, you want a smart phone you pay the price or go to a minor carrier that still has not applied the required data plan charges to their smart phones.

Yup I pay a set price for data for my IPhone, I do not pay for what I use, as it is unlimited.

Re: Charging for Data Plan even with all data turned off? How is this legal???

61 of 78 (444 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2010 9:28:11 AM
(0)
Professor

drumn_bass wrote:
There is still a difference between what people want and do they actually need it. Are you saying that your wife must absolutely  have a smartphone and just can't exist without one? Of course not. Yeah, a dumb phone won't be as convenient, or a dumb phone + a PDA combo, but it appears that convenience cost extra, wow what a surprise.   

This can be twisted and turned in many different ways, and it has, but it is what it is. I think what has made it more difficult for some to accept is the fact that this is just not something that was a added. For some, it is something that has been taken away. For those that never had a smartphone, it's easier to say "oh well, I guess I wont be getting a smartphone". But for those that already had a smartphone with no data plan and now want to upgrade to a new device, the luxury of not having the data plan requirement is something that has been taken away. And with other carriers, when they implemented, consumers had the option of turning to AT&T. Since AT&T is the last major carrier to implement, there is no other carrier to turn to from here, making it even more frustrating.

drumn_bass wrote:
There is still a difference between what people want and do they actually need it. Are you saying that your wife must absolutely  have a smartphone and just can't exist without one? Of course not. Yeah, a dumb phone won't be as convenient, or a dumb phone + a PDA combo, but it appears that convenience cost extra, wow what a surprise.   

This can be twisted and turned in many different ways, and it has, but it is what it is. I think what has made it more difficult for some to accept is the fact that this is just not something that was a added. For some, it is something that has been taken away. For those that never had a smartphone, it's easier to say "oh well, I guess I wont be getting a smartphone". But for those that already had a smartphone with no data plan and now want to upgrade to a new device, the luxury of not having the data plan requirement is something that has been taken away. And with other carriers, when they implemented, consumers had the option of turning to AT&T. Since AT&T is the last major carrier to implement, there is no other carrier to turn to from here, making it even more frustrating.

62 of 78 (438 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2010 10:31:53 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Glomag on Feb 24, 2010 at 10:54:18 AM

wingrider01 wrote:

really, no logical reason?

I said no logical reason other than simply jacking up fees.  Some of you guys {Uncalled for comment edited - please keep it courteous} don't understand exactly what people are complaining about.

Thanks for the Mythic suggestion.....I will take a look at it.

Message Edited by Glomag on 02-24-2010 01:54:18 PM

wingrider01 wrote:

I said no logical reason other than simply jacking up fees.  Some of you guys {Uncalled for comment edited - please keep it courteous} don't understand exactly what people are complaining about.

[ Edited ]
63 of 78 (426 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2010 4:01:41 AM
(0)
Expert

flen00 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

can come up with a number of logical reason if you think it through without being clouded by the indignation of a price requirement

flen00 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

can come up with a number of logical reason if you think it through without being clouded by the indignation of a price requirement

64 of 78 (399 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2010 7:41:12 AM
(0)
Mentor

wingrider01 wrote:

1.  Collect more fees from customers.

2.  ???

wingrider01 wrote:

2.  ???

65 of 78 (391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2010 10:33:37 AM
(0)
Expert

flen00 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

2.  ???

/rofl that is reactive, not logical, not going to think for you becasue given the tone of the reponses it cannot go beyond the reactive stage.

flen00 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

2.  ???

/rofl that is reactive, not logical, not going to think for you becasue given the tone of the reponses it cannot go beyond the reactive stage.

66 of 78 (382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2010 11:31:53 AM
(0)
Mentor

wingrider01 wrote: 
... not going to think for you...

You couldn't think of any other possibilities either, could you?  If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....it's a duck.

wingrider01 wrote: 

You couldn't think of any other possibilities either, could you?  If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....it's a duck.

