Charging different device with one charger

Scholar

Charging different device with one charger

I have a Samsung Galaxy S II the charger of which outputs 5v 550milliamps. I also have a Motorola bluetooth headset whose charger outputs 5v .7 amps - which is equivalent to 700 milliamps. It seems close enough to me that I can charge both with the same charger. Any other views on this?

Message 1 of 4 (302 Views)
Scholar

Re: Charging different device with one charger

should be fine and charging faster

Message 2 of 4 (266 Views)
Professor

If they have the same plug, they both use the USB standard and can use the same charger.
Message 3 of 4 (257 Views)

[ Edited ]

12Chris34 wrote:

I have a Samsung Galaxy S II the charger of which outputs 5v 550milliamps. I also have a Motorola bluetooth headset whose charger outputs 5v .7 amps - which is equivalent to 700 milliamps. It seems close enough to me that I can charge both with the same charger. Any other views on this?

Odd, the GSII stock charger is 5 volts 700 mA I am fairly certain - 550 would not be enough since the charge current limit on an AC charger is 650 mA.

The Motorola charger may charge slowly, not because of the 700 mA limit, but because of how chargers signal the presence of a "dumb charger" to the phone.  Motorola devices frequently do not follow the USB standard for doing this (D+ and D- must be connected together by the charger), Samsungs do.

As a result the Moto charger may get detected as a PC USB port, which will limit charge current to 400 mA on the I777.

Message 4 of 4 (246 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.