67 of 78 (372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2010 12:27:31 PM
(0)
Teacher

RM25483 wrote:

Peace, vive le roi,

RM25483

you obviously just need a basic phone theres no need to complain about not being able to upgrade to a smart phone that your just going to be using for voice, just get a flip phone or a basic bar/slider phone and be happy. if you want a nice phone you have to pay for it. i pay $170 for two iphone plans and my voice and texting and im not complaining because the iphone is something that i wanted and am willing to pay for.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

RM25483 wrote:

Peace, vive le roi,

RM25483

you obviously just need a basic phone theres no need to complain about not being able to upgrade to a smart phone that your just going to be using for voice, just get a flip phone or a basic bar/slider phone and be happy. if you want a nice phone you have to pay for it. i pay $170 for two iphone plans and my voice and texting and im not complaining because the iphone is something that i wanted and am willing to pay for.

68 of 78 (362 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2010 12:31:07 PM
(0)
Teacher

turbo46032 wrote:

Awesome. When my contract with AT&T runs out at the end of 2010, we'll switch our four line family plan to T-Mobile. They have their moments, too but at least understand the basics. It's not like AT&T coverage is going to get any better any time soon...

I would have no problem with mandatory data plans if bringing your own unlocked phones were excluded. 

Okay well T-Mobile has required data packages too and they get less service than at&t does hence why i switched over last april from t-mobile.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

turbo46032 wrote:

Awesome. When my contract with AT&T runs out at the end of 2010, we'll switch our four line family plan to T-Mobile. They have their moments, too but at least understand the basics. It's not like AT&T coverage is going to get any better any time soon...

I would have no problem with mandatory data plans if bringing your own unlocked phones were excluded. 

Okay well T-Mobile has required data packages too and they get less service than at&t does hence why i switched over last april from t-mobile.

69 of 78 (359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2010 12:47:20 PM
(0)
Professor

flen00 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote: 

This is because the logical has already been knocked down. 1) The need to recoup subsidized pricing? Nope. Even if you pay full price and/or bring your own device, carriers still require the data plan. 2) Random data usage? Nope. This is where the carriers could offer that data block, data block = no random data usage. 3) The AT&T official, to get the full experience of the device? Nope. Whatever you can do with the data plan, you can do with wi-fi. 4) To soak up revenue? Yup, this is the one. Of course, this is what the carriers are in business for. However, there comes a point where it crosses over into greed. Notice I said carriers, not just AT&T. Just because the ducks line up in a row does not mean that lead duck is going in the right direction.

flen00 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote: 

This is because the logical has already been knocked down. 1) The need to recoup subsidized pricing? Nope. Even if you pay full price and/or bring your own device, carriers still require the data plan. 2) Random data usage? Nope. This is where the carriers could offer that data block, data block = no random data usage. 3) The AT&T official, to get the full experience of the device? Nope. Whatever you can do with the data plan, you can do with wi-fi. 4) To soak up revenue? Yup, this is the one. Of course, this is what the carriers are in business for. However, there comes a point where it crosses over into greed. Notice I said carriers, not just AT&T. Just because the ducks line up in a row does not mean that lead duck is going in the right direction.

70 of 78 (352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2010 12:57:47 PM
(0)
Mentor

xtoddishardcorex wrote:

you obviously just need a basic phone theres no need to complain about not being able to upgrade to a smart phone....

None of us have the standing to tell anyone else what they need.  If someone wants a 'smartphone' for any reason but doesn't need/want the data plan, it shouldn't be an issue.  AT&T gets paid for any data actually used anyway.  When AT&T or any company trumpets a low price for a phone (like $9.99 for a BB Curve) then tries to slip in an additional $30/month change.....you know what's going on!

xtoddishardcorex wrote:

you obviously just need a basic phone theres no need to complain about not being able to upgrade to a smart phone....

None of us have the standing to tell anyone else what they need.  If someone wants a 'smartphone' for any reason but doesn't need/want the data plan, it shouldn't be an issue.  AT&T gets paid for any data actually used anyway.  When AT&T or any company trumpets a low price for a phone (like $9.99 for a BB Curve) then tries to slip in an additional $30/month change.....you know what's going on!

71 of 78 (494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2010 1:10:08 PM
(0)
Master
AT&T, like other carriers, have provided the rules for adding a new smartphone onto one of their accounts.  We can argue about it until we're blue in the face, but I doubt this policy is going to change anytime soon.
AT&T, like other carriers, have provided the rules for adding a new smartphone onto one of their accounts.  We can argue about it until we're blue in the face, but I doubt this policy is going to change anytime soon.

72 of 78 (489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2010 5:00:58 AM
(0)
Expert

flen00 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote: 

Yup, I have them, but I am not a teacher, people tend to learn more when they think logically for themselves.

Done with this endless illogic loop

flen00 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote: 

Yup, I have them, but I am not a teacher, people tend to learn more when they think logically for themselves.

Done with this endless illogic loop

73 of 78 (468 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2010 6:32:02 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by RM25483 on Feb 26, 2010 at 6:44:20 PM

"you obviously just need a basic phone theres no need to complain about not being able to upgrade to a smart phone that your just going to be using for voice, just get a flip phone or a basic bar/slider phone and be happy. if you want a nice phone you have to pay for it. i pay $170 for two iphone plans and my voice and texting and im not complaining because the iphone is something that i wanted and am willing to pay for."

Clearly you missed the point altogether.  I do not want a smartphone just for voice.  Go back and re-read.  I want a smartphone for all of the great apps and wi-fi connectivity (just like your iPhone, but without the 3G telecom data connectivity).  This is obviously being missed as so many (including the vast majority of customer service representatives with which I have conversed) do not seem to understand the difference between wi-fi and 3G data. 

I do not want to sound ungrateful for your reply and suggestion, but I actually already have what you have suggested.  I have a simple phone for voice, and I have a wi-fi device for smartphone-type applications and connectivity.  There is no reason -- other than AT&T's unfair policy -- for me to not be able to combine those two devices into one: a smartphone with wi-fi capability and no 3G.  It is simple for AT&T to turn off / block the 3G data, but they are refusing because they are making plenty of money off of this policy to pay for their 3G network.  As soon as my wife's contract is up, we are moving to let our wallets do the talking.  Again, me changing my device has nothing to do with AT&T's data network, NOTHING, yet they are charging for me to simply have the phone portion of the smartphone on their phone network.  

"AT&T, like other carriers, have provided the rules for adding a new smartphone onto one of their accounts.  We can argue about it until we're blue in the face, but I doubt this policy is going to change anytime soon."

Again with the "it's the policy, you can't argue" statements.  If a policy is unfair to consumers, we complain and argue about it until enough see the side of those being treated unfairly.  If it turns out to truly be an unjust policy, then sometimes consumer groups are created with a single voice, sometimes civil lawsuits are filed, and sometimes regulators need to step in.  "It's our policy" is not a final answer.  It used to be policy to allow smoking in the office.  It used to be policy to pay for the lawsuits instead of fixing the position of the gas tank.  AT&T has lost numerous civil lawsuits over the years for unfair billing practices and policies.  This is just one more mondo-money-maker policy that is unfair to us as consumers.  

I can understand the policy of: if the data is turned on, charge a flat rate.  It is the same for basic cable, landline phone, and residential Internet.  That is fine, if I want some 3G, I will pay for their flat rate.  But if I have NO 3G data, I should not have to pay at all.  I do not pay the cable company for TV just because I have cable Internet!  I do not pay for DSL just because I have landline phone!  I should not have to pay for 3G data simply because I own a smartphone!

Message Edited by RM25483 on 02-26-2010 06:44:20 PM

"you obviously just need a basic phone theres no need to complain about not being able to upgrade to a smart phone that your just going to be using for voice, just get a flip phone or a basic bar/slider phone and be happy. if you want a nice phone you have to pay for it. i pay $170 for two iphone plans and my voice and texting and im not complaining because the iphone is something that i wanted and am willing to pay for."

Clearly you missed the point altogether.  I do not want a smartphone just for voice.  Go back and re-read.  I want a smartphone for all of the great apps and wi-fi connectivity (just like your iPhone, but without the 3G telecom data connectivity).  This is obviously being missed as so many (including the vast majority of customer service representatives with which I have conversed) do not seem to understand the difference between wi-fi and 3G data. 

I do not want to sound ungrateful for your reply and suggestion, but I actually already have what you have suggested.  I have a simple phone for voice, and I have a wi-fi device for smartphone-type applications and connectivity.  There is no reason -- other than AT&T's unfair policy -- for me to not be able to combine those two devices into one: a smartphone with wi-fi capability and no 3G.  It is simple for AT&T to turn off / block the 3G data, but they are refusing because they are making plenty of money off of this policy to pay for their 3G network.  As soon as my wife's contract is up, we are moving to let our wallets do the talking.  Again, me changing my device has nothing to do with AT&T's data network, NOTHING, yet they are charging for me to simply have the phone portion of the smartphone on their phone network.  

"AT&T, like other carriers, have provided the rules for adding a new smartphone onto one of their accounts.  We can argue about it until we're blue in the face, but I doubt this policy is going to change anytime soon."

Again with the "it's the policy, you can't argue" statements.  If a policy is unfair to consumers, we complain and argue about it until enough see the side of those being treated unfairly.  If it turns out to truly be an unjust policy, then sometimes consumer groups are created with a single voice, sometimes civil lawsuits are filed, and sometimes regulators need to step in.  "It's our policy" is not a final answer.  It used to be policy to allow smoking in the office.  It used to be policy to pay for the lawsuits instead of fixing the position of the gas tank.  AT&T has lost numerous civil lawsuits over the years for unfair billing practices and policies.  This is just one more mondo-money-maker policy that is unfair to us as consumers.  

I can understand the policy of: if the data is turned on, charge a flat rate.  It is the same for basic cable, landline phone, and residential Internet.  That is fine, if I want some 3G, I will pay for their flat rate.  But if I have NO 3G data, I should not have to pay at all.  I do not pay the cable company for TV just because I have cable Internet!  I do not pay for DSL just because I have landline phone!  I should not have to pay for 3G data simply because I own a smartphone!

[ Edited ]
74 of 78 (450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2010 10:45:22 AM
(0)
Professor

RM25483 wrote:

Bottom line:

AT&T changed the requirements in their contracts relating to owning "smartphones". If you buy or own a smartphone after the posted date and plan to use the AT&T wireless service, you must pay for a data plan, period.

What is so hard to understand? It is frustrating as I have 3 smartphones. Yes, I have been grandfathered in, but before their requirement, I wanted to upgrade to 3 new snartphones. Now? I plane to upgrade to 3 new dumbphones that have texting abilities. 

Since every other major carrier has the same requirements, leaving AT&T is not an option.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

RM25483 wrote:

Bottom line:

AT&T changed the requirements in their contracts relating to owning "smartphones". If you buy or own a smartphone after the posted date and plan to use the AT&T wireless service, you must pay for a data plan, period.

What is so hard to understand? It is frustrating as I have 3 smartphones. Yes, I have been grandfathered in, but before their requirement, I wanted to upgrade to 3 new snartphones. Now? I plane to upgrade to 3 new dumbphones that have texting abilities. 

Since every other major carrier has the same requirements, leaving AT&T is not an option.

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

75 of 78 (428 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2010 12:22:40 PM
(0)
Mentor

ghostryder wrote: 

Bottom line:

What is so hard to understand?

Everybody understands that AT&T is charging for a data plan for all smartphones.  People are complaining because AT&T has added a substantial fee that provides no value to some customers and they haven't been very upfront about the new charges (small print doesn't constitute being 'upfront').

ghostryder wrote: 

Bottom line:

Everybody understands that AT&T is charging for a data plan for all smartphones.  People are complaining because AT&T has added a substantial fee that provides no value to some customers and they haven't been very upfront about the new charges (small print doesn't constitute being 'upfront').

76 of 78 (414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2010 12:29:42 PM
(0)
Professor
what company doesn't use small print when it comes to a feature thats required that most people will not use?...it doesn't matter....if you have a smart phone you have the data package...deal with it,....if you come in with an unlocked phone you may not get the data package, but if att gives it to you...deal with it...its the same with all companies now (except tmobile apparently)

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
what company doesn't use small print when it comes to a feature thats required that most people will not use?...it doesn't matter....if you have a smart phone you have the data package...deal with it,....if you come in with an unlocked phone you may not get the data package, but if att gives it to you...deal with it...its the same with all companies now (except tmobile apparently)

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

77 of 78 (411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2010 8:39:42 PM
(0)
Professor

flen00 wrote:

ghostryder wrote: 

Bottom line:

Actually, it was not small print but a fairly large announcement. However, as hard as we try, AT&T won't step back from this "new" contract term until the other big carriers do it first. AT&T is not a leader in the 'steppng back' area , that's for sure.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

flen00 wrote:

ghostryder wrote: 

Bottom line:

Actually, it was not small print but a fairly large announcement. However, as hard as we try, AT&T won't step back from this "new" contract term until the other big carriers do it first. AT&T is not a leader in the 'steppng back' area , that's for sure.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

78 of 78 (400 Views)